Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,904 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
texaglurkerguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are we sure this isn't an elaborate pump and dump scheme, and that all the grandstanding about the fate of free speech isn't just a sideshow to feed the hype? With Elon I could honestly see it either way.
outofstateaggie
AG
sicandtiredTXN said:

Spoken like a true Marxist

Daddy-O5
AG
Wildmen06 said:

hmm... if it happens maybe ill have to sign up again.
+1. May not ever use it but I'll get my first social media account back aside from TexAgs.
BAP Enthusiast
YouBet said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

will25u said:

As expected, ESG trumps fiduciary duty now. This whole situation will prove it to everyone and force it out into the open. This has major potential of completely undermining the stock market as an investment tool. If this is now the norm, then your investment is now hostage to leftists that want control.

Yep, most just don't realize that yet. There was a group of CEOs that banded together pre-Covid that made an announcement that they would no longer be held accountable to traditional financial expectations for a company's success. It was largely ignored and forgotten about but it's real.

And ESG is the manifestation of that announcement. Now, Elon is at least putting that movement in the crosshairs with this bid so we shall see which way it goes. I'm skeptical any real, positive change will happen.

https://www.fiduciaryduty21.org/

Quote:

Fiduciary duties exist to ensure that those who manage other people's money act in their beneficiaries' interests, rather than serving their own interests. The manner in which fiduciary duty is defined has profound implications.

Some institutional investors believed that environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues were not relevant to portfolio value, and were therefore not consistent with their fiduciary duties. This assumption is no longer supported.

Decisions made by fiduciaries cascade down the investment chain affecting decision-making processes, ownership practices, and ultimately, the way in which companies are managed.

This project contributes an extensive evidence base to end the debate on whether fiduciary duty is a legitimate barrier to the integration of environmental, social and governance issues in investment practice and decision-making. Additionally, the roadmaps set out recommendations to fully embed the consideration of ESG factors in the fiduciary duties of investors across ten capital markets.

This is how these people think now. I don't know why anyone actually invests in the stock market anymore. It's a joke and your money means nothing. These people don't care about money and why would they when they can just print more? They want power and control.
will25u
texaglurkerguy said:

Are we sure this isn't an elaborate pump and dump scheme, and that all the grandstanding about the fate of free speech isn't just a sideshow to feed the hype? With Elon I could honestly see it either way.
If it is a pump and dump, it is not working. TWTR is almost back to pre hostile takeover levels. Only up 1.5% on the day.
Sims
AG
Starlink + Twitter in Musks hands could be a pretty powerful tool for access to public discourse.

Or it could by terrible. Who knows.

Regardless, I'm increasingly a Musk fan.
Hold on honey, there are people on the internet that are wrong.
Tex117
AG
Its going to be very hard for the Board not to take this deal or risk breaching their fiduciary duty.
will25u
agcrock2005
AG
GeorgiAg said:

actually, it will just be Trump tweeting mean things into everyone's brains.
And then you won't vote for him again...
Wabs
AG
It comes down the algorithms Twitter uses. They don't want Elon to have access to them or change them.
AGinHI
AG
outofstateaggie said:

sicandtiredTXN said:

Spoken like a true Marxist

Quote:

I am frightened by the impact on society and politics if Elon Musk acquires Twitter. He seems to believe that on social media anything goes. For democracy to survive, we need more content moderation, banning and censoring users and posts we don't agree with, including the truth, and manipulating content to promote our own ideology and sociopolitical influence, not less.
That's what he means.
Marcus Brutus
will25u said:

texaglurkerguy said:

If it is a pump and dump, it is not working. TWTR is almost back to pre hostile takeover levels. Only up 1.5% on the day.

I guess people are not confident it will happen. If not, then it should be on its way back to the 30s though since Musk will exit altogether.
Wabs
AG
Buy it and sell it to Trump for $1
SouthTex99
AG
rwpag71
AG
will25u said:

How long before they announce that grief counselors will be made available to employees?
texaglurkerguy
will25u said:

texaglurkerguy said:

I would imagine he started accumulating his stake when it was closer to $35, back when he started throwing out the tweets critical of Twitter in late March. The big jump happened when his stake got disclosed on April 4.

He made it pretty clear he'd exit his position if the offer wasn't accepted, and I'm somewhat doubtful it will be.
captkirk
AG
GeorgiAg said:

More content moderation??????

Trump broke Max Boot
Daddy-O5
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Does $2 gas come with it? If so I'm in, I'll continue to ignore the tweets and enjoy the cheap gas like an adult.
LSB_2002
AG
rwpag71 said:

will25u said:

How long before they announce that grief counselors will be made available to employees?
They're getting ready to jump off buildings as we speak! It's glorious!
GeorgiAg
AG
agcrock2005 said:

GeorgiAg said:

And then you won't vote for him again...
Trump will take over everyone's brain and he'll get 100% of the vote!!

nortex97
AG
SouthTex99 said:

The only thing I don't like is handing all these lib clowns $50B. Everything else is beautiful.
Sure, valid point. If it goes to zero dollars in worth, he will still be the richest guy in the world, apparently. So at least it is all just monopoly money to him (probably leveraging/borrowing half of the total).
The Collective
AG
Maybe Twitter will just destroy itself before Musk takes them over. We all win.
rgag12
AG
rwpag71 said:

will25u said:

They should announce that all employees can select an additional pronoun to use. That will calm them down
Womackster
AG
Wabs said:

It comes down the algorithms Twitter uses. They don't want Elon to have access to them or change them expose the fact that they aren't algorithms at all and when Twitter says algorithms it means an army of woke moderators deliberately shutting down contrarian accounts.

