Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,880 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
sicandtiredTXN said:

Musk arouses horror to the left because current Twitter is the credentialed journalist's idea of Utopia. It's a safe space where Donald Trump doesn't exist, everyone with unorthodox thoughts or different from the left narrative is warning-labeled, and the Current Trend Thing is hyped to the moronic max. The activist media dwellers are completely horrified they may have to deal with Trump and his outspoken supporters again on the same platform. I find it hilarious frankly

At least give Taibbi his credit. It's a great article.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/twitters-chickens-come-home-to-roost?s=r
Eso si, Que es
JCA1 said:

sicandtiredTXN said:

Musk arouses horror to the left because current Twitter is the credentialed journalist's idea of Utopia. It's a safe space where Donald Trump doesn't exist, everyone with unorthodox thoughts or different from the left narrative is warning-labeled, and the Current Trend Thing is hyped to the moronic max. The activist media dwellers are completely horrified they may have to deal with Trump and his outspoken supporters again on the same platform. I find it hilarious frankly

At least give Taibbi his credit. It's a great article.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/twitters-chickens-come-home-to-roost?s=r
Maybe he is Taibbi!
Im Gipper
Quote:

Maybe he is Taibbi!

TaiBarnesi

I'm Gipper
black_ice
BAP Enthusiast said:

aggie93 said:

This makes a LOT of sense as to why the Board is willing to go down in flames to stop Musk from buying Twitter. Their fear of being sued for fiduciary issues may pale in comparison to what might happen when Elon gets his own people in there to look under all the covers. The rabbit hole is likely very, very deep.

Twitter is basically a CIA run operation at this point, this is why they will never allow it to fall into the hands of someone like Musk. I believe the reality is probably much worse than Mike Cernovich is saying here.

Agreed. This is correct.
Rockdoc
AG
Too much corruption, and now we have an idea of what's going on in this country. I fear we are lost.
captkirk
AG
aTmAg said:

Do people really put "MBA" after their name?

And I thought PhDs that demanded to be called "doctor" were hilariously obnoxious.
Nobody that I respect does
Ag with kids
AG
captkirk said:

aTmAg said:

Do people really put "MBA" after their name?

And I thought PhDs that demanded to be called "doctor" were hilariously obnoxious.
Nobody that I respect does
Agwithkids, BS

Figure out which one...
Showertime at the Bidens
black_ice said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

aggie93 said:

This makes a LOT of sense as to why the Board is willing to go down in flames to stop Musk from buying Twitter. Their fear of being sued for fiduciary issues may pale in comparison to what might happen when Elon gets his own people in there to look under all the covers. The rabbit hole is likely very, very deep.

Twitter is basically a CIA run operation at this point, this is why they will never allow it to fall into the hands of someone like Musk. I believe the reality is probably much worse than Mike Cernovich is saying here.

Agreed. This is correct.

Yep.
will25u
Take with a grain of salt, but could be coming.

Premium
AG
will25u said:

Take with a grain of salt, but could be coming.

And what grounds would they have?
TexAgs91
AG
Rockdoc said:

Too much corruption, and now we have an idea of what's going on in this country. I fear we are lost.

We've been lost and we're stating at the real prospect of becoming a communist country. It's amazing how little push back the "land of the free" is giving them.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
TexAgs91
AG
Premium said:

Show me the man I'll show you the crime.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
fka ftc
Premium said:

Alex Vindman claims to have been in the room listening to a phone call Elon had about dinner reservations and expertly concluded by "dinner" he meant an insider trading quid pro quo for the hostile takeover of Twitter.

This was confirmed when an intern on the Facebook censorship team out at happy hour hear a call with someone who was on speaker that he swears was Elon.

In America, this is all the evidence you need against a powerful figure who disagrees with leftist, communist ideas.
Rockdoc
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Rockdoc said:

We've been lost and we're stating at the real prospect of becoming a communist country. It's amazing how little push back the "land of the free" is giving them.

