Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,907 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeLaHonta said:

You must not follow Elon very closely if you don't think he is obsessed with getting attention.

I'm not sure you follow anything closely judging by your posts.
bthotugigem05
AG
Elon had been posting that something didn't smell right about Twitter in the months leading up to his offer. He's the only person alive who has the ability to do the following:

• Doubt Twitter's user count of actual humans
  • Make an offer that TWTR's board cannot refuse
  • Get into the sharing of information that is typical after an acquisition
  • If Twitter's user count claims check out, buy the company as promised in a free speech move
  • If Twitter's user count claims do not check out, back out for free and claim deliberate obfuscation of SEC disclosures, destroying TWTR on the way out
MouthBQ98
AG
If you don't think he is intelligent and goal oriented and has a purpose for his actions, I don't know what to say. It might not be one that may people agree with, but the guy does seem to be purpose and goal driven. He has a rationale for what he is doing.
cecil77
AG
Oh he enjoys the attention, but that's just a bonus. Money is the only score that counts.
. . .
techno-ag
AG
DeLaHonta said:

It's hilarious watching Elon try to weasel his way out of a deal he made for attention while high. What kind of moron waives due diligence when making a $44 billion acquisition? Buyer's remorse is a B, especially when it's for $44 billion.
Dude … this is the due diligence.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
jh0400
AG
techno-ag said:

DeLaHonta said:

It's hilarious watching Elon try to weasel his way out of a deal he made for attention while high. What kind of moron waives due diligence when making a $44 billion acquisition? Buyer's remorse is a B, especially when it's for $44 billion.

Diligence has phases. This is what should be confirmatory due diligence, but it appears that Musk didn't perform preliminary due diligence beyond what was in the public domain. Most likely, this is because the TWTR board couldn't get comfortable with disclosing more to his team without a deal that has significant penalties should he fail to close.
techno-ag
AG
jh0400 said:

techno-ag said:

DeLaHonta said:

Diligence has phases. This is what should be confirmatory due diligence, but it appears that Musk didn't perform preliminary due diligence beyond what was in the public domain. Most likely, this is because the TWTR board couldn't get comfortable with disclosing more to his team without a deal that has significant penalties should he fail to close.
Eh. That sounds like hairsplitting.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
bthotugigem05
AG
It is pretty common practice for mergers and acquisitions (especially hostile ones), not unusual at all.
jh0400
AG
Not hairsplitting at all. It's the way non-friendly deals for public cos are done.
aezmvp
A lot of the releases over the last two weeks seem to be pretty twitter friendly. Additionally I think it's clear they don't want to release this data because the number is probably closer to 30% or even higher. If it is then their SEC filings even though they say "might be higher" are bunk. It's a ton of exposure and I'm certain that Elon had inside info on this from @Jack.
will25u
Old McDonald
what I wonder is to what extent the amount of bots on Twitter is already baked into its value. Elon is far from the first person to point out the bot problem, it's why advertisers pay for engagement on social media platforms and not number of followers/likes/etc.

my theory is he bit off more than he could chew here and is trying to save face while backing out, but we'll see
samurai_science
Old McDonald said:

what I wonder is to what extent the amount of bots on Twitter is already baked into its value. Elon is far from the first person to point out the bot problem, it's why advertisers pay for engagement on social media platforms and not number of followers/likes/etc.

my theory is he bit off more than he could chew here and is trying to save face while backing out, but we'll see
LOL, your theory is funny.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Old McDonald said:

The worlds richest and possibly smartest man bit off more than he could chew, huh.

Next time, he should probably run things by the Old Macdonald brain trust first. Save himself the embarrassment.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
Squadron7
AG
Old McDonald said:

My theory is that he will either get Twitter at a cheaper price or cause the board more trouble than they will be able to handle.
akm91
AG
Old McDonald said:

"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
rednecked
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Old McDonald said:

The worlds richest and possibly smartest man bit off more than he could chew, huh.

Next time, he should probably run things by the Old Macdonald brain trust first. Save himself the embarrassment.
will25u
Proc92
They must have figured out a way to hide the truth.
aggiehawg
AG
Proc92 said:

They must have figured out a way to hide the truth.
Hired people to pretend to be the owners of the bit accounts?
richardag
With this amount of Elon Musk's money on the line, I would think he already knows how many bots there are and likely the source of many of the bots.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
jh0400
AG
They probably received feedback from counsel that should the deal fall through they will have a disclosure issue going forward. A lower price from Elon is still likely better than that alternative.
hph6203
AG
All I read out of that is they're admitting they weren't being transparent before.
. . .
https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-to-attend-all-hands-meeting-at-twitter-2022-6

Meanwhile…

Agthatbuilds
techno-ag
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Would one say ... they are self-censoring?

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
will25u
agent-maroon
AG
will25u said:

What does "firehose of user data" mean?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
javajaws
AG
agent-maroon said:

will25u said:

What does "firehose of user data" mean?
Supposedly some unrestricted API that lets them pull whatever data they want. Presumably to run analytics on it to detect fake accounts, etc.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
cecil77
AG

Quote:

Twitter is preparing to grant Elon Musk unprecedented access to platform data in an effort to address his concerns about automated accounts, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday. Citing a person familiar with the company's thinking, the report says Twitter is preparing to give Musk access to the so-called "firehose" API that contains every tweet as it is posted.

agent-maroon
AG
Thank you!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieMD95
AG
richardag said:

With this amount of Elon Musk's money on the line, I would think he already knows how many bots there are and likely the source of many of the bots.

DNC
CIA
Putin
Willie_Mac
AG
AggieMD95 said:

richardag said:

DNC
CIA
Putin
plus Saudis

Remember the Kingdom owns over $1.0B shares of Twitter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.