Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

504,143 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
Nealthedestroyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No need to pay someone to do it. It's easy. Just follow the instructions in this thread.

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/painting-your-carbine-from-the-book-of-pat
Got my tracking number for the $99 MBT. Much faster than I was expecting.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
A lot of us are either building or about to build AR's it seems. I have finished one and am currently working on a second. Many times when I'm shopping parts I find myself unfamiliar with the manufacturer because there are so freaking many out there! It would be awesome to have some of you really experienced guys compile manufacturers into groups such as Tier 1, Tier 2, etc.. or Top of the line, budget, stay the hell away from etc.. I would hate to build what i think is a "Top tier" AR only to find out that I have included a ****ty part in the mix unknowingly. Does that make sense?

It does, but holy hell are there a ton of parts/manufacturers out there and more every year.

There are pages and pages and pages arguing over this being superior to that, etc on the AR dedicated forums....it can get really messy really quick.

I can try to work on something, but it's going to take me a while, and I'm far from the final authority on stuff like this.....so.....not sure which way to jump here.

For now, if you're curious about a part, maybe just asking in the thread is the best/quickest way to get an answer, and as we start to see common questions they can be thrown into an FAQ of sorts that I could edit onto the first page.

Thoughts?

gumby579
AG
quote:
Anyone else want a red safety+mag release+charging handle.

I have already put in my Krylon order with Mr Dubi!
Tempting....
nealan
That makes sense. I'll start with the example of parts kits... are most lower parts kits equal. They are mostly pins and springs (not counting fire control parts). Also, charging handles.. seem pretty simple. I would think most of them were as good as the next. That's just a couple things off the top of my head
BenderRodriguez
AG
Also, anyone looking for magazines:

Brand new 30 round aluminum with Magpul followers for $6.99 each
BenderRodriguez
AG
Lower parts kits: I haven't really run into a "bad" one yet. I will say that one of the most worth it upgrades you can do to an AR is a nicer than standard LPK trigger group, which means that what I recommend is buying a parts kit that doesn't come with one.

White Oak Armament has a $40 kit that does not come with a trigger group, or you can combine it with an ALG trigger to make a "complete" LPK. The ALG trigger is a nice, budget upgrade over your standard trigger, Larue MBT isn't bad (though he's kind of an ass so I'm pretty meh on recommending his stuff, even if it is usually good), any of the Geissele triggers are superb, along with lots of other offerings from CMC etc.

Another good "build your own" LPK resource is Red Barn Armory, where you can go minimalist or add upgraded triggers/grips, etc if you choose.

PSA's standard LPKs are fine, as are DPMS. Lots of people swear by Spikes and Daniel Defense if you want to go a little higher end.

But as I said, my recommendation is to buy a LPK -trigger group, and go ahead and buy an upgraded trigger from the beginning. You can get options like the ALG trigger for not much more than a parts kit with a mil spec trigger would cost you, and it's going to be a much better trigger.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Charging handles...

Stock, GI type that come with everything are fine, workable solutions. You don't "need" an upgraded CH.

But, the real upgrade you get with aftermarket charging handles have less to do with reliability/durability and more to do with ease of use, IMO. So if you're going to shoot much, and especially if you're going to do any competition stuff like 3 gun, and double especially if you're a left handed shooter....aftermarket CHs are nice.

The first and last word in CH for my taste is the BCM Gunfighter series. It's well made, you have a variety of options on latch size and ambidextrous or not, etc. I prefer the Mod 4 medium latch....3 is too big IMO and 5 might as well be a GI latch. Their ambi CH is going on my next build.

Other people like the Raptor Ambi, and like everything else they make the Geissele version is a great option too.

nealan
Good info, thanks. I'll bring more specific questions to this thread as they come
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Not sure if we have an AR tips and tricks thread but...

If you have a recoil spring that makes a loud "spring" noise when you shoot.... Add a light coat of CLP to the entire length of the spring. This will help alleviate the noise.

While the sprong sound doesn't affect functionality it can be annoying.
maverick2076
Palmetto State's Defender Classic LPK comes with their enhanced polished trigger. For $60, it's a steal and gives you a trigger upgrade equivalent to the ALG QMS, in my opinion.

For charging handles, I really like the Griffin SNACH (suppressor normalized ambi charging handle). However, it's pricey.
230Ag
AG
anyone have a recommendation for a good set of armorer's tools to assemble an AR? Was looking at the Magpul multi-tool. I already have a set of punches and a torq wrench.
AgEngineer72
AG
Gonna bump this again to get it back on first page and easier to find. Very good reference.
MTxTwelve
Added another Mk12 Mod 1 upper to the arsenal

Nealthedestroyer
AG
230Ag said:

anyone have a recommendation for a good set of armorer's tools to assemble an AR? Was looking at the Magpul multi-tool. I already have a set of punches and a torq wrench.

