Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,883 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
Showertime at the Bidens
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Just saw on Twitter that Musk fired Yoel Roth today
Stat Monitor Repairman
I don't uinderstand how Elon has enough hours in the day to do what he does.

Dude got 9 or 10 kids.

Runs 5 or 6 companies and now this Twitter deal.

Plus the dude is on twitter talking **** all the time to anyone and everyone.
samurai_science
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I don't uinderstand how Elon has enough hours in the day to do what he does.

Dude got 9 or 10 kids.

Runs 5 or 6 companies and now this Twitter deal.

Plus the dude is on twitter talking **** all the time to anyone and everyone.
Money can buy a lot of help
nai06
AG
Zarathustra said:

She resigned but the effect is still the same.

Elon is quickly running Twitter into the ground and honestly the whole thing is pretty funny at this point.

He spent 44 billion dollars for what amounts to the worlds largest group text that all hate him. And because he wants to be the very public face and chief complaint taker, he logs every morning to get kicked in the dick by **** posters everywhere.

• His twitter blue verification is blowing up in his face in a predictable spectacular fashion.
  • Twitter's Chief Information Security Officer, Chief Privacy Officer, and Chief Compliance Officer, Head of Trust and Safety (Yoel Roth), and Head of Sales all resigned within the last 24 hours
  • His roll out of official grey tags was a massive failure and lasted all but a few hours (although they have sporadically reappeared)
  • He has discussed putting all of twitter behind a paywall
  • He has toyed with the idea of making twitter a payment processing platform (similar to paypal) and offering high yield money market accounts
  • Twitter will also explore relegating all non verified accounts to a separate page (similar to spam folder)
  • Yesterday ordered all employees back to the office by today or he would consider this proof of their resignation (his HR and legal department has openly disagreed because this violates many employment contract)
  • Based on the reductions in key safety and privacy departments Twitter may have violated its Consent Decree with FTC (which it filed in order to be a payment processor).
  • Today he admitted on a company wide call that for twitter to survive in the current climate roughly half of its revenue needs to come from subscriptions and that bankruptcy is still a very real option.

But what do I know? Someone else feel free to post evidence of all the smart business moves Elon is making with Twitter right now.
File5
AG
Twitter has only made a profit in 2018 and 2019 in it's entire existence - why would Elon want to keep any of the people who were part of that? He's got room to change the business model and he's trying things out. In addition, many (most?) of us don't really care if he succeeds or not, we are just glad to see the Twitterati get their comeuppance.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
PCG says Twitter isn't going anywhere.

We'll see if I'm right
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
Maybe Next Year
AG
If Twitter dies, the world is a better place
nai06
AG
File5 said:

Twitter has only made a profit in 2018 and 2019 in it's entire existence - why would Elon want to keep any of the people who were part of that? He's got room to change the business model and he's trying things out. In addition, many (most?) of us don't really care if he succeeds or not, we are just glad to see the Twitterati get their comeuppance.

Elon still has to run a company unless his goal is to shut it down. People that he actually needs for the company to function are leaving. I think he assumes that he can just replace them but at this point who is actually going to voluntarily go work at Twitter?

Oh and as of this morning he has suspended new Twitter Blue subscriptions. The option to subscribe has disappeared. Not sure how long that will last.

Look I would love for Twitter to survive. Despite it's many faults I think it's had a net positive effect. But if it's going to go down in flames, I can't imagine a more deserving (and funnier) person to be left holding the $44 billion bag than Elon Musk.
Premium
AG
nai06 said:

File5 said:

Elon still has to run a company unless his goal is to shut it down. People that he actually needs for the company to function are leaving. I think he assumes that he can just replace them but at this point who is actually going to voluntarily go work at Twitter?

Oh and as of this morning he has suspended new Twitter Blue subscriptions. The option to subscribe has disappeared. Not sure how long that will last.

Look I would love for Twitter to survive. Despite it's many faults I think it's had a net positive effect. But if it's going to go down in flames, I can't imagine a more deserving (and funnier) person to be left holding the $44 billion bag than Elon Musk.
Considering Twitters hiring practices included hiring extreme far left liberals, I assume the other 90% of the population are now candidates to apply.
Jbob04
AG
Maybe Next Year said:

If Twitter dies, the world is a better place

Truer words have never been spoken
samurai_science
Twitter is having record growth, it will be fine
Touchless
AG
nai06 said:

File5 said:

What does the Head of Trust and Safety do exactly that keeps the company functioning? I have no idea what that person did, but based on title alone, it sounds like a useless position.
Touchless
AG
nai06 said:

File5 said:

Also, I don't know that twitter has had a net positive effect. It's pretty much just a bunch of trash, anger, right wing censorship and a left wing echo chamber.

