Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

527,894 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by robstrom
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I can vicariously live through those of you that aren't broke college students.
ttha_aggie_09
Daddy-O5
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Here's another newbie question, what's the pros/cons of the stainless barrels? I saw that as well a little earlier, seemed like a pretty good deal.
35chililights
AG
Quote:

The type of steel is far less important than the dimensional quality of the barrel and the care the barrelmaker took to stress-relieve the barrel.

You will hear all of sorts of anecdotal stories about stainless steel lasting less than chrome-plated chrome moly steel and about the tremedous superiority of 4150 steel alloy over 4140.

The reality is this. A barrel "dies" when its throat is so eroded that it starts ripping at the bullet jacket enough to reduce the accuracy unfit for your needs. You have to decide how much accuracy loss you can endure before the rifle isn't suitable for your uses. While stainless steel used in barrels (typically alloy 416) is not as resistant to flame cutting as bare 4140 or 4150, it will still go at least 10K rounds before the accuracy declines to where it won't meet military acceptance standards (4 MOA IIRC). In precision uses, like NRA Highpower, a stainless barrel is shot out at around 3500 to 5000 rounds, but you are talking about a barrel that won't hold 1 MOA at 600 yards. Such a barrel still has tons of life left in it for other uses. So "shot out" is a moving target and it depends on the purpose of the rifle.

The hard chrome plating in some barrels' bores and chambers does extend life by virtute of its higher hardness and resistance to flame erosion (important in the throat) coupled with chromes high oxidation (corrosion) resistance.

As for having to have 4150 chrome vanadium steel in your barrel instead of the more common 4140 chrome molybdenum alloy, it matters if you are going to be doing a lot of full auto or just want to pretend you are cool because you have a "milspec" barrel.

Otherwise, it makes not one hill of beans of difference.

source

CharlieBrown17
AG
Stainless looks cool
Daddy-O5
AG
Excellent info. Thank you.
Ulysses90
AG
They work in complement to you reflective vest to make easier to see against a backdrop of vegetation.
Puryear Playboy
AG
Stainless steel is softer and machines better giving you a better quality barrel. Chrome moly steel is much harder which can cause the cutters to be less precise and even chatter over "hard spots". Hard spots in the steel are like knots in a piece of wood, their presence creates inconsistencies in the bore.

The downside to stainless bores is that the same soft steel that gives much better machining qualities also wears much faster. So you don't get as long a service life, and the throats goes away much faster.

Chrome was added to moly barrels to increase their lifespan and protect from poor cleaning. A military barrel with a 3-4 MOA accuracy requirement can easy go 20-30,000 rounds (full auto will shorten this). I have a Colt milspec barrel with over 20,000 rounds through it that will still put bullets it likes close to an MOA all day long.

Chrome lining is very inconsistent in how it was applied (because accuracy in military barrels was not the foremost requirement) giving a lumpy surface inside the barrel. Those processes are much better now, some makers like Criterion even recut the bore after applying chrome (those are great barrels, but not cheap.)

So the best option now is a stainless barrel that has been chrome lined using the newer improved processes. The best of both worlds where you get to have your icecream and eat it too!
DatTallArchitect
AG
Right to bear.com has Geissele triggers on sale
AGricola08
AG
So I finally got my Fostech Echo trigger in on Monday, installed it on Tuesday, and went shot it today. I know it is pricey, maybe not practical blah blah blah.... but it is freaking awesome! Couldnt wipe the grin off my face! I do not regret buying it.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts with the Devil Dog Concepts Hard Charger? It is a mod to convert normal AR uppers to side chargers. Thought it was a pretty cool concept, but also very "tacticool". I have minor obstructions on the right side of my upper that can make charging with my right hand awkward. My rear offset sight is mounted on the right side at the end of my pic rail, and also my DFA stock adapter is right there as well. So in my mind moving to a side charger on the left would actually offer some benefit. Would like to hear anyone's thoughts.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Puryear Playboy
AG
Solution in search of a problem. Use an extended latch on the charging handle.

Also, you should be charging the rifle with your support hand. Your strong hand should maintain a firing grip on the rifle at all times.

But it looks cool.
DatTallArchitect
AG
$154 for a charging handle!!!
dr_boogs
AG
Puryear, Bender, txyaloo, tx4guns and anyone else that builds a ton of ARs - picking up parts for my .300 blackout SBR build and looking for a premium barrel. I'm a buy once/cry once (within reason), but Satern/Liberty don't seem to have 300 blackout SBR barrels in 8-9 inch, which is the length I want.

Saw another thread where the AAC and Noveske barrels were getting a ton of love. Found this 8.5 inch noveske barrel, but it comes with a low profile gas block. Noveske 8.5 inch w gas block

I was going to go with an adjustable gas block on the rifle so I can tune it if needed, as I'll shoot supers and subs, both with and without my suppressor. Can I remove the stock Noveske gas block that comes with this barrel and replace w an adjustable bas block if I need to? Will start out shooting factory ammo, as I have zero time for reloading.

Other recommendations on premium 300BO SBR barrels?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I'm nothing like the guys you mentioned, but I have been hearing/reading a lot of great stuff on X-Caliber barrels. They are out of Montana and will make you whatever you want, and fair on price. Eventually I want to build an SBR, and may very well go with them for the barrel.
AGricola08
AG
For what it is worth, I built a 300 blkout off a matched gibbz lower and (left) side charging upper..... and I think it is awesome. I know that doesn't help you given you are looking at converting, but I do enjoy the SCH style upper
maverick2076
I'm a lefty, and I am a big fan of right side charging uppers. My 18" AR has one, and the 10.5" SBR I am building will too. I don't even have to take my cheek off the stock to reload.
JonSnow
How accurate can you expect to shoot with a base AR with iron sites standing at 25 yards?
JonSnow
Is there a board member currently putting together ARs for purchase?
BenderRodriguez
AG
kberma2009 said:

You can build one, we can help.