FIFY
Wabs
AG
Womackster said:

Wabs said:

It comes down the algorithms Twitter uses. They don't want Elon to have access to them or change them expose the fact that they aren't algorithms at all and when Twitter says algorithms it means an army of woke moderators deliberately shutting down contrarian accounts.

FIFY
Yes, true. Exposing the algorithms (or lack thereof) would destroy the Twitter they built.
BusterAg
AG
captkirk said:

GeorgiAg said:

More content moderation??????

Trump broke Max Boot
This sounds surprisingly like the head of the largest media company in Russia

smstork1007
AG
SouthTex99 said:

The only thing I don't like is handing all these lib clowns $50B. Everything else is beautiful.
Well he wouldn't be handing the lib clowns anything really. He is attempting to buy a public company, which means it's owned by shareholders. So its the current shareholders who he's giving his money too. But in reality, he is only giving them about 17% more than the current market price of $46.27, which they could sell at this very moment if they wanted to. Now a lot of the shareholders are libs, and by definition a clown, but all it would be doing is forcing them to sell what they already own.
HTownAg98
I find it interesting that people want Twitter to die, and yet there's over a dozen links to tweets posted here.
Rockdoc
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I find it interesting that people want Twitter to die, and yet there's over a dozen links to tweets posted here.

We don't want Twitter to die. We want the left's muzzle on free speech to die.
nortex97
AG
smstork1007 said:

SouthTex99 said:

Well he wouldn't be handing the lib clowns anything really. He is attempting to buy a public company, which means it's owned by shareholders. So its the current shareholders who he's giving his money too. But in reality, he is only giving them about 17% more than the current market price of $46.27, which they could sell at this very moment if they wanted to. Now a lot of the shareholders are libs, and by definition a clown, but all it would be doing is forcing them to sell what they already own.
That's true. I posted on the other thread, it's 80 percent institutionally owned.

There's some truth that Vanguard/Morgan Stanley/Blackrock etc. are run by liberals, but ultimately those are just…owned by people with retirement accounts, basically.

BusterAg
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I want Twitter, in its current politically biased form, to die.

Bringing free speech back to Twitter would accomplish that.
aggie93
AG
YouBet said:

Also, if he wins the leftists in Silicon Valley will simply launch Twitter Blue Team for the rest of the world to migrate to. And most of corporate America and all of media will jump ship to the new platform. Along with most of the rest of the planet of whom most are marxist morons. Companies are not going to spend resources supporting much more than 2-3 major platforms. It's similar to the mobile OS app wars in that regard.

Elon will be left with Parlor 2.0. It will fail over time.
Will never work. They could never build the brand Twitter has and gain credibility. It's like CNN+, just not that many hard core libs when the rubber meets the road. Musk would also give Twitter an edge and make it cool and fun again. I've jumped back on after more than a year of being off personally.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Marcus Brutus
aggie93 said:

YouBet said:

Also, if he wins the leftists in Silicon Valley will simply launch Twitter Blue Team for the rest of the world to migrate to. And most of corporate America and all of media will jump ship to the new platform. Along with most of the rest of the planet of whom most are marxist morons. Companies are not going to spend resources supporting much more than 2-3 major platforms. It's similar to the mobile OS app wars in that regard.

Elon will be left with Parlor 2.0. It will fail over time.
Will never work. They could never build the brand Twitter has and gain credibility. It's like CNN+, just not that many hard core libs when the rubber meets the road. Musk would also give Twitter an edge and make it cool and fun again. I've jumped back on after more than a year of being off personally.

I agree.
loveaTm
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

aggie93 said:

Albatross Necklace said:

Why would someone buy Twitter?

It's free on the App Store
Lots of ways to make money that don't involve selling the app, the key is having the users and activity then it is just a matter of finding creative ways to make money from having a massive audience.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess respondent is an engineer.
aggie93
AG
loveaTm said:

Albatross Necklace said:

aggie93 said:

Albatross Necklace said:

Why would someone buy Twitter?

It's free on the App Store
Lots of ways to make money that don't involve selling the app, the key is having the users and activity then it is just a matter of finding creative ways to make money from having a massive audience.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess respondent is an engineer.
My assumption was it was a critique of the fact Twitter loses a lot of money and has from the beginning, it's stock also has been flat ever since it went public. I get the joke but the reality is Twitter has not shown it can make the model profitable yet.

Oh, and I'm not an engineer.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.