Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

504,110 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's why most shoot subsonic and suppressed.

300 blackout was made for that.
BCO07
AG
I guess my problem with that is at those speeds the difference in energy between 300blk and a 9mm isn't enough to justify the expense of the round, a new gun, and negatives of bulk of the AR platform compared to a handgun.
AgLA06
AG
It's a 220 grain, 30 caliber bullet with a 30 round magazine and a convenient platform for a red dot and light.

9mm hand gun isn't a good comparison.
TamuKid
AG
AgLA06 said:

It's a 220 grain, 30 caliber bullet with a 30 round magazine and a convenient platform for a red dot and light.

9mm hand gun isn't a good comparison.

Oh yeah, and it can be stabilized with a buttstock against your shoulder, cheekweld, and a forward grip.

a rifle is much easier to shoot than a pistol.
BCO07
AG
I was just talking about muzzle energy in comparison. Taking the round subsonic moves the enery into the 400s about 30% than a 9mm round but less than half of a 5.56. If I'm going to use a bulker more difficult to manage platform I don't want to sacrifice the major benefit of moving to a rifle
Average Joe
AG
BCO07 said:

I was just talking about muzzle energy in comparison. Taking the round subsonic moves the enery into the 400s about 30% than a 9mm round but less than half of a 5.56. If I'm going to use a bulker more difficult to manage platform I don't want to sacrifice the major benefit of moving to a rifle
If over penetration is what you are worried about then might as well go with a .45 instead of the 9mm. There are videos and reports of a 9mm going through refrigerators. Might as well go slower and fatter than even 9mm.
BCO07
AG
It's just part of it. The others are muzzle energy (see above) and round availability. That's why I like 5.56 good mix of all major considerations
BCO07
AG
Anywho, didn't mean to derail or offend anyone by criticizing a rifle round. Got the info I was hoping for. Seems like 10.5 in 5.56 makes the most sense for me.
Puryear Playboy
AG
07, unsuppressed Anything inside the house is going to be mind numbing for you and anyone with you.

10.5" barrels just add to the fun. Shorter than 16" you will really want to get the CAN on there ASAP.

In a home defense situation you won't have ear pro and you won't be getting in a Bruce Willis gunfight either. Well designed subsonic ammo solves a lot of problems and let you hear afterwards too. Suppressed or unsuppressed.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
maverick2076 said:

Don't go below 10.5" if you are going to suppress 5.56. Most suppressors will not take the pressure.

I'd highly recommend you build a .300 BLK with an 8"-9" barrel instead. It will suppress better and perform better at close ranges than 5.56.

If you really want short, do what I did and build an AR-9 or an AR-45 with a 4.5" barrel and suppress that.

Are you saying anything less than 10.5 won't suppress or including 10.5? Because all of Mk18 clones are 10.3 and many of those are suppressed
The Wonderer
AG
cpsencik04 said:

maverick2076 said:

Don't go below 10.5" if you are going to suppress 5.56. Most suppressors will not take the pressure.

I'd highly recommend you build a .300 BLK with an 8"-9" barrel instead. It will suppress better and perform better at close ranges than 5.56.

If you really want short, do what I did and build an AR-9 or an AR-45 with a 4.5" barrel and suppress that.

Are you saying anything less than 10.5 won't suppress or including 10.5? Because all of Mk18 clones are 10.3 and many of those are suppressed
Most suppressors are will not be warrantied if attached to a <10.5" barrel. There are some that are rated all the way down to 7".
Puryear Playboy
AG
There is A LOT of unburned powder (mass) and pressure (being very close to the chamber) impacting the blast baffle of a suppressor on a 7-8" pistol barrel. It's very hard on them and makes warranty tricky.

Plus you get a lot more exiting the can and it's not near as effiecient as you would like in terms of suppression.
txyaloo
AG
cpsencik04 said:

maverick2076 said:

This was on a MK18 when it blew out... Bullets frequently don't stabilize in barrels <10.5". Baffle strikes are somewhat frequent because of this.

45-70Ag
gibberish
AG
A Daniel Defense MK18? or MK18 pattern?
txyaloo
AG
gibberish said:

A Daniel Defense MK18? or MK18 pattern?

A DD MK18. The RISII is the only good part of the factory upper. The barrels are all over gassed. I've been too lazy to install an adjustable gas block or insert into the gas port. Also, this gun when suppressed won't set off tannerite - velocities are just too low.

BreNayPop
AG
PSA running a special on SPARCs for $139 with promo code SPARC...
CharlieBrown17
AG
They are also running a build kit with a bunch of speer gold for for 599.99
The Wonderer
AG
GEISSELE SUPER SEMI-AUTOMATIC ENHANCED (SSA-E) TRIGGER & TEN (10) MAGPUL PMAG 30, 5.56X45 MAGAZINES for $240.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/geissele-super-semi-automatic-enhanced-ssa-e-trigger-ten-10-magpul-pmag-30-5-56x45-magazines.html
CTGilley
AG
I saw that but I am gun broke at the moment.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
BreNayPop said:

Do y'all have a positive opinion of the SPARC?

Seems to be good. Looking for something similar on home defense AR
BreNayPop
AG
I like mine for the money... for 139 i couldnt pass it up.

I have also had good experiences with cheaper bushnell and burris red dots as well... but those seem more hit or miss.
The Wonderer
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

BreNayPop said:

Do y'all have a positive opinion of the SPARC?

Seems to be good. Looking for something similar on home defense AR
Run one on my 10.5" AR pistol. Really like it. Quality optic for the price - especially that price.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Well crap. That's not the response I needed. PSA and the eyeguy are going to bankrupt me.
BreNayPop
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Well crap. That's not the response I needed. PSA and the eyeguy are going to bankrupt me.

The vendors may change as the need changes, but hopefully we go bankrupt now to avoid buying in the more expensive times.

At least, thats the lie i tell my wife.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm constantly having to convince my wife "new gun? I've always had this one... its just been in the safe for a long time"
BreNayPop
AG
Learn that trick young... unfortunately its sad how many purses and shoes shes just had in her closet the whole time that i have never seen.

Plausible deniability
aggie4231
AG
What all is needed to go from fsb and 2 piece hand guard to ff rail?
BCO07
AG
Psa has 5.56 nickel boron bcg for $100
txyaloo
AG
aggie4231 said:

What all is needed to go from fsb and 2 piece hand guard to ff rail?
New FSB
New rail which will come with a new barrel nut and shims

You'll also need some roll pin punches to remove the old FSB
AgTDub
AG
Where do y'all recommend getting engraved dust covers? Looking for a "Come and Take It" one but my google search just brings me to sketchy looking websites.

TIA
CTGilley
AG
I used Tactical Gear Junkie to have one custom made. I am very happy with it.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I bought mine from Thunderbolt Gunworks.

ETA: While they don't show the "Come and Take It" on their website, I know they have them. Dad and I both bought dust covers from them recently at a gun show.

http://www.thunderboltgunworks.com/pb/wp_10eb2636/wp_10eb2636.html
AgTDub
AG
Thanks guys!
reveille23
new to the AR world. First build is complete, shoots great at the range and now I'm excited to take it into the field this is a hunting rig, for running after hogs mostly, possibly yotes.

But I need suggestion for a sling. Not sure whether to go with a one point style or a more conventional hunting carry strap. What does the OB suggest?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.