***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,174 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Right now the Cowboys have the upper hand in most contract talks. They've drafted well enough in recent years that most players can't hold the team hostage. They can sign a very nice but team friendly deal or we'll just replace them. May not be as good of a player, but good enough to get the job done well.

The only exceptions are Dak and Cooper. Dak because, well, he's the franchise QB and our only leverage is the franchise tag. Cooper's leverage is we already used a 1st rounder for him and we really can't afford to let that walk away.
Ag Natural
AG
It's really nice to lock up so many quality young players. The next two interesting cases outside of the big 3 are Maliek Collins and Byron Jones. Once again it will come down to what they will settle for. I don't see the Cowboys breaking the bank for either even though they've been really good players.
jr15aggie
AG
bonfarr said:

Zeke is back on a plane to Dallas in case his deal gets done this week.

LOL, I thought he was already back. So does he just like come in for a few days, hopes for the best, and then flies back to Cabo with Marshall Faulk?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Love the Collins signing.

I think that is huge going forward.

Hopefully Jerry said "I'll even include Zeke's game check from this week, and his accrued fines for missing time to your signing bonus".
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, there was a stretch of time when I was thinking they'd have to let Collins walk. But if it's a team friendly deal, you have to make that move for a tackle. Also, I'm afraid they are already going to be looking for one T soon because of Tyron's back. Puts pressure to lock the other T down.
Enviroag02
AG
Zeke contract rumor...6 years and $90 million.
mike_ags_fan12
Whoa.. $15 mil/year. That's way too much

They're better be 3 Super Bowls in that stretch.
Silvertaps
AG
On the surface this sounds insane, but I'm going to assume there are quite a few conditions written into those numbers if they are indeed true.
mike_ags_fan12
Silvertaps said:

On the surface this sounds insane, but I'm going to assume there are quite a few conditions written into those numbers if they are indeed true.

Like don't F ck up in the off-season
investorAg83
AG
Enviroag02 said:

Eff that. Keep sitting out.
gigem1223
investorAg83 said:

Enviroag02 said:

Eff that. Keep sitting out.

Lol you don't even know what the guaranteed money is yet...
Enviroag02
AG
With the Cowboys running him like I expect they will...he won't last 6 years.
Silvertaps
AG
Enviroag02 said:

With the Cowboys running him like I expect they will...he won't last 6 years.
IMO...I think they know this, but this is their way of spreading out the money to leave room for Cooper and Dak
Dddfff
AG
Hopefully not much more than half is guaranteed...
Ag Natural
AG
Enviroag02 said:

Means nothing. There's many contracts where you can put out these numbers to give the player and agent "bragging rights" but the real terms aren't even close. Carsen Wentz' deal is a great example of that.
Bobcat06
AG
Enviroag02 said:

I assume that's under the condition of no suspensions/meetings with Goodell, because there's no way Zeke stays out of trouble
MooreTrucker
AG
Ag Natural said:

Enviroag02 said:

Means nothing. There's many contracts where you can put out these numbers to give the player and agent "bragging rights" but the real terms aren't even close. Carsen Wentz' deal is a great example of that.
It's all a big dick measuring contest anyway. That it's actual dollars doesn't matter, it's what number is in front of all those zeros.
MooreTrucker
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Enviroag02 said:

I assume that's under the condition of no suspensions/meetings with Goodell, because there's no way Zeke stays out of trouble
This X1000!!!

One of the things that's pissed me off about this whole thing is how DAL has stood behind him through all of the crap he's done, all the suspensions, etc. And for him to do this nonsense with still 2 years left on his contract just sux.
bonfarr
AG
Collins signing virtually assures us that Byron Jones will have to walk. I hope the young guys can step up.
MooreTrucker
AG
bonfarr said:

Collins signing virtually assures us that Byron Jones will have to walk. I hope the young guys can step up.
Dono to the rescue!!
Enviroag02
AG
Part of me thinks Zeke should honor his existing contract, and I think that's how would feel if he had actually had a say in that contract, but since he didn't AND the career span for a heavily used RB isn't that long....I can totally see why Zeke is doing what he's doing. The off the field stuff should come into play to devalue him, so I'm assuming there are some qualifiers in this deal.
Ag12thman
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Bobcat06 said:

Enviroag02 said:

This X1000!!!

One of the things that's pissed me off about this whole thing is how DAL has stood behind him through all of the crap he's done, all the suspensions, etc. And for him to do this nonsense with still 2 years left on his contract just sux.
YEP - Agree 100%.
bonfarr
AG
MooreTrucker said:

bonfarr said:

Dono to the rescue!!

