*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,977 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think we're all basically saying the same thing, just to varying degrees. We all agree that a sh*t ton of movie theaters are going to die, but there will still be plenty that still show blockbusters, and some that will likely still show indies and the like in bigger cities. Just how many "plenty" is remains unknown/is up for debate, as is the number of millions who will still pay to see movies theatrically, but theaters *will* still exist in some form or fashion. Maybe only in cities with a certain population, but if you want the theatrical experience, and live close enough to a big enough city, you'll be able to watch a movie theatrically. I just think they're going to be more and more like, say, sporting events or concert venues rather than a grocery store in terms of access and availability.
Fairview
AG
On the plus side think of all the Spirit Halloween megastores that will be able to pop up in the empty theater spaces for 6 weeks a year.
TCTTS
AG
The way I saw someone phrase the ideal scenario on Twitter, and a good way to think about how everything will likely eventually shake out, is this...

The theatrical run of a movie should essentially be the "ad campaign" for its eventual release on streaming, three weeks to a month later.

That's basically what Universal's deal with AMC and Cinemark is, and in 2022, what I imagine Warner Bros will pivot to after this 2021 run, where Covid will still be an issue for at least the first six months of the year, if not longer.

So, basically every major movie - be it blockbusters, Oscar fare, popular mid-budget flicks, etc - would see a short theatrical window - kind of like an exclusive "preview" - but will then go to its respective streaming service, or VOD, after three or four weeks in theaters. That's the sweet spot that satisfies all parties, and what I believe will be the standard by 2022/2023 or so.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I think this is the goal, but I think really where things will shake out is studios are going to have to buy the theater chains or bail them out (give them an increase in revenue %) if they want this to happen. The former seems like the only realistic scenario. Otherwise, the shortened window is going to cause too many theaters to close and probably keep investment from pouring in to the theater market unless some other innovation/change happens.

I've thought that theaters on demand would be some sort of future in the business, where you can pick from a studios catalog to watch in the theater. If that were possible there would be movies I would watch exclusively in theaters (Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Nolan movies), especially showing them to my kids for the first time. I don't know how they could make that work economically because the $150 rental fee they have been charging in Covid is a bit steep for anything other than a large party, but I think there is an idea there that could work possibly.

So theaters show first runs for a few weeks and also have deals with HBO Max or Disney + to allow people to come watch films in those catalogs on the big screen. Or those companies buy the theaters and allow subscribers to do that for a screener fee.
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

I think this is the goal, but I think really where things will shake out is studios are going to have to buy the theater chains or bail them out (give them an increase in revenue %) if they want this to happen. The former seems like the only realistic scenario. Otherwise, the shortened window is going to cause too many theaters to close and probably keep investment from pouring in to the theater market unless some other innovation/change happens.

I've thought that theaters on demand would be some sort of future in the business, where you can pick from a studios catalog to watch in the theater. If that were possible there would be movies I would watch exclusively in theaters (Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Nolan movies), especially showing them to my kids for the first time. I don't know how they could make that work economically because the $150 rental fee they have been charging in Covid is a bit steep for anything other than a large party, but I think there is an idea there that could work possibly.

So theaters show first runs for a few weeks and also have deals with HBO Max or Disney + to allow people to come watch films in those catalogs on the big screen. Or those companies buy the theaters and allow subscribers to do that for a screener fee.

Why would shortened windows cause theaters to close? They'd be rotating through MORE content at a faster pace than ever before. That, and the Universal/AMC/Cinemark deal ensures that AMC gets a share of VOD revenue from movies *after* they leave theaters, and I imagine similar deals will continue to be adopted. Shortened windows won't cause theaters to close. The pandemic is going to do that. But the theaters that do survive, or are resurrected under new ownership, will have more product than ever before, and more potential revenue streams that ever before, with less competition from other theaters (since a huge chunk of them will have died off). I'm not saying a version of the model you're suggesting won't come to fruition as well, but shortened windows aren't a theater-killer.
fig96
AG
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I see your point. I just think that less people will feel the urgency to go to the theater to see something if it comes out at home in 3-4 weeks instead of 3 months or more. Sure Avengers Endgame still makes bank, but Christopher Nolan type blockbusters, that usually have longer legs at the theater and not HUGE front loaded box office grosses, will not be big money makers.

And with revenue sharing, it just depends on the model the studios take in how they make movies available after they run in theaters. Will they be "free" for subscribers? Does that mean sharing subscription revenue with theater chains?

I just think that theaters were already struggling with the status quo before the pandemic and a shortened release window is not going to help them make more money.
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

I think we're all basically saying the same thing, just to varying degrees. We all agree that a sh*t ton of movie theaters are going to die, but there will still be plenty that still show blockbusters, and some that will likely still show indies and the like in bigger cities. Just how many "plenty" is remains unknown/is up for debate, as is the number of millions who will still pay to see movies theatrically, but theaters *will* still exist in some form or fashion. Maybe only in cities with a certain population, but if you want the theatrical experience, and live close enough to a big enough city, you'll be able to watch a movie theatrically. I just think they're going to be more and more like, say, sporting events or concert venues rather than a grocery store in terms of access and availability.
Yeah I agree with this 100%
TCTTS
AG

MBAR
AG
If I had to guess they probably showed them the Tenet numbers and they spoke for themselves.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Can you imagine if WB had a Christopher Nolan movie on their slate for next year? I mean, he refused to allow Tenet to bypass theaters during a pandemic so being told his movie would go straight to streaming just to boost subscriptions would not be an option for him.

