Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

494,268 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zjones920 said:

Well good news on my front boys. I went to academy this morning and picked up some 5.56 55g American Eagle.. worked like a champ. So it looks like I have/had an ammo problem.

Good deal. Put a few hundred rounds of that American Eagle through it, give it another good cleaning and lube, and then go back to your cheap ammo. I bet it will be fine.
The Wonderer
AG
CTGilley said:

Not sure where you are located but if near BCS I would not mind giving you a hand but it is pretty easy. I do get the head space checked for my peace of mind. Finding a build party is another option.

"Will Work for Beer"
Jan 28th at OFN's place
GeeBee
AG
Astroag said:

silly question: Is there somewhere that has a AR for dummies breakdown on the lower/upper, lengths, pistol vs rifle, stamp issues, and which requires what? ...I'm slowly going through this amazing thread and keep seeing these things and get a bit mixed up. Looking to do my first "build" in the near future

Get this book. You don't even really need a torque wrench. The torque spec on an AR is so wide...basically snug to really tight. Buy a barrel nut wrench and some roll pin punches and you should be good.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunsmithing-AR-15-Manual-Patrick-Sweeney/dp/1440246602/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483048629&sr=8-4&keywords=ar15+book
CTGilley
AG
This is new to me. I know I need more information but it is a friend of a friend thing. I am working on the details but the story is:

He got a new AR for Christmas and when shooting it every spent case was missing the primer. Factory ammo is the only detail I have at this time.

Anyone ever seen this?
The Wonderer
AG
CTGilley said:

This is new to me. I know I need more information but it is a friend of a friend thing. I am working on the details but the story is:

He got a new AR for Christmas and when shooting it every spent case was missing the primer. Factory ammo is the only detail I have at this time.

Anyone ever seen this?
what factory?
skelso
AG
CT, primer blow out is due to high pressure. It can lead to catastrophic failure so tell him to quit shooting it until he figures out the cause.

Questions to ask:
did he assemble the rifle or buy it built out?
if he built it, did he check headspace?
what barrel (manufacturer and caliber)
what ammo (brand, caliber, bullet type and weight)
does it do it with all ammo or just one type?

The Wonderer
AG
Another thought, he's not shooting 5.56 through a strict .223 barrel is he?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Sneak peek at my finally almost finished class year lower build. Charging handle and muzzle device get here tomorrow god willing. BCG is here but not in since no CH.

dubi
skelso
AgLA06
AG
Nice! What optic are you running?
TamuKid
AG
Bought some strike industries bolt catches and forward assists. The roll pins they provided were too large. Measured with calipers and they were all .1010. Versus the specified diameter of .093. Had a hell of a time getting a bolt catch pin out that got started less than an eight of an inch. Measured it after the fact (in its closed position) and it was .097. Anyone have this issue before? I wrote SI a nasty email about it.
CTGilley
AG
skelso said:

CT, primer blow out is due to high pressure. It can lead to catastrophic failure so tell him to quit shooting it until he figures out the cause.

Questions to ask:
did he assemble the rifle or buy it built out?
if he built it, did he check headspace?
what barrel (manufacturer and caliber)
what ammo (brand, caliber, bullet type and weight)
does it do it with all ammo or just one type?

Thank that answer made me feel better.

That was my answer and all my questions and I got the "I don't know I will ask."
CharlieBrown17
AG
It's a viper 6.5-20x50
AgLA06
AG
Nice!
Astroag
AG
Def keeping this noted for when I do it!!! Really appreciate it!!!

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
Bazooka Joe
AG
Mines getting close too. Hope to show it in a week or so. I'm out next week hunting, do it may stretch into a couple weeks. Those who have offered advice will see items they recognize.
AlaskanAg99
AG
When building your own, and looking for mid-high end (but not competition level, shooting competition) how much should you be spending? No scope, just iron sights, for a reliable sturdy weapon? I'm guessing $600-800?
maverick2076
That is easily doable in that budget.
AlaskanAg99
AG
maverick2076 said:

That is easily doable in that budget.

