Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,893 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TAMUallen said:

HTownAg98 said:

Actual Talking Thermos said:

I think the funny part is that if anything Musk has always had reason to think there are more bots on Twitter than there are, because every time he posts his replies and mentions are absolutely crawling with them. This is for one simple reason: big Elon Musk fans are known to be a prime target for scams. Got a crypto or investment or other get rich quick scam? Drop Elon Musk's name, that's gonna be your best bet.

It became such a thing that Twitter made it so you couldn't put "Elon Musk" in your username for a while and maybe still.
That's what I can't figure out: why Musk is arguing "there's soooo many bots" when everyone and their dog knows Twitter is loaded with bots. What really matters is what Twitter defines as their mDAU number. The percent bots of the total number of Twitter users is irrelevant.

It's the only relevant thing at hand. If they can't determine percentage of false accounts and remove bots then all of their advertising metrics are now completely bogus
The total number of bots is irrelevant. What is relevant is how many bots are a part of the mDAU count. The people that are buying ads on Twitter care about the mDAU number, and how many of those are bots (Twitter represents that it's <5%). Someone explained it to me this way, and it made it much easier for me to understand:
Think of the entire Twitter user base as a big wheat field. There's the wheat berries that are actually worth something: those are the mDAUs. The stalk, leaves, husks, bugs, dirt, everything else: that's the bots, spam accounts, throwaways, backups, etc. The combine that harvests the wheat is the algorithm that goes through the field, separating the wheat from the chaff. All the advertisers care about is the pounds of wheat harvested (the MDAUs), and how much of the chaff is still left in the harvest that the combine didn't catch (the bots). They do not care how much chaff gets thrown out the back end of the combine.
Rockdoc
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I think the funny part is that if anything Musk has always had reason to think there are more bots on Twitter than there are, because every time he posts his replies and mentions are absolutely crawling with them. This is for one simple reason: big Elon Musk fans are known to be a prime target for scams. Got a crypto or investment or other get rich quick scam? Drop Elon Musk's name, that's gonna be your best bet.

It became such a thing that Twitter made it so you couldn't put "Elon Musk" in your username for a while and maybe still.
That's what I can't figure out: why Musk is arguing "there's soooo many bots" when everyone and their dog knows Twitter is loaded with bots. What really matters is what Twitter defines as their mDAU number. The percent bots of the total number of Twitter users is irrelevant.

That's kinda what this is all about. Weird take.
HTownAg98
People are confusing the total number of bots with the mDAU number. They're two distinct things. The first one doesn't matter to this case.
Rockdoc
AG
HTownAg98 said:

People are confusing the total number of bots with the mDAU number. They're two distinct things. The first one doesn't matter to this case.

Maybe you should call Elon and advise him.
jh0400
AG
Rockdoc said:

HTownAg98 said:

That's kinda what this is all about. Weird take.

He's right. The mDAU number is all that matters, because that is the number that is in the disclosure that Musk's team is going to try to use to claim they can walk under the Material Adverse Effect clause. Based on how that disclosure was drafted he's looking at an uphill fight.
techno-ag
AG
Harry Stone said:

what would be funny is if twitter sees a huge rebound over the next 3 months and their stock soars above Musk's agreed price per share
Yeah then he goes ahead and agrees to buy at the lower price.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
HTownAg98
Rockdoc said:

HTownAg98 said:

Maybe you should call Elon and advise him.
He's got his own very capable white shoe legal team to advise him. They've made the claim that the % bots in the mDAU number is off, but they were sketchy about it.
Speaking of weird takes.
will25u
Premium
AG
Premium said:

T&P to my Twitter shares. Most disappointed in if he can't get it the libs will continue to provide free advertising and influence future elections.

At least it will help the Tesla shares, which I have more of…
So I didn't give up, it's on the rebound! Here's to hoping Musk is "forced" into buying it - - for the sake of not allowing Twitter to influence our country/elections.
will25u
will25u
https://nypost.com/2022/08/22/elon-musk-subpoenas-jack-dorsey-for-spam-bots-info-in-twitter-battle/

Elon Musk has subpoenaed Twitter co-founder and former CEO Jack Dorsey, who initially praised the Tesla CEO's $44 billion takeover billion deal as part of a "mission to extend the light of consciousness."

The subpoena, which was revealed in a Delaware Chancery Court filing on Monday, focuses on Twitter's alleged problem with spam bots and marks an escalation in Musk's legal battle. The trial is scheduled to start in October.

The subpoena states that Dorsey will be asked for information about "the impact or effect of false or spam accounts on Twitter's business and operations" as well as metrics the company uses to measure spam bots.

Musk also wants "documents and communications" related to how Twitter's spam bot calculations may have figured into compensation for executives or board members, according to the subpoena.
Showertime at the Bidens
will25u said:

Ben Shapiro covered this. He thinks it was all a ruse so Elon could sell stock without the price of tesla falling.
will25u
Ags4DaWin
Zarathustra said:

will25u said:

Ben Shapiro covered this. He thinks it was all a ruse so Elon could sell stock without the price of tesla falling.

