*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,919 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
aggiedata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

mrsbeer05
AG
Jod Diffie died due to Covid-19 complications
Stat Monitor Repairman
I heart radio special on Fox makes me wish I had the 'Rona.
Quad Dog
AG
This is a creative workaround. Cool idea
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamos/2020/03/30/texas-cinemas-drive-in-is-a-blockbuster-opening-weekend-hit/#594741fb5d6a

Quote:

This weekend, Lone Star state-based EVO Entertainment debuted its drive-in concept at its multiplex in Schertz, TX, providing movie fans an out-of-the-home outlet to watch recent Hollywood blockbusters. To say the first weekend was a success was an understatement as every show of Spider-Man Homecoming since it opened on Friday has been sold out. In fact, every ticket through Tuesday has been sold and the theater is planning on adding additional showtimes later this week.

Every evening, movie fans can park their cars in the theater parking lot and enjoy a film from the COVID-safe confines of their automobile. Screenings are free and patrons can order food from the theater's kitchen. Reservations are highly recommended.

As to how it works from a technical aspect, the exterior wall of the theater was painted with high-grain white paint for increased visibility and sound is transmitted directly to each vehicle through AM/FM radios. Indoor rest rooms are available with sanitary and social distancing measures in place. Films begin at dusk and end in time to meet the local area's 10 p.m. curfew restriction.
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/summer-movies-fast-9-coronavirus-ghostbusters-afterlife-wonder-woman-1984-1203550310/
Bunk Moreland
Hold strong Top Gun. There's still a sliver of a chance
TCTTS
littlebitofhifi
AG
More moves from Universal. Minions already announced would move but now officially to July 2021, Sing 2 to Dec 2021, Wicked undated.

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/03/coronavirus-movie-release-calendar
TCTTS
AG

https://screencrush.com/watch-hbo-for-free-coronavirus/
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

https://screencrush.com/watch-hbo-for-free-coronavirus/
A lot of this news sucks for us movie buffs, but this is pretty great. Props to HBO.
nosoupforyou
AG
besides Sopranos and Game of Thrones - for those of us who don't watch HBO, what am I missing that I should get it for the next month?

Don't want to derail this thread but quick answer or two would be nice?
TCTTS
AG
Oh, man...

Succession
Veep
Silicon Valley
Barry
and
The Wire

... are all incredible.
fig96
AG
Also Watchmen, True Detective, and I liked His Dark Materials a lot.
TCTTS
AG
I was only naming the free shows, as the others aren't part of this offer, but yeah, those are great too (though I never saw His Dark Materials).
Bunk Moreland
I would watch The Wire immediately if you haven't already seen it.
fig96
AG
Ah, gotcha, I hadn't checked the listings.

I liked His Dark Materials, story was a bit unclear in places but the art direction is phenomenal.

And I need to finish The Wire.
Sex Panther
AG
The Wire and The Sopranos are two Mount Rushmore shows
jkag89
If you like history -

Band of Brothers
The Pacific
From the Earth to the Moon
Chernobyl
John Adams
TCTTS
AG
Well this doesn't sound good (though I admittedly only understood about half of it)...

https://www.thewrap.com/amcs-credit-rating-downgraded-by-sp-with-recovery-unlikely/
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Sex Panther
AG
Can't wait for Amazon and Disney theaters, coming Fall 2020
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. Feels like the movie industry is on the verge of potential significant change, depending on how long this lasts.
Serious Lee
did they ever upscale "the wire" into high def?
Bunk Moreland
fig96 said:

And I need to finish The Wire. by starting over from the pilot and watching all the way through.

FIFY
Quad Dog
AG
A Netflix chain of theatres would be really interesting.
Local showings based on meta data on what everyone near you watched, etc.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Quad Dog
AG
I more meant that if there was a company out there that could/would do something interesting and innovative with theatres, it would be Netflix. I agree it wouldn't make financial sense to take on the burden.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
fig96
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

fig96 said:

And I need to finish The Wire. by starting over from the pilot and watching all the way through.

FIFY
Noted.
Quad Dog
AG
Yes, but those are still guesses and catered towards a small movie buff audience. Netflix has the data and the algorithms to know exactly what a larger audience in a specific area wants to see. For example, a certain amount of people in a town add a movie to their Netflix watchlist, and it gets screened in a nearby theatre, those people get a notification telling them of the showing, and they get first dibs on tickets. Most of the cost of the tickets would already by in their subscription. Netflix would be capable of catering to their audience like no other theatre ever. That's the way you make money these days with the saturation of entertainment by catering to a specific audience, but make that audience as large as you can.
This is all hypothetical because it probably won't happen, but Netflix has also been willing to spend money on their product, so they could do things like buy the rights to show Sunday Night Football or the NBA Finals. They would make a ton of money on beer and food every Sunday.
I think it would be a lot of fun to watch something like Stranger Things in a theatre every week. Netflix would be willing to break the mold and try things like that.
Edit to add that Amazon could go stuff like this too if they wanted.
littlebitofhifi
AG
This is pretty cool. Not sure how well this helps monetize the films for creators but as a consumer, I'll happily support an online film festival later this month.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/2/21205834/amazon-prime-video-sxsw-2020-films-virtual-film-festival
Capstone
AG
Disney+ just added Onward to their platform.
MBAR
AG
jkag89 said:

If you like history -

Band of Brothers
The Pacific
From the Earth to the Moon
Chernobyl
John Adams
God Chernobyl would be a slog rn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.