***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,146 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LOL. Maybe. I called out the front office possibility once this thing got through a Monday meeting without actually happening. I know Jerry is super attached to Jason, but seriously? Talk about setting the next guy up for failure right out of the gate. There's already too much lurking and looking over the coach's shoulder in the organization with Jerry. Now we're gonna have the old coach stick around too? I wouldn't begrudge Jason if this idiot wants to give him a deal, but I would think even he knows better and wouldn't want to be a part of something like that. Although maybe it's talking all week because Jerry is working so hard to talk him into it.
jcbaggie04
AG
Yeah at this point anything is possible. There is no rule book when it comes to Jerry Jones. That man just does what he does.
Grapesoda2525
The Jones family has given the middle finger to most of the fan base already with how this has played out.

There are so many people out there dying for Garrett to not be coach anymore.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Seems like the "we want you in the front office but not as head coach" conversation could have happened anytime after the Eagles game. We're losing ground every day with the most desirable coaches but fooling around instead of getting down to business
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CoppellAg93
AG
Let him stand at the end of the tunnel and clap as the players run out on the field. He's really good at that.
investorAg83
AG
Cmon Jerry...finish him!!!
bonfarr
AG
You guys really think there are only 2 or 3 viable candidates out there for NFL head coach? By most reports Jerry is thinking outside the box on this hire. If he is really looking at Urban Meyer,Mullen, and Lincoln Riley what is the rush? You have the Giants and the Panthers to contend with since nobody wants to coach Cleveland. The Panthers will make a typical NFL hire going with a coordinator or so wine with NFL head coaching experience like McCarthy.

DannyDuberstein
AG
I think there are a lot of options. I'd prefer they get in the mix because I do think some good ones will get snatched up, but I'm not too concerned about it. That's partly because I think the main list of candidates include a guy like Meyer, as well as assistants in the playoffs and unavailable to interview yet anyway. I don't think Jerry is interested in the NFL retread.
Grapesoda2525
It's hard to imagine any of the guys listed so far being worse than Garrett anyway. Garrett brought nothing to the table besides clapping and getting his guys to play hard for him.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Why do we think assistant coaches in the playoffs aren't interviewing for HC jobs right now? They may not want to announce until the end of their season, but those deals get locked in right around now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Collective
AG
Why does Garrett not being kicked to the curb officially in the public eye mean the Cowboys aren't working on a potential hire? I guess I'm a bit confused why there is a freak out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
NFL rules. Not that back channeling with agents isn't happening, but teams can only interview assistants whose teams have a bye this week. Otherwise, they have to wait until the team is out of the playoffs. They also can't accept a job until they are done even though they may have been allowed to interview this week. Now again, we all know stuff gets done informally, but still, I do think a formal sit-down in a situation like this is very much needed.
Ag Natural
AG
I said months ago that I'd bet Jerry tries to put JG into the front office. I think Garrett has a pretty sizable impact on personnel decisions now. They may think hes great at it. He might resist because he still wants to coach. Who the hell knows.
ac04
the theory i've seen that makes the most sense is that jerry is trying to stall until NYG hires someone because he doesn't want garrett there.
The Collective
AG
ac04 said:

the theory i've seen that makes the most sense is that jerry is trying to stall until NYG hires someone because he doesn't want garrett there.

Again, the fact that Jerry might even be concerned about this is a signal of his delusion.
ac04
garrett has been mentioned as a potential candidate for that job by multiple outlets
BMX Bandit
ac04 said:

garrett has been mentioned as a potential candidate for that job by multiple outlets

I've seen it from 1 source. Ian Rappaport. Who else reporting that?

They are working on front office job is what seems most obvious.
bilbobag
Apparently Jerry is letting Garrett say goodbye in person to all his players. Hasn't meet with everyone yet.
ac04
BMX Bandit said:

ac04 said:

I've seen it from 1 source. Ian Rappaport. Who else reporting that?
sports illustrated, usa today, new york post, et al
BMX Bandit
And which of those lists someone other than Rappaport as the source regarding Giants being interested?
jtstanley4621
AG
I Have Spoken said:

ac04 said:

Again, the fact that Jerry might even be concerned about this is a signal of his delusion.
I would LOVE Garrett on the Giatns. Would never have to worry about them for however long they kept him as their HC.
ac04
several. if you're that curious, use google.
ramblin_ag02
AG
bilbobag said:

Apparently Jerry is letting Garrett say goodbye in person to all his players. Hasn't meet with everyone yet.
I hope this is a joke. It's sad that I would believe anything when it comes to Jerry
The Collective
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

I would LOVE Garrett on the Giatns. Would never have to worry about them for however long they kept him as their HC.