I highly doubt a director like him would be okay with this and would never work for this studio again.
cone
AG
does talent (both onscreen and off) have any leverage whatsoever right now?

the mechanism by which they previously printed money is fubar
Enviroag02
AG
This is just anecdotal but I have a non-A list friend who has acted in and produced some movies, tv shows, commercials and has a young son who is kicking off his acting career at the moment. Both the dad and son are having their best year ever even in the middle of a pandemic.
tysker
AG
Enviroag02 said:

This is just anecdotal but I have a non-A list friend who has acted in and produced some movies, tv shows, commercials and has a young son who is kicking off his acting career at the moment. Both the dad and son are having their best year ever even in the middle of a pandemic.
That's great to hear. I would think the professional, non-A listers, the journeyman if you will, would be in great demand. The people you can trust, don't cost as much, understand their role, and don't have baggage are probably loved in a time of high stress and uncertainty.
Bunk Moreland
Agree with the above...

I have a friend who's brother has been an actor in many movies/commercials the last 20 years...last 3-4 his work really started to slow down. During the pandemic he's popped back up in 2 national commercials. I could see a situation where it's tougher to do casting calls etc so once they do them they just go with a known quantity they've worked with in the past.
fig96
AG
I think this will have less impact on talent than some are thinking. Theaters may need to start rethinking their models, but nothing about this affects the number of films being put out or the massive dollars being poured into streaming content.

We've got Hollywood A-listers headlining films for Netflix and similar talent on Disney+ shows, and that's not going away anytime soon.
Duncan Idaho
2021. The year of "that guy"
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Not sure if this is the right thread, but Twista is tired of Coronavirus lockdowns:

Regardless of your thoughts on how we handle coronavirus, I wish this style of rap was more dominant than the current mumble rap that is popular right now.
c-jags
fig96 said:

I think this will have less impact on talent than some are thinking. Theaters may need to start rethinking their models, but nothing about this affects the number of films being put out or the massive dollars being poured into streaming content.

We've got Hollywood A-listers headlining films for Netflix and similar talent on Disney+ shows, and that's not going away anytime soon.

Just in terms of action "star power," Superman, Jaime Foxx, Thor, Spiderman, Winter Soldier, Captain America, Black Widow, Falcon, Kylo Ren, etc. have all done straight to Netflix films in the last year.

In terms of more artsy roles, Amy Adams, Glen Close, SBC, Eddie Redmayne, MBB, etc. have all done movies for Netflix.

agreed, i don't think actors are going to shy away from Netflix any time soon as well.
MBAR
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but Twista is tired of Coronavirus lockdowns:

Regardless of your thoughts on how we handle coronavirus, I wish this style of rap was more dominant than the current mumble rap that is popular right now.
Mumble rap is not popular right now.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.vulture.com/2020/12/panic-over-the-warner-bros-hbo-max-news-sets-in.html
TCTTS
AG

Pahdz
If Top Gun: Maverick never sees a big screen I'm gonna cry
TCTTS
AG
It will.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Aust Ag
AG
Don't forget about the "teenager component " here. I have 2 older ones who are very frustrated with the theatre situation right now. Who doesn't remember how much fun it was going to see a movie with your friends or girlfriend/boyfriend? They're always going to want to get out and do something away from parents. That will never change.
h1ag
AG
Pahdz said:

If Top Gun: Maverick never sees a big screen I'm gonna cry
I'll definitely see TG in theaters whenever it comes out, but I've been waiting for this movie long enough, it it streams, I'm watching day 1 it's available, then heading to the theater whenever it gets there.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.thedailybeast.com/filmmaker-steven-soderbergh-on-hbo-max-the-death-of-cinema-and-vibing-with-meryl-streep
MBAR
AG
Sure revenue is at all time highs but what about profits? And how any films contributed to that revenue? I don't think theaters are going to disappear but those tweets are missing a lot of context.
YNWA_AG
AG
Duncan Idaho
i really hope this doens't **** up the follow up films.
fig96
AG
YNWA_AG said:

This is where I see some of the complications on the HBO plan. If WB wasn't the sole financier of these projects I can totally understand others taking issue with them deciding to release a project on their own platform the same day as theaters.

Also, if they did this without letting others (Legendary in this case) know...wow. Lawyers are gonna have a field day with this one.
AliasMan02
AG
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/filmmaker-steven-soderbergh-on-hbo-max-the-death-of-cinema-and-vibing-with-meryl-streep

So is the eventual transition to immersive 3D going to help or hurt theaters? The next elite cinema experience will be using 3D rigs like Oculus. But will it be sitting at home watching, or will it be sitting in a space with other people while wearing a headset for $15 instead of buying your own rig?

Immersive 3D won't be your home option if you're watching reruns of 30 Rock while doing the dishes, but to watch the next Star Wars or MI or whatever? That's probably a "plugged in" experience.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.