Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,890 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting approach by Musk. Did he clear with any high school teachers before hand?
93MarineHorn
Quote:

Bubblez said:

There are companies that value and thrive upon fully open discourse and debate. They don't want a bunch of yes-people. Twitter was like that before Elon.
What were they debating? How best to censor conservatives and collude with Fedgov?
will25u
TexasAggie_02 said:

This does not seem unreasonable to me. He clearly states if you are not willing to do it, you get 3 months of pay.

Maybe my 5 deployments and OPTEMPO for those deployments make me look at things differently, but people these days are weenies when it comes to hard work.
Ag with kids
AG
will25u said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

This does not seem unreasonable to me. He clearly states if you are not willing to do it, you get 3 months of pay.

Maybe my 5 deployments and OPTEMPO for those deployments make me look at things differently, but people these days are weenies when it comes to hard work.
Semper Gumby mother****ers...
flakrat
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Man of I didn't love my job, I'd sign up in a heart beat!
fullback44
AG
Elon is direct and to the point .. these loony toon snowflakes probably won't last under him, they want to work 2 hours a day and get $400 free lunch while they play games all day on his dollar .. will be fun to watch
BG Knocc Out
bmks270 said:

I've heard a few first hand accounts of what it's like working for Musk, and it's hell. He gets more out of people than they would put forth without his intensity, but he treats employees poorly and has zero empathy, and I mean zero. He is never wrong (in his mind), and often ignores advice from senior level engineers that ends up costing time and money. The thing is, he has infinitely deep pockets. He doesn't care about the money. He will turn Twitter into the organization he wants it to be, and I don't think he cares about making a return on investment. He'll just keep throwing money at it. It's a private company now, the organization is accountable to him and nobody else.

Pays very well, even to be an intern at Tesla. But in exchange, you will work your effing ass off. A lot.
will25u
. . .
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
he's getting rid of the people who don't need to be there. good for him.

They aren't going to be working hardcore long hours. He's just trying to weed out the crazy lazy millenials progressives. So he just has the regular liberals to deal with next.

be sweet if he brings in a bunch of conservatives and beats twitter libs at their own game and takes down truth social in the process...lol.

Rossticus

Charpie
AG
It's bad that so much of the inner workings are public. Twitter is gonna get hammered by bad actors and they won't be able to react.
Fairview
AG
I call BS on 75% of remaining employees opting out. I'm sure there are some but walking out in this economy at that rate is highly unlikely.
Charpie
AG
Not in tech. Market is booming. Specifically developers, QA and product are still hiring like crazy
deddog
AG
Fairview said:

I call BS on 75% of remaining employees opting out. I'm sure there are some but walking out in this economy at that rate is highly unlikely.

Remember, they are based in California.
Also, given that this is Twitter, chances are real good that 25% of the people do 90% of the work
deddog
AG
Charpie said:

Not in tech. Market is booming. Specifically developers, QA and product are still hiring like crazy
Also, most people tend to have a higher opinion of themselves, than they should
Rossticus
Fairview said:

As someone in IT, I'm still constantly bombarded with interview offers on a daily basis. Now, is there any security in that? No. But no less than with Twitter and with 3 months severance I'd feel pretty good about landing on my feet following the holidays.

Not saying I would personally bail but I can at least understand the thought process of anyone who'd rather go somewhere else, continue telecommuting, maintain a sane work/life balance, and avoid the drama.
Actual Talking Thermos
Charpie
AG
No that's not.
Rossticus
Soooo… how long before Twitter self immolates?

Over/under.
Charpie
AG
Same. It's pretty crazy.
FTAG 2000
AG
elon said about 75% of its employees are unnecessary before he bought it. now the lefty ****s in the press are high about 75% either leaving or getting canned.
Whirligigs
Yup and twitter is still running.
Rossticus
If Twitter gives up the ghost then the fundamental nature of how a lot of people have become accustomed to sourcing and consuming information, as well as communicating and amplifying opinion over recent years will suddenly cease to be. Would be wild to watch the fallout.
nai06
AG
Rossticus said:

Soooo… how long before Twitter self immolates?

Over/under.

I'll guess sometime between 10am Sunday and 10am Monday is when the first major outage will occur.

The World Cup starts this weekend.
Rossticus
FTAG 2000 said:

elon said about 75% of its employees are unnecessary before he bought it. now the lefty ****s in the press are high about 75% either leaving or getting canned.

Except that I can guarantee you that the engineers who literally keep Twitter up and running weren't intended to be included in that 75%.
Rossticus
Seeing that the ENTIRE team who supported the android app flat noped out. So, android users… you're on deck.
RED AG 98
AG
Somewhat hilarious and more than a wee bit ironic that 5 of the top 10 trending topics in the US are in regards to Twitter's supposed demise. Seems like a win-win can't lose situation to me

Charpie
AG
That's what I mean. I've never seen such a vocal layoffs/quitting..ever. It's a matter of time before some Turkish troll farm starts to attempt to SQL inject into the twitter api
FTAG 2000
AG
Rossticus said:

Seeing that the ENTIRE team who supported the android app flat noped out. So, android users… you're on deck.

lol. oh no. they were the only android devs in the world. what will he do?

side note, lots of lefties who insisted twitter was the gospel, unchallenged, unbiased, etc sure do all of a sudden seem to be rooting for its demise. odd.

if twitter goes under i hope him and jack buy facebook too. the world would be a better place without social media.
RED AG 98
AG
And this tweet from Elon 45 minutes ago just after this started breaking is too perfect!

scoop12
AG
Why would I hire an ex-Twitter employee who is saying twitter won't work without them if they built a platform that would crater when they leave? If it does crater, they were poor engineers. If it doesn't, they were liars. Lose lose
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
deddog said:

Fairview said:

Remember, they are based in California.
Also, given that this is Twitter, chances are real good that 25% of the people do 90% of the work

Thats called the Pareto Distribution, or more commonly the 80/20 rule. The chances are real good that is true, but that has nothing to do with the fact that it "is Twitter."

It also very well could be even worse than an 80/20 distribution: see Prices Law.
Rossticus
FTAG 2000 said:

if twitter goes under i hope him and jack buy facebook too. the world would be a better place without social media.

I agree with you on that point. Social media didn't even start to be a thing till I was in college and I miss the days when we weren't all interconnected and expected to accept being bombarded with bs nonstop. But even if they disappeared something equally nauseating would rise to replace them.
Rossticus
Charpie said:

That's what I mean. I've never seen such a vocal layoffs/quitting..ever. It's a matter of time before some Turkish troll farm starts to attempt to SQL inject into the twitter api

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.