Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

498,991 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
jpb1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So are your saying don't do it because of ammo cost? Just trying to understand your post, I'm not being snarky.

As long as options are readily available, cost is not much of a factor for me, as it will not be shot THAT much as primarily a deer rifle... that is what the .223 is for.
Duncan Idaho
BenderRodriguez said:

On a phone, hopefully someone else will chime in on the Grendel conversion that's on a keyboard.

The reason your friend is having accuracy issues with a bear creek barrel is that bear creek is garbage. Don't buy his problem barrel.

Hell, even I know that.
jpb1999
AG
Great, info. Thanks!

He said he has bought other Bear Creek uppers with no problems and recommended them...?

So should I stick with PSA for budget upper, but still accurate enough for deer hunting?

What about 224 vs 6.5 G

Barrel length for deer/varmit/hog hunting?
Mr. Dubi
You are correct. I had looked into those calibers when I considered getting into long range competition. If you can find ammo, then those are adequately hunting rounds, since you won't likely shoot as much as I had considered.
DatTallArchitect
AG
jpb1999 said:

Great, info. Thanks!

He said he has bought other Bear Creek uppers with no problems and recommended them...?

So should I stick with PSA for budget upper, but still accurate enough for deer hunting?

What about 224 vs 6.5 G

Barrel length for deer/varmit/hog hunting?
I've not heard of anyone using the .224 for anything more than varmint hunting, but I'm not a ballistics guy either. The 6.5 Grendel is a great hunting round, just don't use Hornady Black ammo for hunting with. Another round to look at is the 6.8 SPC II. I wanted something for my AR pistol that would be better suited for hunting and ended up getting an 11.3" barrel from Wilson Combat. Up to about 400 yards, it is very comparable to the 6.5 ballistics. It's also designed for a shorter barrel. I'm not the best shot by any means, but I can get 1 moa groups at a hundred yards with a 1-4x scope.
Jethro95
AG
I'm trying to finish up the Black Friday parts acquisition spree for my Grendel build and I'm down to bolt carrier group.

Are there any noticeable differences between the ones from Toolcraft, Aero Precision, Odin Works, and Fail Zero?

Also, any pros/cons in going with a nickel colored one?
Puryear Playboy
AG
Hornady Black in the Grendel and every other round is fine to hunt with. The ELD-M bullet was designed for precision but has shown itself to be suitable as a hunting round. It's killed lots of pigs and four deer for me so far in 6.5G alone.

It will hold together and give good size exit wounds. Something that bullets like the A-Max haven't done for me.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Well, I wasn't planning on another AR build.

Then I saw this picture and I need it in my life.

AgLA06
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

The Han Solo Special.
West Texan
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

reddog90
AG
Jethro95 said:

I'm trying to finish up the Black Friday parts acquisition spree for my Grendel build and I'm down to bolt carrier group.

Are there any noticeable differences between the ones from Toolcraft, Aero Precision, Odin Works, and Fail Zero?

Also, any pros/cons in going with a nickel colored one?
I need answers to this too. Add Faxon to the BCG mix I guess. I am gathering parts for a grendel build as well.
Jethro95
AG
I ended up ordering one from Ballistic Advantage as it was on sale for $105 (normally $150) over the weekend which should match up nicely with my Ballistic Advantage barrel. We'll see how it works out. Still waiting for it to ship though. Also ordered a Geissele reaction rod directly from Geissele which has not shipped yet. No worries though, I've got everything I need to get started on the lower.
reddog90
AG
-Any of yall have experience with a JP captured spring kit?

-Is it worth paying Faxon to check the headspace on a bolt/BCG? I ordered a barrel from them, and was going to order a BCG from them as well.

-Anyone have experience with the Superlative Arms AGB? I have an SLR Sentry 7 AGB on my SBR and honestly haven't been that impressed with it. That gun runs dirty AF suppressed and I can't feel the clicks in the GB adjustment screw.
1872walker
I have a JP on my suppressed 300 BO. It's an incremental improvement. If you're happy with the rest of the gun and have money to spend, go for it. But if you have other needs it's really a matter of priority. I'd definitely buy it again.

Please report on the gas block if you go for it. I have the SLR on another rifle and it does the job but wouldn't mind something better.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Since this is "and other semi auto" thread....

Keep trying to find a gun as good as the AR. This one might, just might be. We will see.

Furlock Bones
AG
Been looking at those myself.

556 or 300blk?
BenderRodriguez
AG
For now, it's a 11.5" 5.56 pistol with a brace.

