Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,915 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
will25u said:

This is called a backfire. Better to let it be unknown you own any of it, or at least underreported. Just got a megaphone with that respect. Oops.
Fat Black Swan
AG
will25u said:

You know Tubberville reads the Political Talk board on TigerDroppings.
bthotugigem05
AG
will25u said:

I don't know how hostile takeovers really work in regards to the SEC. What basis would the SEC have issues with him acquiring Twitter?
The SEC will primarily be looking at the timeline of events around this offer and public statements/tweets to see if anything improper was disclosed.

Basically they'll be looking to see if any of Elon's statements could have led directly to insider trading.
aggie93
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Twitter unregulated will be trash. Have you ever been to 4chan/politically incorrect? Basically every other word is the n word and almost all threads bash the jews.
I don't get the impression that Musk wants a complete free for all, he just wants a free speech platform with consistent rules that are not based around ideology or subjectivity. For instance you could have a rule that you can't use the "n"word and that doesn't really impact free speech so long as it is applied equally. The problem with Twitter is it applies standards very subjectively and inconsistently by using very loose terms like "hateful" as a basis for banning people.

In the end the best way to fix the issue is more speech not less. If you have someone come out and say something bashing jews for instance then you can have 1000 people that decry them and make fun of them for doing so. Or you can have debate and discussion. Or most of all you can have people simply not follow that person and not see it at all. It's not like Texags or 4Chan where you have a message board, you only see and follow people you want to see and follow for the most part and it is very easy to ignore people you don't like.

Musk is a very smart guy who knows how to surround himself with other smart people, it's a very solvable problem.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
1836er
AG
I love that he's making these tweets today, on Twitter. He'll probably have to unban himself when he takes over, LOL.
Retired FBI Agent
fka ftc said:

Retired FBI Agent said:

Dr. Patel coming in hot.

Lot of innuendo in this post. What Patel is saying that at $69 it would be more mutually beneficiating fellating.

Elon is the one who came in hot, coming up on Twitter's six. And not even the courtesy of... okay, moving on.
I see what you did here.

And it's DOCTOR Patel!
https://tips.fbi.gov/
1-800-225-5324
nortex97
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Twitter unregulated will be trash. Have you ever been to 4chan/politically incorrect? Basically every other word is the n word and almost all threads bash the jews.
I am just shocked you are siding with the political left today.
Kenneth_2003
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Soooo....

In Twitters case, the only change will be the level of regulation. It's already trash.
BQ_90
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I will say my 13 year old is obsessed with Elon Musk. His current essay topic in his English class is why he is the most important man in the 21st century.

And he isn't the only teen boy that is fascinated with him. Hear discussions on him at Scout meetings and read them on discord when my ass got kicked by 4 teen boys in Minecraft.

The left needs to be careful. Stuff like this could lose half of a generation. I don't even know what his generation is called.

Generation no tv?
I think Elon can be considered the modern day Howard Hughes.
Actual Talking Thermos
It is very, very funny to me that the wealthiest man in the world, who can have all the finest things money can buy, who can go anywhere he wants in the world any day he chooses, who can have any experience at any time… that guy is terminally online, completely obsessed with Twitter, and wants to be a beloved memelord SO BADLY.
hph6203
AG
GeorgiAg said:

That's a narrative driven by individuals that advocate for censorship. The intent of Musk is not to entirely deregulate Twitter, his intention is to err on the side of no regulation than towards excessive regulation.
-Tagging articles as disinformation would be an example of overregulation.
-Deprioritizing or banning discussions of COVID information would be another.
-Banning information from being distributed like the NY Post article before the election about Hunter Biden's laptop.
-Permanently banning people for misgendering individuals.
-Permanently banning people for merely being mean, not extending into harassment.

Basically have faith that enough people in society have enough discernment of what's true to actually allow it to bubble to the surface. Lies travel fast and they die fast, truth endures.
TarponChaser
GeorgiAg said:

So what?

Yes, it's offensive but you're free to block it or not look at it.
Keegan99
AG
GeorgiAg said:

There is a distinction between unregulated and transparently regulated.

The problem with Twitter today is that The Babylon Bee can get the banhammer for an article mocking a dude that pretends to be a woman, while leftists escape unscathed for calling for the death of conservatives.

