***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,170 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gigem1223 said:

Anyone worried about Dak's shoulder Sunday?
I'm more worried about how it will influence JG's gameplan and tendency to be butt-puckered on the road.
Macarthur
diehard03 said:

Quote:

But you're assuming Payton wants to come in and run player personnel. NO has a GM.

Payton has a history with the Jones'. He may deep down not want to work for them as their HC, but if JJ could work with Bill Parcells, I think it's silly to think he couldn't work with Payton.

What about Sean Payton leads you to believe that he's going to give up roster control just to coach the Cowboys?

Loomis isn't a GM in the traditional sense.
And the Cowboys don't have a traditional structure for a GM either.

Niether of us know if Payton has any desire to work for the Cowboys....The only point I'm trying to make is that I think JJ would be flexible in his approach if he thought it would bring Payton because he desperately wants that ring before his time is up.
BMX Bandit
the number of draft picks it would take to get Payton is so high its not even worth the pipe dream.

Payton will be in NOLA at least the next 4 years.
Grapesoda2525
Sunday is a win / win in my book.

If we win, cool we get another division title.

If we lose, no doubt that the garrett era is coming to an end.
Ag Natural
AG
JG currently has a tremendous amount of input on the roster. If there were any chance to get Peyton then "control" would not be an issue. That being said, I don't see it happening.
diehard03
Quote:

And the Cowboys don't have a traditional structure for a GM either.

Niether of us know if Payton has any desire to work for the Cowboys....The only point I'm trying to make is that I think JJ would be flexible in his approach if he thought it would bring Payton because he desperately wants that ring before his time is up.

For the sake of this conversation, they do. Traditional GM role is "you coach up and play the players I give you". This is exactly what Jerry does. The fact that the owner and GM wear the same hat is irrelevant.

The point I am making is that I don't think Jerry is willing to win at any cost. He wants to win his way. That means he's not going to bring in one of these coaches that makes all the decisions in.

He's told you exactly how he feels about it, if you'll listen. His "I can come in 6th in business" speech is him telling you he's going to win his way or not at all. He is going to find a new coach next year and run it back the same way.
diehard03
Quote:

JG currently has a tremendous amount of input on the roster. If there were any chance to get Peyton then "control" would not be an issue.

Lol. The man has literally said publicly that he picks the groceries and he makes all the final decisions on everything. "Control", would exactly be the issue.
BenFiasco14
AG
Who even is the backup?

My fantasy season is over, but just checked espn fantasy. Dak is questionable obviously and says he was limited yesterday in practice, JG wanted him limited for maintenance on the shoulder.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Ag Natural
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

JG currently has a tremendous amount of input on the roster. If there were any chance to get Peyton then "control" would not be an issue.

Lol. The man has literally said publicly that he picks the groceries and he makes all the final decisions on everything. "Control", would exactly be the issue.

Jerry says publicly that it's all on him. That is true. But you can tell from insider intel that the way decisions are made is very collaborative. I've read that JG has the most impactful voice in the room. I honestly think Jerry makes himself the focal point to try and take heat off the coaches.
expresswrittenconsent
Ag Natural said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Jerry says publicly that it's all on him. That is true. But you can tell from insider intel that the way decisions are made is very collaborative. I've read that JG has the most impactful voice in the room. I honestly think Jerry makes himself the focal point to try and take heat off the coaches.

JG - we are going to look at new kickers this week.
Jerry - no we arent.
That does seem collaborative.
Ag Natural
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Ag Natural said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Jerry - no we arent.

And they looked at kickers. So who really knows what is going on in this scenario? Yeah it's the coach
expresswrittenconsent
Ag Natural said:

Ag Natural said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Jerry - no we arent.

And they looked at kickers. So who really knows what is going on in this scenario? Yeah it's the coach
2 weeks later and after publicly cutting the legs from the coach. Funny that you equate them. Most coaches wouldnt.
diehard03
Quote:

Telling people you've picked great players and the coaches need to coach better is an interesting method of taking heat off the coaches.

