Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

528,902 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by robstrom
txyaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dr_boogs said:

Txyaloo - you care to comment on running 300 BO subsonics for home defense? While it has a cool factor all the data I've encountered and recs from folks who know their stuff suggest that you should probably use supers for home defense and hunting. Subsonic really is kind of a gee whiz range-day application.

I'm just finishing up a 300 blk SBR and plan to run Barnes black tips w my suppressor for home defense.
I agree with you - I only ever run subs when plinking for the coolness factor. I know some people use them for hunting, but if your shot placement isn't spot on, you could easily wound the animal. They just don't have the velocity to expand reliably when shot through a suppressed gun.

I love the Barnes black tips. They're the only 300blk round I'll hunt with, and it's what I keep loaded in my 300blk mags for home defense. I've taken plenty of pigs and decent sized white tail with the round and never had any issues with expansion. If it'll take down a 150lb deer, I'm comfortable at shorter range it'll stop a human threat.
jabberwalkie09
AG
This thread being bumped today reminded me that I should post my stuff.

From top to bottom: Texian billet upper and lower 18" 6.8 SPC, Aero Precision 5.56 16" Texian build, and 5.56 10.5" pistol build. It's a small collection that is bound to grow.
BenderRodriguez
AG
gibberish said:

Galil Ace, What say you? Yea or nay?

No direct experience.

It does take away one of the few advantages the AK has to me as a lefty (right sided charging handle).

I'd prefer an AK if I didn't have one just to become familiar with the platform, but the Galil likely does everything an AK does, only better.
BenderRodriguez
AG
reddog90 said:

Just curious, why did you go 300 blk for this build? I use a 11.5" suppressed SBR for home defense. I built it in 556 because that's what my other ARs were. I'd like to build a folding pistol or buy a scorpion next though.

Mostly because I already had 5.56 ARs in 20", 16", 14.5 pinned to 16", 10.5" and 7.5" lengths?

Wanted something different.

And I'll be picking up a Rugged Micro 30 suppressor. 8.5" gun and 5" suppressor makes for a short, handy package.
BenderRodriguez
AG
dodger02 said:

Hey, Bender -

I'm in the Bell County area. Do you know where I can take my Saiga to get a flash hider installed? Mine has the damn shroud over the end of the barrel and I'm unable to install one myself. Hope this pic works:

I'd reach out to Jason Armstrong with Hammerdown Sports. I use him for FFL transfers and shoot USPSA/IDPA with him, great guy.

Jason Armstrong, Hammerdown Sports

hammerdownsports@hot.rr.com

Let me know if he'll do the work/how it is, I have a Saiga I also need to do the same work on eventually.
BenderRodriguez
AG
That G rail is gorgeous....

All three are good looking guns though.

What optic are you going to be mounting on the 18" gun?
CharlieBrown17
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

There's this guy named EyeGuy we all use jabber. You should talk to him when it's time for an optic.
jabberwalkie09
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

The optic is actually off to Rudolph at the moment for warranty work since I broke the parallax adjustment somehow. What rides up top is one of Rudolph's 4-16 hunter HD: http://rudolphoptics.com/hunter-hd-h2-4-16x42-25mm-tube-with-t4-reticle/

And yeah, I really like the Geissele rail too.
jabberwalkie09
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

There's this guy named EyeGuy we all use jabber. You should talk to him when it's time for an optic.

EyeGuy likes to say that I've spent more in his store than he's paid me, and that's definitely true since evey time I walk in there he's found an interesting or good deal. I resisted buying a Sig Legion not too long ago when they went on sale at one the distributors, but I do want a p225a1.

I'm just fortunate enough that I have another job in addition to working for EyeGuy.
TX_COWDOC
AG
dr_boogs said:

Txyaloo - you care to comment on running 300 BO subsonics for home defense? While it has a cool factor all the data I've encountered and recs from folks who know their stuff suggest that you should probably use supers for home defense and hunting. Subsonic really is kind of a gee whiz range-day application.

I'm just finishing up a 300 blk SBR and plan to run Barnes black tips w my suppressor for home defense.
I'm a fan of the 458 Socom for home defense!
aggie4231
AG
Suggestions on a 9mm Ar pistol.
Already have a bunch of Glock mags.
Budget to Mid range for price.
Already have a holosun or PA red Dot I can use.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
gibberish
AG
You could help everyone else on here and be the first on OB to try the new Ruger PC Carbine glock compatible and report back.

ETA: oh wait not a pistol , nm.
maverick2076
PSA upper and lower.
Ulysses90
AG
Quote:

PSA upper and lower.

