***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,308 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
expresswrittenconsent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MooreTrucker said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

why JG wasn't canned in the last few weeks

He wasn't canned because the team was in first place. Nothing more, nothing less.
He wasn't canned because he's in the last year of his contract and dumping him early, and at this point in the season, doesn't do much good other than to appease the haters.

As bonfarr said

Funny coming from the guy who just a week ago was asking "how do buyouts work, maybe they save money by keeping a lame duck coach until the final game"
Baby Billy
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I have no doubt that the team won today because Garrett knows he's done and said "what the hell let's open things up". Which is what they shoulda been doing all along, but he's too much of a *****. When they're willing to play on the edge they're a better team. I'd bet any amount that every time they've looked like **** it's because Garrett has reigned them in.

But did we really open things up? I saw us getting back to what we're good at which is running the ball a ton.
diehard03
Quote:

He wasn't canned because he's in the last year of his contract and dumping him early, and at this point in the season, doesn't do much good other than to appease the haters.

Don't be silly. If there's a competent division winner in the NFCE that wasn't the Cowboys, he'd have been gone.
MooreTrucker
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Don't be silly. If there's a competent division winner in the NFCE that wasn't the Cowboys, he'd have been gone.
Key word. And why not. If the Eagles were better, why would that give JJ more incentive to fire him already. Replace him with......?
jr15aggie
AG
Lots of Monday talk about "maybe the Cowboys were just worn out". Truth be told, I had forgotten about how ridiculous the league made their schedule:

Their past 6 games:
Monday Night @ NY
Sunday Night vs Vikings
Regular game @ Lions
Prime Time 3:30 slot @ NE
Thursday vs Buffalo
Thursday @ Chicago

And finally we got a 10 day break to get ready for LA.

Come the freak on. The real kick in the shorts was after already pulling Sunday/Monday night duty in 2 of the past 3 weeks, they made us go to the east coast @ NE in the later prime time slot when they knew we had to get back home to play the bills 4 days later. And then, after running that gauntlet, they decided we should just go ahead and play another Thursday night game the following week @ Chicago.

Excuses excuses, I know, but that schedule was BS and it's not completely surprising that we couldn't tackle or play worth a crap.
diehard03
Quote:

Excuses excuses, I know, but that schedule was BS and it's not completely surprising that we couldn't tackle or play worth a crap.

I'm sure everyone else is tired of seeing a 7-7 team in island games as well
Southlake
There is no doubt that the Cowboys will beat the sorry Eagles next week and save a Garrett's job regardless of post season play.

I can hear Jerry now, "We won the division and went to the playoffs. I hardly see a reason to start over after this"

Count on it.
jr15aggie
AG
Random question: Has Randy Gregory just silently rode off into the sunset?

Haven't heard a thing about him in a long time. Is he even trying to get back into the league?
Ag12thman
AG
Southlake said:

There is no doubt that the Cowboys will beat the sorry Eagles next week and save a Garrett's job regardless of post season play.

I can hear Jerry now, "We won the division and went to the playoffs. I hardly see a reason to start over after this"

Count on it.
Yep - others above feel like there is no way he returns without getting the Super Bowl, but I have seen Jones make stupid decision after stupid decision and I bet he makes yet another one with a playoff appearance, especially if they find a way to win that first game. I just don't see them getting farther than that with as bad as they have been on the road this year, though.
jtstanley4621
AG
To me it's pretty simple: Jerry will die before he wins another Super Bowl if he signs Jason Garrett long term.
MooreTrucker
AG
Southlake said:

Count on it.
Not happening. They did both of those last year and no extension. The bar is set higher this year. And 25 years is a long damn time. Like I said earlier, Jerry's window is shrinking.

All y'all that say "Jerry does stupid stuff and gonna do it again" are just wishful hater thinking and you'll be wrong.

Count on it.
Ag12thman
AG
Just came across this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-reached-out-to-sean-payton-ahead-of-2019-season-were-ready-to-move-on-from-jason-garrett/amp/

They had the right idea, but should have moved on to someone else even after trying for Payton. I also don't blame Payton. Brees is incredible and Payton has that team right where he wants them. No way would I jump ship with Brees at the steering wheel.
gigem1223
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/16/troy-aikman-breaks-news-dak-prescott-has-hairline-fracture-on-index-finger/

This would explain why Dak looked a little off on his throws Sunday. Hopefully it heals quick.
Macarthur
I'm sure a call will be made again. Brees cant play forever. Dallas has a strong roster that Payton could put over the top quickly.
Ag12thman
AG
Agree on Payton, but he's gonna come very expensive after that Saints extension. Not sure how that plays into the salary cap or if it does.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He's signed thru 2025. I'm guessing they'd be talking upwards of 2-3 first round picks plus some to get him. Back 16-17 years ago, Gruden cost two #1's, two #2's, and $8 million.
BMX Bandit
and Gruden had 1 year left on his deal with Raiders when he was traded.
jr15aggie
AG
So Dak got snubbed from the Pro Bowl. My guess is he's the first alternate and will eventually be in.

