*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,942 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PatAg
AG
I just don't see any future where theaters arent eventually open showing movies again.
It might be longer than we'd like, but going to the theater is still better than your house. It doesn't matter how good a setup you have at home.

I guess the only real question would be, which companies will still be in business by the time the public feels comfortable going to the movies en masse again.
Duncan Idaho
Without a doubt theaters will return and enjoy a resurgence.

It will just take so long to get there that most of the current operators will be out of business.

If they break the antitrust rules on studio ownership, they will comeback faster but in smaller numbers. 3 major chains taking over isn't a hard future to imagine. Disney has the experience from running their parks and would undoubtedly make awesome theaters. They have had some terrible misteps, but on the whole I would never bet amazon on anything they try at scale that ties in with prime. NBCUniversal has their experience with parks.

Not sure how it would effect the magnolias and alamos of the world.
fig96
AG
The Disney pivot to streaming is super intriguing and I don't quite know what to make of it.

I get that they've got a lot of subscribers from Disney Plus, but I can't imagine that those people are subscribing based on feature film content for the most part. The appeal of the platform is all of their shows combined with the archive of great content.

So with that in mind, and acknowledging that something like Soul is being released on Disney Plus largely due to pandemic restrictions, do new releases on Disney Plus really move the needle that much? I get maybe shortening the release window from theater to digital, but eliminating the theater all together just doesn't make a lot of sense to me for most films.
cone
AG
I'm just curious what's going to be the price point to stream a new release for 24 hours

will family fare be more expensive? all the same?

it can't be cheaper than going to the theater or you'll shove another dagger in
SF2004
AG
Called this. The studios killed themselves trying to save a overbuilt fledging business model. They could have raked in a lot of dollars by releasing Top Gun 2 etc to streaming but they continue to step on their own dick.

Theaters as we know it are going down. The resurgence will be places like Alamo Draft Houston, Studio Movie, etc. It will be a totally different experience and movies will have much shorter windows before hitting streaming.

Disney finally has had enough and are going to capitalize.
TCTTS
AG
Wow. Coming 2 America sticking to its December 18th release date, but Paramount has sold it to Amazon, and it will be a Prime Video exclusive. Amazon now has the sequels to Borat and Coming to America as streaming exclusives this October and December, respectively...

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/eddie-murphys-coming-2-america-moves-from-paramount-to-amazon-studios-1234799523/
MBAR
AG
I do think there is a future for movie theaters, but the days of EVERY movie going to theaters is over. I even wonder if they'll do tiered pricing for movies at theaters. Hey want to see the new Avengers? Its more expensive in theaters than other movies.

Seems like COVID just fast forwarded what was eventually coming, honestly.
TCTTS
AG
In agreement on all accounts. I hate to see certain theaters go, but if I'm being completely honest, I *do* appreciate rip-the-band-aid-off / fast-forward situation the pandemic has forced. In fact, big picture, I think it's better we get to where this is all heading faster, rather than the slow death of certain theaters/practices that would have had to be endured otherwise.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
FL_Ag1998
AG
First.....
Quote:

As for your VOD habits argument, people have been going to the movies for literally a hundred years. Eight to twelve months of watching mostly underwhelming VOD releases isn't suddenly going to break that habit. In fact, with how much we've been cooped up during this whole thing, I'd argue that once it's 100% safe - in the mind of the public, at least (i.e. there's a vaccine) - we're actually going to see a surge in theater going. Post-vaccine, there's going to be so much great theatrical content, and such a thirst to get out of the house and back to normal, that I'm betting the second half of 2021 or so is going to be pretty wild.

Then.....
Quote:

The pandemic is the absolute worst, and will no doubt change the theater-going experience forever.......

In agreement on all accounts (re: the days of EVERY movie going to theaters is over). I hate to see certain theaters go, but if I'm being completely honest, I *do* appreciate rip-the-band-aid-off / fast-forward situation the pandemic has forced. In fact, big picture, I think it's better we get to where this is all heading faster, rather than the slow death of certain theaters/practices that would have had to be endured otherwise.
TCTTS
AG
It seems you purposely left out like five posts of mine in between the two of those, from the two different threads you pulled from, with a lot more commentary/context on my part. That said, still... what about those two comments are contradicting, as I assume you're trying to call me out for... I don't know what?

A) People are still going to flock to theaters when this is over, especially considering the sheer number of great movies set to release over the second half of next year.

B) Post-vaccine, the theater-going experience will no doubt be different than it is now. There will be fewer theaters and shorter theatrical windows, and I believe it best we fast-forward to that point instead of watching certain theaters and windows die a slow death.

