Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

289,736 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by TRADUCTOR
TacosaurusRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag87H2O said:

will25u said:

"... regular 10pm meeting ..."

This dude is a machine. Reminds me of the hours Trump kept in the White House.

Not to take anything away from this, but a lot of the Raptor team is on the west coast. My cousin is an engineer on the project and I love talking about it with him.
TacosaurusRex
Shared on another thread, but very interesting.

agent-maroon
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/26/1094870294/why-one-writer-questions-whether-musk-is-the-right-fit-for-twitter

Please please please listen to this 4 minute interview.

It would fill a city's worth of mug with liberal tears
The lefties lost any & all claim to the benign stewardship of free speech the instant they banned President Trump from the platform. This cannot be understated IMO.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Keegan99
AG
Or it's just a shift of users coming and going.
StandUpforAmerica
My Pillow guy is back.

TexAgs91
AG
StandUpforAmerica said:

My Pillow guy is back.

OMG that guy is annoying. But I'm glad he's got the right to speak again.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
BlueTaze
TacosaurusRex said:

So what is the theory here? TWTR algos trying to shape a narrative that the right is being "turned up" and left "turned down"? Are they trying to mobilize the left against twitter and paint it as a right wing echo chamber?

Musk has no influence or control until shareholders approve the merger and the transaction is closed. There is still maybe a 5% chance a gov alphabet mucks up the deal. My guess is this is comings and goings on the news.
TacosaurusRex
BlueTaze said:

TacosaurusRex said:

So what is the theory here? TWTR algos trying to shape a narrative that the right is being "turned up" and left "turned down"? Are they trying to mobilize the left against twitter and paint it as a right wing echo chamber?

Musk has no influence or control until shareholders approve the merger and the transaction is closed. There is still maybe a 5% chance a gov alphabet mucks up the deal. My guess is this is comings and goings on the news.

I think what you're saying about influence is false. Just look at the videos coming out today of twitters "internal" meetings. This was being discussed because of the moves made by current twiiter employees, like locking source codes today. Sure, it could be explained by excitement, but large right wing accounts are all reporting massive engagement increases.

The conspiracy theory is that they rolled back certain algos that tampered with accounts.
hph6203
AG
Angry libs temporarily deactivate accounts until they go through heinous withdrawals. Excited conservatives sign up to mock angry libs and follow big conservative names. The numbers relative to follower counts is not that crazy. You're talking 1% of followers for these accounts.
Not a Bot
AG
My conspiracy theory:

You, as an individual, could choose to follow whomever you wanted. However, if that person was persona non grata such as Ron DeSantis, the public and perhaps DeSantis himself would not have seen that you followed him. When he tweeted something, you would not necessarily see it on your timeline. It's a way of suppressing and influencing trending topics.

If they have turned off that feature, then the public follow counts increasing for conservative voices makes much more sense. People inside Twitter could be scrambling to adjust algorithm so that when more independent people come in and examine the structure, it will seem more fair.

What I am not understanding is how the left has lost so many people. I have a long suspected people like AOC have been followed by a tremendous number of bots, but I think there was something else at play as well.
Nagler
AG
Captain Positivity said:

My conspiracy theory:

You, as an individual, could choose to follow whomever you wanted. However, if that person was persona non grata such as Ron DeSantis, the public and perhaps DeSantis himself would not have seen that you followed him. When he tweeted something, you would not necessarily see it on your timeline. It's a way of suppressing and influencing trending topics.

If they have turned off that feature, then the public follow counts increasing for conservative voices makes much more sense. People inside Twitter could be scrambling to adjust algorithm so that when more independent people come in and examine the structure, it will seem more fair.

What I am not understanding is how the left has lost so many people. I have a long suspected people like AOC have been followed by a tremendous number of bots, but I think there was something else at play as well.

To go with your theory they could be turning off bots or fake account numbers as well if they're changing things.

I've never been a big twitter person, I've had an account for 4 or 5 years and probably been on it 10 total times. Musk buying it does make me more interested in checking out what's going on over there so I'm sure there are other people out there signing up due to the purchase.
cecil77
AG
Why is anything different happening already? Deal's not even done yet. Musk has no twitter authority yet.

Tailgate88
AG
Theory is they are cleaning up the algorithm that favors the left and also blocking the massive number of bots so those "follows" are organically disappearing.

Kind of electronically shredding records if you will to prevent new management from finding stuff.
BlueTaze
Ah gotcha. They are cleaning their tracks removing algos designed to promote left and demote the right. I hope we get some audio leaks that prove it soon.
cecil77
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Theory is they are cleaning up the algorithm that favors the left and also blocking the massive number of bots so those "follows" are organically disappearing.

Kind of electronically shredding records if you will to prevent new management from finding stuff.

ahh... I just assumed everyone knew what they were doing all this time and they didn't care everyone knew.
Decay
AG
cecil77 said:

Tailgate88 said:

ahh... I just assumed everyone knew what they were doing all this time and they didn't care everyone knew.