Based on just a few of your comments I've noticed, you seem somewhat unhappy that Elon bought it so you likely fall into that last category if I had to guess.
Ag with kids
AG
nai06 said:

File5 said:

Elon could literally set fire to $44 billion dollars and he'd still be the richest man in the world. I doubt the money bothers him in the least.

But, you should contact him. It's obvious a former teacher and now corporate recruiter knows way more about running businesses than him since you've run zero and he's currently running 5 or 6...you could give him some advice about how to make money - he seems to have trouble doing that.
Showertime at the Bidens

Twitter's pretty fun now. You should join.
blacksox
How did Elon get so rich. He's tearing about one of the country's most popular social media sites in record time. Dude is acting like an idiot and it's going to blow up in his face.
TRADUCTOR
Just reduce twitter to the libs of tic toc and maybe James Woods account.
Showertime at the Bidens
You sound like a moron but I'll respond anyway. He made his money through innovation. Which is that exactly what he's trying to do with twitter. Twitter was nothing more than a propaganda arm of the Democrat party. If you have been paying attention, there was almost zero innovation in The Last 5 Years on twitter. It made no sense.

Elon said he's going to make a lot of dumb mistakes in the process. That's how great things get built.
Premium
AG
blacksox said:

How did Elon get so rich. He's tearing about one of the country's most popular social media sites in record time. Dude is acting like an idiot and it's going to blow up in his face.

Fail, pivot. A concept you all don't seem to understand.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
blacksox said:

^
^
^

Speaking of things blowing up in your face...the expert has arrived.
nai06
AG
Ag with kids said:

nai06 said:

File5 said:

Elon could literally set fire to $44 billion dollars and he'd still be the richest man in the world. I doubt the money bothers him in the least.

But, you should contact him. It's obvious a former teacher and now corporate recruiter knows way more about running businesses than him since you've run zero and he's currently running 5 or 6...you could give him some advice about how to make money - he seems to have trouble doing that.

He certainly seems to be struggling with Twitter.

And if you think that the richest man in the world wouldn't care about losing roughly 25% percent of his net worth through a failed business deal, I'll have whatever your smoking. His ego can't handle that. Hell he can't even handle getting made fun of on twitter and you think he'd be ok with that big of a business loss?

As a former teacher that has only run 2 small businesses before, I don't have any similar experience as Elon. But it doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to see how poorly he is doing at running Twitter.

I mean do you honestly and objectively think he is doing a good job right now?
nai06
AG
Touchless said:

nai06 said:

File5 said:

Also, I don't know that twitter has had a net positive effect. It's pretty much just a bunch of trash, anger, right wing censorship and a left wing echo chamber.

Based on just a few of your comments I've noticed, you seem somewhat unhappy that Elon bought it so you likely fall into that last category if I had to guess.

I think you can objectively look at the immediate access twitter has provided to current and breaking events as a positive. As much disinformation there is (and there is a lot), it has provided real time access to events that would otherwise take hours if not days to be reported on after being filtered through a news media company of your choice. It has allowed artists, creatives, and other business owners direct access to consumers on a scale that hasn't happened before.

how many times do you think people on this board have checked twitter for updates on the election?
Sports scores?
Details on a car chase or active crime?
Current severe weather conditions?
funny videos or cat pics?

nai06
AG
Premium said:

nai06 said:

File5 said:

Considering Twitters hiring practices included hiring extreme far left liberals, I assume the other 90% of the population are now candidates to apply.

Given the current state of the company, would you leave your current role and go work for Twitter on Monday?
Rex Racer
AG
nai06 said:

Zarathustra said:

She resigned but the effect is still the same.

Elon is quickly running Twitter into the ground and honestly the whole thing is pretty funny at this point.

He spent 44 billion dollars for what amounts to the worlds largest group text that all hate him. And because he wants to be the very public face and chief complaint taker, he logs every morning to get kicked in the dick by **** posters everywhere.

• His twitter blue verification is blowing up in his face in a predictable spectacular fashion.
  • Twitter's Chief Information Security Officer, Chief Privacy Officer, and Chief Compliance Officer, Head of Trust and Safety (Yoel Roth), and Head of Sales all resigned within the last 24 hours
  • His roll out of official grey tags was a massive failure and lasted all but a few hours (although they have sporadically reappeared)
  • He has discussed putting all of twitter behind a paywall
  • He has toyed with the idea of making twitter a payment processing platform (similar to paypal) and offering high yield money market accounts
  • Twitter will also explore relegating all non verified accounts to a separate page (similar to spam folder)
  • Yesterday ordered all employees back to the office by today or he would consider this proof of their resignation (his HR and legal department has openly disagreed because this violates many employment contract)
  • Based on the reductions in key safety and privacy departments Twitter may have violated its Consent Decree with FTC (which it filed in order to be a payment processor).
  • Today he admitted on a company wide call that for twitter to survive in the current climate roughly half of its revenue needs to come from subscriptions and that bankruptcy is still a very real option.