Yep and I'll tell you what ticks me off the most. Our Republican POLITICIANS just sit on the sidelines and watch not even lending a hand to help people trying to do good for this country. Screw them. Done with all of them.
Tailgate88
AG
black_ice said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

aggie93 said:

Agreed. This is correct.

And Twitter is just the tip of the iceberg.
aggiehawg
AG

Plan B is a tender offer. Let the music start playing and see who gets the chair when the music stops.
TexAgs91
AG
Rockdoc said:

Yep and I'll tell you what ticks me off the most. Our Republican POLITICIANS just sit on the sidelines and watch not even lending a hand to help people trying to do good for this country. Screw them. Done with all of them.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
aggiehawg
AG
These people are BSC insane over this.

Quote:

Censorship or "content modification," as used in polite company is not value maximizing for Twitter, but it is status enhancing for executives such as Agrawal. It does not matter that consumers of his product want less censorship; the company has become captive to its executives' agendas.

Twitter is not alone in pursuing such self-defeating values. Many in the mainstream media and many on the left have become some of the loudest advocates for corporate censorship. The Washington Post's Max Boot, for example, declared, "For democracy to survive, we need more content moderation, not less." MSNBC's Katy Tur warned that reintroducing free speech values on Twitter could produce "massive, life- and globe-altering consequences for just letting people run wild on the thing."
Quote:

Columnist and former Clinton Labor Secretary Robert Reich went full Orwellian in explaining why freedom is tyranny. Reich dismissed calls for free speech and warned that censorship is "necessary to protect American democracy." He then delivered a line that would make Big Brother blush: "That's Musk's dream. And Trump's. And Putin's. And the dream of every dictator, strongman, demagogue and modern-day robber baron on Earth. For the rest of us, it would be a brave new nightmare."
Link
Dad
AG
aggiehawg said:

Plan B is a tender offer. Let the music start playing and see who gets the chair when the music stops.

First, let me say that I had to google tender offer to know what it means.

If he does a tender offer does that somehow get around this poison pill?
aggiehawg
AG
Dad said:

aggiehawg said:

First, let me say that I had to google tender offer to know what it means.

If he does a tender offer does that somehow get around this poison pill?
There are different types of tender offers. Will need to see the terms.

ETA:
Quote:

Tender offers provide several advantages to investors. For example, investors are not obligated to buy shares until a set number is tendered, which eliminates large upfront cash outlays and prevents investors from liquidating stock positions if offers fail. Acquirers can also include escape clauses, releasing liability for buying shares. For example, if the government rejects a proposed acquisition citing antitrust violations, the acquirer can refuse to buy tendered shares.

In many instances, investors gain control of target companies in less than one month if shareholders accept their offers; they also generally earn more than normal investments in the stock market.
Link
fasthorse05
I always thought Reich was a benighted and ignorant follower of failed ends.

With the last quote, I now know he's just a standard, evil, POS, who would gladly murder and displace to meet the ends of the party. He's hidden it very well for a long time. His comments were always so ridiculous, but he's given away his character.
c-jags
fasthorse05 said:

With the last quote, I now know he's just a standard, evil, POS, who would gladly murder and displace to meet the ends of the party. He's hidden it very well for a long time. His comments were always so ridiculous, but he's given away his character.

The amount of blue checked people that have said things along the line of "we can't let free speech happen under (this particular) billionaire oligarchs," has been staggering.

I don't expect intellectual honesty from Reich or Max Boot, etc. but I think they're done acting like they are calling balls and strikes.
aggiehawg
AG
c-jags said:

fasthorse05 said:

The amount of blue checked people that have said things along the line of "we can't let free speech happen under (this particular) billionaire oligarchs," has been staggering.

I don't expect intellectual honesty from Reich or Max Boot, etc. but I think they're done acting like they are calling balls and strikes.
And every other word is "democracy" to "save" it, to "preserve" it., blah, blah, blah.

Censorship now equals "democracy" to these sanctimonious, self-righteous a-holes.