What are some really good brand names to look at for the upper and lower? I realize there are a lot of options and more opionions. I just know nothing of this hobby. Until recently I was just going to save for longer and buy a Colt AR. But reading this has got me more interested in DIY.
maverick2076
In your budget? I'd probably be looking at AeroPrecision, PSA or Spikes for stripped uppers/lowers. Stick with forged stuff and stay away from billet st your price range to give you more money for other parts. Personally, I have no issue with Anderson uppers and lowers. Some people don't like their roll mark, but I don't care about that. Their finish isn't as nice as some others, but I'm not building beauty queens.
Van Buren Boy
AG
I like Mega, Spikes and Aero but there tons of other great manufacturers.
CTGilley
AG
I really like the Black Creek lowers I bought from Kelso. There are several little things that make it super easy to assemble. They also have a set screw to remove any slop.
MTxTwelve

AgLA06
AG
#2 doesn't quite have enough going on. Maybe add another color or something else to the rail?
dubi
maverick2076
Anyone have any experience with Dead Foot Arms? They have a folding stock adapter that allows you to fire your AR with the stock folded. It's pricey, but I'm considering it for my 9mm SBR.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Charging handle and muzzle brake didn't get here today and I have an outdoors wedding tomorrow followed by out of town time so no finished rifle for me this year
Zjones920
I don't know how to post pics.. but I just finished my 300 blackout rifle build... too bad it will be a while before I can shoot it.

https://imgur.com/a/uIkEY
Naveronski
AG
Zjones920 said:

I don't know how to post pics.. but I just finished my 300 blackout rifle build... too bad it will be a while before I can shoot it.

https://imgur.com/a/uIkEY
Zjones920
Thanks!
Puryear Playboy
AG
Well...I am in the Grendel club now...

Decided to rebarrel my MK12 Mod 0-ish clone. Built this rifle in 2000, and did a lot of stuff with it...was even my primary 3gun rifle for a good while. Barrel was a Colt USGI 1-7 that I cut to 17.5". It was lightly used when I acquired it and I stoped counting rounds through it at 15,000. I bet it has over 20k now, and while it still holds an inch or so with ammo it likes I want more out of this rifle. The barrel will go into another 3gun upper for CCMU to use.

[URL=.html][/URL]

I have been thinking about a Grendel for a while, and since the last thing I need is another 18" 5.56 this rifle started looking like a good candidate. In a weak moment before Christmas I was on the AR Performance web page and they had a sale on rifle length 18" 6.5 barrels with fitted bolts...that's sort of like a direct order from the Gods of Odin, right?

[URL=.html][/URL]

I had a YHM billet upper from a recent trade. I have never worshiped at the throne of billet receiver components, but if you were ever going to use one on a rifle, this is surely the one to use it on.

I like the looks of this receiver. It's also coated on the interior. I need a forward assist for it, and it doesn't fit in standard receiver vice blocks, but otherwise it's well done.

Internals are mostly JP from way back. This receiver is an old Bushmaster, which for you younger guys was considered one of the best you could get besides Colt...and I never thought Colts were that big a deal.

If you look on PRI tube you will notice the offset irons. These are JPs and these are what started the whole concept. I picked these up off the prize table at the Rocky Mountain 3Gun in the early 2000's. Back then there were no low power optics. You ran a dot, irons or something like a 3x9 scope. The big 3Gun matches ( and there was only five or six) were all very different. RM3G was John Paul's match and being at Whittington Center it was one of the few that offered real long range shooting. Most had nothing over 1-200 yards. So when you went to RM3G you brought a rifle with a scope.

Now understand scopes have come a LONG way in just 15 years. I remember when Simmons came out with a turkey scope that was 1.5 -5x and it was a sensation! Holly cow! You could almost run it like a dot! It was a different time. That scope also had a diamond shaped box around the crosshairs...talk about fast. Remembet most guys were running deer rifle scopes. Leupold had a 2-7x if you could find one.

So at the RM3G that year John Paul had paper at 4-10 yards that had to be engaged in between the long range (out to 500) steel. It was fun to watch since that had never happened before. He was selling these sights for $175. That's less than most of the scopes of the rifles at the match...and brother, you were happy to have one!

The sights are the same length as a 5" 1911 and on the handguard they are the same distance from your eye and easy to use.

Since I am on the Gemtech ProStaff it is a no brainer to use their new brake and blast jacket.

To be continued...
Naveronski
Astroag
AG
What kind of budget (minus optics) would I need for a high quality ar build....

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
BenderRodriguez
AG
Astroag said:

What kind of budget (minus optics) would I need for a high quality ar build....

What are you going to do with it?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.