***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,154 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
Wisconsin_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mike McCarthy is literally sitting on his phone waiting for Jerruh's call
Macarthur
lespaul said:

just looked at the stats closely. VERY weird game

how do the cowboys have 24 first downs, and NONE from running. never seen that before that I can recall

Also, how do you limit the other QB to 220 yards and their RB to under 4 YPC and lose?

Cowboys had 443 yards to 364 for Minn and yet TOP was 33 to 26 Minn.

I suppose when you have 50 yards rushing, crazy stuff happens and you often lose.

FINAL POINT: I think hail mary INT's shouldn't count as an INT in the stats. Just my opinion

Seems like the Cowboys are always involved in weird games like these.
Macarthur
Wisconsin_Ag said:

I've got mixed emotions about him. No doubt he's an upgrade over JG, I guess I just worry a bit that Rodgers carries that team so much.

Let's not forget that Packers fans were more than ready for him to go.....
ac04
no interest in mccarthy. the packers were one of the most unimaginative and ineffective offenses in the league during his last couple of seasons. they ran about 10 different plays.
bonfarr
AG
I think Dan Campbell gets a look. He can instill toughness in the team and has also learned under Payton in New Orleans
diehard03
Quote:

FINAL POINT: I think hail mary INT's shouldn't count as an INT in the stats. Just my opinion

You threw the ball, and the other team caught it. That's all that INT's measure. There's too few of those to worry about anyway.

Football will always be a tough "stats that tell me exactly how good a player is" sport. Great players will have great stats, but you will never be able to get to something where X TD/INT ratio or Y completion percentage mean you are a good/great player.
Saint Pablo
diehard03 said:

Quote:

You threw the ball, and the other team caught it. That's all that INT's measure. There's too few of those to worry about anyway.
Tipped balls that end up becoming INTs shouldn't count or at least should have a different designation...like an Error in baseball or something.
diehard03
Quote:

Tipped balls that end up becoming INTs shouldn't count or at least should have a different designation...like an Error in baseball or something.

Why? It's often the QBs fault the ball is tipped. (Or rather, if it's tipped by a DL, who else can you put it on?)

And, if we are going to remove those, do we add INTs to balls that should have been intercepted, but don't...or that a WR strips out of a DBs hands?
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm all about taking drops that turn into interceptions off the QB and onto the receiver and getting rid of Hail Mary INTs while we're at it. INTs become a lot less useful as a judge of a QBs judgment and accuracy with those still being counted. And I'm all for counting dropped INTs, because it still tells you just as much about the judgment and accuracy of the QB.

So in math: Total INT- Hail Mary INT- dropped Pass INT+ dropped INT= Inexcusable throws
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Saint Pablo
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Why? It's often the QBs fault the ball is tipped. (Or rather, if it's tipped by a DL, who else can you put it on?)

And, if we are going to remove those, do we add INTs to balls that should have been intercepted, but don't...or that a WR strips out of a DBs hands?
I meant balls that are tipped by an offensive player first...which is why I compared it to an error, but I wasn't super clear.
diehard03
Quote:

So in math: Total INT- Hail Mary INT- dropped Pass INT+ dropped INT= Inexcusable throws

Congratulations. You've just given really good QBs that we already knew were good less INTs...and really bad QBs who we already knew were bad more INTs...and everyone else probably offsets within a few INTs.

i think you're injecting too much subjectivity into it as well. Some "dropped pass INT"s carry some level of responsibility by the QB. The fact that a WR juggled it shouldn't absolve that. Same with trying to decide whether someone should or should not have caught an INT.
Macarthur
One of the really frustrating things about the NFL....SF gets two very iffy holding/PI calls to extend that first drive

Meanwhile, Witten gets dragged down in the end zone and no call.

The margin for error on these games is so small that these crews have not only a big impact on each game, it affects the entire league
PatAg
AG
Saint Pablo said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

I meant balls that are tipped by an offensive player first...which is why I compared it to an error, but I wasn't super clear.
what if its tipped because the throw is horrible
PatAg
AG
Macarthur said:

One of the really frustrating things about the NFL....SF gets two very iffy holding/PI calls to extend that first drive

Meanwhile, Witten gets dragged down in the end zone and no call.

