Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,905 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
FrioAg 00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Their employees hate capitalism, but they stayed viable (temporarily) by systemic lying and using it to sell advertising airtime when it was 90% bots

The real lawsuits should come from all the companies that were defrauded of their marketing spend.

Regardless, their incredibly trash business won't survive another 6 months. Hating capitalism does not exempt you from it.
YouBet
AG
This legal battle is going to be our bread and circuses equivalent to the Romans.
aggiehawg
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Their employees hate capitalism, but they stayed viable (temporarily) by systemic lying and using it to sell advertising airtime when it was 90% bots

The real lawsuits should come from all the companies that were defrauded of their marketing spend.

Regardless, their incredibly trash business won't survive another 6 months. Hating capitalism does not exempt you from it.
I wouldn't put the percentage as high as 90%. America has a lot of very stupid bluechecks that are actually stupid people with twitter accounts. Then the algos kick in and retweet tsunami starts. Bots get it going and keep it going.

Why did "trending on twitter" ever become a metric of whatever in the first place?
Deluxe
AG
Feel like this is just formalized posturing and they'll eventually agree to a lower price
aggiehawg
AG
Deluxe said:

Feel like this is just formalized posturing and they'll eventually agree to a lower price
This isn't the 80s anymore. (Fun time, BTW if you were into securities law and had the money to play with. I did not to be clear, just had clients who did. Tangentially involved.)

Musk can agree to a lower price but why would he? Platform is irreparably damaged. Shareholder and advertiser lawsuits survive a change in ownership.
jh0400
AG
aggiehawg said:

baron_von_awesome said:

DeLaHonta said:

Whoever could have predicted that Musk would weasel his way out of the terrible deal he got himself into??? Off to the courts we go…
Can't wait for the shareholders to sue Twitter, going to be glorious
Just heard on FNC that Twitter has stated they will sue Musk for specific performance.

To say that is very risky for them is an understatement.

I can't see how how Musk's counterclaim to walk under the Material Adverse Effect provision doesn't prevail here.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Now they raging because Elon won't buy Twitter?

Did Elon troll and expose Twitter and now they mad?

Elon just exposed and wrecked their business model.

Dude went in dry on all existing shareholders.

The got to be mad.
Deluxe
AG
aggiehawg said:

Deluxe said:

This isn't the 80s anymore. (Fun time, BTW if you were into securities law and had the money to play with. I did not to be clear, just had clients who did. Tangentially involved.)

Musk can agree to a lower price but why would he? Platform is irreparably damaged. Shareholder and advertiser lawsuits survive a change in ownership.
Maybe.

It's possible that he found the fake user/bot problem to be much worse than he expected and wants out because of it, but I'm not so sure. I think this is just a logical maneuver for him to knock a few billy off the price. He knew what was up. He's a damn smart guy with spectacular tech intuitions, he's got Jack telling him everything he needs to know behind the scenes, and he has an obvious plan to clean up the problem once he's in charge.

Elon/Twitter formalized their deal on 4/25. In mid-May, NASDAQ took a dive and Twitter stock followed. On 5/16, Elon first expressed his bot/fake user skepticisms. I think he did so knowing he'd eventually be able to terminate the deal... knowing that Twitter board has to stay engaged and eventually settle or they'll be hit with shareholder lawsuits.

I despise Twitter management just much as the next guy. Their culture is disgusting and their inability to fix the bot/fake user problem up until now is either gross incompetence or nefarious corruption. I just don't really buy that Elon didn't know that going in. I think he's just using it as an excuse to get a discount on his purchase price.

Could be wrong though.
Daddy-O5
AG
will25u
will25u
Showertime at the Bidens
aggiehawg said:

Deluxe said:

I don't agree that the platform is damaged. It's still the global source for news and updates.
aggieforester05
AG
Zarathustra said:

aggiehawg said:

Deluxe said:

I don't agree that the platform is damaged. It's still the global source for news and updates.
It's a propaganda aggregator. They take news media which is already DNC propaganda and use algorithms to push those propaganda sources above other legitimate sources or opposition propaganda. Twitter has the power to mold public perception of current and past events, which is an unprecedented propaganda tool. It's incredibly powerful and being weaponized by evil communists with an anti American agenda. Half wit liberals have absolutely gone insane using it, because it is an endless source of confirmation bias for them.
Showertime at the Bidens

Agree, but it's still the global source for propaganda. Personally, I think Twitter itself may have a large percentage of bots to control what trends at the top.
will25u
TWTR down 10% today.
aggiehawg
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Zarathustra said:

aggiehawg said:

Deluxe said:

It's a propaganda aggregator. They take news media which is already DNC propaganda and use algorithms to push those propaganda sources above other legitimate sources or opposition propaganda. Twitter has the power to mold public perception of current and past events, which is an unprecedented propaganda tool. It's incredibly powerful and being weaponized by evil communists with an anti American agenda. Half wit liberals have absolutely gone insane using it, because it is an endless source of confirmation bias for them.
One other thing that could come out in discovery. How twitter censored and altered news affecting the 2020 election, including the Dem primaries.
aggieforester05
AG
Zarathustra said:

Agree, but it's still the global source for propaganda. Personally, I think Twitter itself may have a large percentage of bots to control what trends at the top.

