***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,150 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
jcbaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With their 1st pick of the 2020 draft Dallas selects that black cat...
MooreTrucker
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Never forget!

https://twitter.com/i/events/1118675150138822656

And Tessatore tried SO hard to make it seem like bad luck for the Cowboys.
jr15aggie
AG
Didn't realize how badly we shut down Barkley... 14 for 28. Wow.

On a side note, Sean Lee is a shell of his former self (athletically speaking). Guy can still play and is a baller, but the drop-off is very noticeable. Not somebody I want back next year. Love the guy, but it's a young man's game and he's not that anymore. They all gotta be let go at some point.
DTP02
AG
Macarthur said:

I like the idea of taking a TE high. I think Jarwin has a bright future and a high pick could create a ton of matchup problems with Zeke, Pollard, Jarwin, Cooper and a new high caliber TE.

Couple more years and the Boys can just draft Witten's son. Then they can play side by side until his son retires in 10-15 years.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Couple more years and the Boys can just draft Witten's son. Then they can play side by side until his son retires in 10-15 years.
Catching passes from Jerry's grandkid. The first QB/GM/Coach/Owner in the NFL
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
DTP02 said:

Macarthur said:

I like the idea of taking a TE high. I think Jarwin has a bright future and a high pick could create a ton of matchup problems with Zeke, Pollard, Jarwin, Cooper and a new high caliber TE.

Love Witten like I do, Jarwin makes plays when he gets snaps. Dude needs more snaps.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Didn't realize how badly we shut down Barkley... 14 for 28. Wow.

On a side note, Sean Lee is a shell of his former self (athletically speaking). Guy can still play and is a baller, but the drop-off is very noticeable. Not somebody I want back next year. Love the guy, but it's a young man's game and he's not that anymore. They all gotta be let go at some point.

I don't know...he looked pretty youthful last night. Now, he can't play 50 snaps a game for 16 games anymore, but he's a hell of a guy to have for 20 or so snaps a game and the spot start here and there.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Thought Lee had a good game.

This team is lacking something that's hard to put a finger on though if they want a title this year.
PooDoo
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

This team is lacking something that's hard to put a finger on though if they want a title this year.

Good coaching?
Carlo4
AG

A heart. Motivation. showing up drunk before the game?

These next four weeks can easily go 0-4 if they don't sober up and have faith.
jr15aggie
AG

He did have a good game, it's what prompted me to write what I did. IMO, he had a good game because the D-line dominated last night and he was where he needed to be to make the play. I just don't see him as the disruptor anymore, he needs somebody else to do that first and he'll clean up the leftovers.

It's not a knock, just an observation. Glad he's on this years team, but I think it needs to be his last.

Ag Natural
AG
Lee looked great last night. I'm guessing it's because he was back at his old position. I think the Will spot puts him too close to the line and he loses his biggest strength which is experience. He can really diagnose a play quickly.
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
jcbaggie04
AG
Sean lee is great. He knows he is in a new role. Unless you want more young lb depth, lee is a second teamer and spells the two young stars for the most part and if he plays like he did the last two games, then the cowboys opponents will have a tough time.
lespaul
AG
Did anyone see the graphic last night with the pathetic company the cowboys are in for not making not to a championship game in forever? Man that is depressing.

I really feel this year is their best shot. With Garrett I know it is still a long shot. But this summer we will increase daks oh by ~25-30 mil. I know the cap will go up but we are gonna have to drop tons of players to pay for this. If we can't win with a pretty good qb on a rookie contract, there is not much hope for when he gets paid. I like dak but i probably wouldn't pay him what he wants.
dave94
AG
lespaul said:

If we can't win with a pretty good qb on a rookie contract, there is not much hope for when he gets paid.
I don't understand this statement. How many teams win with QBs still on their rookie contract?
diehard03
Quote:

Buffalo and Minnesota aren't as good as their records suggest. Detroit is bad and New England has always been beatable.

I think if anything keeps them out of the championship game, it is simply having to go through a WC team and either SFO/NO to get there. I think those teams can each get 3 losses on the year, but I think the Cowboys won't run the table either.
Grapesoda2525
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Buffalo and Minnesota aren't as good as their records suggest. Detroit is bad and New England has always been beatable.

