Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

290,875 Views | 2673 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TRADUCTOR
Touchless
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nai06 said:

Teslag said:

blacksox said:

How did Elon get so rich. He's tearing about one of the country's most popular social media sites in record time. Dude is acting like an idiot and it's going to blow up in his face.

He got rich because he didn't listen to people like you and the school teacher
Same question as before.

Given the current state of things, do you believe he is doing a good job as CEO of Twitter? If the answer is yes, what supports this view?

Bonus Round: Would you quit your job today to start working at Twitter on Monday (comparable role)?
It's only been like two weeks. Do you regularly say new CEOs are doing a bad job after two weeks? Way more time is needed to see how things change with Twitter before forming an informed opinion. Kind of dumb to speculate on it only 2 weeks in to be honest. Given his track record though, I say he's likely to turn it around.

I would not move to California, so I'm likely out on working at Twitter. An opportunity to work with Musk directly in general though taking California out of it, that's a yes. You can learn a significant amount from him that isn't specific to Twitter that could really grow your career.
Ag with kids
AG
nai06 said:

Ag with kids said:

nai06 said:

File5 said:

Twitter has only made a profit in 2018 and 2019 in it's entire existence - why would Elon want to keep any of the people who were part of that? He's got room to change the business model and he's trying things out. In addition, many (most?) of us don't really care if he succeeds or not, we are just glad to see the Twitterati get their comeuppance.

Elon still has to run a company unless his goal is to shut it down. People that he actually needs for the company to function are leaving. I think he assumes that he can just replace them but at this point who is actually going to voluntarily go work at Twitter?

Oh and as of this morning he has suspended new Twitter Blue subscriptions. The option to subscribe has disappeared. Not sure how long that will last.

Look I would love for Twitter to survive. Despite it's many faults I think it's had a net positive effect. But if it's going to go down in flames, I can't imagine a more deserving (and funnier) person to be left holding the $44 billion bag than Elon Musk.
Elon could literally set fire to $44 billion dollars and he'd still be the richest man in the world. I doubt the money bothers him in the least.

But, you should contact him. It's obvious a former teacher and now corporate recruiter knows way more about running businesses than him since you've run zero and he's currently running 5 or 6...you could give him some advice about how to make money - he seems to have trouble doing that.

He certainly seems to be struggling with Twitter.

And if you think that the richest man in the world wouldn't care about losing roughly 25% percent of his net worth through a failed business deal, I'll have whatever your smoking. His ego can't handle that. Hell he can't even handle getting made fun of on twitter and you think he'd be ok with that big of a business loss?

As a former teacher that has only run 2 small businesses before, I don't have any similar experience as Elon. But it doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to see how poorly he is doing at running Twitter.

I mean do you honestly and objectively think he is doing a good job right now?

He's had it for 2 weeks - cool your jets on your doom and gloom...

And again, if he lost that $44B he'd still be richer than Bezos...but, you keep backseat driving for him.
Teslag
AG
Yep it's been two weeks. And if you look at what's being said about him it's the same things people said about Tesla 3 or 4 years ago. They thought Musk's "erratic behavior" and such would lead to Tesla's demise. And they believed that he couldn't possibly know how to run a car company, much less found one. There were manufacturing issues, delays, QC problems, etc. And they still have some of those. But Musk's vision and tenacity endured and it's now the 3rd most valuable car company on earth.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
nai06 said:

Teslag said:

blacksox said:

How did Elon get so rich. He's tearing about one of the country's most popular social media sites in record time. Dude is acting like an idiot and it's going to blow up in his face.

Same question as before.

Given the current state of things, do you believe he is doing a good job as CEO of Twitter? If the answer is yes, what supports this view?

Bonus Round: Would you quit your job today to start working at Twitter on Monday (comparable role)?

^
^
^

This titan of industry calling the new CEO a failure after two weeks (never mind the CEO is by far the richest man in the world).
nai06
AG
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

nai06 said:

Teslag said:

blacksox said:

Same question as before.

^
^
^

This titan of industry calling the new CEO a failure after two weeks (never mind the CEO is by far the richest man in the world).
Specifically what has he done so far that gives you confidence he is taking the company in the right direction? Y'all want to point to his past successes as proof that he knows what he is doing. But what is he doing right now? Someone give me some examples of this genius business acumen that proves he has a handle on twitter and it's direction.

Elon Musk fanboys are so weird.
Ag with kids
AG
nai06 said:

nai06 said:

Teslag said:

blacksox said:

Same question as before.

^
^
^

Specifically what has he done so far that gives you confidence he is taking the company in the right direction? Y'all want to point to his past successes as proof that he knows what he is doing. But what is he doing right now? Someone give me some examples of this genius business acumen that proves he has a handle on twitter and it's direction.

Elon Musk haters are worse...

But, he's cleared out a lot of dead wood from the company, gotten rid of management that was doing nothing to improve Twitter, got rid of left wing censorship of the right (this is the part that really irks you)...

Again...it's 2 weeks and you've already shut the company down.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
nai06 said:

nai06 said:

Teslag said:

blacksox said:

Same question as before.

^
^
^

I'm not an Elon Musk fanboy by any definition. I just think you look incredibly stupid on this thread. Posting another laugh/cry emoji should help though. Give it a shot.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's just been a few weeks and he's gone with the approach of throwing out big ideas and rattling cages in a big way, which is exactly what I's expect from his style. He'll steadily find out what may work, what to discard, and get this on a path that works. Anyone that thought he'd ease into things or that every new idea would be gold right away don't have a clue
Touchless
AG
nai06 said:

nai06 said:

Teslag said:

blacksox said:

Same question as before.