The margin for error on these games is so small that these crews have not only a big impact on each game, it affects the entire league
That no call in the endzone was ridiculous. You watch the defender basically just throw himself into Wittens path and bring him down. Witten doesnt just run into him
Saint Pablo
PatAg said:

Saint Pablo said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

what if its tipped because the throw is horrible
Make it a judgement call like errors because there is definitely a difference.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep. I mentioned in the game thread how they missed 3 calls badly in about 5 plays at a critical point of the game. Missed a PI by Minn, makeup call with a phantom def holding on the next play, then that Witten play seemed like a makeup back the other way (same defender, hesitant to flag him again after you just kind of screwed him on the phantom hold). All netted together, Dallas took it in the shorts even though one call went against Minn. Getting all 3 correct would have been much more beneficial.
Seven Costanza
AG
Philly's schedule looks like they'll have a strong chance of finishing at 10-6. I'm not seeing Dallas being able to finish 5-2, although @NE is really the only one that screams Loss.
Southlake
How about fumbles? Some are non contact fumbles, some are jarred loose by a hard tackle and some are stripped away by a defender.

Yet, in the books, they are all just fumbles.

Oh, and Epstein didn't kill himself.
expresswrittenconsent
The definition of an INT isnt changing to reflect hail Mary's or tipped passes. But if you number nerds see a gap in the stats, make up a new stat that takes tips, bobbles, etc into account. That is how many of the current 'advanced stats' came to be. Might even luck into a front office job.
ElephantRider
AG
Wisconsin_Ag said:

Please no.

I'd take Dan Campbell though.
jr15aggie
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Philly's schedule looks like they'll have a strong chance of finishing at 10-6. I'm not seeing Dallas being able to finish 5-2, although @NE is really the only one that screams Loss.

Before the Philly game I assumed we'd lose and the season would effectively be over. After the win I knew the next Philly game would also be a must win... we need the tie breaker.

diehard03
Big implications last night. Cowboys need to run down the Saints to avoid SF or SEA in the first round.
Southlake
Nah, Detroit just lost their QB and the Rams have fallen apart. The Eagles just aren't that good.

Lotsa football to be played.

But, we still have to contend with Jerry-Garrett-Moore.
Proposition Joe
Eagles aren't that good but the back half of their schedule sets up pretty easily. They could drop the next 2 games vs NEP and SEA and still likely be 9-6 outside of the Cowboys re-match, and if the two teams end up tied in the division it will likely be Philly that has the tiebreaker.

If Philly wins this Sunday they are going to win the division. If they lose, it will come down to whoever wins the 12/22 rematch.
Ag12thman
AG
Cowboys will win the East, but it's so, so, so bad that I'm not sure it really means much this year.
Grapesoda2525
Ag12thman said:

Cowboys will win the East, but it's so, so, so bad that I'm not sure it really means much this year.
Cowboys must :

Beat Detroit hopefully without stafford

Beat Buffalo

Eagles must :

Lose to New England

Lose to Seattle or drop an "easy game" in nfc east

The cowboys will need some help or they will need the eagles to screw up some. Losing to the jets and Vikings hurt because the schedule now favors the eagles. We have a very slim tie breaker right now. It could all come down to the game up in philly,
Southlake
Eagles can't beat NE or SEA.

Cowboys own the tiebreaker with PHI.

DAL vs PHI will decide the division champ.
Ag12thman
AG
It's gonna be a bit closer call now after the two bad losses, but I just think the Eagles are not very good. Feel like things will shake out with a comfortable NFC East win for Dallas.
Ag Natural
AG
Cowboys can beat Seattle. Unfortunately they've proven capable of losing to anyone.
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
Proposition Joe
We only own the tiebreaker right now because we haven't played @ Philly.

If we lose @ Philly, they will have the tiebreaker (unless one of us ****s the bed against NYG/WAS).
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

If we lose @ Philly, they will have the tiebreaker (unless one of us ****s the bed against NYG/WAS).
The eagles have much more nfc east left then we do and they probably will have to be perfect against the giants and beat the skids again.

