Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,877 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
jjtrcka22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I didn't get that either for a free app. Maybe there is some kind of add revenue they get based off downloads and that gets taxed.
DeLaHonta
AG
Elon just learned about the 30% Apple App Store tax? Didn't Epic Games already litigate this very thing against Apple (and lose) just a year ago?

ETA: for those wondering, Elon is somehow just now learning that, if he charges $8/month for Twitter Blue, then Apple gets $2.40 of that as part of this (if they sign up/pay through the app).
Mr President Elect
AG
Sea Speed said:

What is the pay 30% in reference to?
Probably the $8 blue check. But also, he complains about the monopolies them and google have over the app stores in general.
Showertime at the Bidens
Mr President Elect said:

Sea Speed said:

Probably the $8 blue check. But also, he complains about the monopolies them and google have over the app stores in general.

Apple takes 30% from the App Store
Mr President Elect
AG
DeLaHonta said:

Elon just learned about the 30% Apple App Store tax? Didn't Epic Games already litigate this very thing against Apple (and lose) just a year ago?
He's known about it. I think his bigger concern is Apple trying to throw their weight around and censor twitter. He said the other day that he will create a phone if push comes to shove.
JobSecurity
AG
Sea Speed said:

What does Apple use to gauge the income? Twitter is free so what do they charge 30% on?

In app purchases. So if he charges $8 for blue and you buy it through the app they take 30%

A very small number of companies have tried to get around it. Look into the epic games v apple case from a couple years ago
Charpie
AG
Zarathustra said:

Mr President Elect said:

Sea Speed said:

Apple takes 30% from the App Store

They are acting as a payment processor here. I don't think this is that big a deal.

I will also say that it's pretty dumb to call Apple unamerican for not advertising. I mean, they are a private company and can choose where to advertise.
Mr President Elect
AG
JobSecurity said:

Sea Speed said:

What does Apple use to gauge the income? Twitter is free so what do they charge 30% on?

In app purchases. So if he charges $8 for blue and you buy it through the app they take 30%

A very small number of companies have tried to get around it. Look into the epic games v apple case from a couple years ago
I think he is threatening apple right now. I don't think he will go the lawsuit route. Apple would be really dumb not to cave. They have a stranglehold on the spartphone industry... for now.
DeLaHonta
AG
Mr President Elect said:

I think he is threatening apple right now. I don't think he will go the lawsuit route. Apple would be really dumb not to cave.
Lol
Sea Speed
AG
Couldn't they just buy it directly from Twitter and not through the appstore? I dont ever buy stuff through app store so I guess I'm a bit behind the times.
Mr President Elect
AG
Sea Speed said:

Couldn't they just buy it directly from Twitter and not through the appstore? I dont ever buy stuff through app store so I guess I'm a bit behind the times.
Yeah, a lot of apps don't even let you buy through the app b/c of this (i.e. Spotify). I don't think this fuss is about the 30% at all, he is just calling them out over it, but is much more about their threats to take Twitter off the App store.
Mr President Elect
AG
DeLaHonta said:

Mr President Elect said:

I think he is threatening apple right now. I don't think he will go the lawsuit route. Apple would be really dumb not to cave.
Lol
I'm not so much talking about the 30% part, but about their threats to remove Twitter. He is just using the 30% stuff to send some public angst their way.
awinlonghorn
Tesla dosent advertise on Twitter. They never have.

Surely Tesla is unamerican and dosent support free speech?
Mr President Elect
AG
A bit of a difference between not advertising and pulling advertisement.
Charpie
AG
You cannot add an app to your phone without the appstore on an apple device. You can jailbreak your phone to load apps outside of the appstore, but risk breaking the operating system on your phone. Apple and Google have a monopoly on app distribution because they are the market dominator on their devices.

Apple acts like a payment processor for these transactions, which, in their mind, justifies the 30 percent charge of processing the transaction.
Teslag
AG
awinlonghorn said:

Tesla doesn't advertise anywhere so that's not really a fair comparison.
Sea Speed
AG
I know that they are the monopolies on apps,, but you could go to Twitter.com or m.twitter.comand buy the same thing because Twitter isn't only an app. Musk could simply require all payments go through Twitter itself.

