***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,151 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
Confucius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So Cam is likely on his way out in Carolina...if you have to pay top dollar for Dak, why not just go for Cam instead? At least Cam has been to the SB.
Grapesoda2525
jr15aggie said:

Referencing the 25 years since appearing in a conference championship game... Cowboys have found themselves with some bad luck along the way:

Sometime around 2010 and 2018: Just got outplayed by MN and LA in those games, nothing else to say.

2007: #1 seed but ran into the buzzsaw Giants that ran the table, even beating what should have been the greatest team ever in the Patriots. Had they played any other NFC team they would have been in the NFC Championship. And oh yeah, screw u Patrick Crayton!

2015 (I think): A historically bad call that went on to change how the nfl defines a catch kept us from the NFC championship game.

2017: #1 seed and we got Aaron Rogered and just missed the championship game again by a walk off 50+ yard field goal. All setup by a ridiculous pass and catch... after the previous play should have been a sack fumble. Unreal.

Some straight up bull**** is what it is because you're right, statistically we should have lucked into at least one appearance. But instead, we've had nothing but bad luck, bad plays, and bad calls go against us when we are one play away.
Really hate to add on, but I will.

2006 game up in Seattle. Romo messes up on holding the snap for a chip shot field goal and Babineaux made a shoe string tackle that saved a first down or a TD. Would the cowboys have won for sure? Maybe not. Seattle still had time.

I remember the cowboys liked how they matched up with the bears in the next round too, if only we could've got there.
Macarthur
Confucius said:

So Cam is likely on his way out in Carolina...if you have to pay top dollar for Dak, why not just go for Cam instead? At least Cam has been to the SB.
Dak is better than Newton.
STX Ag
AG
Confucius said:

God no.
lespaul
AG
I can't believe people are arguing away 25 years of crap due to bad luck. It is a systematic problem. Jerry is the constant.

I give Jerry props for hiring jimmy. Best thing he ever did. With that said any other owner would've milked at least one more trophy out of that team.

If they had taken Rodgers (who dropped all the way to them at 20) instead of Marcus Spears they might have another trophy. I almost threw my remote at the tv. Best player in the draft available at 20 and you pass. Worst case is romo works out and you trade Rodgers.
expresswrittenconsent
Macarthur said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

Common denominator in all of those and really all of the last quarter century of disappointment (save for the parcels retirement fund/jerry needs a new bldg short era) is bad coaching.

Again, I'm all for an upgrade over JG so I don't want to come across as an apologist, but you just can not say he's 'bad at coaching'.

Is he mediocre? Probably. Average? Sure. But you really can't justify calling him BAD.

Do bad coaches lose to the JETS? Do bad coaches ice their kickers?

It's almost 25 yrs of no final 4, let alone even sniffing a super bowl ring, and the last decade under Red (the majority of which came with a QB made for deep NFL playoff runs). The verdict is in, calling him bad is justified.
Macarthur
lespaul said:

I can't believe people are arguing away 25 years of crap due to bad luck. It is a systematic problem. Jerry is the constant.

I give Jerry props for hiring jimmy. Best thing he ever did. With that said any other owner would've milked at least one more trophy out of that team.

If they had taken Rodgers (who dropped all the way to them at 20) instead of Marcus Spears they might have another trophy. I almost threw my remote at the tv. Best player in the draft available at 20 and you pass. Worst case is romo works out and you trade Rodgers.
This is grade A level BS. Romo didn't even start until 2007. Rodgers was drafted in 2005.

And I assume you think the other 20 teams that passed on him are idiots too. If we were really smart, we would have gotten Brady in the 5th round.

Good grief
lespaul
AG
Someone mentioned bad luck involving Aaron Rodgers going crazy Therefore if they had drafted him that wouldn't have been a source of bad luck. He was widely considered the best player in the draft. Rule of thumb - best player (Especially a qb) in draft falls like a rock you take him. If you don't and he beats you later don't claim bad luck

They didn't draft rodgers because romo had shown enough to Make them think he was their young qb of the future (albeit lots of what he showed was in preseason).

Btw romo became the starter during the 2006 season
lespaul
AG
Also no one thought Brady was the best player in the draft. Many thought Rodgers was and it was shocking he was available at 20. Passing on Brady wasn't stupid. Passing on Rodgers was insane
ac04
sign cam instead of dak is the most texags idea i've heard in a long time
PooDoo
AG
lespaul said:

Blame Parcells, he was the one in love with Spears. He wanted to draft him at 11.
Ag Natural
AG
Parcells also thought he could turn anyone into a good QB. He probably didnt like Rodgers' attitude.
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
Macarthur
lespaul said:

Someone mentioned bad luck involving Aaron Rodgers going crazy Therefore if they had drafted him that wouldn't have been a source of bad luck. He was widely considered the best player in the draft. Rule of thumb - best player (Especially a qb) in draft falls like a rock you take him. If you don't and he beats you later don't claim bad luck

They didn't draft rodgers because romo had shown enough to Make them think he was their young qb of the future (albeit lots of what he showed was in preseason).

