*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,046 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At this point, seeing a movie in a theater by even October in LA seems overly optimistic...

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/movie-theaters-california-reopening-1234752399/
BoydCrowder13
TCTTS said:

At this point, seeing a movie in a theater by even October in LA seems overly optimistic...

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/movie-theaters-california-reopening-1234752399/

Hope it opens up for you guys at some point.

Texas and California have been on near identical case/death counts for the last couple months. Both saw their peak in late July. Texas has basically reopened and Cali has remained closed.
TCTTS
AG
Yep. Hopefully, if the re-openings go well in Texas, it'll put pressure on California to open theaters sooner. That, and I'm sure the studios/theater owners will be badgering the hell out of Newsom as well.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Counterpoint
AG
TCTTS said:

I even miss people loudly saying something really dumb during a quiet party of the movie just to get a cheap laugh.
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

In the early 2000s, the Cinemark was the only theater in College Station. And the tag line during the little promo at the end of the previews was "Cinemark: The Best Seat in Town!"

Every once in a while some idiot would yell out what he presumably thought was a hilarious retort: "Yeah, the only seat in town!" My friends and I hated that guy! So the fact that it was always met with silence (or actual boos once) gave us great pleasure.
TCTTS
Bunk Moreland
my theater review was same as last week's during unhinged. Great experience, clean as a whistle. zero discomfort. No personal issues with people keeping their masks off while seated. Just like a restaurant...

I'm liking this new poster.

TCTTS
AG
Not feeling that poster at all. It's super bland/lazy, IMO.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/01/coronavirus-tenet-and-mulan-arrive-this-labor-day-weekend.html
MBAR
AG
I'm glad you guys are having good experiences back at the theaters! I hope the reopening goes well.

oragator
The rock had the covid.

https://apple.news/AnnpEZUY6RMCqxA4ooE6RiA
double aught
AG
Not sure what COVID was thinking there.

oragator
When I saw saving private Ryan, when Tom Hanks got to the beach, the genius in front of me yelled "run forest run". And then for good measure he laughed at his own joke, just to make sure everyone knew it was funny. Took away from one of the most intense scenes in movie history,
And yes, I'm still bitter.
Counterpoint
AG
oragator said:

When I saw saving private Ryan, when Tom Hanks got to the beach, the genius in front of me yelled "run forest run". And then for good measure he laughed at his own joke, just to make sure everyone knew it was funny. Took away from one of the most intense scenes in movie history,
And yes, I'm still bitter.

TCTTS
AG

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/09/robert-pattinson-the-batman-coronavirus
YNWA_AG
AG
Not ideal for shooting
TCTTS
AG
fig96
AG

They apparently also looked at filming in Austin.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Wow, that's awesome. I also now want to watch *every* movie with Buddha.
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/box-office-tenet-crossing-100-million-1234760782/
fig96
AG
Just pulled the trigger on Tenet tickets for tomorrow. Currently 12 seats booked in a 200+ person theater.
MBAR
AG
The weekend numbers seem pretty low. Do you think all things considered they are satisfied?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Traditionally the Labor Day weekend is thought of as one of the lowest box office weekends of the year. It's kind of weird that so much was placed on Tenet's box office when history has shown that few people go see a movie over Labor Day.
BoydCrowder13
I mean the box office will be ugly for a while. Theaters have limited showings and the ones that are open are at 40% capacity.

I've been twice now. The parking lot is less crowded on a Friday nights than I was on a Wednesday night in February.

Theaters and studios have lean times ahead until people stop fearing the COVID.
MBAR
AG
Yeah I definitely don't think anyone expected what are normally considered good numbers all things considered. I just wonder what their bar for success was and if they miss that mark what that means for more releases in the coming weeks/months. I also wonder how the Mulan release did on D+ but I'm not sure we'll get any real stats from that.

I still hope more movies come out. Even if I don't see them in theaters, this does mean I'll see them sooner rather than later.
TCTTS
AG

https://deadline.com/2020/09/wonder-woman-1984-release-date-change-2020-november-christmas-1203019735/

Quote:

With New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco movie theaters still not open, our exhibition sources are hearing that Warner Bros. is apt to move Wonder Woman 1984 again, this time out of its current Oct. 2 date to either sometime in November or possibly to late December, thus bumping the studio's Legendary feature Dune out of its Dec. 18 weekend to sometime in 2021.
fig96
AG
We had to pass on our showing for COVID unrelated reasons and will probably try to go this weekend, but seemed like similar numbers in our local theater.
TCTTS
AG
It's only the Wednesday after opening weekend and, at least from my vantage, Tenet talk has almost completely dissipated online. I'm seeing next to no tweets/articles about it anymore. Without New York and LA media helping drive the conversations, it feels like it's already come and gone. I also can't help but think that if it would have been received better, it'd have legs going into this weekend. But, as is, I'm now afraid it's not even going to do half of what it did this past weekend, if even that. So... yeah. If this weekend is a disaster, I think you're right. I think everything moves to November/December, if we're lucky, but most likely everything just moves to 2021.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.