Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,867 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
fka ftc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nai06 said:

Teslag said:

I also like how a school teacher is claiming that Elon ****ing Musk doesn't understand a $44 billion purchase

He's certainly acting like he doesn't understand how Twitter works. They've already had to ask some of the people they have laid off come back to work.
Source on asking people to come back?

Also, as another poster mentioned, you can block prepaid cards.

And you may want to learn how your "business" credit card works. You do NOT have credit in the name of your business. You have a credit card tied to either you or your wife's PERSONAL credit and SSN that is branded as a business card with your company name printed on it.

Its truly amazing you do not understand that.

For future reference, actual credit/debt requires some verification of identity, tied to a person, who in almost all cases has provided a SSN.
Teslag
AG
Elon isn't just some random venture capitalist buying a fast food chain. He's got four incredibly successful multi billon dollar ventures under his belt and is the richest man in the world.
Krautag81
YouBet said:

Oh, wow.
How ironic, blue to red!
fka ftc
nai06 said:

Teslag said:

I also like how a school teacher is claiming that Elon ****ing Musk doesn't understand a $44 billion purchase

He's certainly acting like he doesn't understand how Twitter works. They've already had to ask some of the people they have laid off come back to work.

A some point this country will learn that being rich doesn't make you smart or incapable of a bad business deal.

Look at all of the people that invested in Theranos
It takes someone completely NOT smart to question even for a second the intelligence of Elon Musk.

He is proving to be one of the ultra rare truly intelligent human in a generation.
nai06
AG
fka ftc said:

nai06 said:

Teslag said:

A some point this country will learn that being rich doesn't make you smart or incapable of a bad business deal.

It takes someone completely NOT smart to question even for a second the intelligence of Elon Musk.

He is proving to be one of the ultra rare truly intelligent human in a generation.

Sure bud. That's there are so many cyber trucks driving around right now. He makes 0 mistakes.
fka ftc
nai06 said:

fka ftc said:

nai06 said:

Teslag said:

Sure bud. That's there are so many cyber trucks driving around right now. He makes 0 mistakes.
Learn how a business credit card works before you make jokes... bud.
Teslag
AG
The cyber truck is delayed therefore Tesla is a failure.

Brilliant take
Jack Ruby
I frankly don't care if he runs twitter into the ground or makes it a truly neutral space for public discourse. Either outcome is perfect for me.
BIMS O1
AG
Your assertion is no business credit cards are tied to the business tax ID/credit rating?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fka ftc
Teslag said:

Brilliant take
Its utter top notch irony that a leftist wants a battery powered green energy transport vehicle to fail based on their assumed political beliefs of the part owner of a publicly traded company.

But they never see the irony, or really the disingenuous nature of their "beliefs".
fka ftc
BIMS O1 said:

Your assertion is no business credit cards are tied to the business tax ID/credit rating?
That assertion would be correct.

Larger businesses may have a charge cards or purchase cards (p-cards) that are tied to a businesses "credit", but this has become less typical in my experience.
BIMS O1
AG
Not sure what "large" is, but I have one and am a small business owner. Your experience is different than mine. I don't disagree on some of your other points, but think you are off on this one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aezmvp
BIMS O1 said:

worked in banking can confirm some business cards are tied to the business tax ID and credit rating.
Teslag
AG
fka ftc said:

Teslag said:

Brilliant take
Its utter top notch irony that a leftist wants a battery powered green energy transport vehicle to fail based on their assumed political beliefs of the part owner of a publicly traded company.

But they never see the irony, or really the disingenuous nature of their "beliefs".

You are underestimating how much liberals hate the principle of free speech.
BadMoonRisin
AG
fka ftc
aezmvp said:

BIMS O1 said:

worked in banking can confirm some business cards are tied to the business tax ID and credit rating.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/credit-cards/do-business-credit-cards-affect-personal-credit-score#

Quote:

That's because card issuers typically rely on your personal credit for approval, even on business cards. Most also require a personal guarantee that says you'll repay the debt if your business fails, so your personal credit history helps issuers assess their risk.
Apply for a business card without your name and ssn and let me know the results. I laid out the exceptions which are truly exceptions for most people's experience with "business credit cards".

Tax ID is used to verify the identity of the business.

Most businesses are / were rated for their "credit" by D&B, which is a total sham operation and would be a giant derail here, but happy to discuss elsewhere.

I have a business credit card for a business that is just an LLC. Doesn't even have its own bank account. No revenues, no expenses. Just a tax ID number. If I charge on that card and fail to pay, that debt is not going to die within the LLC.
i is smart
AG
These morons on Twitter are incredibly easy marks for trolling. Read the comments.

taxpreparer
AG
nai06 said:

fka ftc said:

nai06 said:

That person fundamentally misunderstands what the verification was supposed to be for.

It was never intended to be used to verify everyone and their buddies as real people. The whole point was to verify people who were a public figure, government official, celebrity, government entity, or who stood to have their identity stolen or duped on Twitter in order to take advantage of others. It was supposed to help combat fraud and misinformation. I don't know that @wsbchairman fits that bill.

To actually be verified you have to submit your name, address, and a copy of a government photo I'd to Twitter so they could actually verify who you were.

But that's all gone out the window. The new Twitter Blue provides the blue checkmark without actually needing verification that a person is who they actually claim to be.

So what changed?

Making someone pay a recurring charge is actually a great way to verify someone. Bots do not sign up for recurring charges. Scammers don't shell out $8/mo across platforms as the scamming only works when executed broadly and through multiple accounts.