Charpie
AG
You could
akm91
AG
awinlonghorn said:

What a crazy line of thinking this is.
Actual Talking Thermos
Mr President Elect said:

DeLaHonta said:

He's known about it. I think his bigger concern is Apple trying to throw their weight around and censor twitter. He said the other day that he will create a phone if push comes to shove.
I have no doubt Elon could get some kind of smartphone manufactured and brought to market, and he'd be able to sell them to his little fanbase and some other random people, but it would be barely a ripple in the overall smartphone market. Don't get me wrong, getting into a pissing match with Elon and ending up with no Twitter app on iPhone would definitely hurt Apple, but it would destroy Twitter and any hope Elon might have of making it profitable. Twitter needs Apple more than Apple needs Twitter.
Mr President Elect
AG
Actual Talking Thermos said:

Mr President Elect said:

DeLaHonta said:

I have no doubt Elon could get some kind of smartphone manufactured and brought to market, and he'd be able to sell them to his little fanbase and some other random people, but it would be barely a ripple in the overall smartphone market. Don't get me wrong, getting into a pissing match with Elon and ending up with no Twitter app on iPhone would definitely hurt Apple, but it would destroy Twitter and any hope Elon might have of making it profitable. Twitter needs Apple more than Apple needs Twitter.
1. It would be bad for twitter no doubt, but I don't think it would kill it, you can easily use it as a PWA on your phone.

2. As far as market penetration, lots of people would leave Apple out of spite, maybe not go to Elon's phone, but maybe Android. Also, would be interesting to see if Elon would bring any innovation to the space as it has been a bit stagnant for a while now.
Charpie
AG
This is true. Twitter isn't even the top 10 of revenue generating apps for iPhone. Plus, you can access twitter content through a ton of other apps like hootsuite and the like
Mr President Elect
AG
Charpie said:

This is true. Twitter isn't even the top 10 of revenue generating apps for iPhone. Plus, you can access twitter content through a ton of other apps like hootsuite and the like
I'm not sure how they would be top 10 as they don't really charge for anything yet, even the $8 blue check thing got paused. I am not familar with hootsuite, but I would imagine they would be forced to remove access to Twitter if they want to stay in the app store. This isn't about Apple vs Twitter though, as Apple would easily win that battle. This is potentially Apple vs Elon.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Actual Talking Thermos said:

Mr President Elect said:

DeLaHonta said:

Simply amazing how much Elon was ruffled liberals Jimmies
Mr President Elect
AG
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Elon is a threat to Democracy!!!!!!!!
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Does he mean today? I'm at a stopping point at the office....
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
captkirk
AG
Mr President Elect said:

TexasAggie_02
awinlonghorn
The purpose of advertising is to drive sales. The advertiser makes ther decision based on a variety of factors.

If Twitter is so great at driving sales, why dosent Tesla advertise there?

Musk is making the argument Apple dosent support free speech since they stopped and don't advertise as much on Twitter. It could be for a variety of reasons. I am sure one of them is they don't want to give money to musk.

Should advertisers be forced to advertise on newspapers , platforms and other channels if it dosent fit with that view as brand sale? Serious q? Why dosent tesla advertise on Twitter ?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
awinlonghorn said:

The purpose of advertising is to drive sales. The advertiser makes ther decision based on a variety of factors.

If Twitter is so great at driving sales, why dosent Tesla advertise there?

Musk is making the argument Apple dosent support free speech since they stopped and don't advertise as much on Twitter. It could be for a variety of reasons. I am sure one of them is they don't want to give money to musk.

Should advertisers be forced to advertise on newspapers , platforms and other channels if it dosent fit with that view as brand sale? Serious q? Why dosent tesla advertise on Twitter ?

Tesla doesn't do any advertising. But you were already told that.
fka ftc
One thing Twitter utterly failed at was monetizing the reach of a user. Certain twitter accounts could be monetized due to their followers. The most followers generally related to the popularity/fame of an individual or company, both of which effectively "owned" that account and what was posted.

The advertisers just went to the account owners and twitter was left out. Elon will not make the same mistake. Your reach and verifications will be controlled by twitter more and more and you will pay for that.

It may be $8 for the initial blue checkmark but Elon has already said it would range based on certain factors.

Mr. Cook, you want that grey checkmark by the @Apple official twitter, that will be $10MM / month. Obviously over simplifying but if you are a company or brand or person and you are making money by advertising product on twitter, Elon is going to get a cut..
awinlonghorn
So what??? Why don't they support free speech?

Company a stops advertising on Twitter. Dosent support free speech

Company b also does no advertising on Twitter , bastion of free speech.

Both spend zero but one is worse because the owner says so. Apple also has its own ad platform . Maybe they decided to spend on their own platforms. Or better yet spend where they get a return for their money.
awinlonghorn
This is false. I run a budget with hundreds of millions. You had to pay twitter for reach starting jn 2014. All platforms forced change starting w Facebook in 2013.

Twitter does not have the ad sophistication or ad types other platforms do.
fka ftc
awinlonghorn said:

This is false. I run a budget with hundreds of millions. You had to pay twitter for reach starting jn 2014. All platforms forced change starting w Facebook in 2013.

Twitter does not have the ad sophistication or ad types other platforms do.
So twitter doesn't make money because of bad programming (ad sophistication / ad types)?

So if Kim Kardashian wanted to promote Boudreaux's Butt Paste, Kim and Boudreaux had to sit down with Twitter and divide up the pie? Was not aware Twitter was involved and got a cut.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.