I think if anything keeps them out of the championship game, it is simply having to go through a WC team and either SFO/NO to get there. I think those teams can each get 3 losses on the year, but I think the Cowboys won't run the table either.
Buffalos offense is anemic and Detroit's defense is bad.

I think we should beat both of those teams. It comes down to Minnesota. The Viking game determines a likely record of 3-1 or 2-2 over that stretch.
lespaul
AG
The eagles with Wentz. Rams almost won. Besides the patriots (Brady takes less than market value) The ways to win are

1) rookie qb contract
2) superstar qb being paid superstar money.

The surest way to have no chance is pay a non superstar qb superstar money (many examples of this). Plus, other teams are smart and have good coaches. The cowboys have Garrett (above avg at best) and Jerry (terrible) so their chances are slim no matter what.
lespaul
AG
Also was Russell Wilson on his rookie contract when they won (almost two)?
bonfarr
AG
Adam Thielen won't play Sunday vs the Cowboys.
Ag Natural
AG
lespaul said:

The eagles with Wentz. Rams almost won. Besides the patriots (Brady takes less than market value) The ways to win are

1) rookie qb contract
2) superstar qb being paid superstar money.

The surest way to have no chance is pay a non superstar qb superstar money (many examples of this). Plus, other teams are smart and have good coaches. The cowboys have Garrett (above avg at best) and Jerry (terrible) so their chances are slim no matter what.

The Eagles won with Foles, not Wentz. That being said, there are several cases where a young QB has given a team a salary cap advantage. Some have worked well, the Rams w/Goff, Chiefs w/Mahomes, Seahawks w/Wilson. Some have not Bears w/Trubisky, Jags w/Bortles. The Cowboys never had a chance to do this because they had 2 more years of Romo when Dak hit the scene. So yeah theoretically THIS year is the one and you are seeing that they've spent money in several one year players. It could still happen.

It all comes down to how good will Dak be. I dont think hes done getting better. QBs dont hit their prime until the late 20s. Dak will get paid and eat up space. But I think he will be good enough if they make smart decisions elsewhere.
lespaul
AG
"if they make smart decisions elsewhere"

If anything the last 25 years has taught us is that they won't make smart decisions. Their coach isn't special at all (how come Noone is mad at all the undisciplined personal fouls last night?). Jerry is awful at best. Their only chance is to get really lucky. Finding Dak was really lucky so they need to capitalize before dak gobbles up all the money
MooreTrucker
AG
lespaul said:

If anything the last 25 years has taught us is that they won't make smart decisions. Their coach isn't special at all (how come Noone is mad at all the undisciplined personal fouls last night?). Jerry is awful at best. Their only chance is to get really lucky. Finding Dak was really lucky so they need to capitalize before dak gobbles up all the money
I was more mad that no one did anything to that Giant OL that seemed to antagonize and create those PF's. He was in the middle of all of it but never got flagged.
Grapesoda2525
lespaul said:

If you watched the game, some trailer park Offensive lineman for the giants was actually the catalyst for all of those personal fouls called on us. Very weird because he never received one.
Ag Natural
AG
lespaul said:

Well if the debate is how can you build a good team then I'd disagree. They've made a lot of smart moves and the brain trust led by Will McClay and Stephen Jones have shown that they have a plan.

If the debate is coaching that's different and it has nothing to do with Daks contract. So I'm not sure of your point.

If you're in the crowd who just thinks they'll always fall short because Jerry, Garrett, blah blah then fine. Theres plenty on this board who agree with you.
Macarthur
Ag Natural said:

lespaul said:

Well if the debate is how can you build a good team then I'd disagree. They've made a lot of smart moves and the brain trust led by Will McClay and Stephen Jones have shown that they have a plan.

If the debate is coaching that's different and it has nothing to do with Daks contract. So I'm not sure of your point.

If you're in the crowd who just thinks they'll always fall short because Jerry, Garrett, blah blah then fine. Theres plenty on this board who agree with you.

Agree. I think the folks that simply say 'because Jerry' kinda show themselves to be ignorant of how the Cowboys have been doing business for the last 5 years or so.

