Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

293,237 Views | 2678 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by TexAgs91
Touchless
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All good. Have a great weekend and BTHO Florida!
TexAgs91
AG
Here's a good and recent interview with Elon where he discusses his plans for Twitter (among other things)

Starting at 30:41 it starts with Elon saying "I tried to get out of the deal", and then does an impression of Al Pacino LOL

For now at least, his workload went up from 80 hrs/week to 120 hrs/week because of Twitter. Insane...
But he says it should be more manageable in the future.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
HeardAboutPerio
AG
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/joe-biden-takes-elon-musk-twitters-new-content-moderation-spews-lies-all-across-world

Quote:

"Elon Musk goes out and buys an outlet that sends that spews lies all across the world," Biden remarked. "There are no editors anymore in America. There are no editors."

The president seemed to suggest there was no longer any moderation on Twitter, a claim echoed by several others on the platform who are also critical of Musk.

"How do we expect kids to be able to understand what is at stake? What is at stake? So there's a lot going on, a lot going on. But we have an enormous opportunity, enormous opportunity," Biden added.

Pushing all the right buttons… just more evidence of Elon making the right moves.
Bobaloo
Elon might just save the republic. As usual, he's thinking decades down the road. The last 10 years has been brutal in this country in the arena of free speech and lies. I think we crossed the Rubicon during the Kav hearings. Accusing a legit guy of serial rape without a single shred of evidence and got away with it. Follow up with the COVID 'crisis'. Would we have ever known there was a pandemic if nobody told us? I suggest no. Now we aren't sure what a woman is. Some crazy stuff…
torrid
AG
HeardAboutPerio said:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/joe-biden-takes-elon-musk-twitters-new-content-moderation-spews-lies-all-across-world

Quote:

"Elon Musk goes out and buys an outlet that sends that spews lies all across the world," Biden remarked. "There are no editors anymore in America. There are no editors."

The president seemed to suggest there was no longer any moderation on Twitter, a claim echoed by several others on the platform who are also critical of Musk.

"How do we expect kids to be able to understand what is at stake? What is at stake? So there's a lot going on, a lot going on. But we have an enormous opportunity, enormous opportunity," Biden added.

Pushing all the right buttons… just more evidence of Elon making the right moves.
It was already a steaming pile of dog doo when he bought it. It seems to me he can only make it better.
TexAgs91
AG
Bobaloo said:

Now we aren't sure what a woman is.

We?
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
nortex97
AG
Exactly, this is why it's so fun to cheer other folks on when they are using their own money. All that can happen is an evil propagandist group of loser commies lose their jobs and the company goes away...or he succeeds and it becomes a platform that conservatives can actually joke/comment on.

Either way, I'm happy.

Also, maybe TA did the right thing leaving that vine thing up here so we can link to it. Supposedly they are going to bring that back at his direction.
WestAustinAg
AG
Incredible
YouBet
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

You can literally get 3:1 Indian:American for IT work in India. It's a no brainer for any true capitalist
Someone kind of beat me to it but you will get the inverse in quality if you do this. I know because I've lived it.
YouBet
AG
In other news, Elon announced they are going to start mass producing the cybertruck in 2023.
Rossticus
More lib tears

YouBet
AG
Not seeing what your friends post sounds like how Facebook worked before I quit that several years ago.
Sea Speed
AG
YouBet said:

Not seeing what your friends post sounds like how Facebook worked before I quit that several years ago.

Facebook is a place to follow friends and Twitter seems like a place to follow national or global interests, not just your buddy from down the street. IMHO of course. I dknt use either.
captkirk
AG
captkirk
AG
aggiehawg
AG
Wait, WUT?

They were selling blue checks?
fka ftc
That's going to leave a mark.

Black eye, skid mark, further eroded trust in team blue.

Elon really should change the color at this point. Blue has become the color of corruption and lies.
YouBet
AG
Oh, wow.
Ciboag96
The leftists house of blue check cards is collapsing spectacularly. Fake followers, like suppression and now blue check fraud. All the while manipulating mass morons to believe everything they've promoted while hiding logic.

**** them all
RED AG 98
AG
captkirk said:

titan
S

Excellent. Musk is implying he will do just that. List them so the anti-Left can act in boycott in turn.