But what do I know? Someone else feel free to post evidence of all the smart business moves Elon is making with Twitter right now.

His dumbest move was offering to buy Twitter. His smartest move was trying to back out of it.
Artorias
AG
nai06 said:

File5 said:

A forum warrior talking **** about the richest man in the world who has started and run more successful companies than you have ever even dreamt of... would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Teslag
AG
blacksox said:

He got rich because he didn't listen to people like you and the school teacher
Agthatbuilds
nai06 said:

Ag with kids said:

nai06 said:

File5 said:

He certainly seems to be struggling with Twitter.

And if you think that the richest man in the world wouldn't care about losing roughly 25% percent of his net worth through a failed business deal, I'll have whatever your smoking. His ego can't handle that. Hell he can't even handle getting made fun of on twitter and you think he'd be ok with that big of a business loss?

As a former teacher that has only run 2 small businesses before, I don't have any similar experience as Elon. But it doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to see how poorly he is doing at running Twitter.

I mean do you honestly and objectively think he is doing a good job right now?

It's not going to be easy to rectify such a previously poorly managed company. I wouldn't sell him short though.

As a Twitter user who doesn't post anything but does get a lot of info, it's hasn't changed much for my experience, fwiw. I know it doesn't mean much.

If twitter cannot survive without highly manipulative algorithms, then maybe the best course is for it to fail.
FrioAg 00
AG
1) he doesn't need 75% of the employees to effectively run and improve Twitter operations /product

2) there is still no viable competition for "town square", preventing most from leaving.

3) advertisers will respond to short term pressure, but they'll return as soon as the smoke clears if he's retained the eyeballs

2 and 3 are time sensitive - he has to "fix" Twitter before a viable competitor appears. That's why he's moving fast.
Win At Life
AG
Zarathustra said:

You sound like a moron but I'll respond anyway. He made his money through innovation. Which is that exactly what he's trying to do with twitter. Twitter was nothing more than a propaganda arm of the Democrat party. If you have been paying attention, there was almost zero innovation in The Last 5 Years on twitter. It made no sense.

Elon said he's going to make a lot of dumb mistakes in the process. That's how great things get built.
He LOST all his money through innovation and made all his money off of enormous US taxpayer funded projects.

He's not making or losing twitter through innovation. He's losing twitter because all the left-wing woke companies that supported left-wing twitter bias are pulling all their advertising. But, yeah, maybe he should have seen that coming.
Teslag
AG
Win At Life said:

Zarathustra said:

He LOST all his money through innovation and made all his money off of enormous US taxpayer funded projects.

He's not making or losing twitter through innovation. He's losing twitter because all the left-wing woke companies that supported left-wing twitter bias are pulling all their advertising. But, yeah, maybe he should have seen that coming.
US tax payers funded Paypal and Zip2?

Interesting.
RED AG 98
AG
Innovate and redefine the personal payment industry. I don't know but I would guess bankers back then laughed at him. Ok sure.

Build the first mass scale reusable rocket system despite NASA saying it would be abject failure, which has now logged over 100 successful landings. Oh.

Design and manufacture the first mass scale electric vehicle, despite all the large automakers in Detroit and Europe saying he could never succeed. Eh?

Run a freaking social media company? ZOMG what do the neckbeards in San Francisco think? Unpossible.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Musk haters spiking the ball way too early.
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
nai06
AG
Teslag said:

blacksox said:

He got rich because he didn't listen to people like you and the school teacher
Same question as before.

Given the current state of things, do you believe he is doing a good job as CEO of Twitter? If the answer is yes, what supports this view?

Bonus Round: Would you quit your job today to start working at Twitter on Monday (comparable role)?
Teslag
AG
Quote:

Given the current state of things, do you believe he is doing a good job as CEO of Twitter? If the answer is yes, what supports this view?

Yes, purely based on his past experience and expertise. Musk has founded or early developed 4 very successful billion dollar companies. He has a talent for finding talent and getting companies to produce. People doubted Space-X and thought he was throwing his fortune away. Tesla was supposedly on bankruptcy watch for years and now it's one of the most valuable companies in the world.

Quote:

Would you quit your job today to start working at Twitter on Monday (comparable role)?

If the salary was good and still able to live in my present location yes I absolutely would 100%.
Win At Life
AG
Teslag said:

Win At Life said:

Zarathustra said:

US tax payers funded Paypal and Zip2?

Interesting.
Fair enough. I guess a few billion in government money actually is relatively small compared to the amount of revenue his companies have generated. You win this one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.