(Just look at the responses to any DeSantis or Abbott tweet if one wants to see the sort of vile leftist content that doesn't bother Twitter in the least.)
Wabs
AG
ActualTalkingThermos said:

It is very, very funny to me that the wealthiest man in the world, who can have all the finest things money can buy, who can go anywhere he wants in the world any day he chooses, who can have any experience at any time… that guy is terminally online, completely obsessed with Twitter, and wants to be a beloved memelord SO BADLY.
Maybe he just likes to watch leftists squirm. That's worth more than any amount of money could buy.
tysker
AG
Quote:

Basically every other word is the n word and almost all threads bash the jews.
So its just like genius.com?
TexAgs91
AG

wow... that's a pretty short sighted take on today's events. Read more, post less.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
will25u
Musk said that he wanted to put the algorithm out there for all to see and propose changes. Like on GitHub. Open source.

And to err on the side of not regulating speech in the grey area.
Science Denier
AG
Pinche Guero said:

Hostile takeover, figured this was coming when he turned down the board seat. If he offered 25% over market value, doesn't the board have an obligation to its shareholders to seriously consider it.
Insiders probably own enough to block it. These guys are in it for the power, not the money. I don't think this will work, but I've been wrong before.
LOL OLD
tysker
AG
hph6203 said:

will25u said:

This is called a backfire. Better to let it be unknown you own any of it, or at least underreported. Just got a megaphone with that respect. Oops.
Musk better watch out or he'll be Khashoggi'ed
Actual Talking Thermos
TexAgs91 said:

wow... that's a pretty short sighted take on today's events. Read more, post less.
it's not just a take on today's events, it's a take on the last several years of Elon being Elon on Twitter

Also that time Azealia Banks talked about being flown out to his place in LA ostensibly to collaborate on a song with Grimes only to find the two of them on drugs trying to have a threesome with her and Elon melting down because he foolishly got on Twitter in the midst of an acid trip and was reading all these comments from people hating on him. Also she said Grimes "smells like a bag of nickels" which is endlessly hilarious to me for reasons I can't quite explain
will25u
Fat Black Swan
AG
will25u said:

Musk said that he wanted to put the algorithm out there for all to see and propose changes. Like on GitHub. Open source.

And to err on the side of not regulating speech in the grey area.

There's going to be a huge backlash to any sort of consistently applied algorithm. Apparently it's difficult to teach an algorithm that it's impossible for individuals from protected classes to engage in hate speech.

Every hate speech algorithm so far has tagged tweets from underrepresented groups at a rate of 2+:1 because they allegedly reflect the inherent biases of the people who created them.
aggiedata
AG
In honor of the trolls on this thread

Actual Talking Thermos
Like see the share price offer ending in 420 is 100% him memelording

He lost his title as CEO of Tesla over making a different 420 stock joke on twitter a while back
4stringAg
AG
The DOJ/SEC looking into Tesla is straight out of Hussein's playbook (i.e. weaponizing the IRS to go after Tea Party organizations and those that support conservatives)
tysker
AG
Quote:

Grimes "smells like a bag of nickels"
So like Peter Griffin nutshots?
bmks270
AG
Twitter doesn't use an algorithm to promote trending topics, they just promote what aligns with their politics.
Foreverconservative
It's glorious to watch these woke idiots melt down publicly to the point that they are willing to scuttle the company financially to keep Musk from taking over, which is what this poison pill strategy would do. The Marxist Dedication to keeping their movement alive.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Ol_Ag_02
AG

Why does the left hate Elon so much? He's literally plotting to take over Twitter to then leave everyone alone. Surely its not because you only like free speech when it's controlled, limited, and filtered by those who share your agenda.
samurai_science
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Why does the left hate Elon so much? He's literally plotting to take over Twitter to then leave everyone alone. Surely its not because you only like free speech when it's controlled, limited, and filtered by those who share your agenda.
They are against freedom of speech because they have to hear the other side. They only care about their team winning. It's that simple.
GeorgiAg
AG
When is the next twitter meeting? Last I heard was 5 pm.
Actual Talking Thermos
Ol_Ag_02 said:

dude I use Twitter to read silly little jokes, I don't give a **** about the political agenda of current or potential future ownership. I do find Elon Musk's very real Twitter obsession funny.
aezmvp
GeorgiAg said:

When is the next twitter meeting? Last I heard was 5 pm.
2 PM PST.
captkirk
AG
TexAgs91
AG

Ol_Ag_02 said:

dude I use Twitter to read silly little jokes, I don't give a **** about the political agenda of current or potential future ownership. I do find Elon Musk's very real Twitter obsession funny.
So you're not really up on everything else twitter is used for? Read more, post less.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.