Shapiro was wrong about Trump and he is probably wrong about this.

Alot of times he argues well but as it began with Trump I have noticed more and more that he tends to have personal biases for no logical reason.

I might chalk this up to personal bias and seeing ghosts where none exist.
SwigAg11
AG
will25u said:

I just can't believe any unnamed sources (including whistleblowers) anymore. That being said, this also makes completes sense with statements made by Musk and Dorsey in the past.
Nasreddin
He's not unnamed. Check ahem cnn or wapo
chase128
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

Zarathustra said:

will25u said:

Shapiro was wrong about Trump and he is probably wrong about this.

Alot of times he argues well but as it began with Trump I have noticed more and more that he tends to have personal biases for no logical reason.

I might chalk this up to personal bias and seeing ghosts where none exist.
I thought Shapiro was just suggesting it as a possibility that made sense, and if it turned out the be the truth it wouldn't surprise him. Talking about Musk
SwigAg11
AG
Nasreddin said:

He's not unnamed. Check ahem cnn or wapo
Thank you for clarifying. I was just taking that tweet at face value without looking further in the news.
will25u
HTownAg98
Oops.
Decay
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Oops.

So it's not valid but because the guy tweeted out a middle finger, the judge allows it? Just because someone's unprofessional it doesn't change the law
blacksox
It's valid.
Decay
AG
"entirely duplicative subpoenas used for tactical purposes" doesn't sound valid to me
aggiehawg
AG
Decay said:

"entirely duplicative subpoenas used for tactical purposes" doesn't sound valid to me
It's called a "rolling barrage" using the tools of civil discovery. In high stakes litiation, since discovery requests have time limits for when a response is due, takes time away from preparing your own case.
HTownAg98
Decay said:

HTownAg98 said:

Oops.

So it's not valid but because the guy tweeted out a middle finger, the judge allows it? Just because someone's unprofessional it doesn't change the law

This falls under "don't do dumb **** that makes the judge mad and causes them to rule against you where the judge has discretion to do so." The Chancery Court is not known for ****ing around. David Sacks decided to say "challenge accepted" and **** around, and has now found out.
FrioAg 00
AG
Sure, but the whole story also falls under "it probably feels really good to have all of the standard of living you desire fully funded by 0.001% of your net worth."

He takes F You money to a ridiculous extreme
Ags4DaWin
HTownAg98 said:

Decay said:

HTownAg98 said:

Oops.

This falls under "don't do dumb **** that makes the judge mad and causes them to rule against you where the judge has discretion to do so." The Chancery Court is not known for ****ing around. David Sacks decided to say "challenge accepted" and **** around, and has now found out.

The judge basically admits he is not ruling on law, precedence, logic, or argument but based on emotions.

This is a ****ty judge......we are seeing more and more like this
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The judge basically admits he is not ruling on law, precedence, logic, or argument but based on emotions.

I have been more appalled than complimentary of most of the judiciary for the last 7 years. Really sad.
fasthorse05
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I have been more appalled than complimentary of most of the judiciary for the last 7 years. Really sad.
I have actually been quite amazed at your reticence on the judiciary.

What I would like to know, is the private conversations amongst attorneys about individual judges. The types of comments like "she's a ball breaker", or "I know I can really push the law with this judge", should be completely different than what they were prior to roughly 2010.

Your past occupation has had it's foundations change in the last 15 years, or certain judges are just allowing emotion to overwhelm their courts. I side with the first part, but that's just a guess based on the last seven years.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

What I would like to know, is the private conversations amongst attorneys about individual judges. The types of comments like "she's a ball breaker", or "I know I can really push the law with this judge", should be completely different than what they were prior to roughly 2010.

Your past occupation has had it's foundations change in the last 15 years, or certain judges are just allowing emotion to overwhelm their courts. I side with the first part, but that's just a guess based on the last seven years.
Don't get me wrong, I've known more than a few bad judges, primarily because they were elected and not suited to the job.But those were state judges.

Federal judges are a different breed since they go through the confirmation process. That goes back to the Senate Judiciary Committee doing a bad job in vetting nominees for the last two decades or more.

Exhibit A is Kentanji Brown Jackson. Exhibit B is Sotomayor.
Decay
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I've known more than a few bad judges, primarily because they were elected and not suited to the job.But those were state judges.

Federal judges are a different breed since they go through the confirmation process. That goes back to the Senate Judiciary Committee doing a bad job in vetting nominees for the last two decades or more.

Exhibit A is Kentanji Brown Jackson. Exhibit B is Sotomayor.

Completely disagree they did a bad job. They did exactly what they intended to do. It's up to the GOP to hold the line and they have failed miserably.
will25u

Wonder why?

Showertime at the Bidens

Wuuuuuuttt????
will25u
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG

Trek Strategy - Every Journey Needs a Guide

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.