***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,171 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Remember the Sumlin extension because we were all freaking out and afraid of what would happen if we didn't pay him top dollar? I member.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
One thing is that these new deals, and Cooper and Dak to follow I'm guessing means this team will very very likely NOT ever make a splash signing in free agency. So if they find themselves legit one player away from going to the next level, I'm not sure they can find the money to do it and they will instead have to maybe try and trade up into the high first round to grab such a difference maker.
Macarthur
ElephantRider said:

With our line, you could get 70% of Zeke's production for a fraction of the price. That's the way to go, in my opinion.

While you may be right, that 30% could make a huge diff with how close teams are in this league. So many games are decided by 3 points or less, that 30% could be the diff in 8-8 or 10-6 and a home playoff game.
Panama Red
AG
FriscoKid said:

Remember the Sumlin extension because we were all freaking out and afraid of what would happen if we didn't pay him top dollar? I member.

We ended up with Jimbo. What's your point?

Panama Red
AG
ZEKE!!

gigem1223
FriscoKid said:

Terrible analogy is terrible
DannyDuberstein
AG
He ate Zeke
gigem1223
Panama Red said:

ZEKE!!

I was there when this happened. Looney is a funny dude.
Macarthur
That's a funny gag
FriscoKid
AG
gigem1223 said:

FriscoKid said:

Terrible analogy is terrible

Is it? They both still had years on their contract and some real panic buying took place.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

One thing is that these new deals, and Cooper and Dak to follow I'm guessing means this team will very very likely NOT ever make a splash signing in free agency. So if they find themselves legit one player away from going to the next level, I'm not sure they can find the money to do it and they will instead have to maybe try and trade up into the high first round to grab such a difference maker.
True, but I'm fine with a team investing in itself when it's proven to be good at finding talent in the draft. Also, with teams' ability to franchise guys, how often is a guy without some kind of baggage really hitting the market anyway? It takes high picks and big money to get acquire that kind of impact player, and you can't make your living giving those away. They made their move with Cooper, so that's going to have to cut it.
FriscoKid
AG
I don't even care that much about the NFL, but Zeke was still under contract. He demanded a new one and the Cowboys paid him of course.

Panic buying.
double aught
AG
People keep saying let him walk, but what do they mean by this? Do they think he would've sat out for two years?
gigem1223
Back to the season. Anyone else not buying all the Eagle love? Dallas swept them last season, has won the east 3 of the last 5 years and improved over the offseason yet Philly seems to be the sexy pick for the east and conference. All with a QB who can't stay healthy with an unproven backfield. I think they'll be be good, just think they're being vastly overrated.

ramblin_ag02
AG
I will be much happier watching the Cowboys this year and next with Zeke on the field. That said, this was a terrible move by the Cowboys. Now every agent knows that if you put pressure they will fold years early on contracts. We'll have a nice short term boom, and then we're going to bottom out for a long, long time. We'll never be ahead of the cap when we can't even keep our rookie deals cheap. Hope we win a SB in the next 2-3 years, otherwise this will be one of the worst signings of all time. When the only way to make a contract look good is to win a SB, and people start talking about a new CBA you know it's a bad deal.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ac04
so much overreaction. so relieved that games are about to start so people can overreact those instead.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Cowboys and Saints in NFC title game imo
jr15aggie
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Cowboys and Saints in NFC title game imo
Very real possibility. On paper the Cowboys are legit contenders. They should have a top 5 defense and if Dak can drive the bus well, our offense should be pretty salty too.

I'm really hoping we kick the dog crap out of NY this weekend... we should. Not that the entire season is defined by one game... we know better than that... but it would be nice to see our talent play up to their potential to start the season right!
jr15aggie
AG
Question, who's out now? I'm guessing Chunn goes back to the practice squad. Probably roll with Zeke, Pollard, & Morris most of this year and Chunn gets his chance next year. But I'm just not sure about Alfred and his lack of special teams. Pretty sure Chunn was doing good things on kick coverage, etc... and he's a pretty good RB too. Have y'all heard anything?
ac04
morris couldn't beat out raheem mostert and jeff wilson in san francisco. i don't really understand his role on this team other than some weird zeke holdout insurance.
BassCowboy33
If anyone was just listening to Norm Hitzges on The Ticket, he just math'd out how Dallas can get Zeke all his guaranteed money by age 29, effectively allowing them to cut him after that season without taking a cap hit. It actually sounds quite ingenious and gives both sides what they want.

Basically, this is likely an eight-year deal that's not really an eight-year deal, with a silent opt-out for the team in five years.
bonfarr
AG
jr15aggie said:

Question, who's out now? I'm guessing Chunn goes back to the practice squad. Probably roll with Zeke, Pollard, & Morris most of this year and Chunn gets his chance next year. But I'm just not sure about Alfred and his lack of special teams. Pretty sure Chunn was doing good things on kick coverage, etc... and he's a pretty good RB too. Have y'all heard anything?

