Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

326,805 Views | 2778 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by techno-ag
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Message boards are hardly what people are referring to when social media is mentioned.
. . .
TexAgs91
AG
will25u said:

And he is offering 37.87% more value than before his stock buying was published.

54.20 / 39.31 = 137.87%
FIFY
Fight! Fight! Fight!
4stringAg
AG
Musk has completely exposed them and their leftist users for the raging hypocrites and fools that they are. They'd rather lose money/die than give up control of their leftist propaganda machine. They are hypocrites because they want to censor one side of the debate while professing to be the champions of democracy.
hph6203
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

hph6203 said:

In short, no one with options gets diluted and anyone without options gets diluted, correct? I imagine if the options are non-transferable the stock price will take a minor hit based upon the unlikely scenario that Elon actually purposely steps in the trap for the giggles. I don't see how it causes a major reduction of the stock other than the perception that Elon won't be buying Twitter or that the company is more concerned with control than profits.

Minor hit? The stock price has risen 20% in the past two weeks with Elon disclosing his position, with people anticipating he'd buy more or buy the company. Musk's offer represents a 10% premium on where it closed yesterday.

There's going to be a drop and stockholders will be able to hold the Board accountable.

There's uncertainty in the future. The poison pill provision is not necessarily an outright rejection of an offer, though I'm sure many people have already believed they would reject the offer, really any offer from Musk, even before the poison pill was added. The only way the poison pill comes into play in an actionable sense is if Musk says **** it I'm triggering it just to screw with the company.

The doubt of Musk's offer being accepted was there the moment the offer was announced. The likelihood that Musk would have committed to a hostile takeover in the open market is low, because he almost certainly would have paid a higher average price to acquire 50%+1 control of the stock than he has offered. The stock price will fall on the news of the poison pill, but it would be surprising if it falls to pre-Musk announcement levels or even pre-Musk purchase start levels.

All the poison pill really does is ensures that Musk cannot acquire more influence than the board was already willing to relinquish when they offered him a board seat. Musk has no interest of owning 15% of a publicly traded Twitter. He wants it private, and he wants control.

Truthfully I'm hoping for White Knight investor and competition from Musk rather than Musk owning Twitter, because I think there is a better iteration of Twitter that is possible. Any White Knight investor is going to take an instantaneous haircut once their offer is accepted.
MarkTwain
Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
aggiehawg
AG
Twitter employees are truly certifiable.

Quote:

NPR reports that Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal sat down with company employees for an all-staff meeting on Thursday in an effort to calm those worried about Tesla CEO Elon Musk's $43 billion offer to purchase the company. During the meeting, Agrawal said that Twitter's board was considering the offer and will act in the interest of company shareholders.

One employee reportedly suggested that Musk's sudden acquisition bid felt similar to a hostage situation, a comment which Agrawal dismissed. "I don't believe we are being held hostage," Agrawal responded.
Following the meeting, many employees were reportedly upset, saying that they felt as if they were left in the dark about what was going on. Many stated that they felt that a version of Twitter owned by Musk was a "nightmare scenario" due to Musk's history as a volatile CEO.

One Twitter employee who asked to remain anonymous stated: "The culture here and this platform deserves to be protected, and I hope the Board does the brave thing and refuses the offer. Our democracy is more important than a payout. I hope the Board agrees." The worker added: "It does feel like there isn't much we can do as employees."

Musk has offered to purchase Twitter at $54.20 per share, 38 percent more than the value of Twitter stock the day before his investment was publicly announced. On Thursday, Musk tweeted: "It would be utterly indefensible not to put this offer to a shareholder vote. They own the company, not the board of directors."
Link
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Musk makes his employees work. His new factory in Austin was producing cars off the line within 6 months of breaking ground. I can see why a Twitter employee who is used to the big tech kind of culture would be freaking out. Similar to if Bezos was buying Twitter.

When the producers start owning things created by the commenters, the commenters get angry because they have to start proving value.

And lol at the comment about Twitter being a democracy.
hph6203
AG
Hostage situation. Wow.

Next thing you know he's going to remove their blue check, and it'll be just like identity theft. Who am I but a blue check online? Without that I am nothing.
USAFAg
AG
One Twitter employee who asked to remain anonymous stated: "The culture here and this platform deserves to be protected, and I hope the Board does the brave thing and refuses the offer. Our democracy is more important than a payout. I hope the Board agrees." The worker added: "It does feel like there isn't much we can do as employees."

What make me laugh at their stupidity and angry at their obstruction is that these feckless clowns really think they are "saving democracy" on Twitter....

