*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,058 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I made that comment when. I was walking out of the first wonder woman...she is literally too good looking to be an actress. It is distracting.

TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-summer-2021-1234830975/
dave94
AG
Surely there's no way they go with the HBO Max option?

(Haven't read the article, sorry)
TCTTS
AG
Basically, they're saying that if it does go to HBO Max in January, it will *still* keep its Christmas Day theatrical release, in order to help the theaters that remain open in any way they can. Additionally, though HBO Max has surpassed initial subscription expectations, it still lags significantly behind Netflix, Amazon, and Disney+ in that regard. So the appeal would be that WW84 could make for a significant boost toward shortening that subscriber gap. But yeah, ultimately, I think WB probably goes with a June '21 theatrical release instead, as there's just too much money to made there, for what will likely be a billion dollar earner. That, and HBO Max has plenty coming down the pike next year that should serve to boost subscriptions regardless, between the Friends reunion, the Snyder JL cut, way more original programming, etc.
TCTTS
AG
A bit more info...

https://deadline.com/2020/11/wonder-woman-1984-theatrical-release-hbo-max-warner-bros-1234615102/
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/cinemark-universal-theatrical-window-shortened-pvod-1234833162/
TCTTS
AG

https://theplaylist.net/without-remorse-michael-b-jordan-amazon-20201116/
TCTTS
AG
In an alternate, Covid-less universe, Godzilla vs Kong would be releasing this Friday, November 20th, kicking off the big 2021 marketing push, which traditionally runs from the weekend prior to Thanksgiving to Christmas day, where, over that time, we would likely be seeing...

- The first teaser trailer for Jurassic World: Dominion
- The first teaser trailer for the fourth Matrix movie
- The first teaser trailer for the third MCU Spider-Man movie
- The second trailer for The Batman

... among others. Also...

- The Eternals would have been out for a couple weeks now.
- Dune would be a month away.
- While A Quiet Place Part II, No Time to Die, F9, Black Widow, and Wonder Woman 1984 each would have been on Blu-ray/digital for a couple months now, with Top Gun: Maverick hitting Blu-ray/digital this month or next.

It's crazy to think that, at the earliest, even the slightest glimmer of any of this - namely the initial theatrical runs of any of the latter titles I just mentioned - is likely still roughly six months or so away, if not a bit longer potentially.
BoydCrowder13
TCTTS said:

In an alternate, Covid-less universe, Godzilla vs Kong would be releasing this Friday, November 20th, kicking off the big 2021 marketing push which traditionally runs from the weekend prior to Thanksgiving to Christmas day, where we would likely be seeing...

- The first teaser trailer for Jurassic World: Dominion
- The first teaser trailer for the fourth Matrix movie
- The first teaser trailer for the third MCU Spider-Man movie
- The second trailer for The Batman

... among others. Also...

- The Eternals would have been out for a couple weeks now.
- Dune would be a month away.
- While A Quiet Place Part II, No Time to Die, F9, Black Widow, and Wonder Woman 1984 each would have been on Blu-ray/digital for a couple months now, with Top Gun: Maverick hitting Blu-ray/digital this month or next.

It's crazy to think that, at the earliest, even the slightest glimmer of any of this - namely the initial theatrical runs of any of the latter titles I just mentioned - is likely still roughly six months or so away, if not a bit longer potentially.

I still remember being bummed that Tenet was being pushed back to August.

Still can't believe that one got released haha.
TCTTS
AG
Which I still haven't been able to see! But yeah, considering literally everything else pushed, I can't believe that movie already came and went.
cone
AG
you think they knew it would get critically panned?
TCTTS
AG
Going in, I think they knew it was probably the least accessible Nolan film in a while (again, based on what I've heard, not having seen it myself), but I know for a fact that they were still expecting it to make a lot more than it did, even given the circumstances.
fig96
AG
I remember being bummed I couldn't see the new Bond opening on my birthday.

It's been a weird year.
TCTTS
AG
Even though I completely understand the play, and experts had been predicting as much as of late, this is still legit shocking, and a massive game-changer that could cause all kinds of reverberations. It was only a matter of time before a major, live-action blockbuster went the streaming route, but I honestly didn't expect it to be this one, and not this soon. In short, Warner Bros is giving up hundreds of millions of dollars in summer '21 theatrical revenue to instead promote HBO Max and close the subscriber gap between it and Netflix/Amazon/Disney+. This is a paradigm-shifting move...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-1984-heading-to-hbo-max-theaters-dec-25
TCTTS
AG
Anything is on the table at this point. The band-aid has officially been ripped off, the dam is breaking, etc...