With the way the media and Twitter gaslights the living **** out of the truth, both can be true.

It's common knowledge, it's very blatant, it's discussed constantly... and yet there will be boatloads of people shocked to find out the inner workings of Twitter if they get put out there.
. . .

Sea Speed
AG
Terrible name
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Que Te Gusta Mas said:

"now"

Man I cannot wait for the purge.
will25u
Bronco6G
TacosaurusRex said:

BlueTaze said:

TacosaurusRex said:

I think what you're saying about influence is false. Just look at the videos coming out today of twitters "internal" meetings. This was being discussed because of the moves made by current twiiter employees, like locking source codes today. Sure, it could be explained by excitement, but large right wing accounts are all reporting massive engagement increases.

The conspiracy theory is that they rolled back certain algos that tampered with accounts.
There's no conspiracy, a lot of people deleted Twitter when Trump was banned, and a lot more when the NY Post story was censored. A lot of those accounts came back with the announcement of the purchase. A lot of mad liberals quit Twitter with the announcement. Thus you see increases in right-leaning accounts and decreases in liberal-leaning accounts.
Not a Bot
AG
Desantis gained around 100,000 followers in 24 hours. That just doesn't seem plausible.

It wasn't limited to American political figures. The Brazilian president also gained tens of thousands of followers.
Eso si, Que es
Bronco6G said:

TacosaurusRex said:

BlueTaze said:

TacosaurusRex said:

There's no conspiracy, a lot of people deleted Twitter when Trump was banned, and a lot more when the NY Post story was censored. A lot of those accounts came back with the announcement of the purchase. A lot of mad liberals quit Twitter with the announcement. Thus you see increases in right-leaning accounts and decreases in liberal-leaning accounts.

Would be my guess too, but I wouldn't bet anything of value on this, because we all know they have been putting their thumb on one side of the scale
. . .
Swollen Thumb
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Desantis gained around 100,000 followers in 24 hours. That just doesn't seem plausible.

It wasn't limited to American political figures. The Brazilian president also gained tens of thousands of followers.
If the Algo was broadly shaddow banning folks of a specific political persuasion, and there is currently an ongoing effort to modify said algo before it gets exposed, wouldn't it make sense that the reinstated accounts would be the those that follow conservatives?

And as far as the reduction in liberal account followers....wouldn't that also make sense given all the emotionally driven liberals leaving twitter (at least temporarily until their tantrums and grandstanding runs the course). In addition, I suspect there were many bots "allowed" to prop up the follower numbers for certain accounts to increase percieved credibility. If so, these are probably also being dealt with before being exposed.

Just speculation and I will be interested to see how things evolve over the coming months. Full disclosure, I've never had a twitter account.
Decay
AG
will25u said:

The "Open Markets Institute" urged the government to stop a private individual's purchase? Has Musk broken every single progressive into tearing their mask off? ...Figuratively of course, they still believe in THE SCIENCE
BusterAg
AG
Captain Positivity said:

This.

What has Twitter done to earn my trust that they weren't purposefully inflating / deflating follower numbers.

Nothing. In fact, their behavior supports that idea that they would do something like this, and these change in follower numbers is unwinding these unfair policies.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Slow down and really think it through and get back to us.
hph6203
AG
Deal isn't finalized, if they were juicing numbers you'd think they'd be more covert about making changes. They have months to feather them in.
Decay
AG
hph6203 said:

Deal isn't finalized, if they were juicing numbers you'd think they'd be more covert about making changes. They have months to feather them in.
I think it points to a small, almost "cabal"-like group in the company that really operates the algorithms. You turn off the "progressive slant" switch and suddenly it's a whole new platform. This isn't some mountain of codebase that they're tweaking with software reviews or something because that would indeed show up as a slow drift. This was a fast decision, executed within hours, and it's so incredibly fishy.
e=mc2
AG
hph6203 said:

Since they agreed to terms, Musk's team is allowed to start due diligence on the company. That's my guess why it happened so quickly.
bthotugigem05
AG
They can agree to terms but not do business as a "combined" entity as of yet, in other words they're not taking orders from Elon yet. If anything I think it points to how easily bots can be used to set an agenda and create talking points for any side.
Agthatbuilds
Captain Positivity said:

Here's my opinion, fwiw:

Twitter is the most progressive of all social media companies as evidence by the political donations of their workers (there's a comparison out there if you Google it)

Twitter started off fine but leftist activists forced changes.

Twitter has actively instituted policies which greatly favor one side of the political spectrum. Twitter is not the real world but has an outsized influence on the real world. Both Twitter leadership and employees have tried to create a virtual world run on the ethos of far left ideology. This includes banning influential people from the right (ie trump) and moderation that is totally one sided.

Now that Musk has come along, Twitter is doing some damage control and trying to even out things. That's why right oriented people have gained 10s of thousands of followers and left oriented people have lost.

Musk is crashing the progressive alternative world they were attempting to build
. . .
Sea Speed
AG
And this is how I know I'm not that far right, although I kind of thought I was.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.