If the redskins game at the end of the year means anything at all, we're not losing it. That team is too bad and even Garrett isn't that pathetic.
jtstanley4621
AG
Ag12thman said:

Fun fact: as of this past full week of NFL action, the NFC East as a division has the LEAST amount of wins as a conference in the entire league. Here's the breakdown:

AFC:
  • North: 15 combined wins
  • South: 20 combined wins
  • East: 18 combined wins
  • West: 14 combined wins

• NFC:
  • North: 22 combined wins
  • South 17 combined wins
  • East: 13 combined wins
  • West: 24 combined wins

• We're most likely going to win the worst conference in the league. Our current record would not be good for first place in ANY division in the ENTIRE league besides the NFC East.
    BenFiasco14
    AG
    Grapesoda2525 said:

Proposition Joe said:

The eagles have much more nfc east left then we do and they probably will have to be perfect against the giants and beat the skids again.

If the redskins game at the end of the year means anything at all, we're not losing it. That team is too bad and even Garrett isn't that pathetic.

Kiss of death
    CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
    ramblin_ag02
    AG
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-good-the-bad-and-the-weird-of-nfl-week-10/

Quote:

Salfino: Bigger disappointment: the Rams or the Cowboys?
    sara.ziegler: Well, the Rams are down to just 25 percent to make the playoffs, and the Cowboys still have a 50 percent shot.
    Salfino: Dak Prescott looked so unstoppable that I'm shocked the Cowboys lost. Jerry Jones has put up with a lot, but this might be a new standard. Dallas is just 5-4 with all this talent on both sides of the ball: They lead the NFL in yards per play and overall offense, they're seventh in overall defense and they're third in net yards per pass play gained minus those allowed (the two teams above them in that measure have combined for one loss). Has any coach ever won less with more than Jason Garrett this year?
    Would you fire Garrett?
    joshua.hermsmeyer: No, I don't think you can. But I would certainly tell him to not meddle in offensive play calling.
    Salfino: Cowboys are plus-81 in points. Yet 5-4. Do we give the coaching credit for all the stats or crush it for the meh record?
    sara.ziegler: I think that as long as they make the playoffs, it won't matter.
    Salfino: Getting to Josh's point, Dallas should abandon the run more because Ezekiel Elliott seems to have lost a little, and Dak and the passing game has passed him by. This should be Dak's team now.
    neil: For the record, Dak continues to have an amazing season. He ranks third in our Elo QB metric, behind only Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson.
    Interesting stats from the 538 chat. Amazing to think the Cowboys are statistically great and situationally awful
    No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
    Macarthur
    ramblin_ag02 said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-good-the-bad-and-the-weird-of-nfl-week-10/

Quote:

Salfino: Bigger disappointment: the Rams or the Cowboys?
    sara.ziegler: Well, the Rams are down to just 25 percent to make the playoffs, and the Cowboys still have a 50 percent shot.
    Salfino: Dak Prescott looked so unstoppable that I'm shocked the Cowboys lost. Jerry Jones has put up with a lot, but this might be a new standard. Dallas is just 5-4 with all this talent on both sides of the ball: They lead the NFL in yards per play and overall offense, they're seventh in overall defense and they're third in net yards per pass play gained minus those allowed (the two teams above them in that measure have combined for one loss). Has any coach ever won less with more than Jason Garrett this year?
    Would you fire Garrett?
    joshua.hermsmeyer: No, I don't think you can. But I would certainly tell him to not meddle in offensive play calling.
    Salfino: Cowboys are plus-81 in points. Yet 5-4. Do we give the coaching credit for all the stats or crush it for the meh record?
    sara.ziegler: I think that as long as they make the playoffs, it won't matter.
    Salfino: Getting to Josh's point, Dallas should abandon the run more because Ezekiel Elliott seems to have lost a little, and Dak and the passing game has passed him by. This should be Dak's team now.
    neil: For the record, Dak continues to have an amazing season. He ranks third in our Elo QB metric, behind only Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson.
    Interesting stats from the 538 chat. Amazing to think the Cowboys are statistically great and situationally awful
    wow

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.