The magpul wrench should serve you well. Ive used an old powdercoated DPMS wrench for years and never had a problem.
Mr. Dubi
As for charging handles, I like BCM gunfighter for 3gun & carbine matches, but also build up on the top of the CH helps deflect gas on suppressed guns. The Strike Industries is an economical alternative to BCM for gas deflection and to a lesser extetent ease of use.
bkag9824
AG
Have a link for the barrel on the lightweight build?

And what rail specifically, see several options on their website.
jimbo9821
AG
I just landed my first AR .223. Shot it for the first time this weekend and, no wonder everyone has more than one. Its a blast. Thank you to all the different posters on here for lots of great information.

Where do you guys buy your cheap ammo when just shooting for fun?

moore42
AG
I started reading this thread today and i get tiredhead really quickly. Its pretty much the same with any AR build thread or article i've read. So many options and so little i currently know about AR. And most builds are very specific to their use and nothing really matches what I am planning to use it for. So I will ask and hopefully get some help from you guys.

We currently have 2 AR's in the household. My spouse uses both of them for work purposes (LEO, yes Im trying to be as vague as possible). I've shot them both, but they arent my tools for work, so i leave them alone for the most part. I'm usually the lucky ******* that gets to clean them when they are dirty. but i digress...

I want a 300 blk for shooting small-medium game at distances 25-100 yrds. And normal plinking. I wont be shooting much, I estimate (being realistic) <300 rounds per year on a good year. Requirements/questions are as follows:

1. I eventually want a suppressor. So it sounds like 8" SBR is the way to go.

2. Where do I start with the SBR stamp? How long does that take?

3. Where do I start with whatever is required for the suppressor? How long does that take? How hard is it to develop a trust so both of us can shoot?

4. Tell me what I want: Outfit me a 300blk on a budget given the limited shooting. What upper/lower/etc with optics/red dot and maybe iron sights mounted at angle. Can you build a decent reliable SBR for <$750? I would prefer some kind of camo coating, but black is fine and I can DIY a coating later.

5. Can I do it all at once with SBR and can? I was looking at buying at the beginning of the year, but it sounds like it may take some time to get the paperwork in order for everything I want.
Naveronski
AG
Sounds like TheEyeGuy's builds would be perfect for you. .300blk "pistol" you convert into a SBR once your stamps come in.

He can make the gun in a relatively short amount of time. Expect 6 months or longer for the stamps. Yay government.

He's on his honeymoon right now, but email him.
moore42
AG
Naveronski said:

Sounds like TheEyeGuy's builds would be perfect for you. .300blk "pistol" you convert into a SBR once your stamps come in.

He can make the gun in a relatively short amount of time. Expect 6 months or longer for the stamps. Yay government.

Sounds good. Need to get with him when he gets back.

So where do I start the process for the SBR application? I can do that now before im ready to buy.
Mr. Dubi
You need the serial number for the lower to start the ATF paperwork. I'd actually prefer to have the actual lower in my possession and test it before applying for the stamp, as occasionally you'll run into one that either is out of spec, or not all your parts work with.

You can get started on a trust before you get your lower/pistol/rifle though. There is a guy on OB who does them, Eye guy has somebody, or Chris Bass and Sean Cody also specialize in gun trusts. There are also many other options out there. We went with Bass, he knocked it out quickly and has been accessible after the trust via email for questions we had later down the road.
BenderRodriguez
AG
bkag9824 said:

Faxon barrels

I'm using the 14.5" pencil, but they have lots of good options.

I'm also using the V2 M lok rail from ALG. Short picatinny section at the end of the handguard for front sight or a light.

They also make a heavier handguard with a full picatinny rail on top, and a smooth rail.

Naveronski
AG
Two Stamp Tuesday

10.3" barrel that folds down into a tiny little thing.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Very very nice.
dubi
AG
Awesome toy!
230Ag
AG
Nealthedestroyer said:

230Ag said:

The magpul wrench should serve you well. Ive used an old powdercoated DPMS wrench for years and never had a problem.
thanks for the feedback. I ordered it and it came in last week. Looks like really good quality. Looking forward to putting together the AR I have.
230Ag
AG
moore42 said:

Naveronski said:

Sounds good. Need to get with him when he gets back.