I'm in California for a week so my responses are going to be limited to what I can type in a phone for now.
BenderRodriguez
AG
kberma2009 said:

How accurate can you expect to shoot with a base AR with iron sites standing at 25 yards?

Depends on the AR, the ammo and most importantly the shooter.

The limiting factor at that distance is mostly going to be you, not the gun IMO
DatTallArchitect
AG
kberma2009 said:

As Bender said, there are plenty of knowledgeable folks on here that will be more than willing to help guide you through the process of building your own AR. However, if you would rather have someone build it for you, Eyeguy has his own shop (Houston) and will get you setup.

Some questions you should ask yourself are:
- What all do you want to do with it?
- How much do you want to spend?

Then other questions will start popping up like:
- What caliber?
- Rifle or pistol? Or is SBR the route for you?
- Do you plan on getting a suppressor for it?
- etc.
JonSnow
Fairly new to shooting. Have become handgun proficient. Can shoot small groups at 15 m with my Sig P320RX 9mm. Shot an AR for the first time today and am hooked. At 25 yards with iron sights felt I could barely see the target (could easily hit an 8 inch target but scattered) so I know I will want an optic. Not really sure what I will use for. Probably a mix of range toy, plinking, and occasional hunting. Doubt ever more than 200-300 yards. Since it's my first AR I figured 556 makes the most sense. I know I will want to eventually suppress so I have thought of 300BLK. I have no experience building or working on firearms. Was hoping to spend under $1500 for gun and optic combined. Appreciate all the advise.
maverick2076
5.56mm 16" barrel from a good manufacturer, mid length gas system, adjustable stock with a decent cheek rest built in, full length free float rail of your choice. Upgraded trigger and muzzle device, 1-4x or 1-6x variable scope in a good mount. That should do everything you want. Add a case and mags and you should still be under budget. Spend the rest in ammo.
TheEyeGuy
AG
kberma2009 said:

Um... Hi!

Email me at owner@texianfirearms.com
JonSnow
Sending email
dr_boogs
AG
dr_boogs said:

Puryear, Bender, txyaloo, tx4guns and anyone else that builds a ton of ARs - picking up parts for my .300 blackout SBR build and looking for a premium barrel. I'm a buy once/cry once (within reason), but Satern/Liberty don't seem to have 300 blackout SBR barrels in 8-9 inch, which is the length I want.

Saw another thread where the AAC and Noveske barrels were getting a ton of love. Found this 8.5 inch noveske barrel, but it comes with a low profile gas block. Noveske 8.5 inch w gas block

I was going to go with an adjustable gas block on the rifle so I can tune it if needed, as I'll shoot supers and subs, both with and without my suppressor. Can I remove the stock Noveske gas block that comes with this barrel and replace w an adjustable bas block if I need to? Will start out shooting factory ammo, as I have zero time for reloading.

Bump for the morning crowd.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'll be devil's advocate here and say I don't see the need for a premium barrel in an 8.5, you can buy something mid range and I'd guess never feel like you're missing out.
3rdGenAg05
AG
I bought a slightly used 9" AAC upper last fall and have no issues with it. I only have about 200 rounds through it as of yet, but it's a hog killer. I occasionally shoot subs up close at steel, but mostly supers. I have not shot it unsuppressed.
It is accurate with most rounds. I bought some Lehigh defense hollow points for hogs and I can only do about a 3" group at 100 yards with those, but that is using a night scope during the day resting on a wobbly picnic table-the perfect field bzo setup.
MGS
BenderRodriguez said:

kberma2009 said:

You can build one, we can help.

I'm in California for a week so my responses are going to be limited to what I can type in a phone for now.
I think you may have just violated California law by posting on this thread.
maverick2076
dr_boogs said:

dr_boogs said:

Bump for the morning crowd.
I helped my MIL's boyfriend build one with an Odin Works barrel that came with an adjustable gas block, and he has been very happy with its performance.
35chililights
AG
I'm happy with my Wilson combat barrel. I could have sworn they made a smaller size than turbine I have at 11.3", but I can't seem to find it.

I think you'd be happy with any of the barrels. You might check out rainier arms. That was one place I was searching before I settled on the Wilson barrel.
xMusashix
AG
For my 300 BO SBR I chose the spikes tactical 10.5" barrel supposedly from Lothar Walther.

The LW barrel I bought through Texags is amazing, so I am hoping for similar here. I have only function tested so haven't shot for accuracy yet so I can't give any feedback on performance.
dr_boogs
AG
35chililights said:

I'm happy with my Wilson combat barrel. I could have sworn they made a smaller size than turbine I have at 11.3", but I can't seem to find it.

I think you'd be happy with any of the barrels. You might check out rainier arms. That was one place I was searching before I settled on the Wilson barrel.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Putting a Wilson Combat on my 6.8 SPC thanks to a barrel swap from EyeGuy. I checked Wilson as well for the 300 blk barrels for SBRs and couldn't find an 8-9 inch. Ranier was a good thought, forgot to mention them in my thread. All of their entry, mid-level, and premium barrels in 300 blk are listed as out of stock on their website. Found a decent price on the 9 inch AAC barrel, so may go with that one.
TheEyeGuy
AG
At 9", unless you absolutely have to have the best, I wouldn't be as picky about brand. As long as it's a company with a good rep, you won't see a huge difference in end performance between mid and top tier barrels for SBRs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.