What you've read is just classic "Garretts guys" getting their message out into the media to save face.

It's gonna be interesting when the Ministry of Misinformation goes full tilt when Garrett is the Giants coach next year.
Ag Natural
AG

Ag Natural said:

Ag Natural said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Jerry - no we arent.

2 weeks later and after publicly cutting the legs from the coach. Funny that you equate them. Most coaches wouldnt.

That's not accurate. They worked out kickers that same week. They didnt make any moves yet.

My point is Jerry's public comments are for show most of the time. It does not accurately reflect how the operation is actually running. I firmly believe the main reason Jerry has been so slow to move on from Garrett is the pure disruption it would cause. They've been tightly integrated for 10 years. Garrett has his fingers in a lot of aspects of team building, it's not simply coaching. If it were then he would have been let go years ago.
diehard03
Quote:

I firmly believe the main reason Jerry has been so slow to move on from Garrett is the pure disruption it would cause.

This is hilarious, as he created the disruption by having that press conference where he announced that he would not extend Garrett.

It will come out later that from the players that they had trouble buying in because of coaching staff's situation.
Ag Natural
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I firmly believe the main reason Jerry has been so slow to move on from Garrett is the pure disruption it would cause.

This is hilarious, as he created the disruption by having that press conference where he announced that he would not extend Garrett.

It will come out later that from the players that they had trouble buying in because of coaching staff's situation.

I'm talking about prior years.
expresswrittenconsent
"Firm beliefs" arent facts. They are what santa claus and religion are based on. The results of the entire jones tenure (including dumping a 5x super bowl coach in an embarrassing manner and then firing the back to back defending champs coach and telling everyone that he himself could coach the team to a title) completely invalidate the idea that jerry wants to win more than anything else.
MooreTrucker
AG
diehard03 said:

It's gonna be interesting when the Ministry of Misinformation goes full tilt when Garrett is the Giants coach next year.
I think that's exactly what's going to happen. The Giants have given JG a safe place to land when he's not renewed by DAL and that's perfect for JJ and his red-headed stepson. Makes the parting easier.
dave94
AG

"Firm beliefs" arent facts. They are what santa claus and religion are based on. The results of the entire jones tenure (including dumping a 5x super bowl coach in an embarrassing manner and then firing the back to back defending champs coach and telling everyone that he himself could coach the team to a title) completely invalidate the idea that jerry wants to win more than anything else.
Wait, you think that firing Tom Landry was a sign of Jerry not wanting to win?

It's obvious that you have no love lost for Jerry and nothing will change that.
Ag Natural
AG
dave94 said:

Yeah piling on every Jerry decision is starting to look foolish. It's been well documented that Bum wanted to fire Landry but didnt have the cojones. He asked Jerry to take care of it.

diehard03
Quote:

It's strange that you chose that to pile on. This means you agree with him that the Jimmie Johnson thing was completely asinine?
diehard03
Quote:

I think that's exactly what's going to happen. The Giants have given JG a safe place to land when he's not renewed by DAL and that's perfect for JJ and his red-headed stepson. Makes the parting easier.

I know, and you'll have both sides spinning narratives about how much input JG actually had.
expresswrittenconsent
dave94 said:

"Obvious" ? Did you happen to notice the words "embarrassing manner" ? Do you think that Landry (who needed to go) was fired in a good way? Do you think it reflects positively on Jerry? More importantly, why ignore the bigger part of the deal, which was him firing a guy 2 months after winning his 2nd straight title and telling everyone that he could coach the team to a superbowl. EVERY action by Jerry over the last 25.5 years was a reflection of this, save for the time he needed money for a new stadium and temporarily gave control to parcells.
dave94
AG
Without the parenthesis you said: The results of the entire jones tenure completely invalidate the idea that jerry wants to win more than anything else.

And that's just wrong.