With Zeke in the fold what value does Morris provide? He doesn't play special teams. I would rather roll with younger legs in Pollard and Chunn. Morris only costs $1 MM but need to start pinching pennies to pay Zeke's deal.
ElephantRider
AG
There's literally no reason to keep Morris now that Zeke is back.
Guitarsoup
AG
Kellso
Grapesoda2525 said:

Kellso said:

jr15aggie said:

DannyDuberstein said:

The longer this drags out, the more I'm ready to just be done with him. Roll with Pollard, trade Zeke at the end of the year, and move on. Some valuable $$$ that could be spent in places that help with SB's.

That's one of the only reasons why I'm not overly concerned if this whole charade is the end of Zeke in Dallas. We have lots of guys that we'd like to keep if we aren't investing in Zeke long term.

Who's to say we shouldn't give that money to Collins? Good OTs don't grow on trees and our 2 best lineman currently have nagging back issues. I think part of any teams plan is to consistently have a good O-line.

Point is I agree, there are other spots on this team, right now, where we could use that money.

My problem with contract disputes is that some of you act like its YOUR money that the player is demanding.
The NFL is the most lucrative sports league in the World and the Dallas Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the World.

The cowboys have offered zeke a top 3 running back contract in a predominantly passing era of the NFL. That offer is more than fair.

Zeke is most likely taking bad advice from his agent. Zeke wants to be the highest paid running back ever, he wants the best signing bonus, he wants the most guaranteed money. He is showing little regard for the team and his teammates by doing this, especially in a year where we're trying to compete for the championship.

I don't fault the guy for wanting to get paid, but if Jerry gives in to Zeke there won't be anything left to sign important guys at other positions like cornerback, safety, and defensive line. The NFL is a hard cap League now. You have to be very wise with how you utilize your available funds and resources.
Im glad Zeke or Jerry didn't listen to any of you guys.

Remind me to never ask you guys to represent me in any sort of contract dispute.
Kellso
Grapesoda2525 said:

. . . said:

Hopefully zeke isn't listening to his dumb azz agent anymore.
Yes. Zeke should take pointers from you (and not his agent) in assessing his value to the team.
jr15aggie
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

If anyone was just listening to Norm Hitzges on The Ticket, he just math'd out how Dallas can get Zeke all his guaranteed money by age 29, effectively allowing them to cut him after that season without taking a cap hit. It actually sounds quite ingenious and gives both sides what they want.

Basically, this is likely an eight-year deal that's not really an eight-year deal, with a silent opt-out for the team in five years.

Of course. Can't remember what I posted and what I didn't, but Zeke is 24... they aren't paying him mega millions until he is 32. C'mon. Nobodies perfect, but give them some credit.

The contract does a few things:
  • Big numbers and nice bragging rights, but most of it is fluff for headlines.
  • Solid guaranteed money, best ever, this is the meat of the deal.
  • Cowboys are not on the hook for 8 years... starting right now it's more like a 4 or 5 year deal.
  • Lastly, we have our stud RB who absolutely has lived up to his top 5 pick. Was a great pick and now we've locked him up for his career.
Ag Natural
AG
So many duped again by headlines. This is a reasonable deal for a bonafide super star in this league. Zeke wanted the highest guarantee ever and he got it. The Boys wanted to make it palatable to the cap and they did that. This in only disaster if he gets injured seriously in the next 3-4 years. But you can say that about any big deal.
Baby Billy
AG
Kellso
ramblin_ag02 said:

I will be much happier watching the Cowboys this year and next with Zeke on the field. That said, this was a terrible move by the Cowboys. Now every agent knows that if you put pressure they will fold years early on contracts. We'll have a nice short term boom, and then we're going to bottom out for a long, long time. We'll never be ahead of the cap when we can't even keep our rookie deals cheap. Hope we win a SB in the next 2-3 years, otherwise this will be one of the worst signings of all time. When the only way to make a contract look good is to win a SB, and people start talking about a new CBA you know it's a bad deal.
Im sorry man....but this is ridiculous. This goes back to the point I made last week about some fans acting like its their money that Zeke is negotiating for.

Zeke getting short changed by the Cowboys is not going to lower your ticket prices, make the beer any cheaper, or lower your cable bill.

It was always obvious the Cowboys had the money to pay Zeke, and now they have.

I've seen so many short term thinking posts about this contract dispute on this thread that its made my head spin.

The majority of you guys were Pro-billionaire, and f***Zeke, and lets screw our best player....and then in the next breath want to talk about the Super Bowl.

Couple of points:
A. The Salary Cap increases every year. What is high today will typically not be that high in 3-4 years.

B. Zeke has been an elite performer every year he's been in the league. This is not someone with one good year(Byron Jones) asking for elite money. This is someone that has proven he deserves top dollar. Zeke is also the bell-cow of the football team.

C. The running back position is devalued...but NOT for the Dallas Cowboys. There are not that many players that can carry the ball 300-400x/year without getting injured or dropping off. There are even fewer players that can carry the ball that many times and still play at elite level.

I love what the Cowboys have done over the past 4-5 years...and that is attempting to replicate the 1990's Cowboys with a dominant offensive line and strong running game.
The only thing they are really missing is a Championship Caliber defense that gets a ton of turnovers.