He is so much better than the usual GOP not returning fire, not using the power they have. Its the difference between MAGAs and the GOP-E.

And he is a Center Liberal showing how it is done. Imagine that.
nai06
AG
captkirk said:

That person fundamentally misunderstands what the verification was supposed to be for.

It was never intended to be used to verify everyone and their buddies as real people. The whole point was to verify people who were a public figure, government official, celebrity, government entity, or who stood to have their identity stolen or duped on Twitter in order to take advantage of others. It was supposed to help combat fraud and misinformation. I don't know that @wsbchairman fits that bill.

Aside from that people still craved that blue checkmark as a status symbol (see wsbchairman). So there were people that sold blue checkmarks under the table. That was/is wrong because it undermines the entire point of the feature. It was never intended to be for everyone.

To actually be verified you have to submit your name, address, and a copy of a government photo I'd to Twitter so they could actually verify who you were.

But that's all gone out the window. The new Twitter Blue provides the blue checkmark without actually needing verification that a person is who they actually claim to be.

All this does is make blue checks irrelevant. It doesn't stop bots, trolls, or misinformation from being spread. It will probably boost revenues in the short term but it isn't going to do anything to address the current concerns being raised by advertisers.

Calling out companies in a "name and shame" campaign doesn't seem like a winning strategy to attract more advertisers either.

RED AG 98
AG
nai06 said:

All this does is make blue checks irrelevant. It doesn't stop bots, trolls, or misinformation from being spread. It will probably boost revenues in the short term but it isn't going to do anything to address the current concerns being raised by advertisers.

You think bots are going to pay money and post at the same scale they do for free now? The point of blue is that your content will be promoted and seen more, and the free users will be de-emphasized. It's a holy grail or anything and we'll see how it actually plays out, but on the surface it seems to be a clever idea.

But even if it's not I don't really care if it flops because Elon has made it clear he wants to be more transparent and to add new features that folks actually want. He ain't perfect but he is accessible to a degree that basically no other multi-billionaire on the planet is and seems to be actually trying to do something to improve the product and financial viability of the company.
TacosaurusRex
nai06 said:

captkirk said:

To actually be verified you have to submit your name, address, and a copy of a government photo I'd to Twitter so they could actually verify who you were.

This sounds incredibly racist.

/s
AustinAg2K
captkirk said:

Dude doesn't have a blue checkmark. How can I know if this is true?
YouBet
AG
nai06 said:

captkirk said:

That person fundamentally misunderstands what the verification was supposed to be for.

It was never intended to be used to verify everyone and their buddies as real people. The whole point was to verify people who were a public figure, government official, celebrity, government entity, or who stood to have their identity stolen or duped on Twitter in order to take advantage of others. It was supposed to help combat fraud and misinformation. I don't know that @wsbchairman fits that bill.

Aside from that people still craved that blue checkmark as a status symbol (see wsbchairman). So there were people that sold blue checkmarks under the table. That was/is wrong because it undermines the entire point of the feature. It was never intended to be for everyone.

But that's all gone out the window. The new Twitter Blue provides the blue checkmark without actually needing verification that a person is who they actually claim to be.

Calling out companies in a "name and shame" campaign doesn't seem like a winning strategy to attract more advertisers either.

I think it's a good bet that he's both monetizing the icon and addressing bots and trolls with a multi-layered approach.
sanangelo
AG
AustinAg2K said:

captkirk said:

In a The Atlantic article from 2012:

Quote:

While verified accounts aren't officially for sale, Twitter advertisers who spend a minimum of $15,000 over three months can get one, according to a media publisher who has been trying to get his magazine's account verified ... When he asked a Twitter sales rep who had been in contact with him how to go about it, she replied that the only paths to verification are if an account has had impersonation issues or is an advertiser who's spent at least $15,000 over three months.
The Atlantic: Twitter Verification Has a Price Tag (Jan. 10, 2012)

San Angelo LIVE!
https://sanangelolive.com/
sanangelo
AG
sanangelo said:

AustinAg2K said:

captkirk said:

In a The Atlantic article from 2012:

Quote:

While verified accounts aren't officially for sale, Twitter advertisers who spend a minimum of $15,000 over three months can get one, according to a media publisher who has been trying to get his magazine's account verified ... When he asked a Twitter sales rep who had been in contact with him how to go about it, she replied that the only paths to verification are if an account has had impersonation issues or is an advertiser who's spent at least $15,000 over three months.
The Atlantic: Twitter Verification Has a Price Tag (Jan. 10, 2012)

I doubt I'll get an answer. But it only costs $8 to try:

San Angelo LIVE!
https://sanangelolive.com/
YouBet
AG
Well, well, well. Guess all that faux outrage by the left was just that. What a shock.
fka ftc
nai06 said:

So what changed?

