***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,149 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
ac04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DannyDuberstein said:

That's 4 games this year against quality teams and they've lost 3 of them. And in those 3, Zeke was basically a non-factor. Philly, their only W, was the only time he made a decent contribution. He's putting up pretty good numbers for the season, but they are pretty much empty numbers. And his 4.4 YPC for the season is very unimpressive.
he's definitely not the same player he was in 2016 anymore. it used to feel like he could score any time he touched the ball. that element of his game seems like a distant memory. still a solid runner but i no longer consider him the best (or among the best) in the league.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Whether it's the game plan, playcalling, O-line or Zeke, our running game is DOA against any half decent defense this year. Dak is playing lights out, but when your defense is awful and your run game is awful and your special teams is awful then not even a great QB is going to get you over the hump. Last night reminded me of just about every Romo-in-his-prime game. QB out there doing everything and the rest of the team playing like crap
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I made this comment on another thread, but at this point, he's basically a low-to-the-ground gliding grinder that can churn out okay yards, but just doesn't seem to bring much explosion or game-breaking factor. Longest run this year is 27 yards. Last year his long was 41. In his crap suspension year, it was 30. Rookie Zeke took one for 60. In the passing game, he took on for 80 his rookie year and 72 his 2nd year. Maxed out at 38 last year and his longest reception this year is 27. Again, no explosion, and these good teams are really bottling him up overall.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
agreed on zeke. good thing we just broke the bank for him. excellent front-officing.
BenFiasco14
AG
Why does Garrett still have a job?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
twilly
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Because Jerry said if they let him go, 10 other teams would snap him up in a jiffy, That's sound GM'ing right there fellas.
Grapesoda2525
twilly said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Because Jerry said if they let him go, 10 other teams would snap him up in a jiffy, That's sound GM'ing right there fellas.
Jerry's not the GM anymore. Will McClay and Stephen Jones make 95% of the football decisions now. The only problem is Jerruh seems to have retained the right to decide who the head coach is. That loser Garrett has to be fired by Jerruh and I doubt it's going to happen.

Jerruh hand picked Garrett and if Garrett wins it all, Jerruh can take all the credit for hiring JG. Jerruh can finally have his moment where he produced a championship..... and not Jimmy Johnson.

The whole thing is weird and messed up, but I almost truly believe that Garrett is safe until Jerruh croaks. Garrett is in the top 5 of NFL coaches based on longevity or tenure, and the other 4 coaches on that list all have super bowls. It will almost take an act of god for Jerruh to finally send this loser packing.
94chem
ElephantRider said:

Ag Natural said:

I've been pretty happy with the offense in general. However, it's a major pet peeve of mine when the play callers doesn't just stick with what works on a game to game basis. The Pats are a great example of this. I've seen games where they throw it 60 times. I've seen games where they rarely throw.

Moore obviously is incredibly young. But he has promise.

Some coaches feel like they have to be balanced just for the sake of being balanced.
Garrett is the guy who pulls Barry Bonds, 'cause, you know, they brought in a lefty.
expresswrittenconsent
Grapesoda2525 said:

twilly said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Jerry's not the GM anymore. Will McClay and Stephen Jones make 95% of the football decisions now. The only problem is Jerruh seems to have retained the right to decide who the head coach is. That loser Garrett has to be fired by Jerruh and I doubt it's going to happen.

Jerruh hand picked Garrett and if Garrett wins it all, Jerruh can take all the credit for hiring JG. Jerruh can finally have his moment where he produced a championship..... and not Jimmy Johnson.

The whole thing is weird and messed up, but I almost truly believe that Garrett is safe until Jerruh croaks. Garrett is in the top 5 of NFL coaches based on longevity or tenure, and the other 4 coaches on that list all have super bowls. It will almost take an act of god for Jerruh to finally send this loser packing.

Nothing will change until Jerry dies.
DannyDuberstein
AG
JG is simply a high floor, low ceiling guy. Time to move on.

The talent evaluation quality has clearly changed over the past 7-10 years, albeit there are still busts. But the personnel department is doing a quality job. The coaching side is not, at least not beyond very basic competence.
MooreTrucker
AG
ruddyduck said:

agreed on zeke. good thing we just broke the bank for him. excellent front-officing.
OK, I agree on what's said about Garrett, but using hindsight in this situation is just dumb. NO ONE thought giving that $$ to Zeke was bad front-officing. Has it paid off, no not really, but don't act like it was a bad move at the time.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

NO ONE thought giving that $$ to Zeke was bad front-officing. Has it paid off, no not really, but don't act like it was a bad move at the time.