Obvious impersonations will meet a perma ban. That means a new credit card in someone else's name or similar to get your checkmark back.

To ensure it is who they say they are, credit card must match name on twitter account. If a conflict is brought up, have real person provide verification details as they do now.

Screaming this makes twitter less reliable is a turnkey DNC / left elitist talking point - that as usual defies logics and ignores facts.

Verifying someones identity via a credit card is a terrible idea.

If my wife and I were to pay to keep her verification (we aren't), we would use our business card. It's assigned to the name of our company and not her specifically. That's not going to do anything to verify who she actually is.

Aside from that, anyone can buy a prepaid visa debit card and use whatever name they like.

This doesn't remove bots either. Unless they restrict actually being able to tweet unless you pay, bots still exist. Bots will still reply to other people. When you click on a blue account, those bots will still be there in the replies mixed in with regular users.

Obvious impersonations don't meet the permaban now because there are so many. That's why verification exists. Easier to verify one person that to try and stop multiple fake accounts. This doesn't stop that.

Scammers will still exist because no matter how much Elon wants people to sign up for his service, the vast majority will still be free users. He can certainly prioritize Twitter Blue accounts, but the content those will provide has a limit. And that really one area he seems to be in the dark in. A lot of the content people come to Twitter for isn't from verified users. Content creators and average people interact regularly without blue checks. His experience with Twitter is probably very different. I imagine his personal feed is mostly verified users. So prioritizing Twitter Blue accounts will undoubtedly make his experience better but the same won't be true for many if not most users.

Ultimately he bought something he doesn't fully understand and is making changes to it because he can. He hasn't fully considered the effect those changes will have in the long run. If his goal is to allow people to say whatever they want on Twitter, he certainly can. But that will almost certainly drive a lot of people away from the content such a platform produces.

The IRS requires a credit card to set up an online account. A debit card does not qualify. I do not have an online account with them for that reason.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
YouBet
AG
nai06 said:

fka ftc said:

nai06 said:

Teslag said:

This is a really bad take considering how successful he's been elsewhere with multiple businesses. You are collating intelligence with the serial entrepreneur mindset that logs failures almost as a necessary point in their journey.

IOW, cybertruck being delayed has nothing to do with his intelligence which, by the way, was announced this week as going to full production in 2023.

Personally, I think they look ridiculous, but that doesn't really mean anything.
Ag with kids
AG
fka ftc said:

nai06 said:

Teslag said:

Source on asking people to come back?

Also, as another poster mentioned, you can block prepaid cards.

And you may want to learn how your "business" credit card works. You do NOT have credit in the name of your business. You have a credit card tied to either you or your wife's PERSONAL credit and SSN that is branded as a business card with your company name printed on it.

Its truly amazing you do not understand that.

For future reference, actual credit/debt requires some verification of identity, tied to a person, who in almost all cases has provided a SSN.
True.

I have a number of business cards, all with my name on them as well as my LLC's name.
Ag with kids
AG
BIMS O1 said:

My business cards all needed my LLC EIN.

They all are also in my name - printed on the card.
will25u
pacecar02
Elon has a track record of seeing value and direction of assets and leading those companies to success

Ray Crock was similar in that regard

I think Elon has a generally clear direction he intends to take the company. Eventually it will go public again.
BAP Enthusiast
Sea Speed said:

YouBet said:

Not seeing what your friends post sounds like how Facebook worked before I quit that several years ago.

Facebook is a place to follow friends and Twitter seems like a place to follow national or global interests, not just your buddy from down the street. IMHO of course. I dknt use either.

I don't give a flying **** about verification. I only follow accounts I find interesting, almost all of which are not verified. This is a terrible idea.
Premium
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Sea Speed said:

YouBet said:

Not seeing what your friends post sounds like how Facebook worked before I quit that several years ago.

Facebook is a place to follow friends and Twitter seems like a place to follow national or global interests, not just your buddy from down the street. IMHO of course. I dknt use either.

I don't give a flying **** about verification. I only follow accounts I find interesting, almost all of which are not verified. This is a terrible idea.

They will monetize if they have followers and will still be around despite the steep cost of $8
BAP Enthusiast

Looks like Japanese Twitter has confirmed the "trending" was entirely artificial and none of it was real, at all.
BAP Enthusiast
Premium said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Sea Speed said:

YouBet said:

They will monetize if they have followers and will still be around despite the steep cost of $8

Most of the accounts are dissident accounts, the odds of them giving money to get verified are low. They trust very few people with access to their money.
Sea Speed
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Sea Speed said:

YouBet said:

I'm simply stating what the general use of each platform is currently, from someone who uses neither, although I do use the marketplace feature as a 21st century Craigslist.
TheEternalPessimist
Someone explain to me why Kyle Rittenhouse has over 600K followers, and despite multiple requests, he is not verified on Twitter? But "reporters" with Rolling Stone, Vox, the New York Times, and WaPo with far less followers are.

--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Elon already making improvements
RED AG 98
AG
There are high school recruits that are verified. It's always been about who will vouch for you or if you choose to put up some money.
fullback44
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Touchless
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

This can't be real. Absolutely hilarious if true, but I wouldn't have pictured Elon going that particular route.
titan
S

It sure would be accurate and apt. But its got to be a prank.
RED AG 98
AG
There are quite a few "clues" in that guys timeline, in case you are not certain:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.