Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,898 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
rocky the dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
bthotugigem05
AG
Elon is a free speech absolutist, it's not about right and left.

But he had to chuckle when making an offer that expires on...4/20.
Foreverconservative
MUSK: "I invested in Twitter as I believe in its potential to be the platform for free speech around the globe, and I believe free speech is a societal imperative for a functioning democracy.
Since making my investment I now realize the company will neither thrive nor serve this societal imperative in its current form. Twitter needs to be transformed as a private company."
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
will25u
Can't wait for the liberal bastion on the west coast to wake up in the next hour or two. Should be a fun day on Twitter.
BusterAg
AG
This has all the makings of a massive shareholder derivative lawsuit, with Elon arguing that Twitter's shareholder value is being deteriorated by politically motivated moderation.

The shareholders of Twitter can argue that the board and management is acting in their own best interest, and not in the interest of the shareholders. That will put Twitter on its heels.

Speculation / predictions:

It would also be interesting, in that Twitter would probably argue that the place of the corporation is not just to make shareholders happy, but to be a "good corporate citizen," and that whole "shareholder vs stakeholder" argument would get some major light.

Twitter would then have to argue, eventually in front of the supreme court, that their politically motivated moderation is the best thing for democracy. They would sound an awful lot like the Russian communist party this week.

Under that scenario, I think that what Twitter / Amazon did to Parler becomes fair game.

It would be the biggest trial since OJ Simpson.
will25u

BCG Disciple
AG
This is exactly how the Chinese have disarmed and then radicalized commies out of our citizenry. Throw that $ around, baby!
TexAgs91
AG
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
Marcus Brutus
Boot is a moron.

"Limiting speech I don't like leads to a healthy democracy" /Max Boot and CCP Chairman Xi
GeorgiAg
AG
Marcus Brutus said:

Boot is a moron.

"Limiting speech I don't like leads to a healthy democracy" /Max Boot and CCP Chairman Xi
Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever.
Foreverconservative
Spoken like a true Marxist

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
akm91
AG
Amazing how Trump and now Musk are getting people to show their true colors.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Ags4DaWin
Captain Positivity said:

Whitetail said:

Goodby @Jack. Hello @theRealDolanld.

Jack is friends with Elon.

If this is true, and I have watched Jack's descent into being a little bit crazy- the beard, etc...i wonder if he was being handled and controlled.

During that interview with Rogan if seemed odd that he would need a second person in the room with him.

Just musing to myself.
javajaws
AG
Win win for Musk - either he gets Twitter or he can turn around and sell his existing shares for a good profit now. And if they reject he has countersuit claim material to keep them in check.
tysker
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Interesting take to think about. Neuralink is Elon trying to connect the human brain to cyberspace. Interesting to think about if we could somehow be connected to a platform like twitter.

Musk is Lawnmower Man?

crowman2010
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

Why would someone buy Twitter?

It's free on the App Store
Ok AOC
aggie93
AG
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
thirdcoast
AG
CNN says there is going to be a dramatic board fight and that Musk is not the right man.

So rest assured, the bod will hand the keys over to Musk without a fight and Musk will turn TWTR into 100B company
aggieforester05
AG
Would be hilarious if Jack as a shareholder ended up joining a lawsuit against the current board for failing to carry out their fiduciary duties.
Albatross Necklace
Good thread

Eso si, Que es
Board meeting is in session.

Now just waiting on the white smoke to signal a free society!!!!

waitwhat?
I bet Trump is glued to the TV hoping this goes through.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
tysker
AG
from that thread:

Quote:

As for debt, it's probably (4)
going to be a $20BN+ financing package, which will require a fairly large group of lenders.

Funding mostly by Elon? Using mostly TSLA stock as collateral? Which has appreciated in price because of decarbonization efforts by the government and the use of carbon offsets and tax breaks.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
Elon will be the next president of Texas.
annie88
AG
The leftists are freaking out.

They are so bummed that now everybody will be able to say what they want instead of just the leftist propaganda.

Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
BAP Enthusiast
will25u said:

As expected, ESG trumps fiduciary duty now. This whole situation will prove it to everyone and force it out into the open. This has major potential of completely undermining the stock market as an investment tool. If this is now the norm, then your investment is now hostage to leftists that want control.
annie88
AG
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Marcus Brutus
BAP Enthusiast said:

will25u said:

As expected, ESG trumps fiduciary duty now. This whole situation will prove it to everyone and force it out into the open. This has major potential of completely undermining the stock market as an investment tool. If this is now the norm, then your investment is now hostage to leftists that want control.

I would never have purchased Twitter stock before, but if they do this, I don't see why anyone who is interested in ROI would ever buy it. It will be completely obvious they are not interested in growing the company financially.

The stock has been an absolute dog since the IPO. Had you invested 10k in index SP fund at the twitter IPO date, you'd have almost $25k. If you invested in twitter, you'd have $11200.
YouBet
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

will25u said:

Yep, most just don't realize that yet. There was a group of CEOs that banded together pre-Covid that made an announcement that they would no longer be held accountable to traditional financial expectations for a company's success. It was largely ignored and forgotten about but it's real.

And ESG is the manifestation of that announcement. Now, Elon is at least putting that movement in the crosshairs with this bid so we shall see which way it goes. I'm skeptical any real, positive change will happen.
GeorgiAg
AG
waitwhat? said:

I bet Trump is glued to the TV hoping this goes through.
So, you mean it's Thursday. Trump is always glued to the TV.
BenFiasco14
AG
sicandtiredTXN said:

Spoken like a true Marxist

I've read (and written) a lot of stupid stuff over the years.

But this might be the most idiotic, dumbass take I've ever seen. Just baffling.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
will25u
YouBet
AG
Also, if he wins the leftists in Silicon Valley will simply launch Twitter Blue Team for the rest of the world to migrate to. And most of corporate America and all of media will jump ship to the new platform. Along with most of the rest of the planet of whom most are marxist morons. Companies are not going to spend resources supporting much more than 2-3 major platforms. It's similar to the mobile OS app wars in that regard.

Elon will be left with Parlor 2.0. It will fail over time.
Layne Staley
AG
Musk will change the Blue Checkmark to just a Donkey.

He is exposing the facists. Love it.
will25u

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.