Jones has been out best corner the last two years, Wilson can't help us there.
jr15aggie
AG
Don't even look at the contract in terms of total dollars. The team fills contracts with salary cap voodoo and the agents fill it with headline making $ amounts.

At the end of the day... how much signing bonus and how much guaranteed. Those are the big hitters when it comes to how much dead money you are facing if there's a problem early in the contract.
MooreTrucker
AG
Enviroag02 said:

Part of me thinks Zeke should honor his existing contract, and I think that's how would feel if he had actually had a say in that contract, but since he didn't AND the career span for a heavily used RB isn't that long....I can totally see why Zeke is doing what he's doing. The off the field stuff should come into play to devalue him, so I'm assuming there are some qualifiers in this deal.
I get all that, but two years out is not right. Next year is the time for this, IMO.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, 2 years out is garbage. And if I'm Jerry, it just cements in my mind that he'll do the same or worse with this next deal when Zeke starts looking around and wanting to jump back above Gordon or whoever surpasses him next. So any guarantees you give him that lock you into keeping him more than 2-3 years out is purely downside risk for you. If he performs up to the deal, he'll hold out. If he doesn't, then it's wasted guaranteed $.
MooreTrucker
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, 2 years out is garbage. And if I'm Jerry, it just cements in my mind that he'll do the same or worse with this next deal when Zeke starts looking around and wanting to jump back above Gordon or whoever surpasses him next. So any guarantees you give him that lock you into keeping him more than 2-3 years out is purely downside risk for you. If he performs up to the deal, he'll hold out. If he doesn't, then it's wasted guaranteed $.
So in that case, is it time to draft a "next man up" for when that happens? Is that what Pollard is? How irreplaceable is Zeke anyway, esp. 2-3 years down the road?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think Pollard could be that guy, and it looks like we will get the chance to see if he could be. But the game has changed. I'm just of the mind that when you boil it down to championship contender team makeup, a guy like Zeke just isn't necessary. Need capable. But it's not 1995 anymore.
jr15aggie
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I think Pollard could be that guy, and it looks like we will get the chance to see if he could be. But the game has changed. I'm just of the mind that when you boil it down to championship contender team makeup, a guy like Zeke just isn't necessary. Need capable. But it's not 1995 anymore.

I think it's easy to forget how guys like Pollard are talented runners, but only the rare ones are able to maintain it for 16 games + playoffs.

Zeke helps get you the dirty wins in Sept/Oct and keeps bringing the sauce through December/January.

When did Zeke really bust onto the nation scene? In the college playoffs when most players were battered and bruised, Zeke went through them like butter!
jr15aggie
AG
bonfarr
AG
I am listening to a Talking Cowboys podcast from The Athletic and some of their analysts predict Tyron Smith gets cut after this season saving $40 MM in cap money over the last 4 years and that is the only way they could afford to pay all of these guys.

If he continues to have back trouble I can see it but Jerry doesn't release Hall of Famers in their prime if he can avoid it.
HouseDivided06
AG
bonfarr said:

I am listening to a Talking Cowboys podcast from The Athletic and some of their analysts predict Tyron Smith gets cut after this season saving $40 MM in cap money over the last 4 years and that is the only way they could afford to pay all of these guys.

If he continues to have back trouble I can see it but Jerry doesn't release Hall of Famers in their prime if he can avoid it.
That's an intriguing idea, especially in light of extending Collins. Love Tyron and how he has performed and conducted himself off the field, but aging with back issues and a massive contract can be concerning.
jr15aggie
AG
That's extremely interesting considering Tyron is one of the best bargains in football... he took a VERY reasonable long term deal a few years back. He's very much underpaid for his talent level. Who knows I guess.
DannyDuberstein
AG
My issue with Zeke is that we did see some wear down factor last year. He's definitely a grinder that can handle a high workload, but I really question how long that will last. He'll eventually sign so this Pollard as a replacement talk is mostly moot, but I've got about a 3 year window on Zeke.

And yeah, unfortunately Tyron is probably not long for this team. I think I did the math on his deal out here back at the end of 2017 when the back issues had been in full force. Disk issues are such a productivity and career killing inch. So debilitating and never really get right. Today's news was definitely about locking down one side, and I expect them to be looking for the other side soon. We'll see how the 2020 draft pans out at tackle, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Collins move to LT and Martin to RT at some point.
jr15aggie
AG
No doubt, Zeke was worn down last year. That's the main reason why Rod Smith isn't on the team anymore. Hopefully Pollard will be the solution to getting Zeke off the field more. I know last year I wasn't happy anytime Zeke took a series off. As of right now, I'm excited to see what Pollard can do when his number is called... keep Zeke fresh for the 4th quarter!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.