That very well may be the case and the least transparent or easiest way for them to control the narratives. Doing it via changes in the algorithm may be too difficult due to the complexity of deciphering the hundreds of millions of tweets per day and pushing the one's that promote their agenda.
BD88
AG
Love watching this giant liberal run turd of a company sink.
techno-ag
AG
If only they hadn't banned Trump they might still be viable.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
will25u
aggiehawg
AG
will25u said:

Oooh! A letter. Not even strongly worded one at that!
Slicer97
AG
BD88 said:

Amusing how leftists eff up every single thing they touch...
aggieforester05
AG
Slicer97 said:

BD88 said:

Amusing how leftists eff up every single thing they touch...
They're incredibly good at lying, creating/distributing propaganda, buying votes, creating racial tensions, and election fraud, but not much else. Evil people have been using unethical and illegal means to get what they want since the beginning of time. Even if some of their followers are well intentioned, they are extremely gullible people that have fallen prey to their lies with zero critical thinking applied.
Ag with kids
AG
aggiehawg said:

will25u said:

Oooh! A letter. Not even strongly worded one at that!

We are very, very angry with you. And we wrote you a letter to tell you how angry we are.
aggieforester05
AG
Probably all bark, they've likely been advised that legal action will not go well for them.
will25u

aggiehawg
AG
will25u said:

Okay. Love Elon's snark but when he's in this high stakes litigation, time to moderate the tweets. Don't have to go radio silent, although that would be his lawyers' preference but tone it down.

Or as Mary Matalin would bark at Carville, "Ratchet it down!"
No Spin Ag
aggiehawg said:

will25u said:

Okay. Love Elon's snark but when he's in this high stakes litigation, time to moderate the tweets. Don't have to go radio silent, although that would be his lawyers' preference but tone it down.

Or as Mary Matalin would bark at Carville, "Ratchet it down!"

So his lawyers saw the tweet and sighted heavily, huh?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
aggiehawg
AG
Maybe. Maybe they were consulted and said that was innocuous enough to send out? He's not my client, since I'm retired.

Old school trial lawyers preferred to try cases in the courtroom not the media. But then there were lawyers who have taken the opposite approach. Like OJ trial for instance. Johnny Cochran was in a win-win situation for him. He could play the race card all day long. OJ is convicted? "See? Told you a Black man can't get a fair trial!" OJ is acquitted, "Hire me! I can get you off the charges, brothers and sisters!"

He had predecessors though. F. Lee Bailey. Racehorse Haines, Joe Jamail come to mind.
outofstateaggie
AG
Was Bailey on the defense team with him for that case?
Decay
AG
They've gone from throwing the book at Elon to stop it to suing him to make sure it happens?

This MF been reading Art Of The Deal
FrioAg 00
AG
Everything is a game to Elon

If he lost 99% of his wealth, he'd still have way more than he'll ever spend on his own lifestyle.

Even $44b on the line doesn't really phase him
aggiehawg
AG
outofstateaggie said:

Was Bailey on the defense team with him for that case?
OJ? Yes. It was Bailey who noticed the prosecution had left the bloodied gloves on the stand during a recess. He went up and measured his hand against the glove.

Bailey knew OJ had severe arthritis and if he did not take his medication, his hands, more importantly, his knuckles would swell. Bailey goes to Cochran, a kind of mentor to Chris Darden on the prosecution and he agrees to goad Darden into having OJ try on the gloves in front of the jury. Darden tells Marcia Clark who tells him, "Oh hell NO! Don't do that!"

But OJ was off his arthritis drugs for three days at that point. Wasn't a jury play as OJ came shuffling into the room because his knees were also locked but played well on TV. With those knees, how could he jump over a fence to dump a glove behind Kato's room?

Cochran used a recess to again goad Darden and he did it. We all know what happened after that.

"Gloves don't fit? You must acquit!" In closing.

I watched about 75% of that trial because that MF lasted 9 months but I taped a lot and watched it at night.

Agthatbuilds
Decay said:

They've gone from throwing the book at Elon to stop it to suing him to make sure it happens?

Well, twitter is much less valuable today than when Elon first offered. The board stands to lose quite a bit now if the deal doesn't go through or the price is negotiated down.
Decay
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Decay said:

Well, twitter is much less valuable today than when Elon first offered. The board stands to lose quite a bit now if the deal doesn't go through or the price is negotiated down.
Right, but Musk either gets the deal at his original price, or something happens and either the price lowers or twitter blows up.

He's basically playing with house money now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.