You should go read the offseason thread. It was about 50/50 and I for sure was on the "this is a bad idea" side.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
MooreTrucker said:

ruddyduck said:

OK, I agree on what's said about Garrett, but using hindsight in this situation is just dumb. NO ONE thought giving that $$ to Zeke was bad front-officing. Has it paid off, no not really, but don't act like it was a bad move at the time.
And let's keep in mind, if you go look at the specifics, this is actually a pretty good contract for Dallas. Dallas can cut him in 3 years with little penalty.
Macarthur
Grapesoda2525 said:

Mtn_Guide said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Dalvin Cook is a much better RB than Elliot

And anyone is a better coach than Garrett
Question for the Garrett defenders on here.

Yes..... I know the cowboys have won a lot of games under Garrett, but isn't the point of playing to try and win championships?

The cowboys under Garrett have an extensive history of losing the big games or the games that matter.

Tough NFC opponent in prime time? Usually a loss.

Tough AFC opponent? Usually a loss.

Does he own philly and the NFC east? Yes

Playoff game? 50-50 odds at best and that's being generous.

If division titles were the name of the game, I'd be all in favor of keeping Garrett, but it's about Super Bowls. I guess some people here are content to beat the skins, Eagles, giants and call it a day, but the Cowboys should be aiming higher.

Can't argue with any of this. It's time to move on.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
MooreTrucker said:

ruddyduck said:

i did. plenty of people did.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I was on the fence. Liked what I saw from Pollard. That said, as mentioned above, they can get out of this thing relatively early if needed. I'm not sweating his deal, but do want to see more impact.
jtstanley4621
AG
I don't think Zeke is washed up. I think that we're running him into loaded fronts, and we also seem to be ignoring his ability to split out wide and run routes. Heaven forbid you get the ball to either him or Pollard in space.
Macarthur

This is jaw dropping.
investorAg83
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

That's 4 games this year against quality teams and they've lost 3 of them. And in those 3, Zeke was basically a non-factor. Philly, their only W, was the only time he made a decent contribution. He's putting up pretty good numbers for the season, but they are pretty much empty numbers. And his 4.4 YPC for the season is very unimpressive.
Zeke's issues aside, we have losses to:

1) The Saints minus Brees
2) The Packers minus Adams (number 1 WR)
3) The Vikings minus Thielen (their number 1 WR)
4) And the Jets where we made Sam effing Darnold look like Tom Brady

1 or 2 losses from that list...ok. Things happen. But 4 losses with those circumstances is inexcusable considering the talent on this roster.
ElephantRider
AG
Macarthur said:

This is jaw dropping.
Saint Pablo
Macarthur said:

This is jaw dropping.
Hate Garrett. Want him gone. But to be fair, the QBs were Kyle Orton, Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel, and Kellen Moore. All of which were pretty worthless QBs.
Macarthur
True, but he's a QB so he has some reponsiblity in this. And coaches win with backups all the time. I'm done making excuses for him
MooreTrucker
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

I don't think Zeke is washed up. I think that we're running him into loaded fronts, and we also seem to be ignoring his ability to split out wide and run routes. Heaven forbid you get the ball to either him or Pollard in space.
It looked at times last night that Zeke himself was ignoring his abilities as well. More than once, and the announcers even mentioned it once, he ran straight into the pile rather than bouncing out into a MUCH more open hole.
PatAg
AG
The head coach can also dictate the overall philosophy and leave it to a first year OC to call the specific plays. Ie dictating run in first down, keep a balance of run/pass. We need to be conservative here
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

The talent evaluation quality has clearly changed over the past 7-10 years, albeit there are still busts. But the personnel department is doing a quality job. The coaching side is not, at least not beyond very basic competence.