Making someone pay a recurring charge is actually a great way to verify someone. Bots do not sign up for recurring charges. Scammers don't shell out $8/mo across platforms as the scamming only works when executed broadly and through multiple accounts.

Obvious impersonations will meet a perma ban. That means a new credit card in someone else's name or similar to get your checkmark back.

To ensure it is who they say they are, credit card must match name on twitter account. If a conflict is brought up, have real person provide verification details as they do now.

Screaming this makes twitter less reliable is a turnkey DNC / left elitist talking point - that as usual defies logics and ignores facts.
YouBet
AG
fka ftc said:

nai06 said:

So what changed?

Making someone pay a recurring charge is actually a great way to verify someone. Bots do not sign up for recurring charges. Scammers don't shell out $8/mo across platforms as the scamming only works when executed broadly and through multiple accounts.

Obvious impersonations will meet a perma ban. That means a new credit card in someone else's name or similar to get your checkmark back.

To ensure it is who they say they are, credit card must match name on twitter account. If a conflict is brought up, have real person provide verification details as they do now.

Screaming this makes twitter less reliable is a turnkey DNC / left elitist talking point - that as usual defies logics and ignores facts.
It's also humorous to me that the left is crying about this when almost our entire economic system of services and products is evolving to a subscription model.

The left themselves are pushing this new world order with their "you will own nothing and be happier for it", but for some reason this lone service where you might have to pay an optional $8 for a Twitter tag is verboten.

Again, Elon entered their inner sanctum and blew it up and their hypocrisy and double standards are now visible for all to see. And there have been multiple examples of it from this single event, unsurprisingly, since the left's entire existence is a double standard.
nai06
AG
fka ftc said:

nai06 said:

So what changed?

Verifying someones identity via a credit card is a terrible idea.

If my wife and I were to pay to keep her verification (we aren't), we would use our business card. It's assigned to the name of our company and not her specifically. That's not going to do anything to verify who she actually is.

Aside from that, anyone can buy a prepaid visa debit card and use whatever name they like.

This doesn't remove bots either. Unless they restrict actually being able to tweet unless you pay, bots still exist. Bots will still reply to other people. When you click on a blue account, those bots will still be there in the replies mixed in with regular users.

Obvious impersonations don't meet the permaban now because there are so many. That's why verification exists. Easier to verify one person that to try and stop multiple fake accounts. This doesn't stop that.

Scammers will still exist because no matter how much Elon wants people to sign up for his service, the vast majority will still be free users. He can certainly prioritize Twitter Blue accounts, but the content those will provide has a limit. And that really one area he seems to be in the dark in. A lot of the content people come to Twitter for isn't from verified users. Content creators and average people interact regularly without blue checks. His experience with Twitter is probably very different. I imagine his personal feed is mostly verified users. So prioritizing Twitter Blue accounts will undoubtedly make his experience better but the same won't be true for many if not most users.

Ultimately he bought something he doesn't fully understand and is making changes to it because he can. He hasn't fully considered the effect those changes will have in the long run. If his goal is to allow people to say whatever they want on Twitter, he certainly can. But that will almost certainly drive a lot of people away from the content such a platform produces.
Teslag
AG
Merchants can filter prepaid credit cards. They have an electronic identifier marker.
Teslag
AG
I also like how a school teacher is claiming that Elon ****ing Musk doesn't understand a $44 billion purchase
nai06
AG
Teslag said:

I also like how a school teacher is claiming that Elon ****ing Musk doesn't understand a $44 billion purchase

He's certainly acting like he doesn't understand how Twitter works. They've already had to ask some of the people they have laid off come back to work.

A some point this country will learn that being rich doesn't make you smart or incapable of a bad business deal.

Look at all of the people that invested in Theranos

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.