*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,956 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, that sucks.
TCTTS
AG

https://deadline.com/2020/08/alamo-drafthouse-bill-and-ted-face-the-music-the-new-mutants-tenet-1203016447/
double aught
AG
Most triumphant!
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

https://deadline.com/2020/08/alamo-drafthouse-bill-and-ted-face-the-music-the-new-mutants-tenet-1203016447/
Oh man this is tempting...
TCTTS
AG
Oh, man. That truly sucks. With AMC, Alamo Drafthouse, and others all set to reopen in the next couple of weeks, why isn't Landmark? Or are they and we just haven't heard yet? Feels like they could at least start doing business again in their non-LA/NY locations.
TCTTS
AG
I keep forgetting most Landmark locations don't show wide releases. That's a good point. And yeah, good call on the older audience as well. I'm just as clueless about the real estate angle, but I get what you're saying. Ugh. What an all-around sh*tty situation.
TCTTS
AG

https://theplaylist.net/imax-ceo-streaming-future-20200820
Duncan Idaho
I don't get how you could stream IMAX unless there was a pair of vr Goggles with dual 4k screens.
TCTTS
AG
BoydCrowder13
Went to the AMC reopening last night to see Empire Strikes Back in IMAX. I thought they did a pretty good job with concessions, cleaning and 40% capacity.
Bunk Moreland
Just got out of Unhinged. Felt great seeing a new movie in the theater again.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Just got out of Unhinged. Felt great seeing a new movie in the theater again.

I can't help but notice you gave no indication of whether you enjoyed the movie or not...
TCTTS
AG
Roughly how many other people we in theater with you? Were concessions fully operational? Did the theater feel like normal? Understaffed? Just curious about the overall experience.
Bunk Moreland
Dark. He is absolutely unhinged. Tense. Some very corny aspects one usually expects in films like this, fun ride with an absolutely hilariously bad final scene that was so lazy. Not the resolution per say but the aftermath. Almost like the director felt a shot clock and was like "OK hurry up we're done"

Worth the watch for the depths Crowe went alone. But if you're down in the dumps or going through a divorce, don't see this movie.
Bunk Moreland
Maybe 10 in the theater, which I would say is ok for midday first day back in theaters. When I walked out of the theater the parking lot was much busier.

Concessions were fine. The ticket taker doesn't touch it, just looks at it. Plexiglass screens up in front of all concession stations and in other areas where normal staff interactions happen. The 'bistro' or whatever was closed so it's your basic concessions.

Prices cheap. Paid 2 bucks I think for a medium drink and a large that was a massive souvenir cup was $3.50. Didn't get any snacks.

Staff seemed happy people were back in (obvious comment is obvious). Obviously there were not a ton of staff there because they're scheduling based on ticket sales but enough were there. It was definitely a quieter experience but that'll pick up.

Oh, and clean as a whistle.
TCTTS
AG
Awesome. Good to hear on all fronts. Hopefully this is the beginning of a gradual return to normalcy.

Thanks for the rundown.
toucan82
Watched "Inception" earlier and here's a tip for everyone: make sure your bladder is in theater shape

I got to the second layer of the dream and had to tap out
TCTTS
AG
Yes!
tysker
AG
Saw Train to Busan: Peninsula Saturday afternoon at a Alamo. Wanted to see something 'lighthearted' before Tenet. It was actually kind of awkward 'feeling' a movie again. Hearing the surround sound and feeling the action was so much different than being at home. Being back in a theater makes the whole experience so much more engaging.

Buying drinks and food in advance was fine but its harder to swallow the markup on food when you see it in advance! Pro tip: bought two beers for myself and asked for one at beginning and then used the card to receive the second instead of receiving both right up front. Also if you get popcorn, you easily can get away with 'eating or drinking' the entire time which minimizes mask usage if that's an issue. Staff seemed happy and with so few people in the theater, we got our card pulled within seconds of putting it up (sometimes it takes forever).
fig96
AG
Tom Cruise went to see it...

Duncan Idaho
OT4's can't get infect. Any idiot knows that
TCTTS
AG
Man, that's exciting, and so good to hear.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, that's awesome. So jealous.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.thewrap.com/movie-theaters-reopening-california-new-york/
GiveEmHellBill
AG
So I'll be seeing my first movie in the theaters since "The Invisible Man" on February 27th when I see "The New Mutants" tonight at 6pm in College Station.

This movie was never on my list of movies I really wanted to see, but it's been so f-ing long that right now I'm desperate for entertainment. I'm also using one of my Cinemark Movie Credits so the XD showing is only costing me $1.36.

Next week will be Tenet, but I don't know when (the Monday and Tuesday screenings are pretty much sold out).
TCTTS
AG
Awesome. Curious to hear how both the movie and the experience are.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
If Blumhouse made a fringe X-Men movie, it would be The New Mutants. A modest-budgeted genre movie with a mostly-young cast and above-average effects.

It was a decent little film that didn't overstay it's welcome. It would have been a good film to see in that period before the summer movie season or fall right before the holiday movie season. My biggest takeaway from it was that it was impressively intense for a "comic book" movie. The horror aspect of it was done pretty well, with some disturbing imagery; something never seen in a Marvel movie before.

It was decent and it was just good to be back in a theater again.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
As for the experience: it was pretty much the same as everything else in this current climate. The ticket taker booth had a plexiglass screen with a hole cut out for the scanner for you to scan your mobile phone ticket. The concession stand only had two registers open (but I think that's more because there weren't a lot of moviegoers tonight).

Now, for the one thing I've never really experienced at a theater in B/CS in a long, long time: the crowd was a little loud during the previews.

This being College Station, I would imagine that all of the 15-20 other people were A&M students. And I got the feeling that many they had not been in a public movie theater for the past 6-8 months and it showed. There was a LOT of talking and it was not quiet. It was very distracting but luckily they all shut up when the movie started.

Oh, and the previews were excellent. Tenet, Candyman, Come Play (HOLY SH*T!) and Death on the Nile.
TCTTS
AG
Man, this all gets me so fired up. I kind of even want to see New Mutants now.

All good to hear, and I appreciate the rundowns.
Ambres
AG
TCTTS said:

Man, this all gets me so fired up. I kind of even want to see New Mutants now.

All good to hear, and I appreciate the rundowns.
New Mutant was actually pretty good. Wife and I saw it last night. I was a fan of the series in the 80s and really love how they brought those character to life. Sad that they aren't going to do the planned sequel .. because they have a great setup for a popular X-men villain who hasn't made it yet to the movies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.