*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,994 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A coalition made up of the Directors Guild of America, National Association of Theater Owners, Motion Picture Association, and dozens of big names has written a letter urging the government to help bail out the theaters...

https://www.natoonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Creatives-Letter-to-Leadership-FINAL.pdf
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

https://theplaylist.net/gerard-butler-greenland-pvod-hbo-release-20201001/
I saw the preview for this when I saw "Akira" a week ago....and I swear I thought it was a sequel to Butler's terrible "Geostorm" movie from a few years back.
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

A coalition made up of the Directors Guild of America, National Association of Theater Owners, Motion Picture Association, and dozens of big names has written a letter urging the government to help bail out the theaters...

https://www.natoonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Creatives-Letter-to-Leadership-FINAL.pdf
A well written letter, brings up some good points. I just hope some of those wealthy names attached are doing their part before they ask for your money and mine.
toucan82
I'm so desperate for new movies in theaters that I actually thought this looked half-decent
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.boxofficepro.com/amc-theater-reopenings-california-michigan-north-carolina-october/

https://deadline.com/2020/10/sp-cuts-amc-ent-debt-rating-says-chain-has-six-months-of-cash-left-unless-it-raises-more-capital-or-attendance-improves-1234590276/
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
YNWA_AG
AG
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
That's it for 2020, I'm afraid. The few remaining blockbusters will now move to 2021, theaters will ultimately close, and who knows what happens at that point. I hope I'm wrong, but it's not looking good.
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Moving back a month to avoid Bond...

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/f9-release-date-delay-1234791197/
TCTTS
AG
Pro Ag
AG
I guess I should go ahead and do the AMC on demand stuff to use the couple of $50 giftcards I have versus potentially not getting anything out of it.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/no-time-to-die-movie-theaters-struggle-1234790996/
J. Walter Weatherman
I probably already know the answer to this, but what are the chances that any of these movies move back up in 2021? Let's say a vaccine is ready and distributed quicker than people think and/or the virus burns out, any chance one of these big movies decides to move back up? There has to be some calculation on their part that theaters actually have to be around for them to have a future right?
TCTTS
AG
If there's some kind of miracle along those lines, yeah, we could see some of these movies move up a month or so, especially the ones that are already complete. Studios and theaters obviously want and need to make money again as soon as possible and would be willing, in certain instances, to shift from some of the more clustered parts of the calendar in what will be an insanely packed 2021. But I don't think we would see any titles move too far up, if only because studios will need enough to time to properly market them. If January is suddenly looking promising enough to open theaters again, and studios know people will show, I could see Paramount, for instance, move A Quiet Place Part II - a movie that's been complete for months - up from the end of April to maybe the middle of February or the beginning of March. But I can't see it suddenly appearing in January, because Paramount will need time to get the marketing machine going again.
TCTTS
AG
And so it begins...

c-jags
Went and saw Hocus Pocus with the family at cinemark. There was about 15 people in there and parking lot was about 25% full.

There's just no way theaters can make it if this keeps up.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Official...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-05/cineworld-shuts-theaters-after-movie-delays-risking-45-000-jobs
Malachi Constant
AG

Bird Poo
AG
Does that include Cinemark?

Not surprising when society is absolutely terrified to even sit next to someone or be in a crowd.
Duncan Idaho
Remember back in April when someone saying this would happen was something to laugh at?

Duncan Idaho
The reason people aren't going to theaters isn't because they don't think the theaters aren't clean, they aren't going because the idea of being in a room with a bunch of people, much less one where no one is (effectively) wearing a mask is not a relaxing idea. Especially to most people in the sense urban markets that have been hit the hardest. Rural area and trump country might be able to operate with a string of big releases but I don't see the theaters making that sacrifice until things get real bad.

The attraction of a theater is seeing a movie with a crowd. People's discomfort of being in a crowd is very real. No movie is going to be able to tip those scales far enough for it to be profitable to justify releasing a tent pole until there is a vaccine or the studios get so desperate for cash that they are forced to sacrifice films for pennies on the dollar hoping to keep afloat until the tide changes. Then there are also the game theory aspects of that scenario; why should I be sacrifice Dune to prime the pump when I could just wait for them to release Bond and ride their coat tails?

I just think people won't be comfortable sitting in a crowd inside a theater until they are comfortable sitting outside in a crowded stadium watching an NFL or NBA game. When professional sports get back to 80-90% capacity with virtually no one wearing masks, people will start returning to theaters in sustainable numbers. Until then...

Bunk Moreland
I know I'm probably not representative of most people, but I have no issues sitting in a large crowd at a football game or inside a theater...even if some around me may not be being the most responsible with their masks/cleanliness.
Duncan Idaho
Wow that is shocking about mulan. I figured it would have been pretty successful in china.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Well, it's hard to know exactly how people would react to crowded theaters right now when we've had almost no options to go and see.

Let's face it: "Tenet" was a terrible movie to try and save theaters. It was incredibly convoluted, requires multiple viewings just to understand it, and has the absolute WORST sound mixing in a Hollywood movie....ever. Not exactly the best film to bring in the widest audience back into the theaters. And "Bill and Ted" only appeals to a small group of fans and would have probably topped out at around $50 million with a normal release anyway.

It's a complicated situation: would enough people come back to watch a big blockbuster (like Wonder Woman 84) to make it worthwhile for the studios to risk releasing them right now? Honestly, there's only one way to find out, but everyone is cautiously waiting until 2021, and there may be far fewer theaters left by then.
tysker
AG
Its a bit of a chicken or egg thing isn't it. How many people don't want to spend time and money in theater with the current protocols and restrictions in place? I'm sure there are many people fearful of spending time inside with others but also there are many more that have already spent hours indoors at work, in schools, in restaurants, in malls etc. I've been a couple of times now and the safety protocols make the whole thing kind of annoying. I'm sure it's all unpleasant enough for some to question if the whole thing is worth it especially when the movie options are OK at best. It's just not all that fun. Considering the current batch of new movie releases are generally subpar, and the theaters cannot provide a quality experience in a comfortable atmosphere because of local/state regs why would anyone attend, regardless of their feelings of covid?
TCTTS
AG
Welp. I guess this means The Batman is moving as well, since this is the same day Warner Bros currently has that pic scheduled...

https://collider.com/dune-movie-new-release-date-delayed-2021/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.