D. IMO the 1993 Dallas Cowboys are the greatest NFL team of all time. As awesome as they were, this team had to win in overtime at the Giants in the last game of the season to get Home Field advantage.

This was because they started the season 0-2 because of the Emmit Smith holdout (1993 Cowboys were the 1st team in NFL history to ever win the Super Bowl after starting the season 0-2)
This team does not have the talent of the 1993 Cowboys to dig out of that hole. Jerry Jones was not going to make that mistake once again.

This is a deal where both sides won. Which is want you want in a negotiation.
The Cowboys lock up a Hall of Fame level talent for the majority of his prime....and they spread the money out to lessen the cap hit.

Zeke gets paid as the #1 tailback in the NFL.
When you look at his total yards, rushing attempts and yards/game since he came in the league its beyond obvious that Zeke deserved that mantle of being highest paid at his position.
STX Ag
AG
gigem1223 said:

Back to the season. Anyone else not buying all the Eagle love? Dallas swept them last season, has won the east 3 of the last 5 years and improved over the offseason yet Philly seems to be the sexy pick for the east and conference. All with a QB who can't stay healthy with an unproven backfield. I think they'll be be good, just think they're being vastly overrated.

I'm with you, for all those exact reasons. Can not figure out the eagles love.
mavsfan4ever
AG
You keep mentioning people not wanting to spend Jerry's money and being pro-billionaire. No one cares about Jerry spending or not spending money. This isn't ****ing baseball. There is a salary cap, and Jerry will always spend 100% of the cap. So whether he paid Zeke or not, Jerry is going to be paying the same amount of money either way. It's not saving him money if he doesn't pay Zeke and it's not costing him money if he pays Zeke. That is one thing in this whole contract dispute that Jerry said that was actually 100% correct.

So the only reason people were concerned with "Jerry spending his money on Zeke" was the effect it could have on the Cowboys' cap situation and how paying a running back huge money could negatively affect the team overall, due to them not being able to sign other key (and perhaps more important) players at other positions.

I disagree with the strategy of paying big money to running backs and think the money is better spent elsewhere. Having said that, if the money is front loaded as I expect it is, this isn't as bad of a contract as some are making it out to be. And I somewhat understand paying big money to a running back in this instance where we are set up nicely to make a run for it for the next 1-3 years.
jr15aggie
AG
My weird brain is reminded of the scene in Braveheart. William Wallace wants to go back to try and unite the clans but his friends all disagree and say it's a trap and it's pointless. Wallace responds with "We have to try, you know what happens if we don't? Nothing."

The Cowboys are trying. Might work, might not. But they are really close and you can't fault them for making a go of it!
Kellso
mavsfan4ever said:

You keep mentioning people not wanting to spend Jerry's money and being pro-billionaire. No one cares about Jerry spending or not spending money. This isn't ****ing baseball. There is a salary cap, and Jerry will always spend 100% of the cap. So whether he paid Zeke or not, Jerry is going to be paying the same amount of money either way. It's not saving him money if he doesn't pay Zeke and it's not costing him money if he pays Zeke. That is one thing in this whole contract dispute that Jerry said that was actually 100% correct.

So the only reason people were concerned with "Jerry spending his money on Zeke" was the effect it could have on the Cowboys' cap situation and how paying a running back huge money could negatively affect the team overall, due to them not being able to sign other key (and perhaps more important) players at other positions.

I disagree with the strategy of paying big money to running backs and think the money is better spent elsewhere. Having said that, if the money is front loaded as I expect it is, this isn't as bad of a contract as some are making it out to be. And I somewhat understand paying big money to a running back in this instance where we are set up nicely to make a run for it for the next 1-3 years.
Zeke is the best at his position in the NFL and has been the most dominant player on the Cowboys roster since Day 1.

If you wanna let Zeke go for more "important" positions...then I really have to question if you really want to win the Super Bowl.

As I stated last week....just pay the guy and be done with it.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

It was always obvious the Cowboys had the money to pay Zeke, and now they have.
It's not about 'having the money'.

The Salary cap is a Pie. The entire issue is boils down to the amount of the pie you want to allocate to him. The more you spend on one player, the less you have to spend on the rest.

Jerry's never had an issue spending the money. But the Cowboys haven't been consistently competitive since the cap went into place. The cap has been the #1 thing hurting the Boys the past decade, etc.

Last year we were #3 in the league in dead money. The majority of that was the final amount of Romo and Dez. This year we're <finally> way down the list...because we'd been smart for the past 5-6 years, for the first time in a long time. I really dont want to reverse our recent trend. It hamstrings you forever.

Hopefully, this is heavily front loaded, and hopefully Zeke wont be a knucklehead off the field. This is a bad contract if we get stuck with a lot of dead money at some point. It'll be a good contract if he produces, and we're not hamstrung over a bunch of dead money in the future.

I think the angst comes from it being Zeke (with his 'shaky' history), and it being the RB...a position that's devalued for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with passing offenses (heavily injured, easier to replace than other positions, etc).

Time will tell

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.