Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

527,909 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by robstrom
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
6.5Grendel is AR-15 as well. 6.5CM would be what you're thinking of not being able to work in an ar15
TheEyeGuy
AG
6.8 and 6.5 grendel will both work with an AR15 lower. Just need the right magazine and bolt
AverageJones
AG
FDE grendels look nice

TheEyeGuy
AG
I should have gotten that armadillo filled in black...
CharlieBrown17
AG
Realistically, what is the range where 6.5 Grendel starts to get out done by the ar 10 calibers (6.5CM, .260,etc)?
TheEyeGuy
AG
In what regards? Punching paper or hunting?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Paper/steel

I really only use my .270 for animals/don't have any area to hunt distance
DatTallArchitect
AG
6.5 Grendel. Do it
AverageJones
AG
It's not too late if you really want to
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You guys are bad influences... but I like you're style
BenderRodriguez
AG
Oh hello there EBR thread. You look like you could use some variety.

BreNayPop
AG
So thats a pistol and not an sbr, correct?
BenderRodriguez
AG
BreNayPop said:

Yup. 12" barrel.

The G3k was (and is) a very popular rifle with cops in Europe. First picture I saw of it that made me think "That might be a fun little gun":

DatTallArchitect
AG
I hope to have mine finished very soon
ttha_aggie_09
AG
What upper did you use?
DatTallArchitect
AG
Eyeguy is building my upper. I also ordered a lowered from him with a custom serial number. As soon as I get that, it will be time to start putting it all together.
The Wonderer
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

BreNayPop said:

Yup. 12" barrel.

The G3k was (and is) a very popular rifle with cops in Europe. First picture I saw of it that made me think "That might be a fun little gun":

Bender, how do you like it? I've seen the c308 start floating around on sale lately and it piqued my interest for a battle rifle in 308.
FancyKetchup14
AG
So I joined the AR family today. Had a guy at work build me one. Now for optics...

I have some flip up sights but I'd like some decent optics to hit targets out at 200 yards, any advice on what to get? Budget would be around $250-300.

Are Vortex Strike Eagles all they're cracked up to be?
TheVarian
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Are Vortex Strike Eagles all they're cracked up to be?

Yupp. Fun and clear optic. Don't have one but have shot with one a few times
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Anyone have experience with the new 1-8x? Looks goood
BreNayPop
AG
Im a big fan of the primary arms acss reticle
aggie4231
AG
Look for buis.

Was going to use magpul gen 2 from another project, but they won't work with the rail I have. Got an Aero M-LOK rail with a short picatinny section that is screwed on. The locking mechanism on the mbuis is to low to work on that section and won't fully depress and let the sight flip up.

So what options are there for buis? Don't want super cheap, but don't want to break the bank.
maverick2076
Look at 45 degree offset irons.
txyaloo
AG
The Wonderer said:

BenderRodriguez said:

BreNayPop said:

Yup. 12" barrel.

Bender, how do you like it? I've seen the c308 start floating around on sale lately and it piqued my interest for a battle rifle in 308.
G3s are awesome. The Century ones are generally built ok. I'd check head space before buying one. It can be adjusted with new rollers, but I've seen some instances of trunions not set correctly.
ag0207
AG
I own two AR's but have never built one. As much fun as I have had owning them I have decided it's time I build one. After some reading I am on the fence about buying a complete upper or building one. I would prefer to build one. My only concern is head space on the upper. Is this something you guys check or have a gunsmith check or do you build & not worry about it? It seems most people on the internet don't but a few say it is crucial. Thoughts?

So far these are the main parts I would like to use:
Aero precision stripped upper & lower (matched set Texas edition)
Barrel 16" stealth (Larue)
Hand guard 13.2" (Larue)
Trigger Larue MBT2-already have. picked it up when they had the $99 sale
Undecided on the BCG & butt stock
I assume all the parts kits, charging handles etc are all pretty similar.
Cost of the rifle ~$1100

Optic-vortex strike eagle 1-8x
If I do irons I will probably do Troy flip up
CharlieBrown17
AG
Headspace is a non issue. Its done by the manufacturer, but if you really want you can get a set of headspace gauges to check it. Doesn't need to be a gunsmith.

Go-No Go Gauges
ag0207
AG
Thanks. Since I'm a novice at this I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something important.
Daddy-O5
AG
Took my AR out to the range yesterday and put 100 rounds or so through it. About halfway in I noticed my optics (red dot and red dot multiplier) were loose. Is this a common problem? Should I have just bound them down tighter to begin with or is locktite blue an safe option?

Just for reference its a Sig Romeo 4A red dot and a VMX 3T Magnifier.

BenderRodriguez
AG
The Wonderer said:

So, just to be very clear: The best semi auto .308s are the market are the AR-10 and SCAR variants.

If you want the best with the most aftermarket support, that is where you need to be looking.

But, if you were going to go for an old school .308 option, I think the PTR G3 clones are just about the best option available right now for several reasons.

Magazines are still cheap and available.....~$3-$4 dollars. I have a box of like 90 of them somewhere.

The new PTRs are coming in with welded optic rails and paddle mag releases installed, which solve two of the biggest gripes about G3s in the US: ease of mounting optics and needing orangutan fingers to hit the mag release.

The other nice thing is that G3s are not picky about length. It's going to be a struggle to get an 11" FAL to run right, and forget about doing one with the M1A. But there are 12" and even 8" PTRs available if you want an SBR .308 (and who DOESN'T want a SBR'd .308?) and they all run well.

I highly recommend them if you want an old school style battle rifle.

CharlieBrown17
AG
I've never had optics wander on an AR. I always torque to spec with a fat wrench and use loctite
Daddy-O5
AG
Appreciate the feedback. I'll make sure to take those actions and try again.
BenderRodriguez
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

I've never had optics wander on an AR. I always torque to spec with a fat wrench and use loctite

Yep, loctite is your friend.

CharlieBrown17
AG
PSA has a keymod and a mlok railed AR-10 for 700 each right now
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I have intentionally been ignoring my PSA emails and you come here with this nonsense?

Why would you do this?
Daddy-O5
AG
Here's another newbie question, what's the pros/cons of the stainless barrels? I saw that as well a little earlier, seemed like a pretty good deal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.