Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,873 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
Actual Talking Thermos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Actual Talking Thermos
For the record I think most likely Twitter will not just break completely and go offline. I also think this is objectively terrible management we're seeing.
nai06
AG
Actual Talking Thermos said:

For the record I think most likely Twitter will not just break completely and go offline. I also think this is objectively terrible management we're seeing.

Agthatbuilds
FTAG 2000
AG

eh. disagree on the bad management thing. this was basically a hostile takeover where all the employees were arguably propagandizing the world. true believers. going to take Elon time to weed out the globalist / DNC bourgeoisie
jt2hunt
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

eh. disagree on the bad management thing. this was basically a hostile takeover where all the employees were arguably propagandizing the world. true believers. going to take Elon time to weed out the globalist / DNC bourgeoisie
Rossticus
I will say that Twitter MFA isn't currently working. At least not for me. Just requested an archive of my data which requires authentication and I'm getting nothing despite repeated SMS requests. Could be unique to me at the moment. Could be indicative of a larger issue. No idea.
Actual Talking Thermos
FTAG 2000 said:

He didn't take over against the wishes of the board. They wanted the sale to go through, he didn't. The hostile takeover was the prior investors taking Elon's $44b against his will after he backed himself into a corner and whatever plan he had to wiggle out fizzled completely.
Charpie
AG
It's been down all week
Yukon Cornelius
AG
I don't think many of y'all have been apart of company take overs. Usually 90% staff overturn happens. Over a longer period of time but why wait here. Lot of predictions being made about how this will play out. I'm willing to bet most people are wrong. It's far better to rid the company of these people if they will be against you now than later.
WoMD
There's a reason that when someone buys a small business they don't rehire any of the previous staff, and hire all their own people. I learned this the hard way. I retained everyone, and it bit me in the ass. I was young and naive, and still believed in ideals that aren't realistic. Ended up having to deal with some cancer from the previous ownership I wasn't aware of, and it took over a year to work through it all, with some financial hits as a result that took years to build back from. Losing some great employees would've been worth avoiding the massive headaches of dealing with the fallout of keeping cancer within the ranks. Often completely cleaning house is the only way to fix a broken company. Yes, you always take a financial hit up front, but long term it's the only way to build something on a solid foundation that can grow greater than it could have otherwise.
WoMD
Yukon Cornelius said:

I don't think many of y'all have been apart of company take overs. Usually 90% staff overturn happens. Over a longer period of time but why wait here. Lot of predictions being made about how this will play out. I'm willing to bet most people are wrong. It's far better to rid the company of these people if they will be against you now than later.

Exactly. All it takes is one or two bad apples who prefer how things used to be to turn the whole thing to ***** Clean house and deal with the short term pain to actually build a winner, instead of a slow burn that never ends otherwise. It's literally cutting cancer instead of allowing it to fester and spread and kill from within. To assure you take out all the cancerous cells you have to cut some healthy tissue around it to make sure you got it all. Don't leave any seeds behind.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Yep. Nature of the beast
Ellis Wyatt

Terrible management was silencing free speech and alienating half the country while simultaneously paying people way more than they were worth and paying them for dong nothing whatsoever. There are going to be a lot of worthless "employees" waking up tomorrow and having to figure out how to pay the bills without doing anything. It's a lot tougher when you aren't falsifying metrics and stealing from advertisers.

Too bad none of these folks have an ounce of integrity.
Ellis Wyatt
Apart or a part?
FrioAg 00
AG
Twitter could cut it's really users in half, lose half its add revenue and STILL be a much better business because Elon runs off all the terrible wastes of employees

Remember this is a company overrun by communists -the vast majority don't do anything productive yet their compensation is huge.

He could probably run the tech with a few hundred people, and he'd be fine with the majority of those being new to Twitter
AgResearch
AG
Some overshadowed employees are about to rise to the top. Sit back and let the idiots walk out and then step up to take their place.
Teslag
AG
Never bet against Elon. He's simply smarter and better at this than you are.
RED AG 98
AG
RED AG 98
AG
I read this and think oh yeah I can see it. Homefield is onto something here:

And literally 5 minutes later:
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Twitter is owned by an African-American.
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
will25u

Charpie
AG
Twitter still up and running
Actual Talking Thermos
lol his next big idea is literally implementing shadowbanning

Charpie
AG
As is being pointed out by many on twitter, what he's proposing is the opposite of free speech.

So either he's caving to the libs...or he's caving to the libs
aggieforester05
AG
Maybe this time around the standards will be applied more evenly. Libs will start to see their massive amounts of negative and hate filled tweets downgraded. Their never ending flow of lies may be fact checked as well using actual facts instead of leftist narratives.
justcallmeharry
S
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
Ag with kids
AG

Ah...

Negative/hate tweets (which your side ****ing HATED until recently) are now going to be treated the way right leaning tweets were treated...and the right leaning tweets won't be...

I can see why you're upset now.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Also, it says that this will be enforced on tweets, not accounts.
Ag with kids
AG
Charpie said:

As is being pointed out by many on twitter, what he's proposing is the opposite of free speech.

So either he's caving to the libs...or he's caving to the libs
No. Before...many of those posts were completely blocked so that no one could see them.

Now, they're still available, but just not right up front. You can still see what they posted. Unlike Twitter's previous policy which eliminated your ability to see them.

Free speech doesn't mean you have to put it up on your billboard...
i is smart
AG
WoMD said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

Exactly. All it takes is one or two bad apples who prefer how things used to be to turn the whole thing to ***** Clean house and deal with the short term pain to actually build a winner, instead of a slow burn that never ends otherwise. It's literally cutting cancer instead of allowing it to fester and spread and kill from within. To assure you take out all the cancerous cells you have to cut some healthy tissue around it to make sure you got it all. Don't leave any seeds behind.

Yep, it's obvious who hasn't been involved in company takeovers when you read their comments. There's absolutely nothing surprising about the trickling layoffs and resignations.
Teslag
AG

That's not shadowbanning
J. Walter Weatherman

Agreed, it's definitely not shadowbanning. For most people twitter isn't like IG or Facebook and your timeline is people that you have chosen to follow. If someone wants to follow an idiot like Kathy Griffin they can do so and they will see every one of her tweets, even ones that would be regarded as hate speech. Posts that violate the terms with regard to hate speech just won't be promoted to the wider audience. They can say everything they want on the platform, but people will need to choose to listen to it.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Elon and Trump got the same treatment

Prior to 2015 everybody in the world loved Trump. He was on every talk show. He was one of the most popular and well liked people alive. Business school professors had his book on their syllabus. If you ask somebody in Europe or Asia to name a American businessman they'd say Donald Trump. They would't have to speak English and still say Trump.

Elon is getting treated the same way.

Prior to covid, Elon was a genius and every ****bird alive praised Elon. He could do no wrong.

Since this twitter deal was announced, now everybody hate Elon.
TexAgs91
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Since this twitter deal was announced, now everybody hate Elon.
Depends on who you listen to. He seems to be getting a lot of love from everyone I know and Twitter usage is going up.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.