***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,153 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

8-8

Lose in wildcard round by a field goal as the buzzer expires.
Wow, that's the lowest prediction for DAL I've seen so far anywhere.

I think they win the division, but I can't decide how far beyond that. CHI may present some problems on the way to the Super Bowl.
TyHolden
AG
11-5. We always lose a couple nfc east road games we shouldn't.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They've been on a weird even/odd year cycle. Win the division in the even year, then the next year slide back down. Part of that is the 1st place schedule (although it's only a 2 game impact now), but the bigger reason is that in 2015 it was Romo and 2017 was Zeke cloud. Step 1 is the hope that Zeke really is in shape and doesn't end up getting hurt right away like some of these long holdout guys have a tendency to do. He was not in good shape in 2017, and that combined with the cloud contributed to a slow start.

It's time to shake that trend. But big picture, I think they win the division but get stuck in the division round yet again.
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

They've been on a weird even/odd year cycle. Win the division in the even year, then the next year slide back down. Part of that is the 1st place schedule (although it's only a 2 game impact now), but the bigger reason is that in 2015 it was Romo and 2017 was Zeke cloud. Step 1 is the hope that Zeke really is in shape and doesn't end up getting hurt right away like some of these long holdout guys have a tendency to do. He was not in good shape in 2017, and that combined with the cloud contributed to a slow start.

It's time to shake that trend. But big picture, I think they win the division but get stuck in the division round yet again.
Another loss in the divisional round and Garrett must go.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, it's a championship game or bust year for sure. I think they have the talent to be in the championship game and win the NFC. I think the defense will be good, and the offense has the tools to be good. We'll see how the Moore/JG combo works.

Part of the reason for my prediction is that I just have a hard time betting against a trend. I'll think they'll break the odd year implosion trend and hope to do more than that, but my confidence in JG is tempered.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I've already predicted Dallas into the NFC title game. That said,

If the Cowboys make the playoffs at all with at least 10 wins I don't see Jerry making the move on Garrett.
dellgriffith
AG
gigem1223 said:

Hard to believe the first game is only 3 days away. Put up or shut up boys. What's everyone's predictions for the team this season? I'll start

11-5 - NFC East champs
Lose to KC in super bowl
OPOY - Dak Prescott (think he has a breakthrough season)
DPOY - Jaylon Smith

If Dak has a breakthrough season 12-4 is the floor for this team.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Baby Billy
AG
12-4

Losses to Philly, NO, LA, and CHI

Early exit in the playoffs because Garrett sucks
Post removed:
by user
Ag12thman
AG
I think they have the exact same season they did last year. Same record and same exit from the playoffs.

And, yes, Garrett sucks.
Ag Natural
AG
So funny that Garrett sucks even if he's winning double digit games and the division consistently. Cowboy fans are just dumb sometimes.

The first step in being a good program is getting to be consistent and getting into the playoffs in good shape. If he's doing that then it's only a matter of time before he makes a good run. Once you get to the playoffs all these teams are pretty even it's take some luck to win.
expresswrittenconsent
You're right, hes a great coach. Icing his own kicker was his first sign of genius.
Ag Natural
AG
So if he makes the NFC Championship game then he's a great coach? He still iced his own kicker 8 years ago.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Based on their talent I'd say 11-5 this year with the losing NFC championship game. However, I fully expect Garrett to drop a game by bad clock management at least once this year like always, and I probably 1-2 major pieces will get hurt. That drops us to 9-7 and a wildcard loss.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't think JG sucks. I just think his style is one of knowing how to consistently take care of business vs out-talented teams, but when the **** gets thick, has a tough time finding answers. His style is safe and predictable, and I think quality teams really know how to take advantage to that. So it's consistently limited their upside.
expresswrittenconsent
Ag Natural said:

So if he makes the NFC Championship game then he's a great coach? He still iced his own kicker 8 years ago.

It's telling that even you (a guy arguing that red is a very good to great coach) cant even put him in the super bowl, let alone winning it in your hypothetical.
Ag Natural
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Ag Natural said:

It's telling that even you (a guy arguing that red is a very good to great coach) cant even put him in the super bowl, let alone winning it in your hypothetical.

I'm not saying hes a great coach. I'm just questioning the methodology so many are using to evaluate him. The facts say he has a very good record lately. If he makes the SB now does that mean hes great now and everyone was wrong about him? Or is he just a decent coach and many decent coaches win big from time to time. If you fire him then who do you hire? The only coach in the league who has proven to be great is Belichik.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I wouldn't say "sucks" necessarily. I'd say he's not a guy who I'd trust to outcoach about a third of the league. He's not a guy who puts you over the top in any way from the sidelines imho.
expresswrittenconsent
So you're really just arguing semantics over how you define good. Congrats on the 9-7 "good" seasons I guess.
The goal of the franchise is to win super bowls. They've failed spectacularly at that for going on 25 yrs now (obviously larger issue), but JG has had almost a decade to show he isnt good enough to win a super bowl. He's shown he isnt even good enough to get out of the divisional round, including an embarrassing 1 seed loss.
BenFiasco14
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

