*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,907 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Also of note...

Quote:

The Marvel film Black Widow with Scarlett Johansson is not being contemplated for a streaming bow, Deadline hears.

How much of these decisions is being made by studios and how much is being made by investors/producers/cast/staff and related contracts based on sales and points?
TCTTS
AG

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/cineworld-seals-debt-lifeline-ride-101714043.html
TCTTS
AG
I don't quite understand the "based on sales and points" part of your question, as it's the studio who makes the decisions "based on sales points" and dozens of other factors and not any of those other people you mentioned.
tysker
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't quite understand the "based on sales and points" part of your question, as it's the studio who makes the decisions "based on sales points" and dozens of other factors and not any of those other people you mentioned.
I probably worded my inquiry poorly. And as if often the case in these conversations, I'm probably interchanging words that mean different things to people more in the know, such as yourself. It's more a question of the politics and money behind the calculus not to send movies to platforms like Disney+ and push theater release dates back seemingly indefinitely. Studios have the ultimate say correct, but is the streaming vs. theater release location known prior? From the outside looking in it seems to be some properties are accepted as theater releases, but is the difference known in advance (i.e. contracted) and can/will that change?

In sending a film like Black Widow (the only female Avenger with a brand-name, superstar lead in possibly her final performance in the role) straight to Disney+, could it affect how others (e.g. investors, producers, directors, actors, etc) respond to future projects and roles versus if they are essentially 'guaranteed' to have a theatrical release. It seems like it would be hard to get A-Listers to be a part of projects that may be straight-to-video or straight-to-streaming, as decided by the studio, without a corresponding adjustment to compensation.

From the studio perspective, Black Widow may or may not be a hit, and it may or may not be profitable but regardless having a theatrical release continues a sort of tradition of movies within the Marvel universe and still could be a loss leader. Studios can and will play the long game but producers, investors, directors, actors, and crew generally are playing a much shorter game. For all we know the studio may have language stating Scarlett Johansson must have one more 'theatrical release' to fulfill her contract and they are pushing BW into theaters so both parties don't have to force BW into another movie. Or maybe the studio doesn't want to send such an A-list actress, in a premier role down to streaming because it knows she wont work for that studio again. (not saying that is what is happening, just spitballing)

That being said if studio has the power and discretion to send a movie like BW to Disney+ or other streaming service, I imagine it creates a kind of future potential risk and potential structural change to certain movie properties could get forced to streaming services that originally were planned, financed and staffed.

edit: And I appreciate these issues are super complex and the mechanisms are often purposefully opaque so I'm talking in generalities when more nuance is likely very much needed
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/godzilla-vs-kong-likely-the-latest-tentpole-to-go-to-a-streamer-exclusive
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/coronavirus-movie-theaters-release-dates-1234842520/
cone
AG
I don't understand why they're not making us pay for this in the early going

I would 100% pay 20 bucks to see a new action movie
TCTTS
AG
It's all about adding HBO Max subscriptions. WarnerMedia desperately wants to close the subscriber gap between HBO Max and Netflix/Amazon/Disney+. For whatever reasons, that's more important to them than just about anything right now.
nosoupforyou
AG
When do tickets go on sale? We want to see a movie in the theaters so we are in for Christmas Day
TCTTS
AG
I haven't heard yet. Because of sporadic theater openings, I doubt there's a big announcement. I'd just ask your local theater.
YNWA_AG
AG

Wow
cone
AG
if they can just hold off Dune until the summer, i'd definitely go see it in person

the vaccine should really help

that's the sort of spectacle i want a theater for
BoydCrowder13
YNWA_AG said:

Wow

This is insanity.
fig96
AG
Was just coming to post and figured it had already been covered.

Just, wow.
TCTTS
AG
I cannot get over this. The movie business may have very well changed forever today.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Seriously, how do these WB executives still have jobs today?
cone
AG
It would be insane not to charge me money to see Dune

I would pay 50 bucks to see it today
BoydCrowder13
How on earth will theaters stay in business? Who is going to go?
TCTTS
AG
I guarantee you this is a mandate from the top at WarnerMedia. For whatever reasons, all the parent company cares about right now is closing the subscriber gap between HBO Max and Netflix/Amazon/Disney+.
cone
AG
well this will certainly do that
veryfuller
Staff
AG
For sure. I think this is a wise marketing move for them. Its likely that theaters don't return to pre-covid box office numbers (which were already dwindling) in 2021. They are leveraging a bad situation to try to shore up their long term goal of HBO Max subscribers. The problem is they are likely going to kill theaters and therefore blockbuster filmmaking in the process. I don't see a way for studios to make movies at the $150 million+ budget and still make money when they can't make the box office cash. Maybe I'm wrong and they have a plan for this. But in my estimation...theaters are dead and the only blockbuster storytelling we will see will be in the limited series vain with maybe 1-2 more BIG films on each of the platforms.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

For sure. I think this is a wise marketing move for them. Its likely that theaters don't return to pre-covid box office numbers (which were already dwindling) in 2021. They are leveraging a bad situation to try to shore up their long term goal of HBO Max subscribers. The problem is they are likely going to kill theaters and therefore blockbuster filmmaking in the process. I don't see a way for studios to make movies at the $150 million+ budget and still make money when they can't make the box office cash. Maybe I'm wrong and they have a plan for this. But in my estimation...theaters are dead and the only blockbuster storytelling we will see will be in the limited series vain with maybe 1-2 more BIG films on each of the platforms.