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
MarkTwain
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

NPR reports that Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal sat down with company employees for an all-staff meeting on Thursday in an effort to calm those worried about Tesla CEO Elon Musk's $43 billion offer to purchase the company. During the meeting, Agrawal said that Twitter's board was considering the offer and will act in the interest of company shareholders.

One employee reportedly suggested that Musk's sudden acquisition bid felt similar to a hostage situation, a comment which Agrawal dismissed. "I don't believe we are being held hostage," Agrawal responded.
Following the meeting, many employees were reportedly upset, saying that they felt as if they were left in the dark about what was going on. Many stated that they felt that a version of Twitter owned by Musk was a "nightmare scenario" due to Musk's history as a volatile CEO.

Musk has offered to purchase Twitter at $54.20 per share, 38 percent more than the value of Twitter stock the day before his investment was publicly announced. On Thursday, Musk tweeted: "It would be utterly indefensible not to put this offer to a shareholder vote. They own the company, not the board of directors."
Link
These dweebs literally think they are some kind of front line warriors to save the free world. They've been so indoctrinated that they are the center of the universe and control the fate of the planet.

They can't make it in the world outside their bubble and will likely end up cutting themselves and retreating to their rooms and smoke weed until the just deteriorate into a pile of twinkie and potato chip bags.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Truthfully I'm hoping for White Knight investor and competition from Musk rather than Musk owning Twitter, because I think there is a better iteration of Twitter that is possible. Any White Knight investor is going to take an instantaneous haircut once their offer is accepted.
Any white knight acceptable to the board will just be more of the same.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
sicandtiredTXN said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Link
These dweebs literally think they are some kind of front line warriors to save the free world. They've been so indoctrinated that they are the center of the universe and control the fate of the planet.

They can't make it in the world outside their bubble and will likely end up cutting themselves and retreating to their rooms and smoke weed until the just deteriorate into a pile of twinkie and potato chip bags.

Completely believable that self proclaimed protectors of democracy have never shadow banned speech they disagree with…

I hope Elon takes them to task.
hph6203
AG
I am not optimistic about Musk's ability to buy Twitter. I want a White Knight to purchase Twitter for the sole reason that they'd lose money. I'd rather Musk do bigger things than just buy Twitter. Like upending the way the internet is monetized. The internet is built on a backbone of advertising, and advertisers are one of the largest controllers of the discourse because they have the financial leverage. The internet does not have to be built on advertising dollars.

That's a way better problem to solve than just Twitter's censorship. I want him to crush Twitter, replace it, and do more than just that.

I will be happy if he succeeds in buying Twitter. I will be happier if he succeeds in destroying Twitter with an alternative.
BMX Bandit
Personally, I hope he doesn't buy it.

Hope twitter stock price crashes & these losers in charge all lose millions.
ravingfans
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

There would've been so much beauty in him announcing this in a tweet...

Maybe he did but instead was censored?
MarkTwain
When you look at the hard numbers for Twitter, the board members have exposed themselves to potential ruination by lawsuits if they purposely tank this deal Musk has laid out for them, that is an extremely fair off. Twitter's share price has chopped along sideways for 9 years and today hovers around its 2013 IPO price. The idea that this company, which is no longer founder driven, is going to unlock more value than the 20% premium of Musk's offer is not credible, it simply is not the numbers don't lie.

What's also so bizarre are these private equity firms that are sticking their investors necks out over a business that's not all that lucrative investment wise. Twitter isn't exactly a cash machine, it made a lot of money for the initial team in the beginning but it really isn't much of a cash generating monetized machine like FaceBook, Instagram and the new hot ticket TikTok are. All this posturing by Vanguard and Thoma Bravo don't normally go after a stagnant fish like twitter, all in the name of social justice. Lots of unnecessary exposure for investors by woke portfolio handlers trying to score a worthless moral victory for what?

Regardless of the outcome of this possible buyout, Twitter has sealed it's fate for the future, and the sand is running out in the hour glass.
aTm2004
AG
Whether we like it or not, Twitter is the staple, and it will not be replaced. All a replacement can do is become an echo chamber for the right and Twitter goes even further down the loonacy hole, which doesn't seem to be Elon's goal in this.

He wants a platform for all that allows everyone's ideas to be spoken freely as long as it's within the law.
hph6203
AG
MySpace is the staple.
MGS
This reminds me of Jerry Yang turning down stupid money from Microsoft
aTm2004
AG
aggiehawg
AG
aTm2004 said:

Whether we like it or not, Twitter is the staple, and it will not be replaced. All a replacement can do is become an echo chamber for the right and Twitter goes even further down the loonacy hole, which doesn't seem to be Elon's goal in this.

He wants a platform for all that allows everyone's ideas to be spoken freely as long as it's within the law.
But it can commit suicide and leave the sector.
hph6203
AG
To unseat a market leader you just have to provide a key feature that the other platform does not have and would be hard to replicate.