As I always say, you can tell Musk is over target by which pigs are squealing the loudest.
aggiehawg
AG
WaPo editorial board. Link

Quote:

Mr. Musk has promised to make Twitter a "platform for free speech around the globe." This vision is more or less the same one now-departed CEO Jack Dorsey championed throughout his tenure, and especially in the platform's early days. But like its industry peers, Twitter has moved over time toward stricter rules. That isn't because executives have changed their views, but rather because they have learned some lessons after observing how their products can be abused to manipulate elections, or spread health misinformation, or harass people en masse.
Quote:

Certainly, moderators sometimes make mistakes, and more transparency surrounding enforcement decisions is in order. But a broader backtracking would be an error. To protect speech at all costs and keep Twitter free of bots and spam, as Mr. Musk has said he would like to do, is almost impossible.

As objectionable as Mr. Musk's flippant attitude toward the challenges of balancing expression and safety has been his approach to the financial regulations that are supposed to govern his behavior.
Just delusional.
Tailgate88
AG
aggiehawg said:

WaPo editorial board. Link

Quote:

Mr. Musk has promised to make Twitter a "platform for free speech around the globe." This vision is more or less the same one now-departed CEO Jack Dorsey championed throughout his tenure, and especially in the platform's early days. But like its industry peers, Twitter has moved over time toward stricter rules. That isn't because executives have changed their views, but rather because they have learned some lessons after observing how their products can be abused to manipulate elections, or spread health misinformation, or harass people en masse.
Quote:

Certainly, moderators sometimes make mistakes, and more transparency surrounding enforcement decisions is in order. But a broader backtracking would be an error. To protect speech at all costs and keep Twitter free of bots and spam, as Mr. Musk has said he would like to do, is almost impossible.

As objectionable as Mr. Musk's flippant attitude toward the challenges of balancing expression and safety has been his approach to the financial regulations that are supposed to govern his behavior.
Just delusional.
Squeal like a pig, WaPo, Squeal!!
FrioAg 00
AG
They do not like or want free speech. It's a major threat to their propaganda and manipulation of the masses.

They are scared to death of free speech educating the population
Marcus Brutus
If you want a great example of how Nazi Germany happened, just look at the left in America today.

"Jews are bad" is now "Conservatives are bad". They must be silenced!

What happens when the powers that be squash speech they agree with? And they will.

It's mass psychosis.
techno-ag
AG
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Albatross Necklace
Marcus Brutus said:

If you want a great example of how Nazi Germany happened, just look at the left in America today.

"Jews are bad" is now "Conservatives are bad". They must be silenced!

What happens when the powers that be squash speech they agree with? And they will.

It's mass psychosis.
Actually, it's a little more pointed.

Nazis didn't merely say the Jews were bad. They blamed them for spreading the Spanish Flu pandemic.

Today, anyone opposed to vaccine mandates is blamed for spreading the COVID pandemic.
c-jags
aggiehawg said:

c-jags said:

fasthorse05 said:

And every other word is "democracy" to "save" it, to "preserve" it., blah, blah, blah.

Censorship now equals "democracy" to these sanctimonious, self-righteous a-holes.

As I always say, you can tell Musk is over target by which pigs are squealing the loudest.

They want to preserve (D)emocracy because 51% of NY, LA, WA, OR, and MA want to be able to tell the 49% how to live.

Most of the left wants to live in a multicultural democracy where 50%+1 vote equals complete consensus. The right wants to live in a representative constitutional republic where the federal government exists and has a purpose but has little to no bearing on our daily lives compared to our local governments.

I think NY's abortion laws are horrific but I don't want to rule their state by fiat and tell them what to do. I think Chicago's gun laws cause a lot of their problems. But it's their choice.
TyHolden
AG

This guy knows a thing or two about Big Tech screwing you....
nortex97
AG
I dunno if this was posted (didn't keep up this weekend), but I laughed several times.

will25u
Im Gipper
Well crap. If we can't trust a Saudi prince, who can we trust?

I'm Gipper
Womackster
AG
will25u said:

I thought that was Tony Clifton.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.