I don't think it's nearly as simple as saying "theaters are dead." There will be FAR fewer theaters, no doubt, but the act of seeing blockbusters - and even some smaller movies - in a movie theater, with a paying audience, isn't going anywhere. There will always be a certain amount of demand for the theatrical experience, even if *everything* goes day-and-date to streaming (which it won't). Again, A LOT of theaters are going to die, but a lot will still be around, and thrive. Personally, if I have the option, I sure as sh*t will be seeing most of these movies in a theater, as will millions others like me.
cone
AG
there's certainly going to be a market for spectacle

I think that's human and not going away

but we were completely oversaturated in the before times

I don't know what that means for the future but I think the concept of the theater is not completely replaceable by my HD TV. there's still a market for community and human energy. just not as big, clearly.
cone
AG
to be honest, blockbusters would be the only thing I would see as largely durable insofar as they do have that social event edge

rom coms, kids movies, dramas... all of those seem much more able to be streamed with little loss of experience fidelity

open question - is the post vaccination America going to have lost the habit for social experiences or is it going to be the jazz age?
tysker
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

How on earth will theaters stay in business? Who is going to go?
Theaters will be bought by studios for pennies on the dollar. Blumhouse has shown studios can make money with non-blockbusters. I dont think there will be consolidation in the theater space but more likely certain locations will be shuttered and maybe even sold for real estate value.

Or maybe repurposing the theaters could be great way for colleges and HS to expand remote video classes and lectures.
Duncan Idaho
With all the new star wars content it will be the Jizz Age

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jizz/Legends
Duncan Idaho
The valuation model completely changes if they rebrand themselves as a streaming platform and not a production studio.

I had a client that shifted their focus from providing loans to their online loan procurement site and mobile ap. Long story short, they are now considered a FinTec company that also holds a loan portfolio.
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/theater-stocks-warner-bros-hbo-max-matrix-4-dune-1234845702/
veryfuller
Staff
AG
By "theaters are dead" I guess I mean movie-going has we have come to know it.

The people who love theaters and grew up in the golden age of blockbuster films (1980s-2010) are aging out of the demo. We have jobs and kids and families and can't see 2-4 movies per month in theaters.

I definitely would prefer seeing movies in theaters, in theory. But when it comes down to it, Dune and The Matrix are the only titles on that list that I would care to actually go through the hassle of seeing on the big screen if the option to see it at home was available. And I use the word hassle as -- paying for a ticket, driving to the theater, sneaking in movie candy or paying for concessions, etc. etc. And I love going to the theater by myself, so trying to find someone to go with and a time to go with them isn't even calculated into that. I was going to 1-2 movies / month pre-Covid as a movie fan. If some of those I can watch at home for "free", then I'd probably do that. Especially if it doesn't get good reviews or is something I'm passively interested in, or I want to do a double feature night or something.

I think the pull to watch things at home was already a huge factor before Covid. Now studios are making it so much easier. And I think kids growing up post 2000 or really in the age of streaming don't have a huge preference for how they consume media or would prefer to watch at home. And that is the money making group of people. Also families with kids would probably much rather watch the new animated movie at home so if their kid cries in the middle they can pause it or it doesn't matter to the theater full of people.

There are just a lot of examples why watching at home is more economical for most people. The only people who will care are film fans, and I don't think that is a large enough demo to keep the industry as we have known it a float.
Duncan Idaho
I'm not gonna lie, a 4k THX vr set and I would never step foot in a theater again
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

veryfuller said:

I don't think it's nearly as simple as saying "theaters are dead." There will be FAR fewer theaters, no doubt, but the act of seeing blockbusters - and even some smaller movies - in a movie theater, with a paying audience, isn't going anywhere. There will always be a certain amount of demand for the theatrical experience, even if *everything* goes day-and-date to streaming (which it won't). Again, A LOT of theaters are going to die, but a lot will still be around, and thrive. Personally, if I have the option, I sure as sh*t will be seeing most of these movies in a theater, as will millions others like me.
I really think you over estimate how much people enjoy theaters. Out of that list of movies, the only one I really want to see in theaters is probably Dune. And while I'm not as into movies as you, I'm definitely way above average. Almost no one I know watches as many films as me.

I do think you're right in that nationwide its millions who want to see movies in the theater, but given the option of home and at the theater I think that dwindles quite a bit.

cone
AG
here's the thing

don't you sometimes want an excuse to do something outside the house

I'm pretty tired of staying in at night. are people going to replace the activity with bowling leagues or some ****?
Duncan Idaho
Of bowling leagues could return to their 1960s heyday, I would be all kinds of on board.

https://priceonomics.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-professional-bowling/

cone

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.