Will McClay and Stephen are running this show, not Jerry.

Now, I think we all agree JG will handicap this team when it gets to playoff time, but all we can hope for is that Richard and Kellen Moore are good enough to overcome JG's shortcomings.
lespaul
AG
I believe their last championship game appearance was january 1995. My son wasn't born yet and now he has a college degree. It is a mind boggling amount of time. You could almost pick players with a computer algorithm and luck into a championship game appearance or two. 25 years. Remarkable.

The only constant is Jerry. I am glad he is letting go of some control with some favorable personnel decisions of late. However, Jerry is still there. Keeping an avg coach for so long is yet another symptom of the Jerry problem. The fact that Jerry is in the HOF is mind boggling (I know it is for marketing and $$) because I can think of few folks who are worse at their job in any profession (again, if winning is your goal and not making $$).

The only chance (before Jerry completely removes himself) is to get really lucky with a rookie QB contract. That gives you lots of wiggle room with the cap to feather the nest with good players. Once that wiggle room is gone, the Jerry anchor around the neck factor removes any chance of a super bowl (or even close).

Just my opinion. I am strongly in the 'as long as Jerry is involved, we have no chance and I'd put money on it' camp.
lespaul
AG
"Will McClay and Stephen are running this show, not Jerry."

So it isn't Jerry being loyal to keep JG?
Macarthur
lespaul said:

"Will McClay and Stephen are running this show, not Jerry."

So it isn't Jerry being loyal to keep JG?

Hard to know for sure. My guess is most likely yes, but I also think Stephen is loyal to Jason, also. I do think the fact that he was not given a contract extension tells you that they are losing patience.
Macarthur
And I also think it's really easy to say on a message board that JG needs to be replaced. But there is tons of examples of teams getting worse with coaching changes. Seems like the odds are 50/50 at best.

JG has a winning record and his teams have generally always played hard. So yes, you can fire him for not getting to the NFC Championship game, but you better be 100% you've got an upgrade, or you can set your franchise back several years. You have to acknowledge there is a big risk in that.
BenFiasco14
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

lespaul said:

If you watched the game, some trailer park Offensive lineman for the giants was actually the catalyst for all of those personal fouls called on us. Very weird because he never received one.
It's obvious that he must've put up his trailer as collateral on the check that cleared for the refs
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
jr15aggie
AG
Referencing the 25 years since appearing in a conference championship game... Cowboys have found themselves with some bad luck along the way:

Sometime around 2010 and 2018: Just got outplayed by MN and LA in those games, nothing else to say.

2007: #1 seed but ran into the buzzsaw Giants that ran the table, even beating what should have been the greatest team ever in the Patriots. Had they played any other NFC team they would have been in the NFC Championship. And oh yeah, screw u Patrick Crayton!

2015 (I think): A historically bad call that went on to change how the nfl defines a catch kept us from the NFC championship game.

2017: #1 seed and we got Aaron Rogered and just missed the championship game again by a walk off 50+ yard field goal. All setup by a ridiculous pass and catch... after the previous play should have been a sack fumble. Unreal.

Some straight up bull**** is what it is because you're right, statistically we should have lucked into at least one appearance. But instead, we've had nothing but bad luck, bad plays, and bad calls go against us when we are one play away.
expresswrittenconsent
Common denominator in all of those and really all of the last quarter century of disappointment (save for the parcels retirement fund/jerry needs a new bldg short era) is bad coaching.
Confucius
Quote:

The fact that Jerry is in the HOF is mind boggling (I know it is for marketing and $$) because I can think of few folks who are worse at their job in any profession (again, if winning is your goal and not making $$).

I hate on Jerry as much as anyone, but only Kraft, DeBartolo, and Rooney have more Lombardis as an owner. He deserves to be in Canton despite the malaise of the last two decades.
Macarthur
expresswrittenconsent said:

Common denominator in all of those and really all of the last quarter century of disappointment (save for the parcels retirement fund/jerry needs a new bldg short era) is bad coaching.

Again, I'm all for an upgrade over JG so I don't want to come across as an apologist, but you just can not say he's 'bad at coaching'.

Is he mediocre? Probably. Average? Sure. But you really can't justify calling him BAD.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.