This is crazy. The cowboys did not not draft Rodgers because of Romo. And why are you blaming them when 19 other teams passed on Rodgers, too. That is an incredibly flawed argument
dave94
AG
It's the day after a road win vs. a division opponent and this thread is breaking into offseason ridiculous talk.

Sign Cam over Dak?!?!
Macarthur
The QB for the Cowboys when Rodgers was drafter was Bledsoe
dave94
AG
Macarthur said:

lespaul said:

This is crazy. The cowboys did not not draft Rodgers because of Romo. And why are you blaming them when 19 other teams passed on Rodgers, too. That is an incredibly flawed argument
He's all about Jerry's fault, blame Jerry, can't win with Jerry.

It's hopeless.
PooDoo
AG
TheCougarHunter
AG
Macarthur said:

The QB for the Cowboys when Rodgers was drafter was Bledsoe
Reminds me of how poorly run the Cowboys were for that decade. Trotting out old Vinny and Bledsoe at QB...the Galloway and Roy Williams trades...passing on Rodgers when you have Bledsoe at QB ( Don't tell me they didn't draft Rodgers because of Romo...Romo was 3rd string at the time IIRC). Dave Campo was one of the worst head coaches in the history of the league and Parcells was a full decade behind the times. Truly a black hole in the illustrious history of the Cowboys.
Southlake
Jerry made 1 great hire: Jimmy Johnson.

No Jimmy = no Superbowls. (Even Barry won with Jimmys team)
lespaul
AG
"He's all about Jerry's fault, blame Jerry, can't win with Jerry
It's hopeless."

That pretty much sums up my position. Again, just look at the pitiful results the last 25 years. My lack of faith in Jerry is well justified.
Ag Natural
AG
lespaul said:

"He's all about Jerry's fault, blame Jerry, can't win with Jerry
It's hopeless."

That pretty much sums up my position. Again, just look at the pitiful results the last 25 years. My lack of faith in Jerry is well justified.

So why follow the team? Jerry ain't going anywhere. You are part of a big crowd of doomsday Cowboy fans who claim all day long that nothing good can happen because it hasnt yet. Yeah okay we get it. Jerry sucks, Garrett sucks, all the players suck until they dont.
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
dave94
AG
The "It's hopeless" part meant there's no reasoning with you.

Can you really say that the Dez no-call was because of Jerry? He was part of putting together a team that was very capable of winning it all. They got screwed and now we'll never know what could have been.

But no, Eff Jerry anyway.
lespaul
AG
I just temper my expectations. When Quincy Carter was the qb, I knew we had no realistic chance of a super bowl. I still followed them and just dialed down expectations.

Now imagine if Quincy was somehow your starting qb for 25 years and had almost no success. You would simply go into every year saying there really isn't much hope of a super bowl but you'll enjoy the ride for what it is. That's what it is like having Jerry as the owner. You said he isn't going anywhere. I am pretty sure you are wrong

I bet Washington fans feel the exact same way about Snyder (and they would be right). They have no chance until he is gone (or uninvolved)

Btw I never said Garrett sux. I said he is avg to above avg which doesn't bode well for a super bowl

I also said they have made some good personnel decisions lately. It is obvious Jerry's influence is going down which is great.

The facts of the last 25 years back me up 100%
lespaul
AG
The dez call sucked but that is why you don't throw bombs on fourth and one (I think it was one)

Also to be realistic if dez makes the catch and they score, my hunch is Rodgers would've drove down to win the game (I think there were a few minutes left).
jr15aggie
AG
lespaul said:

The dez call sucked but that is why you don't throw bombs on fourth and one (I think it was one)

Sorry to dog on you, but this has got to be one of the dumbest arguments. We gripe about not getting back to a championship game, and then one of our all time great QBs and WRs decide to go for it and make the play... only to be overturned by one of the most controversial calls of all time which ultimately changed the rule book.

And you want to second guess the call!?!
Macarthur
The ticket just had a segment about this comparing JG and Zimmer of the Vikes. I think most, prob me included, would love to have Zim over JG, but he has a worse record and fewer playoff wins. His one playoff win that got them to a NFC championship game was one of the more insane miracles in recent memory. They then get drilled in the NFC championship game.