So where do I start the process for the SBR application? I can do that now before im ready to buy.
I definitely recommend Erik Reynolds for getting your trust set up. I emailed a few other "gun trust" lawyers that have been mentioned on these boards and 1-2 of them wouldn't even return my phone call or email. Erik was super responsive and got my trust done in 1-2 days.
AgEngineer72
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

bkag9824 said:

Faxon barrels

I'm using the 14.5" pencil, but they have lots of good options.

I'm also using the V2 M lok rail from ALG. Short picatinny section at the end of the handguard for front sight or a light.

They also make a heavier handguard with a full picatinny rail on top, and a smooth rail.

Bender- what is the advantage of the ALG over the Faxon handguards? Faxon guards looked pretty good from the online literature and were slightly lighter (I think).
BenderRodriguez
AG
AgEngineer72 said:

Bender- what is the advantage of the ALG over the Faxon handguards? Faxon guards looked pretty good from the online literature and were slightly lighter (I think).

I must be missing it, because when I pulled up both rails to check it out, the ALG is listed as lighter. The 13" (picked because that's the one I bought) for both:

ALG Mlok V2 13" rail listed weight: 9.3 ounces
Faxon 13" rail: .72 lbs, which is 11.52 ounces.

And, it is important to note (from ALG's site: When comparing an ALG total rail weight to a rail that uses a stock barrel nut, make sure to add the weight of the stock barrel nut to the total weight of the non-ALG rail you are comparing for an accurate comparison.)

So that 9.3 for the ALG is the rail and the barrel nut.

The faxon rail lists the barrel nut weight separately underneath as "mounting hardware" at another 3.04 ounces....so the same size Faxon rail is actually 5.26 ounces heavier than the ALG option.

Alright, I typed all that up then realized I may be an idiot. If you were comparing the two you might be looking at the V3 version with the full picatinny rail on top instead of the V2 I bought and pulled up to check out. My mistake.

That one does have a listed weight of 13.04 ounces compared to the 11.52 of the Faxon. But like mentioned above, you have to add another 3 ounces to the Faxon rail to get the actual weight with the barrel nut, which is already included in the weight of the EMR rail....so the V3 is also lighter than the Faxon, but not by as much as the V2 is.

I'd personally skip the full rail and go with the lighter V2, but the V3 is also lighter than the Faxon.

Naveronski
AG
I used Erik as well. He did a great job.
AgEngineer72
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

AgEngineer72 said:

I must be missing it, because when I pulled up both rails to check it out, the ALG is listed as lighter. The 13" (picked because that's the one I bought) for both:

ALG Mlok V2 13" rail listed weight: 9.3 ounces
Faxon 13" rail: .72 lbs, which is 11.52 ounces.

And, it is important to note (from ALG's site: When comparing an ALG total rail weight to a rail that uses a stock barrel nut, make sure to add the weight of the stock barrel nut to the total weight of the non-ALG rail you are comparing for an accurate comparison.)

So that 9.3 for the ALG is the rail and the barrel nut.

The faxon rail lists the barrel nut weight separately underneath as "mounting hardware" at another 3.04 ounces....so the same size Faxon rail is actually 5.26 ounces heavier than the ALG option.

Alright, I typed all that up then realized I may be an idiot. If you were comparing the two you might be looking at the V3 version with the full picatinny rail on top instead of the V2 I bought and pulled up to check out. My mistake.

That one does have a listed weight of 13.04 ounces compared to the 11.52 of the Faxon. But like mentioned above, you have to add another 3 ounces to the Faxon rail to get the actual weight with the barrel nut, which is already included in the weight of the EMR rail....so the V3 is also lighter than the Faxon, but not by as much as the V2 is.

I'd personally skip the full rail and go with the lighter V2, but the V3 is also lighter than the Faxon.

Ok, got it. Yes I was comparing the V3 with the full rail. Missed the point about partial rail.
Mr. Dubi
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ALG is a little deceiving in their advertising, As I recall the weights they list are a little on the light side. Yes they are lighter than most other rail systems, but as I recall the listed weight was not including the ALG barrel nut (at least not on the V-1 MLok I put on Dubi's) .

So ALG is a very lightweight rail at a great pricepoint, but it also includes a QD sling socket or two.

I would use their stuff again for sure.

Also free shipping if you order from ALG directly, sometimes they run a 20%off sale too.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ALG is a little deceiving in their advertising, As I recall the weights they list are a little on the light side. Yes they are lighter than most other rail systems, but as I recall the listed weight was not including the ALG barrel nut (at least not on the V-1 MLok I put on Dubi's) .

The advertising claims that the listed weight includes the barrel nut. I'll weigh mine tomorrow.

moore42
AG
Naveronski said:

Two Stamp Tuesday

10.3" barrel that folds down into a tiny little thing.

Specs? That's badass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.