^
^
^

I feel like you just aren't understanding that completely overhauling a company to make them stronger and actually profitable takes time. I think you need to...

LightningDammitt
AG
nai06 said:

nai06 said:

Teslag said:

blacksox said:

Same question as before.

^
^
^

You obviously do not understand Musk's intentions...

They are pretty clear for the critical thinkers out there...

1) Transform twitter to a free speech platform. (Being profitable is only an iinferred interest)

OR

2) Shut down the progressive media controlled environment it has become. Burning it all down IS a consideration in the extreme circumstance...
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Ignore Nai. Arrived in this thread with an axe to grind.
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
LightningDammitt
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Honest question then... what is this axe he is grinding?
Premium
AG
nai06 said:

Premium said:

nai06 said:

File5 said:

Twitter has only made a profit in 2018 and 2019 in it's entire existence - why would Elon want to keep any of the people who were part of that? He's got room to change the business model and he's trying things out. In addition, many (most?) of us don't really care if he succeeds or not, we are just glad to see the Twitterati get their comeuppance.

Elon still has to run a company unless his goal is to shut it down. People that he actually needs for the company to function are leaving. I think he assumes that he can just replace them but at this point who is actually going to voluntarily go work at Twitter?

Oh and as of this morning he has suspended new Twitter Blue subscriptions. The option to subscribe has disappeared. Not sure how long that will last.

Look I would love for Twitter to survive. Despite it's many faults I think it's had a net positive effect. But if it's going to go down in flames, I can't imagine a more deserving (and funnier) person to be left holding the $44 billion bag than Elon Musk.
Considering Twitters hiring practices included hiring extreme far left liberals, I assume the other 90% of the population are now candidates to apply.

Given the current state of the company, would you leave your current role and go work for Twitter on Monday?

If coding was my thing and I didn't run a business already…. Yeah
Teslag
AG
LightningDammitt said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Honest question then... what is this axe he is grinding?

He hates free speech
Charpie
AG
The FTC getting involved is bad. The fact that there are mumblings that user data is being leaked to China for a cost is really bad.
will25u
bmks270
AG
I've heard a few first hand accounts of what it's like working for Musk, and it's hell. He gets more out of people than they would put forth without his intensity, but he treats employees poorly and has zero empathy, and I mean zero. He is never wrong (in his mind), and often ignores advice from senior level engineers that ends up costing time and money. The thing is, he has infinitely deep pockets. He doesn't care about the money. He will turn Twitter into the organization he wants it to be, and I don't think he cares about making a return on investment. He'll just keep throwing money at it. It's a private company now, the organization is accountable to him and nobody else.
Ag with kids
AG
bmks270 said:

I've heard a few first hand accounts of what it's like working for Musk, and it's hell. He gets more out of people than they would put forth without his intensity, but he treats employees poorly and has zero empathy, and I mean zero. He is never wrong (in his mind), and often ignores advice from senior level engineers that ends up costing time and money. The thing is, he has infinitely deep pockets. He doesn't care about the money. He will turn Twitter into the organization he wants it to be, and I don't think he cares about making a return on investment. He'll just keep throwing money at it. It's a private company now, the organization is accountable to him and nobody else.
He sounds a lot like Steve Jobs...
TexasAggie_02
AG
Ag with kids said:

bmks270 said:

He sounds a lot like Steve Jobs...
whom the left loved....hmmm. Somethings (D)ifferent this time
Faustus
I'm what passes for a CM in these parts, and I love Musk.

SpaceX is doing incredible things.

As for Twitter, it's become a lot more amusing of late.
BAP Enthusiast

It's incredible that they thought this was acceptable behavior. Why would you put this in writing?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Some interesting insight on this show from Taylor, who built ad campaigns during his career. He speculates the companies cutting advertising dollars will be back in short order, as they have repeatedly done in the past.

Taylors input:

Or here's the full discussion:
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
Bubblez
BAP Enthusiast said:

It's incredible that they thought this was acceptable behavior. Why would you put this in writing?
There are companies that value and thrive upon fully open discourse and debate. They don't want a bunch of yes-people. Twitter was like that before Elon.

RED AG 98
AG
Hahaha are you serious right now? Twitter and Bay Area tech in general has never allowed open discourse on many topics. Perhaps on tech but it's a bizarro F16 echo chamber if there ever was one.

Source - me!
chap
AG
Bubblez said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

There are companies that value and thrive upon fully open discourse and debate. They don't want a bunch of yes-people. Twitter was like that before Elon.

Did you just really say that before Elon Twitter valued open discourse and debate?
BAP Enthusiast
Bubblez said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

You don't disparage the owner of the company in writing on internal communication. That's utterly stupid.

There is a huge difference between conversations about what the company is doing and how it can be improved and badmouthing they owners and how things are done in writing. The former is smart, the latter will get you fired.
Teslag
AG
Bubblez said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Twitter was also losing billions per year before Elon.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Bubblez said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

People in their mom's basement probably shouldn't comment on...well...anything.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Quit quoting the tweet please
AtlAg05
AG
They're back, Ligma & Johnson

pacecar02
The best employees twitter never had!
TexasAggie_02
AG
Premium
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Love this
TexasAggie_02
AG
Harry Stone
AG
Bubblez said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

i take it you've never owned a business

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.