This is my point exactly. There is no magic formula to the inner workings of this franchise or some trade secret worth protecting.
twilly
AG
Guys...you're not thinking like Jerry here. If JG were to go to NY and have success, then it would make Jerry (in his own mind) look bad. It would make him the sole reason the boys haven't done **** the last two decades.

Jerry is trying to save face on this whole deal.
bonfarr
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

bilbobag said:

I hope this is a joke. It's sad that I would believe anything when it comes to Jerry

He isn't saying goodbye in person to each player they were conducting exit interviews which they do at the close of every season and those were finished on Tuesday.
Grapesoda2525
twilly said:

Guys...you're not thinking like Jerry here. If JG were to go to NY and have success, then it would make Jerry (in his own mind) look bad. It would make him the sole reason the boys haven't done **** the last two decades.

That's Jerry's big concern.

Jerry has invested so much into Garrett.

He brought garrett into the cowboys coaching fold before we even hired Wade Phillips as head coach at the time. It was a totally unprecedented move for the NFL.

He gave Garrett the head coaching job. A job he was woefully unqualified for at the time.

He kept Garrett when almost everyone else on planet earth would've fired him numerous times over.

Seeing Garrett have any success elsewhere will really hurt Jerry's ego and he is going to do what he can to make sure it doesn't happen.

I think he doesn't have anything to worry about that. Garrett couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.
jr15aggie
AG
IMO, JG already knows he won't be back. The official announcement is just a formality. JG is like family so it was never gonna be a snap of the finger sort of deal (even though I personally would have done it around week 4 or 5).

If Jerry's coach was available right now he'd have fired and hired already. Most likely, Jerry isn't in a rush because his target is currently unavailable so we have to sit and wait.
bonfarr
AG
jr15aggie said:

IMO, JG already knows he won't be back. The official announcement is just a formality. JG is like family so it was never gonna be a snap of the finger sort of deal (even though I personally would have done it around week 4 or 5).

If Jerry's coach was available right now he'd have fired and hired already. Most likely, Jerry isn't in a rush because his target is currently unavailable so we have to sit and wait.

Agreed. IMO Jerry knows pissed off fans want blood and are waiting for Garrett to be publicly fired so they can all jump for joy and he is determined to not give that to us out of respect for Garrett. He is trying to give him a soft landing spot or will let him walk away when his contract expires.
Ag Natural
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

twilly said:

He brought garrett into the cowboys coaching fold before we even hired Wade Phillips as head coach at the time. It was a totally unprecedented move for the NFL.

He gave Garrett the head coaching job. A job he was woefully unqualified for at the time.

He kept Garrett when almost everyone else on planet earth would've fired him numerous times over.

Seeing Garrett have any success elsewhere will really hurt Jerry's ego and he is going to do what he can to make sure it doesn't happen.

I think he doesn't have anything to worry about that. Garrett couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

Ego or otherwise. It's pretty normal to try and salvage something out of the investment in JGs development. Internally at the Star Garrett is regarded as a great leader. Maybe in a different scenario he would be successful.

The problem is there is no way he can be the HC. And if you put him in the FO how is that going to work with the new HC? It seems like it would be best to just part ways but that is easy for us to say. Jones values his relationship with the Garrett's. Hes loyal to that. It probably his greatest strength and weakness.
Grapesoda2525
Ag Natural said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

twilly said:

Ego or otherwise. It's pretty normal to try and salvage something out of the investment in JGs development. Internally at the Star Garrett is regarded as a great leader. Maybe in a different scenario he would be successful.

The problem is there is no way he can be the HC. And if you put him in the FO how is that going to work with the new HC? It seems like it would be best to just part ways but that is easy for us to say. Jones values his relationship with the Garrett's. Hes loyal to that. It probably his greatest strength and weakness.
That's fine and dandy, but Jones needs to realize that his relationship with the Garrett's hasn't really paid off for him. He needs to move on.

Garrett has embarrassed this franchise as head coach for far too long. He was a good backup QB for us, but that's about it.
Ag Natural
AG
I'm sure you've never bought stock and held on too long
YouBet
AG
So The Ticket thinks Urban Meyer is the next coach and read at least one article that says UM and Stephen spoke a month ago already.
PatAg
AG
YouBet said:

So The Ticket thinks Urban Meyer is the next coach and read at least one article that says UM and Stephen spoke a month ago already.

What show and segment said that?
Proposition Joe
You guys are really over-playing the Jerry ego or Jerry strategist angle in all of this.

Chances are Jones simply wants to keep JG in the fold, but not as HC and the two are negotiating to see if that's workable ($$$ figures, contract stipulations, etc...). Garrett may be considering if he wants to test the coaching market again or if he'd prefer to be a front office guy... or he may be trying to work it so that he's getting good money but can also immediately leave if a HC job gets offered to him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.