But it'll soon be SBRd and I'll be picking up a 6.75" 300 blk barrel and a Rugged Radiant suppressor to go with it.
HUEY04
AG
I put a Superlative Arms gas block on my AR-10 build at the beginning of the year and love it, very flexible depending on what you want to do. I've since put them on my 3-gun AR-15 and on a dedicated suppressed AR-15 with equally great results. On the 3-gun setup I was able to fine tune the gas and recoil impulse in conjunction with my brake until it stays on target no matter how fast I pull the trigger. On the dedicated suppressed rifle that was previously WAY over-gassed I have the gas almost turned off and can actually shoot a 60 round course of fire while simultaneously breathing and keeping my eyes open, which is a big plus.
reddog90
AG
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a long allen key that you slide under the rail to make adjustments? And do you ever re-adjust the AGB? When I got my Sentry AGB, I thought I would just take note of what setting I needed for suppressed and unsuppressed and change back and forth. But it's ended up being a set and forget type thing and the rifle just runs overgassed while suppressed.
cledus6150
AG
Since I got my MPX and have been nothing but impressed this has been on my list of firearms that I want to pick up. Please update with a review of how you like it!
Jethro95
AG
I finished my Grendel build (except for optics) and went out and function tested it and adjusted the gas block on Monday. Santa brought me a nice Rudolph scope (thanks EyeGuy!) and I mounted it and bore sighted it today. Can't wait to get out to the range in the morning and get it sighted in and see how it does.

FYI - I saw that Ballistic Advantage is having a nice end of the decade sale on their website.
Jethro95
AG
Grendel build is complete. Thanks to Eyeguy for hooking me up with the lower and the scope and dr_boogs for making me aware of the Seekins flat bottom rail.

reddog90
AG
I'm building a grendel right now too. Log convinced me.

BenderRodriguez
AG
That's three of us. I'll be posting some parts/details later
HUEY04
AG
I just ordered an Aero Precision M4E1 builder set and all the bits and pieces from Aero and Brownells. Hopefully I can get it all together over the next week and get some pics up.
BenderRodriguez
AG
cledus6150 said:

Since I got my MPX and have been nothing but impressed this has been on my list of firearms that I want to pick up. Please update with a review of how you like it!

So I haven't even shot the thing yet.

But I will say that if it shoots as well as it is designed, I think I'm going to love it.

Charging handle, safeties, and even magazine release are all fully ambi from the factory. QD sling points front and rear on both sides. It's nice. And probably just because I came over to ARs from AKs, but I really, really like the ability to fold the stock.

I'm really excited about the caliber/barrel change stuff too.

Front take down pin is all that is required to remove the freefloat handguard, then two torx bits to take off the barrel/pistol. Should be able to change from 16" or 11.5" 5.56 to 6.75" or 9" 300 blk in about two minutes. Same with the rear stock/brace. One torx bit, slide it off, put on whatever different option you wanted.

If it shoots as well as I hope it will, it will be getting SBRd, a 6.75" 300 blk kit and a suppressor. I'm really pleased that I picked it up, especially since I was able to trade for it by ditching a gun I never shot anyway.

Oh, and speaking of SBRs....both of these guns will be getting SBRd. The 320 is going to get milled for a RMR and thrown into a B&T chassis.

So I may shoot some PCC matches with something like this sometime this summer:

cledus6150
AG
Nice I will be watching for more future updates/range reviews. If I get one it will be a 11.5 223 that will promptly be turned into a SBR. Of course all gun plans are on back burner until after my Axis hunt in July!
BenderRodriguez
AG
Yep this one is the 11.5 5.56 and I really like the size.

My one quibble is I wish they had made it fully adjustable gas instead of two settings. But given the market I understand why they didn't.

Either way I hope the MCX line sticks around for a whole, it's a really interesting gun.
maverick2076
How much is that B&T chassis? Do they make it for other guns?

I just ordered a Kel Tec CP33. I'll be throwing a collapsible brace and a red dot on it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
It was originally built on a CZ clone, but those versions are stupid expensive.

They make them for 320s and Glocks, but the Glock one is extra long and kind of defeats the point a bit, IMO.

ETA: price is 200-300 depending on type for just the chassis
cledus6150
AG
I agree 100% I really do hope the MCX and MPX line sticks around for a long time!
reddog90
AG
Should I go H2 buffer on my Grendel build? I'll shoot mainly suppressed. I want to get in on this Geissele sale.

https://geissele.com/premium-mil-spec-buffer-tube-with-super-42-h2.html#color=16
SMM48
AG
I would do the jp rifle captured spring setup. Much smoother. Less sproing

For 6.5 gren you are looking for the JPSCS2-15H2

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php
DatTallArchitect
AG
H2 is the way to go with the 6.5 Grendel. As Steve mentioned, the JP silent Capture Spring is a very nice way to go.
FratboyLegend
BenderRodriguez said:

I must have this. A few questions for anyone that can help.

1) What is that most likely chambered in, .22LR? 9mm? clearly without a buffer tube is is not 5.56.

2) anybody know of a source for the furniture?
#CertifiedSIP

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.