Facebook had exclusivity (MySpace could not replicate this)
It had homogeneity
It had a news feed

It is, in theory, possible to pay creators for attention or engagement without being beholden to advertising brands as a platform. Brands can choose to associate with individuals on the platform, but the platform can remain brand agnostic. Especially when that company is not constructed to return dollar value, but rather just operate in a sustainable way.

You can do this, theoretically, by tokenizing attention. You could, for example, dedicate a portion of a devices computing power towards mining a coin that distributes a proportion of the proceeds to the content creator that generated engagements (likes, retweets, or some other metric) and a proportion to the company for operating the platform.

I am sure someone as smart as Elon has plenty of ideas on how to make Twitter a more appealing place monetarily for the company and it's users and if I know anything about lefties, it's that they may talk **** about rich people and that they should be taxed more, but they sure as hell want to be one.
aggiehawg
AG
hph6203 said:

To unseat a market leader you just have to provide a key feature that the other platform does not have and would be hard to replicate.

Facebook had exclusivity (MySpace could not replicate this)
It had homogeneity
It had a news feed

It is, in theory, possible to pay creators for attention or engagement without being beholden to advertising brands as a platform. Brands can choose to associate with individuals on the platform, but the platform can remain brand agnostic. Especially when that company is not constructed to return dollar value, but rather just operate in a sustainable way.

You can do this, theoretically, by tokenizing attention. You could, for example, dedicate a portion of a devices computing power towards mining a coin that distributes a proportion of the proceeds to the content creator that generated engagements (likes, retweets, or some other metric) and a proportion to the company for operating the platform.

I am sure someone as smart as Elon has plenty of ideas on how to make Twitter a more appealing place monetarily for the company and it's users and if I know anything about lefties, it's that they may talk **** about rich people and that they should be taxed more, but they sure as hell want to be one.
Elon has a Plan B, a Plan C and likely a Plan D. One of those is activating his own competitive site that has both of those attributes you have pointed out.
aggie93
AG
This makes a LOT of sense as to why the Board is willing to go down in flames to stop Musk from buying Twitter. Their fear of being sued for fiduciary issues may pale in comparison to what might happen when Elon gets his own people in there to look under all the covers. The rabbit hole is likely very, very deep.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
aggiehawg
AG
aggie93 said:

This makes a LOT of sense as to why the Board is willing to go down in flames to stop Musk from buying Twitter. Their fear of being sued for fiduciary issues may pale in comparison to what might happen when Elon gets his own people in there to look under all the covers. The rabbit hole is likely very, very deep.

Worse, it would make their required statements to the SEC and the public materially misleading. Securities fraud. BIG TIME.
hph6203
AG
Yes, and the part you left unbolded is part of a discussion he had with Cathie Wood and Jack Dorsey, who lamented the advertising obligations that he had while running Twitter, because had blockchain technology been around when he started Twitter it could have been operated with less reliance on ads.

I extrapolated meaning out of what he's saying, and what I suggested is maybe not what he meant, but it is definitely one possible use case for blockchain.

9:00 mark
TexAgs91
AG
sicandtiredTXN said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Link

Control of the narrative is the front lines.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
BusterAg
AG
aggie93 said:

I'm also betting that there is incriminating evidence about Twitter and Amazon working together to kill Parler.

That would be interesting.
will25u
hph6203
AG
Read that thread. Agree with very little of what he said. Give people the tools to curate the experience they want for themselves. Allow third parties to create tools for the app as extensions so if you wanna be a bubble boy you can. Make the bae platform agnostic to information.
fasthorse05
aggiehawg said:

BMX Bandit said:

Thats a different report. Recommending buy/sell is not same as company valuation
Twitter is not like a RJR Nabisco with all sorts of divisions and different revenue streams. There's no break-up value there, AFAIK.

And their goodwill value just went out of the window.
It just sounds funny to put Goodwill value and Twitter in the same sentence!
. . .

aggiehawg
AG
fasthorse05 said:

aggiehawg said:

BMX Bandit said:

Thats a different report. Recommending buy/sell is not same as company valuation
Twitter is not like a RJR Nabisco with all sorts of divisions and different revenue streams. There's no break-up value there, AFAIK.

And their goodwill value just went out of the window.
It just sounds funny to put Goodwill value and Twitter in the same sentence!
It is a thing for business evaluation.

It is no longer a thing for Twitter.
BAP Enthusiast
aggie93 said:

Twitter is basically a CIA run operation at this point, this is why they will never allow it to fall into the hands of someone like Musk. I believe the reality is probably much worse than Mike Cernovich is saying here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.