Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,126 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CactusThomas said:

Cam pin sheared preventing the bolt from unlocking?

No, though that's a decent guess. I'll write it up real quick.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I was shooting my 20" A4ish thing. Bolt locked forward. No movement of the bolt with the charging handle, mortaring didn't bust it free. I knew the chamber was clear because a round fired, so I packed up and took it home to diagnose. A really, really sharp eyed person might spot the problem from the picture below:

When I'm working on it at home, the bolt moves back a tiny bit when mortaring it, then is stuck again. So I try to use the forward assist to push it back home and see where it is binding.

That is when I discover that the forward assist is frozen too. Hmm, that's weird.

So I take the upper off the lower, knock out the roll pins for the FA and start pulling parts from it out the back, then I'm able to knock the bolt backwards bit by bit using a woodel dowel held perpendicular to the gun on the back of the carrier and a hammer. When I get the BCG moving, what is left of the forward assist assembly falls out of the upper.

What I think happened is the pin holding the forward assist pawl sheared/broke and managed to get the pawl crammed just wrong against the BCG and locked everything up.

Was not field serviceable.

Super random and a pretty rare malfunction on an AR-15, so I thought I'd share.

I did place a parts order....for a forward assist plug. I'm not fixing it and putting it back, I'm just going to plug the hole and go on with life.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
My two AR-10 builds. One will be a 308 and I haven't decided what the other will be just yet.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
BenderRodriguez
AG
Well, found a deal I couldn't pass up....

Wish magazines weren't priced like they were made of gold instead of aluminum.

It's a buyers market right now on scary black guns, that's for sure.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
SIAP
If I wanted to use a Braced AR15 Pistol in 5.56 for HD/SD what would be good choice for ammo?
I have seen velocities online around 2000fps from a pistol length 5-8" barrel in 5.56.
I have a 8.5" and 10.5" upper 1/7" twist. No suppressor yet, just a flash can.
What ammo takes into consideration HD situations allowing good energy, expansion and less flash at less than 30 ft?
TIA
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I should have addressed my previous post to you Bender, sorry for wasting an extra post in an already long thread.
maverick2076
Speer Gold Dots are what I use.
SMM48
AG
Hornady75 gr. BTHP T2 TAP is what I use.

Or 75 gr tap sbr for your sbr lengthed barrels.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/75-gr-tap-sbr

Expands like mad.

That sbr round will f someone up.

There is also a training round in sbr so you can shoot it instead of the expensive stuff

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/75-gr-tap-sbr-training

Or could go all copper and have it break up at impact. Nasty stuff too. Example at gorilla ammo.

https://www.gorillaammo.com/product/223-rem-62gr-lehigh-controlled-chaos/

O.G.
Bender,

Please pardon my ignorance, I'm sure its been posted here before, but do you give training classes for
handguns? Just curious, always looking for training options.

Thanks.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I'd use the 10.5" over the 8.5". Should be a little more reliable, give you some extra velocity and be slightly less concussive.

The "hot" self defense loads right now are the following:

• 62gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (TBBC) bonded JSP (XM556FBIT3)*
  • 64gr Winchester solid base bonded JSP (Q3313/RA556B)*
  • 50gr TSX loaded by Black Hills*
  • Speer 55 & 64gr Gold Dot JSP (5.56)*
  • Federal 62gr Mk318 Mod0 (T556TNB1)*

I've used the 50gr TSX and the 64gr Winchester, but any of the above should serve you well.

If you can't find those, any of the following are also really good, and I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them either.

• Remington 62gr bonded JSP
  • Federal 55gr TSX (T223S)
  • Speer 55 & 64gr Gold Dot JSP (.223)
  • Federal 62gr Fusion JSP (Same construction as the Gold Dot)

Honestly, keep in mind that even the "crappy" stuff like XM193 should be perfectly adequate...it just isn't the "best" available.

Can I ask why the pistol over a 16" gun? I've played around with everything from 7.5" to 20" ARs and my go to home defense AR is still my 14.5 pinned to 16" gun. You don't really gain much in maneuverability moving down to a 10.5", but the drawbacks (velocity loss, noise, etc) are higher.

If it was suppressed I totally get moving down to a 10.5" to keep the overall length with the suppressor down, but otherwise, 16" is a good happy medium.
BenderRodriguez
AG
SAWgunner said:

Bender,

Please pardon my ignorance, I'm sure its been posted here before, but do you give training classes for

Thanks.

I do.

Due to other commitments, I'm not currently available to teach anything before mid July.

My main focus area is new shooters or long time gun owners finally dipping their toes into the competition and training world. If you're somebody who is already taking classes from the big names, I'd rather just sign up as another student with you for one of their classes, because we'd both learn more.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Quote:

Can I ask why the pistol over a 16" gun? I've played around with everything from 7.5" to 20" ARs and my go to home defense AR is still my 14.5 pinned to 16" gun. You don't really gain much in maneuverability moving down to a 10.5", but the drawbacks (velocity loss, noise, etc) are higher.

