*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,030 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/amc-theatres-furloughs-employees-coronavirus-pandemic-1203545081/
littlebitofhifi
The Collective
AG
Damn. These are such crazy times.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

So that's now no major releases in April or May, with June well on its way to clearing out as well. With WB moving WW84 to August 14, my guess is they're keeping Tenet on July 17 for the time being. In other words, it's looking like we MIGHT have an idea of how all this could potentially play out, with theaters back in full swing at some point in July. That is, given the assumption that the virus is under relative control by then, which isn't even remotely guaranteed at this point.

^ Just to confirm my previous post, from the a Deadline article yesterday that I missed...

Quote:

Meanwhile, Christopher Nolan's Tenet will stay firm on July 17 in anticipation the global theatrical marketplace will be well by then.

If not Top Gun: Maverick, Tenet seems about as "eventful" as we could ask in terms of the movie that potentially welcomes audiences back to theaters.
TCTTS
AG
Now the question is, considering the AMC news earlier today, will theaters even have the financing to reopen in July; to not only rehire workers, but executives as well? Will they have lost their leases on their buildings? Will they be bankrupt?

- or -

Are we going to have to wait for new investors to take over/start theater chains again from "scratch"?

I have no idea how any of that works.

I'm not worried whether movie-going is coming back or not - the demand will be there - I guess I'm just worried how long it could take for theaters to get running again, once we're back to a semi-normal economy again hopefully come mid-summer or so.
TCTTS
AG

https://adage.com/article/media/what-happens-fall-tv-schedule-post-pandemic-quick-explainer/2246086
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

Now the question is, considering the AMC news earlier today, will theaters even have the financing to reopen in July; to not only rehire workers, but executives as well? Will they have lost their leases on their buildings? Will they be bankrupt?

- or -

Are we going to have to wait for new investors to take over/start theater chains again from "scratch"?

I have no idea how any of that works.

I'm not worried whether movie-going is coming back or not - the demand will be there - I guess I'm just worried how long it could take for theaters to get running again, once we're back to a semi-normal economy again hopefully come mid-summer or so.
I mean if you own a building leased to a theater, it behoves you to work with them instead of eviction right? I would think this applies across the board and not just for theaters but who knows.
TCTTS
AG
One would think so. I just know of theaters in places like LA that occupy buildings in very urban settings that could fairly easily be transformed into other establishments. They're part of a mall, or it's its own stand-alone building that doesn't necessarily scream "theater," etc. Buildings like the stand-alone multiplex/AMC buildings with big parking lots - buildings that were made specifically to be movie theaters - yes, it makes total sense for the owners of those buildings to work with the theater chains, though I assume at least a good percentage of those are owned by the theater chains themselves? I really have no idea.
MBAR
AG
Man I hope we really see examples f companies and individuals working with each other to lower evictions because we're all in this together. We're all going to hurt.
WoMD
MBAR said:

Man I hope we really see examples f companies and individuals working with each other to lower evictions because we're all in this together. We're all going to hurt.

Exactly. It would be beyond idiotic to evict my two tenants right now. Trying to get new businesses to fill those spots right now? Are you insane? I suppose there are real estate investors that could be that stupid, but I can't imagine there are many. I am absolutely working with my tenants if they need, although they have yet to ask.

The value of commercial real estate is intimately tied to the tenants, and never has that been more true than when everyone is struggling to tread water.
TCTTS
AG
That's good to hear.
dave94
AG
Yeah, a movie theater buildout in a development doesn't make for an easy refurb to another tenant. The landlords will want the theaters to reopen, especially if they're within a 5-10 year timeframe from when this last round of building/renovation occurred. They will reopen for sure.
fig96
AG
WoMD said:

MBAR said:

Exactly. It would be beyond idiotic to evict my two tenants right now. Trying to get new businesses to fill those spots right now? Are you insane? I suppose there are real estate investors that could be that stupid, but I can't imagine there are many. I am absolutely working with my tenants if they need, although they have yet to ask.

The value of commercial real estate is intimately tied to the tenants, and never has that been more true than when everyone is struggling to tread water.
I worked in commercial real estate marketing for almost a decade.

Trust me, there are.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/amc-theatres-furloughs-employees-coronavirus-pandemic-1203545081/
Was just coming to post this.

Legitimately starting to worry how long theaters can survive like this.

Selfishly, I'm worried about my local AMC, which I really only see people at for big blockbusters like Avengers.
WoMD
fig96 said:

WoMD said:

MBAR said:

I worked in commercial real estate marketing for almost a decade.

Trust me, there are.

Fair enough. Guess that'll leave a buying opportunity for the rest of us in the future.
LawHall88
AG
MBAR said:

You want to get really grim about delays right now, well think about what happens when actors fall ill and pass away. Succession changes completely if Brian Cox gets ill.
Not Brian Cox, but the actor who played former Waystar cruise division leader Bill Lockhart, who the others tried to set up as the fall guy for the various abuses that took place on the cruises. Mark Blum reportedly died from coronavirus complications.

TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-2-trillion-federal-aid-package-may-help-movie-theaters-1286477
Bunk Moreland
I would pay 2x or 3x the amount of a normal ticket in my market to go to the movies, get forehead temp checked and sit in a theater at 50% capacity to respect distancing right now.

The ability to go to a place for entertainment where I know a specific block of time I will not check my phone, laptop, etc is so enticing.
MBAR
AG
I keep hearing people say they check their phone atn laptops at home when watching a movie. I must be alone in that I don't do that.

I do pause to get food/use the restroom, but I don't have problems focusing on the movie and I'm legit diagnosed with ADD. Go figure.
Bunk Moreland
How old are you? Maybe it's generational.

I do my best with new episodes of great shows or movies I haven't seen before... Also if I watch with a group I usually do, but with something like coronavirus out there causing insecurity in our lives, jobs etc it's hard not to reach for it to stay plugged in.
MBAR
AG
Yeah I think you're younger than me. I'm on the cusp of Millennial and Gen X. Late 30s. I hear a lot of people saying what you have though.
_lefraud_
AG
This. Absolutely, this.
Bunk Moreland
32. I'm the ultimate hybrid. Started life without internet but it became massive in middle school/hs. First real camera phone came out when I was a junior. So I have the ability of self control but not as much as I'd like.
Fenrir
I like to call it the Oregon Trail Generation
Pahdz
He's too young for that
MBAR
AG
Fenrir said:

I like to call it the Oregon Trail Generation
Yeah thats what my wife calls us. We grew up with out the internet but have had it most of our teen/adult life. And as kids we all collected way too much buffalo meat and still died of diptheria.
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG

(forgot to post the link)
aggiedata
AG
Stay away from me Jackson Browne!

double aught
AG
I don't get the Jackson Brown reference, but that's kind of a jerk post from Geffen.
Belton Ag
AG
"Hey look at me on my luxury yacht in the Grenadines avoiding the sick and dying plebes."

Seriously, **** that guy. I hope he gets hijacked by pirates and dumped in some infected port city somewhere.
MBAR
AG
JFC what a clueless post.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What a tool.
Claude!
Chipotlemonger said:

What a tool.
Pretty sweet yacht, though.
aggiedata
AG
double aught said:

I don't get the Jackson Brown reference, but that's kind of a jerk post from Geffen.

Jackson Browne has Covid 19. Geffen signed Browne to his label back in the 70s.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.