Is Zimmer better than JG?
Grapesoda2525
Macarthur said:

The ticket just had a segment about this comparing JG and Zimmer of the Vikes. I think most, prob me included, would love to have Zim over JG, but he has a worse record and fewer playoff wins. His one playoff win that got them to a NFC championship game was one of the more insane miracles in recent memory. They then get drilled in the NFC championship game.

I'd rather have Zimmer. I still remember how good his defenses for our team were while he was here. He's the only cowboys assistant parcels retained. That should tell you something. Would parcels have retained Garrett? I'd have to say no.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
imho Garrett is not the worst, but he's not good by any means. i don't know if he's a total liability as i'm not in the building but i think he borders on liability at times and has had liability moments ie...icing kicker, bad clock mgmt at times, and of course the infamous game at Atlanta where he refused to recognize the back up LT needed help.

also, there's something to be said for players tuning even the best coaches out at some point. if they can start tuning Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells out they can start tuning Garrett out.

his bar this year absolutely needs to be NFC title game appearance. if he doesn't get that, then he needs to be gone.
Macarthur
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

imho Garrett is not the worst, but he's not good by any means. i don't know if he's a total liability as i'm not in the building but i think he borders on liability at times and has had liability moments ie...icing kicker, bad clock mgmt at times, and of course the infamous game at Atlanta where he refused to recognize the back up LT needed help.

also, there's something to be said for players tuning even the best coaches out at some point. if they can start tuning Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells out they can start tuning Garrett out.

his bar this year absolutely needs to be NFC title game appearance. if he doesn't get that, then he needs to be gone.

I think this is the best point for a change this year if they don't make the NFC Championship game.

I'm not sure if I would like Zimmer or JG, but I do think there is prob not much diff in them.
lespaul
AG
All I am saying is that throwing a bomb is a low percentage play.

Below avg Running plays pick up 3-4 yard.

At that point in the game, it was get the first down or the game is basically over (more than likely). For such a key play, I am not a fan of risking it all and going for the low percentage home run. Get the first down with a run then throw the bombs.

I know that's what the defense gave us and we got screwed on the catch call, but still, way too big of a risk for my taste at that point. Others might have different risk tolerances.

Let me ask, would Brady go for the low percentage bomb in that situation? Not likely.

Like is said even if dez catches this, do you think we would've won? Rodgers likely comes back and wins it. He does that to us every time it seems. That's why he was expected to be the first pick in the draft.
Macarthur
lespaul said:

All I am saying is that throwing a bomb is a low percentage play.

Below avg Running plays pick up 3-4 yard.

At that point in the game, it was get the first down or the game is basically over (more than likely). For such a key play, I am not a fan of risking it all and going for the low percentage home run. Get the first down with a run then throw the bombs.

I know that's what the defense gave us and we got screwed on the catch call, but still, way too big of a risk for my taste at that point. Others might have different risk tolerances.

Let me ask, would Brady go for the low percentage bomb in that situation? Not likely.

Like is said even if dez catches this, do you think we would've won? Rodgers likely comes back and wins it. He does that to us every time it seems. That's why he was expected to be the first pick in the draft.

While I agree that throwing the ball 5 yards may be a higher percentage play than 20 yards down field, you know there are certain things that when given certain looks by the defense, you automatically do A or B or C regardless of down and distance.

As for a running play, outside of your silly comment above, Romo and Dez are without question your two best offensive players so for the biggest play of the season, you decide to take the ball out of your two best players hand?
MooreTrucker
AG
Macarthur said:

JG has never lost a game when Zimmer was on the opposite sideline.
MooreTrucker
AG
Macarthur said:

Bolded makes italicized a really dumb statement.
lespaul
AG
Ok. Keep throwing bombs on crucial fourth and ones. Great idea. It works well.

I'll keep watching Tom Brady do a qb sneak in that situation. What an idiot. It's "silly" to do high percentage plays.
jr15aggie
AG
lespaul said:

Ok. Keep throwing bombs on crucial fourth and ones. Great idea. It works well.

I'll keep watching Tom Brady do a qb sneak in that situation. What an idiot. It's "silly" to do high percentage plays.

I'm not arguing the fact about what you should typically do on 4th and 1. It's obvious.

What I'm arguing is the fact that you are... in hindsight... complaining about a play that went against the norm, was Romo & Dez going for it all, and it friggin worked!

I think it's very dumb to argue the decision after the fact. We can't help the fact that the refs F'd it up any more than the Saints can last year!

EDIT: And I had to look it up cause I didn't remember... but it was 4th and 2 1/2, not 4th and 1.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.