If it was suppressed I totally get moving down to a 10.5" to keep the overall length with the suppressor down, but otherwise, 16" is a good happy medium.
First of all thank you Bender and others for SBR ammo recommendations.
I have options up to 16" in 5.56 and I could also do a 300BO at 8.5", but have not seen (did not read thru the entire thread either) any detailed info on SBR 5.56 ammo. I need to get shooting and see what would be best solution now that I have some ammo choices to consider. If the 8.5" 5.56 is too unwieldy it may become a dedicated 22lr AR pistol conversion.
mrz2010
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

Quote:

First of all thank you Bender and others for SBR ammo recommendations.
I have options up to 16" in 5.56 and I could also do a 300BO at 8.5", but have not seen (did not read thru the entire thread either) any detailed info on SBR 5.56 ammo. I need to get shooting and see what would be best solution now that I have some ammo choices to consider. If the 8.5" 5.56 is too unwieldy it may become a dedicated 22lr AR pistol conversion.

Piggybacking on this, I've been considering a rifle for HD as well. My neighbor has a 16" in 5.56 but I thought it was a little heavy if my wife needed to use it.

Does a 10.5" barrel save much on the weight? Or if that's the main consideration would a 7.5" in 300 BO be better?

Also, is 300BO a good round for HD? My house is really close to the neighbors which worries me a bit.

All of that said, I'm really leaning toward a 16" in 5.56 but would love to hear some other opinions or suggestions. Thanks.
Mr. Dubi
If weight is your concern the barrel profile is where the weight is. A 16" pencil barrel with a .625" gas block journal will weigh right at 18 oz. An M4 profile 10.5" barrel will weigh about 20 oz.

Also the handguard can cost a lot of weight; you can get a 10" handguard weighing a pound, or a 15" one that weighs under 10 oz.

It's all in the parts selection. Barrel profile doesn't much affect performance or accuracy in a defensive role, a
light barrel will heat up quickly, and its accuracy will suffer after a mag sump though.
O.G.
BenderRodriguez said:

SAWgunner said:

Bender,

Thanks.

I do.

Due to other commitments, I'm not currently available to teach anything before mid July.

My main focus area is new shooters or long time gun owners finally dipping their toes into the competition and training world. If you're somebody who is already taking classes from the big names, I'd rather just sign up as another student with you for one of their classes, because we'd both learn more.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I know a couple people that could use it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Parts gathering for the next build has started.

reddog90
AG
Geissele all the things
dr_boogs
AG
What's the plan?
BenderRodriguez
AG
dr_boogs said:

What's the plan?
Getting into a new caliber with this one, I think.

I've got 5.56 covered in every iteration I could want from 20" on down. I've got a 8.5" 300 blk. So for this build I'm jumping the other direction: 6.5 Grendel.

Right now plan is for another lightweight "do it all" gun. I've heard great things about short barrel Grendels, so I'm going to build something very similar to my pinned 14.5" lightweight 5.56 gun....no f/a upper, lightweight 12" barrel, lightweight free float tube....

Most of my current ARs have red dots, irons or prism sights on them. 6.5 Grendel, even out of a 12" barrel has enough legs that it should have some reach, so I'm going to throw a 1-8 variable at this one and see how I like it.

If I like the SBR version, I'll eventually build a lightweight 18" grendel upper too and throw more glass on it, maybe something in the 4-14x range, add a bipod and see if I can start playing out to 1000 yards.

6.5 Grendel should let me stretch out a bit into the long range game, something I haven't done much of yet.
Walter Kovacs
AG
For anyone wanting a decent grendel barrel, or wylde, or 308, 450 Bush, etc... Satern/liberty is having a sale

https://shop.saternbarrels.net/t/specialdeals
BenderRodriguez
AG
I thought my aim surplus lightweight bcg was nice. This 2A titanium regulated BCG is on a whole 'nother level.

It's definitely going in the Grendel build.

Van Buren Boy
AG
Walter Kovacs said:

For anyone wanting a decent grendel barrel, or wylde, or 308, 450 Bush, etc... Satern/liberty is having a sale

Thanks for the heads up. Not super familiar with liberty. Are they on par with a ballistic advantage? If so, this seems like a really good deal:

https://shop.saternbarrels.net/products/18-65-grendel-med-mid-1-8-ss
Walter Kovacs
AG
Van Buren Boy said:

Walter Kovacs said:

Thanks for the heads up. Not super familiar with liberty. Are they on par with a ballistic advantage? If so, this seems like a really good deal:

I would put them on the same level. Mass produced, button rifled, and typically overgassed. I run an adjustable gas block on mine. Results are moa to sub moa. Liberty are their lower tier barrels and to be fair if you Google them you will have to wade through a myriad of forum posts. Many of which have to do with a bad batch from years ago. Dig a little deeper (not the grendel forum) and you will find good reviews.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Walter Kovacs said:

Van Buren Boy said:

Walter Kovacs said:

I would put them on the same level. Mass produced, button rifled, and typically overgassed. I run an adjustable gas block on mine. Results are moa to sub moa. Liberty are their lower tier barrels and to be fair if you Google them you will have to wade through a myriad of forum posts. Many of which have to do with a bad batch from years ago. Dig a little deeper (not the grendel forum) and you will find good reviews.