TCTTS
AG
At the very least, kudos to WB for being the guinea pig during the pandemic and the studio willing to take the most risks, test the waters, etc. With Tenet, they released a major blockbuster to theaters when no one else would, and paid the price, but in doing so, served as a self-sacrificial bellwether for the rest of Hollywood. And now they're willing to see what the sequel to one of their most successful franchise films in a decade can do for streaming, under similar conditions. When this is all said and done, no matter the outcome, every other studio should give a hearty thank you to WB for taking the risks that helped establish the trends everyone else has and no doubt will follow.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
At no additional cost on HBO Max for a month. I assume that means it will *always* be free on HBO Max, but then after a month, it'll show up on Apple TV, Amazon, Google Play, etc...

TCTTS
AG
Pretty wild that next month I'll be watching the newest Fincher, the latest Christopher Nolan blockbuster, and WW84, each for the *first* time, each from the comfort of my own couch.
double aught
AG
Wow, this is surprising. Especially considering there is potentially a light at the end of the tunnel with the vaccine. With some luck, things could be close to normal next summer.
fig96
AG
I'm kind of amazed they pulled the trigger, going to be really interesting to see how it affects everything moving forward.

Apple has already said they're looking to purchase a few blockbusters per year and we've seen Netflix putting out bigger and bigger projects as well, things are going to get interesting.
TCTTS
AG
That's what I'm thinking/hoping. In WW84's case, I think it was less about waiting for normalcy and more about bolstering HBO Max. But yeah, by June or July or so, I think we'll be back to normal in terms of theatrical releases. They're still saying the vaccine will be widely available by April, but even if so, May is going to be cutting it close. Which is why I think Black Widow, currently scheduled for May 7, now potentially goes to Disney+ in either February or early spring, and then every other blockbuster release in April/May moves to later in the summer, and the summer movie season is truly back/heats up again around June. That's another reason WW84 may have wanted to avoid that June to August pile up all together.
J. Walter Weatherman
TCTTS said:

This is amazing news and major kudos to them for thinking about the theaters. It will also be a good barometer of the chicken/egg situation where everyone assumes no one will go to a theater because they think it's not safe, but there also aren't any good, big name movies showing to drive people there.
TCTTS
AG
Damn, that sucks. Yeah, unfortunately, I have a feeling more and more theaters are going to be closing again over the next month or so. The case numbers are just getting too high. Are you going to try and see it tomorrow?
TCTTS
AG
Oh, gotcha. That makes sense. I misunderstood. I thought it came out there on the 13th.
AMW2010
AG
Now just release black widow damn it!!!!
TCTTS
AG

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/11/universal-cinemark-deal-studios-set-rules-theaters-follow-1234599286/
TCTTS
AG
Cruella has been completed and scheduled for a May '21 theatrical release for quite a while now, so I totally understand that one potentially going to Disney+, with theater-going likely not back to normal until June/July. But the Pinocchio and Peter Pan and Wendy potential moves are somewhat concerning, as I'm almost positive neither have begun filming yet, and won't be complete until well into the '21, after that pandemic is, for the most part, over. So why Disney would want to make a decision now as to their fate is beyond me. Granted, I doubt I'd see any of these movies in theaters regardless, and I'm not 100% sure the latter two haven't started filming yet (though I'm almost positive), but it *could* be sign of things to come, where Disney is basically only releasing Marvel and Star Wars movies theatrically. Hopefully there's more to it...

https://deadline.com/2020/11/disney-plus-moving-pinocchio-cruella-peter-pan-and-wendy-no-theaters-1234619134/
TCTTS
AG
Also of note...

Quote:

The Marvel film Black Widow with Scarlett Johansson is not being contemplated for a streaming bow, Deadline hears.
fig96
AG
This is super interesting to me and honestly makes a good bit of sense.

These are films I likely wouldn't watch in theaters either, and it feels like Disney+ is a vehicle that might be making films like this more economically viable. They're not going to generate straight box office revenue like they would have, but would these have done much more than break even anyway?
TCTTS
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
Jungle cruise does not seem like a blockbuster. But they want to have a rock franchise.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.