Hard to argue against Rogers, Brees, & Wilson though. Big names having good years on teams leading their divisions.
Saint Pablo
jr15aggie said:

So Dak got snubbed from the Pro Bowl. My guess is he's the first alternate and will eventually be in.

Hard to argue against Rogers, Brees, & Wilson though. Big names having good years on teams leading their divisions.
Brees missed 5 games...

Dak has a higher completion %, more passing TDs, more passing yards, more rushing yards, and more rushing TDs than Rodgers does.

Dak should have been in.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Saint Pablo said:

jr15aggie said:

Brees missed 5 games...

Dak has a higher completion %, more passing TDs, more passing yards, more rushing yards, and more rushing TDs than Rodgers does.

Dak should have been in.
And Dak has the highest drop % among receivers, meaning his stats are actually more impressive. Dak definitely getting the Romo treatment. Never gonna get respect over 3 HOF SB winning QBs no matter how good you play in that year
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Saint Pablo
ramblin_ag02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

jr15aggie said:

Brees missed 5 games...

Dak should have been in.
And Dak has the highest drop % among receivers, meaning his stats are actually more impressive. Dak definitely getting the Romo treatment. Never gonna get respect over 3 HOF SB winning QBs no matter how good you play in that year
Wonder how much of the selection is based on fan vote
diehard03
Quote:

Dak should have been in.

I don't disagree that he should be in, but these stats will be viewed as empty calories due to the team's record.
Macarthur
DannyDuberstein said:

He's signed thru 2025. I'm guessing they'd be talking upwards of 2-3 first round picks plus some to get him. Back 16-17 years ago, Gruden cost two #1's, two #2's, and $8 million.

Money is irrelevant. JJ would pay whatever if it's just about $

You are right about draft picks. It's gonna hurt, but if you think, as most of us do, that coaching really matters in this razor thin margin league, you do it.
expresswrittenconsent
Oh darn, pro bowl snub.
Saint Pablo
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Dak should have been in.

I don't disagree that he should be in, but these stats will be viewed as empty calories due to the team's record.
Since it is an individual accolade, team success should not trump superior individual performance IMO.
diehard03
Quote:

You are right about draft picks. It's gonna hurt, but if you think, as most of us do, that coaching really matters in this razor thin margin league, you do it.

The reports are smoke screens, imo. (at the very least, putting some rumors out there during a playoff push against a likely opponent) There's no way Jerry is giving up roster control to Payton and sitting there like a chump when he Jimmie Johnson's him again.
diehard03
Quote:

Since it is an individual accolade, team success should not trump superior individual performance IMO.

You're not wrong. If you sort the season by QBR, it very curious thing happens. There's a cluster at the top. It's 5 of the 6 Pro Bowl QBs....plus an injured Stats Padford...and one Dak Prescott. Many spaces farther down...you find the last Pro Bowl QB.

I can see how record caused the Prescott snub. But the Jimmy G snub? I dunno. It's like they made that choice purely on interceptions.
Macarthur
diehard03 said:

Quote:

The reports are smoke screens, imo. (at the very least, putting some rumors out there during a playoff push against a likely opponent) There's no way Jerry is giving up roster control to Payton and sitting there like a chump when he Jimmie Johnson's him again.
I disagree.

JJ wants to win a SB worse than anything before he dies. IF there's one guy outside of the guy in New England that gives you the best chance is Payton.
diehard03
Quote:

I disagree.

JJ wants to win a SB worse than anything before he dies. IF there's one guy outside of the guy in New England that gives you the best chance is Payton.

He's spent an enormous amount of energy telling us how important he is and that he's the decision maker.

I just don't see a path where he plays kingmaker and just sits back.
Macarthur
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I disagree.

He's spent an enormous amount of energy telling us how important he is and that he's the decision maker.

I just don't see a path where he plays kingmaker and just sits back.
But you're assuming Payton wants to come in and run player personnel. NO has a GM.

Payton has a history with the Jones'. He may deep down not want to work for them as their HC, but if JJ could work with Bill Parcells, I think it's silly to think he couldn't work with Payton.
expresswrittenconsent
After last season ended, Payton leveraged dallas interest into a new 5yr deal. If he wanted to be in dallas he would the coach right now.
Macarthur
expresswrittenconsent said:

After last season ended, Payton leveraged dallas interest into a new 5yr deal. If he wanted to be in dallas he would the coach right now.

You may very well be right about that, and Payton may never have any intention of working for the Jones'.

My point was only that I think if JJ believes Payton would give him the best chance to win another SB, he would find a way to work with Payton.
expresswrittenconsent
That's meaningless when qualified.
diehard03
Quote:

But you're assuming Payton wants to come in and run player personnel. NO has a GM.

Payton has a history with the Jones'. He may deep down not want to work for them as their HC, but if JJ could work with Bill Parcells, I think it's silly to think he couldn't work with Payton.

What about Sean Payton leads you to believe that he's going to give up roster control just to coach the Cowboys?

Loomis isn't a GM in the traditional sense.
gigem1223
Anyone worried about Dak's shoulder Sunday?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.