I focused on the Landry point because it makes me think you're one of many lifelong Cowboys fans who will never forgive/forget that Jerry did it. So many have held onto that as the foundation for never respecting or giving any credit to Jerry. I loved Tom Landry too, but it was unfortunatey time for him to go.
diehard03
Quote:

Without the parenthesis you said: The results of the entire jones tenure completely invalidate the idea that jerry wants to win more than anything else.

And that's just wrong.

I focused on the Landry point because it makes me think you're one of many lifelong Cowboys fans who will never forgive/forget that Jerry did it.

Such a strange hill to die on. Jerry has done enough to warrant the criticism, regardless of the Landry situation.
expresswrittenconsent
I dont care about tom landry. What's funny is you 3 jerry knob slobbers keep ignoring the part in bold. I guess you cant address it because you are unable to.
expresswrittenconsent
Additionally, Jerry only gave Jimmy GM and Coach duties because Jerry had leveraged every dollar to buy the team and his sole focus those first 4 yrs was paying off his loan. Once he paid the note he fired jimmy. Then he didnt give personnel control over until Parcells, which was because he needed a new stadium. This isn't hard. He wants to make money (which is fine, but stop pretending this is about winning). Winning isn't the first goal, nor the primary goal.
dave94
AG
I don't think it's even a question about Jimmy's firing being the worst decision Jerry ever made. Hell, he won't it admit it but knows that too.

And I don't think anyone here is "slobbing" his knob, ha.
diehard03
Quote:

Winning isn't the first goal, nor the primary goal.

I've been with you on this up until now. I think Winning is the primary Goal for Jerry. It's just that he has his own qualifiers on how he wants to win. He's not interested in someone else picking out the groceries.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Winning while getting credit. That's what he wants.

Reality is that two big egos clashed after the success in the 90s. Jimmy didn't really want to acknowledge Jerry's part in the success, and it all being seen as Jimmy's doing (and Jimmy basically treating him like a buffoon via the toast snub, etc) ate Jerry up. It's not about money and all that over stuff. Ever since then, Jerry has wanted to win another SB and have it be seen as one that he had a big part in assembling. Which the whole thing is ridiculous because he was the one bold enough to fire a legend and bring in Jimmy. He deserves a ton of credit for those 3.
the last of the bohemians
Wouldn't be surprising at all if JG goes conservative Sunday do to Daks shoulder and you see another frustrating loss by a couple points...JG is probably feeling over confident about the run game after last week, and he is the dumbest smart coach in the NFL so why wouldn't he go conservative in the game he has to win... wouldn't be a more fitting end to his career at Dallas
Grapesoda2525
the last of the bohemians said:

Wouldn't be surprising at all if JG goes conservative Sunday do to Daks shoulder and you see another frustrating loss by a couple points...JG is probably feeling over confident about the run game after last week, and he is the dumbest smart coach in the NFL so why wouldn't he go conservative in the game he has to win... wouldn't be a more fitting end to his career at Dallas
I seem to remember last time we beat philly they couldn't stop the run.

Might not be a bad game plan to unleash Zeke / pollard.
the last of the bohemians
Yes may very well be the best plan, but you know if it's not working after first few drives, JG will wait to long before adjusting.
Personally I think the passing game is the team's strength and running game succeeds as a byproduct. I would script the beginning of every game as 70% pass during 1st quarter and then let Zeke loose
Grapesoda2525
the last of the bohemians said:

Yes may very well be the best plan, but you know if it's not working after first few drives, JG will wait to long before adjusting.
Personally I think the passing game is the team's strength and running game succeeds as a byproduct. I would script the beginning of every game as 70% pass during 1st quarter and then let Zeke loose
Ginger has demonstrated time and time again that he has no feel for the game and no way to adjust. I still remember the no name atlanta Defensive lineman who went off for like 8 sacks in one game against Chaz green. No advance preparation, no adjustments, total fail.

Basically with Garrett, if the initial plan doesn't work, it's most likely a loss that day and could be a blow out.
dave94
AG
Am I just missing something or are we no longer punctuating on this thread

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.