Thanks!
maverick2076
You are going to love it. I've got a 12.5" Grendel SBR I really like. Haven't gotten as much trigger time with it as I want, but it's a great shooter.
BenderRodriguez
AG
My lightweight 5.56 build was a really nice change from the heavy as hell 20" A4 clone that was my newest AR before I built it.

I'm trying to cut even more weight off this one since I'll be putting a heavy 1-8x on it.

Standard bcg is ~11.6 oz.
The Aim Surplus lightweight bcg in my 5.56 gun is 8.9 oz.
That 2A bcg weighs in at 5.95 oz.

it's a noticeable difference shooting when I dropped it into the 5.56 gun, and I didn't even take advantage of the ability to tune the gas at the BCG. Tuned and paired with a low mass buffer, it should make that Grendel a really nice shooter.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I have a 6.5 Grendel with a 20" Shilen barrel and a 6.8 SPC II with an 11.3" Wilson Combat barrel. I love them both, and am curious why you picked the 6.5 Grendel for the shorter length. Not that there's a right or wrong answer.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Really liking lightweight ARs right now after my 14.5" 5.56 lightweight build.

One big gap in my current AR collection is long range stuff. I live close enough to Tiger Valley in Waco that I really should be taking advantage and shooting at distance...and I'm not.

But, I like lightweight stuff.

So based on this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Update-12-Grendel-w-initial-Long-Range-results-Suppressed-results/121-727723/?page=1 I decided to try a build a lightweight 12" grendel. Light weight ARs are just so convenient, and a short, light grendel is still supersonic a long way out.

I've got 300 blk for short range "non 5.56" AR, and I wanted something for "non 5.56" long range AR options too. 6.5 Grendel fits that bill much better than anything else.

I'll eventually build a 18" 6.5 grendel upper as well, but lightweight, long range, do it all gun sounds like a fun challenge at the moment.
Jethro95
AG
Doing research for my first AR build. I'm thinking 6.5 Grendel. This will be for hunting hogs and whitetails and will be replacing the Winchester Model 100 308 that was my grandfathers gun before he gave it to me. I've been looking at the Ballistic Advantage barrels and I am wondering if there is any reason not to go with the fluted version given the weight savings?
West Texan
AG
I'm sure it's probably been covered in this thread (or the multitude of other AR threads), but what is the opinion on PSA ARs?

I'm wanting to get my first AR, but I'm not looking to spend $1000 plus right now. I'm also not opposed to building one. Just looking at getting it in 5.56 and using it for plinking and pigs/varmints.
zooguy96
Jethro95
AG
Ended up going with a deal on the non-fluted version. Also stopped by and picked up a couple lowers from the EyeGuy yesterday. I'm watching all the Black Friday sales pretty closely.
jpb1999
AG
I have a just built AR 556 pistol from PSA that I bought a while back, just never had a chance to build it. Really don't see the need for a pistol anymore as it was going to just be a fun plinking gun. Now I have a 7 year old (then a 5 year old behind him) that needs a deer rifle for a few years and want to convert the 556 pistol to something a little more deer appropriate and maybe something a little more long range, while also maintaining a really light kick for him.

Thinking about 2 different options:
1. Have a friend that has a 224 Valkyrie upper(from bear creek arsenal) that would sale to me for cheap around $100 because he was having accuracy issues with it, around 3" group at 100 yards. He said he didn't mess with it much so not sure what the problem was.
2. Or just buy a fairly cheap new 6.5 Grendel upper. Questions are where should I buy it (will go on a PSA lower) and what barrel length. Will mostly be a blind or bench gun so weight is not a problem, although don't want it too heavy for the 7 year old. Need to keep it as cheap as possible though.

One other question to go with this is what else do I need to convert a PSA 556 pistol to a 6.5 Grendel rifle, besides the 6.5 upper? Pistol now just has a buffer tube.

Edit to add I would rather go with a new 6.5, but right cheapest 6.5 with a 20" barrel is $350 on PSA while 224 would only be around $75... the 224 deal might be hard to pass up. If I can't get it shooting accurate enough he said he would take it back.

Thanks!
Mr. Dubi
Look at ammo cost and availability...

Wolf 6.5 120 gr

224 Valkyrie

Even if you can load your own, the brass for either is expensive.
BenderRodriguez
AG
On a phone, hopefully someone else will chime in on the Grendel conversion that's on a keyboard.

The reason your friend is having accuracy issues with a bear creek barrel is that bear creek is garbage. Don't buy his problem barrel.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.