Yeah, at this point, I wouldn't mind if they just moved on from Garrett today. With the talent on this roster, they really need to salvage the season and send a message that the status quo just isn't good enough. Make Rod Marinelli the interim head coach given his experience and promote Kris Richard to DC (he's calling plays as it is). If things play out well, perhaps keep Marinelli for 2 more years with Richard as head coach in waiting. If not, bring on someone brand new for next season.
Saint Pablo
Macarthur said:

True, but he's a QB so he has some reponsiblity in this. And coaches win with backups all the time. I'm done making excuses for him

Agree, I just think there are more relevant things to bash him about...like the lack of playoff success with our stud QBs...
Macarthur
txagman1998 said:

Quote:

Yeah, at this point, I wouldn't mind if they just moved on from Garrett today. With the talent on this roster, they really need to salvage the season and send a message that the status quo just isn't good enough. Make Rod Marinelli the interim head coach given his experience and promote Kris Richard to DC (he's calling plays as it is). If things play out well, perhaps keep Marinelli for 2 more years with Richard as head coach in waiting. If not, bring on someone brand new for next season.
I would be fine with this plan as an interim. Rod was a failure in Det, but that was a trash organization so he prob didn't have much of a chance.

expresswrittenconsent
Saint Pablo said:

Macarthur said:

Agree, I just think there are more relevant things to bash him about...like the lack of playoff success with our stud QBs...

There are definitely more relevant reasons to fire him, but that is far from a meaningless stat.
It's (almost) a full season worth of games without starting QB and he has 1 win. Hell, in the NFL this season backup QBs are 20-15.
Saint Pablo
expresswrittenconsent said:

Saint Pablo said:

Macarthur said:

There are definitely more relevant reasons to fire him, but that is far from a meaningless stat.
It's (almost) a full season worth of games without starting QB and he has 1 win. Hell, in the NFL this season backup QBs are 20-15.
Yeah that is pretty gross. Brandon Allen, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Mason Rudolph are out there winning games.
bonfarr
AG
Sturm's thoughts are up and he has an interesting stat regarding the slow starts to this team. In our 4 losses the cumulative score was 75-9 before the Cowboys made the games competitive.

Quote:

Part of the reason this team starts slow is their complete unwillingness to take risks. Dallas is coached by what could be considered the most risk-averse coach in the industry. They have the better team, and they are at home. They should attack without fear and with a double dose of aggression.

Quote:

This was Dallas Cowboys football under Jason Garrett. Always competitive, always entertaining and always frustrating. They, for a decade now, have simply missed that final play. We have seen this team in this position before, and we have seen this game countless times. They are never bad, and they are never great.

With this head coach and this regime, they are simply stuck in that old familiar place.

Nothing changes, because nothing truly changes.

Southlake
And, while we are complaining: What happened to , "The best O Line in the NFL"?

Did these guys get old? Just lost a few steps? Zeke not getting yards isn't just on Zeke. I admit that after Dak was tearing up the Vikes, you'd think the O Line coulda given Zeke a crease or something. They simply git eaten up.

If you want to talk O Line, look what the Vikes did after the Cowboys went up 21-20. They just smash mouthed Dallas and shoved Cook right up their butts.

PS. Did Bennett even play last night?
bonfarr
AG
It sure didn't help that the 2 runs late in the fourth were right behind Connor Williams.

Bennett played and had a few nice stops but the failures were more on the Linebackers not getting off blocks and their poor tackling.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Probably overrated to begin with. Then back problems, guilline barre, and Connor Williams not being so great (not bad, just not that impressed) have taken its toll.
lespaul
AG
""""lespaul said:
"He's all about Jerry's fault, blame Jerry, can't win with Jerry It's hopeless."

That pretty much sums up my position. Again, just look at the pitiful results the last 25 years. My lack of faith in Jerry is well justified. """"

I said earlier this week that as long as Jerry is the owner and allows avg coaches like JG to keep his job, a super bowl simply won't happen. I took a lot of heat for being a pessimist and people asking why I even watch the cowboys if all hope is lost.

Last night is just another piece in a mountain of evidence that I am 100% right (I already have 25 years of evidence on my side). I was 0.0% surprised at the end when we blew it.

Did I win over any converts to my side last night? It bums me out that I am right. I wish I were wrong.

The cowboys have now lost by 2 (saints), 2 (jets, outcoached by worst coach in league), and now 4 (Vikings). Coaching matters.... a lot. JG is avg. An above avg coach wins at least two of these games.

lespaul
AG
just looked at the stats closely. VERY weird game

how do the cowboys have 24 first downs, and NONE from running. never seen that before that I can recall

Also, how do you limit the other QB to 220 yards and their RB to under 4 YPC and lose?

Cowboys had 443 yards to 364 for Minn and yet TOP was 33 to 26 Minn.

I suppose when you have 50 yards rushing, crazy stuff happens and you often lose.

FINAL POINT: I think hail mary INT's shouldn't count as an INT in the stats. Just my opinion

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.