I am very pleased with my PSA AR9. It has functioned I have only put a couple of hundred rounds through it but it has functioned flawlessly and you could not ask for better accuracy from a 9mm cartridge at <50 yards. It uses Glock magazines and I bought a couple of 30 round mags from Galati that have not had any problems with the AR9.
CTGilley
AG
First: Why is this not a sticky thread? It is a PITA to find at time.

Second: Is the Magpul STR($70) worth it or do I stick with the RRA tactical Operator stock($80 with tube buffer and spring)? I cannot post links at the moment or I would. The profile is about the same but the SRT has the friction lock.
txyaloo
AG
CTGilley said:

First: Why is this not a sticky thread? It is a PITA to find at time.

Second: Is the Magpul STR($70) worth it or do I stick with the RRA tactical Operator stock($80 with tube buffer and spring)? I cannot post links at the moment or I would. The profile is about the same but the SRT has the friction lock.
I appreciate the friction lock on the STR. My biggest problem is it pulls facial hair which gets to be very annoying very quickly.

If you want a similar stock, you might look at the Magpul ACS. I haven't had the hair pulling issues with those. If you don't have a beard/facial hair, you should be fine with the STR.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Duct tape? Or, even better, gaffer's tape? Seems to be a viable solution, but I could be wrong.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I had problems with magpul stocks and beard hair pulling too. Just switched to the B5 sopmod instead. Really like that stock.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

I had problems with magpul stocks and beard hair pulling too. Just switched to the B5 sopmod instead. Really like that stock.
I'm as terrible about what I'm about to say as anyone can be, so this isn't an indictment at all. I just thought maybe there was an easy solution that, since it required a "ghetto" mod may not have been thought of. Thought I'd suggest the tape.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

BenderRodriguez said:

I'm as terrible about what I'm about to say as anyone can be, so this isn't an indictment at all. I just thought maybe there was an easy solution that, since it required a "ghetto" mod may not have been thought of. Thought I'd suggest the tape.

Tapes not an a bad suggestion at all.

I just never can resist the urge to pimp products I like, including the B5 stocks.
BenderRodriguez
AG
gibberish said:

You could help everyone else on here and be the first on OB to try the new Ruger PC Carbine glock compatible and report back.

I have to say, it holds zero interest for me.

It's what, 7 lbs? Doesn't fold at all....just don't get it over the other Glock mag compatible options out there.

TheEyeGuy
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

gibberish said:

I have to say, it holds zero interest for me.

It's what, 7 lbs? Doesn't fold at all....just don't get it over the other Glock mag compatible options out there.

And looks ugly as sin.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Daddy-O5
AG

I've gone off the deep end a little bit with the AR builds over the past couple of years after buying my first. This is my first pistol, nothing fancy.

Anderson Lower
PSA MOE Pistol Lower Build Kit w/SB Tactical SOB Pistol Brace
PSA 10.5" Pistol Length 300AAC Blackout
Diamond USA Polymer Flip Up Sights (place holders until I decide on optics)
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Is the SOB brace better to shoot than the Shockwave? Want to order one of those lowers and am trying to figure out which one. Would be similar setup and plan to probably shoulder it.

Great setup!
Daddy-O5
AG
Unfortunately this is my first pistol and I can't speak to the shockwave (or any other pistol brace). I'll let you know how I like the SOB once I get to put a few rounds through it.

Thanks! Looking forward to toying around with it soon.

(Wrong icon, weird)
jabberwalkie09
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Is the SOB brace better to shoot than the Shockwave? Want to order one of those lowers and am trying to figure out which one. Would be similar setup and plan to probably shoulder it.

Great setup!

I have the blade on mine, if you're in the area I'll shoot you a PM next time we all go out to the range if you want to try it out.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yes sir! Thank you
TheEyeGuy
AG
Range day Sunday after I get back, actually. Rib requested it actually
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
jabberwalkie09
AgLA06
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Range day Sunday after I get back, actually. Rib requested it actually

Can we do it around lunch time?
aggie4231
AG
I'd be interested, depending on the time. Depending on what work is looking like, may not be able to bring my toys, but definitely willing to pay my share of the ammo bill.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
Antifederalist
AG

Been piecing this together for over a year now. I still have a few odds and ends to get, but it's almost there. It started life as an old Armalite (ban-era), only things left from that gun are the lower and bolt release.

6.8 spc, 16" Bison Armory barrel
JP adjustable gas block
Seekins rail
SDE Geissel trigger
ACS-L stock
Spike's T2 buffer
JP tuned spring
Odin slick side upper
Elftmann button safety
PA 5x prismatic
45-70Ag
AG
Finally got to the range today and fired it for the first time.
BenderRodriguez
AG

Any guesses what it weighs?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'm thinking 12lbs.

Good looking rifle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.