So you're really just arguing semantics over how you define good. Congrats on the 9-7 "good" seasons I guess.
The goal of the franchise is to win super bowls. They've failed spectacularly at that for going on 25 yrs now (obviously larger issue), but JG has had almost a decade to show he isnt good enough to win a super bowl. He's shown he isnt even good enough to get out of the divisional round, including an embarrassing 1 seed loss.
Bring in Lincoln Riley then!
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
jtstanley4621
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I wouldn't say "sucks" necessarily. I'd say he's not a guy who I'd trust to outcoach about a third of the league. He's not a guy who puts you over the top in any way from the sidelines imho.
Absolutely correct. He does not add anything in my eyes as the coach. If all the star players are healthy, you can have success under him. If they have some guys go down with injuries, the team falls off a cliff because he cannot adjust, and that to me is the sign of at the very most a "not good" coach. He is exceedingly middle of the road.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Garrett's only has one thing that is better than average coach-wise. He is a great motivator. Never seen his teams quit no matter how bad they're getting beat or what the record is. They always play hard. He's also not bad at developing young talent. Now his game management, playcalling, in-game adjustments, and clock management all leave something to be desired.
MooreTrucker
AG
Ag Natural said:

And no one ever grows and learns from mistakes.

I'm thinking they make the playoffs easily and then how far they go will be determined by how much latitude Moore is given.
Kellso
11-5 and they will lose in the NFC title game.

My thoughts on Jason Garrett.

JG is not a great coach, but I am going to give him credit for one thing. Whenever his back has been up against the wall and he was about to get fired......... his teams have always responded.

2014: Prior to this season I stated that JG had to win the division and a playoff game to erase the stink of three consecutive 8-8 seasons. If not they should fire him.
Mission Accomplished.

2016: After an injury riddled 2015 I again stated that it was Division Crown or bust for the Cowboys. The Cowboys respond with 13-3.

2017: JG gets a pass for Zeke getting suspended for 6 games. Would have most likely made the playoffs at 10-6 or 11-5 if Zeke was not suspended.

2018: Same as the others years. I stated that JG had to win the division and a playoff game to keep his job.
After the loss to the titans put them at 3-5 I thought Garrett had one game left.
The Cowboys respond with a 7-1 back half of the season, Division Crown and a playoff win.

I like the fact that Jerry Jones has stated that it is NFC title game or bust for Jason Garrett.

I am cautiously optimistic, but I am also pessimistic because the Cowboys rarely have two great seasons in a row.
The last time I was this excited about a Cowboys team was the 2008 team....and they greatly underachieved going 9-7.
Grapesoda2525
jtstanley4621 said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Absolutely correct. He does not add anything in my eyes as the coach. If all the star players are healthy, you can have success under him. If they have some guys go down with injuries, the team falls off a cliff because he cannot adjust, and that to me is the sign of at the very most a "not good" coach. He is exceedingly middle of the road.
Garrett's too conservative for this era of football. I think he's a ***** actually, he always coaches the team and manages the games in "not to lose" mode instead of "playing to win" mode like an NFL coach should be.
Saint Pablo
Funny end to the holdout
Southlake
14-2 Cowboys dominate their division and lose a close to the Saints and a late game that doesn't matter with starters resting.

Stay injury free for a change.

Go to the Super Bowl and beat KC 37-24.

This team is healthy and loaded (and leveraged).

Somebody will resurrect this post in early February.

Count on it.
TyHolden
AG
15-0 beating Clemson to win it all
jr15aggie
AG
Southlake said:

14-2 Cowboys dominate their division and lose a close to the Saints and a late game that doesn't matter with starters resting.

Stay injury free for a change.

Go to the Super Bowl and beat KC 37-24.

This team is healthy and loaded (and leveraged).

Somebody will resurrect this post in early February.

Count on it.

I like the way you're thinking!
jr15aggie
AG
Well, based on Thursday night football... give JG credit for playing his starters in pre season. Sounds like Chicago didn't play theirs and they look friggin terrible.
mike_ags_fan12
Take away the long Scantling pass, and the packers are just as bad.
jr15aggie
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

Take away the long Scantling pass, and the packers are just as bad.

According to Collinsworth, they didn't play in pre season either.

Im not a huge fan of those games, but you gotta play your guys at least a little.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm hearing that Cooper looked really good in practice. Didn't miss a beat. I want to see a giants ass kicking on Sunday
BMX Bandit
more on the Zeke contract.

Cap hits over next 4 years:

$6.33m
$10.9m
$13.7m
$16.5m

that's 1 bad number, and its after the new CBA. So who knows if it will even be "bad" then. The only other potentially "bad" number so far in 2022 is DeMarcus Lawrence at $24m. But 2022 is also the "we'll see" year for Lawrence and he can be cut for dead money of $10mm

For Zeke, after those first 4 years, the Cowboys can cut him and only have $6.7m in dead money.

I dont think those gnashing their teeth over how bad this contract is understand the dynamics of its structure.
Ag Natural
AG
Yes, the dirty little secret in the league right now is the Cowboys are actually pretty damn smart. They've avoided big FA contracts, grown through the draft and try to lock up the good ones. I was reading somewhere that one big advantage the cowboys have is they can make the contracts longer and give bigger signing bonuses because they are flush with cash. Because they're the COWBOYS.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.