What doesn't jibe about those two thoughts?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
fig96
AG
Quote:

For a while I though the launch of the next gen game consoles this Christmas would be rather tame given the possible economic situation going into next year. but with little competing entertainment alternatives , they are primed to receive the bulk of entertainment spending this holiday.
There might be a slight effect there but new consoles are always sell outs for the first few months. Q1/2 of next year is where we'll start to potentially see more adoption than usual.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Quad Dog
AG
Some pretty eye opening numbers in this Sepinwall piece.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/covid-precaution-protocol-budget-netflix-cancel-peak-tv-1075454/

Quote:

As talk turned to the strange new world of Covid-19, Goldberg asked how much Kurtzman's budget had increased on the small-screen Trek franchise as a result of precautionary measures. Kurtzman's estimate: PPE alone has added between $300,000 and $500,000 in costs to each episode.
By the end of the episode, the answers seem to point to: 1) an ungodly sum of money; and 2) Covid may have just toppled Peak TV.
the issue seems to be the added cost of making shows while keeping the cast and crew as safe as possible from Covid. Several prominent showrunners, speaking under condition of anonymity, suggested to me that Kurtzman's $500,000-per-episode figure was in the ballpark, but perhaps on the low end. There are the PPE supplies themselves, including transparent shields to allow actors to run lines together before cameras roll. Studio HVAC systems need to be upgraded to meet the new air safety standards. Vans that could once ferry a half-dozen actors or more to a set are now allowed to carry at most two at a time, so everyone needs more vans. One showrunner estimated that testing alone is over $100,000 per episode, and fees for crew, director prep, and shooting, plus guest-star salaries, are all up 25 percent over normal, because they have to film episodes on a 10-day schedule rather than the usual eight to accommodate the new protocols. Depending on the regulations in a given state where production happens, shows may also have to pay to quarantine any actors flown in from out of town for 14 days, and also pay that actor a higher rate to cover work they potentially missed during that quarantine period. Bit by bit, it all adds up, making hits less lucrative and turning borderline shows into ones that are no longer tenable.
the total number of original scripted shows this year, through August, was down about 15 percent from the same point in 2019. That gap is likely to grow over the rest of 2021, if only because there won't be the usual flood of new fall series on ABC, NBC, et al. Even if that percentage holds, though, we'll have gone from 532 original series last year to 452 this year

TCTTS
AG
Man, that's wild. Hopefully these costs still aren't needed by the second half of next year, but who knows...
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Yeah they have been cancelling shows that were renewed already (before they started production on the new seasons) and scrapping shows that were in the pre-production pipeline. I feel like the last 2 weeks there has been 1-2 shows/day that are not happening anymore or cancelled. That money info puts that all into some more context.
MBAR
AG
veryfuller said:

Yeah they have been cancelling shows that were renewed already (before they started production on the new seasons) and scrapping shows that were in the pre-production pipeline. I feel like the last 2 weeks there has been 1-2 shows/day that are not happening anymore or cancelled. That money info puts that all into some more context.
Yeah i guess this is why Glow got the Ax. I imagine a show with that much contact was hard to do.
TCTTS
AG
Good point.
Duncan Idaho
They could have filmed season 4 like they lived season 3. The entire cast and crew Locked in a crappy hotel for 3 months.
TCTTS
AG
Not authoritative or peer reviewed, and they admit as much, but still highly researched and about as otherwise credible-seeming as can be...

https://celluloidjunkie.com/2020/10/19/cj-analysis-the-number-of-covid-19-outbreaks-traced-to-cinemas-is-zero/
TCTTS
AG

https://www.reuters.com/article/amc-ent-holdg-bankruptcy-idUSKBN276098
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

https://deadline.com/2020/11/wonder-woman-1984-exhibition-awaiting-another-release-date-change-shortened-theatrical-window-not-in-the-cards-1234608036/
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/free-guy-death-on-the-nile-sail-out-of-2020-amid-ongoing-covid-19-crisis
bearamedic99
AG
Too bad. Free Guy looked enjoyable.
Aust Ag
AG
Live Nation's most recent financial results provide a peek into just how hard the concert touring business has been hit by the pandemic.

In its quarter ended Sept. 30, the company reported revenue of $184 million, down significantly from nearly $3.8 billion in the same quarter last year. Revenue for the first nine months dropped $7 billion to $1.6 billion.

Nonetheless, Michael Rapino, Live Nation's president and CEO, told investors on the company's earnings call that "our refund rate on rescheduled shows remain consistently low, with 83% of fans globally keeping their tickets."
double aught
AG
Vaccine can't come soon enough. I'm hoping these industries can make it until then.
Counterpoint
AG
Aust Ag said:

Live Nation's most recent financial results provide a peek into just how hard the concert touring business has been hit by the pandemic.

In its quarter ended Sept. 30, the company reported revenue of $184 million

That's a massive drop, but how did they even have THAT much revenue?
TCTTS
AG

https://deadline.com/2020/11/regal-cinemas-closing-down-new-york-and-california-movie-theaters-1234611898/
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/movie-theaters-coronavirus-vaccine-1234826324/
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

https://deadline.com/2020/11/wonder-woman-1984-exhibition-awaiting-another-release-date-change-shortened-theatrical-window-not-in-the-cards-1234608036/
There's about a minute where I just can't think straight when I see her.
Duncan Idaho
I made that comment when. I was walking out of the first wonder woman...she is literally too good looking to be an actress. It is distracting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.