Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,720 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Total snake bro just hanging out.

Mildly hijacking the thread here: Wondering if any of you boys have some other pics of indigos that y'all have taken recently. Or, if you could point me to the pages on the snake threads that contain indigo pics.
krosch11
AG
Page 44 is the only other page in this thread with an indigo.
SteveBott
AG
As many as you want

https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/indigo-snake
Andrew Dufresne
I'm not considering having one as a pet or anything, but I am curious if they are able to become good pets. How does a indigo compare to let's say a corn snake as far as being pet friendly goes?
SteveBott
AG
Well you would have to feed one with rattlesnakes so not sure you would be up to that
12f Mane
AG
Never kept one but from what I am told they are not good captives. They have a high metabolism so eat and **** constantly, roam a lot so they aren't fond of being confined, and I believe illegal to keep in Texas.

Andrew Dufresne
12f Mane said:

Such a cool looking snake.
txags92
AG
12f Mane said:

Never kept one but from what I am told they are not good captives. They have a high metabolism so eat and **** constantly, roam a lot so they aren't fond of being confined, and I believe illegal to keep in Texas.

My sister had one that she used as an education animal while she was working at a zoo and it was her favorite snake ever. She said it was super docile and easy to handle. She wasn't directly responsible for feeding it or cleaning up after it, so the keepers may have had another opinion.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Friend posted this. I have a guess but not for sure. Tomball area.
Daddy-O5
AG
Watersnake. Blotched/PB I believe.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I was thinking broad banded but I think I at least got the water snake part right. I can never get the exact one though. Lol.
12f Mane
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

Watersnake. Blotched/PB I believe.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
2ndChanceAg96 said:

I was thinking broad banded but I think I at least got the water snake part right. I can never get the exact one though. Lol.

Plain bellied - no pattern or "chalk lines" running perpendicular to body. Juveniles will have a very defined pattern.

Broad Banded - darker body with yellow/orange bands that remind me of flames.

Diamondback - typically green with black "chainlink" pattern.
12f Mane
AG
We have 8 species of watersnake (Nerodia) in the state.

Yellowbellied watersnakes and blotched watersnakes are the same species. In the east they look like this:

Central and western part of the state they look more like this:

Broad-banded watersnakes almost always have orange/yellow broadly spaced bands and bright faces

Diamondback watersnakes have a distinctive greenish/tan color and chainlink pattern ("diamonds" on top)

And a few that never get posted but are present in Texas:

Mississippi green watersnakes are fairly non-descript. Pattern similar to diamondbacks. Pretty much only turn up in marshy areas in the far eastern part of the state

Gulf saltmarsh snakes are striped and live in brackish coastal habitats

There's an interesting population (and only one in the state) of northern watersnakes in central/north Dallas. Debated whether they are native or introduced.

One of the few endemic herps to Texas, the Brazos River watersnake. Only found in the Brazos and a few tribs north of Glenrose or so.

I don't have any photos of the last species, the Concho watersnake. They look a lot like the Brazos though.
OnlyForNow
AG
With such a different head shape, I find it interesting that the BRWS is a nerodia, knowing that phenotype isn't the end all be all regarding speciation.
12f Mane
AG
Yep, very Thamnophis like. It's an adaptation to eating fish in riffles and needing to squeeze their head and neck in between rocks for their prey.
Sea Speed
AG
I posted a Mississippi green watersnake several years ago. It is the only one I recall having seen on these threads in years.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You also had a Crayfish snake earlier this year, right? Two unique snakes you have found!
Sea Speed
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

You also had a Crayfish snake earlier this year, right? Two unique snakes you have found!

Indeed! The first time I had ever heard of either of those snakes was when I caught them and subsequently posted their photos here.
12f Mane
AG
Trailblazer
Sea Speed
AG
12f Mane said:

Trailblazer

Regular ole snake whisperer.

MJ20/20
AG
Sea Speed said:

12f Mane said:

Trailblazer

Regular ole snake whisperer.

You knew Jenny Harrington too? Lived over off Holleman around 2001.
TexasAggie73
AG
What do I have here?
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Hognose
MyNameIsJeff
AG
TexasAggie73 said:

What do I have here?

Eastern hognose. Mild, prey specific venom, but harmless to humans and pets.

I still have yet to ever see one in the wild.
TexasAggie73
AG
His was found in Spring at the nature preserve walkway off 99.
HtownAg92
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

TexasAggie73 said:

What do I have here?

Eastern hognose. Mild, prey specific venom, but harmless to humans and pets.

I still have yet to ever see one in the wild.
We saw 2 of them in a matter of a couple of days at our house in the Garden Oaks area of Houston. Very cool. Bowed up like a cobra to warn us off. Was my first entry into the OB Snake ID thread.
maroonblood90
AG
They are cool snakes. My son has kept a couple he caught as pets for awhile.
TresPuertas
AG
are we allowed to post IG links here?

because this is cool:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxSlCUXxgv3/?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==
TacosaurusRex
danieljustin06
AG
That is awesome. I don't think I've seen a mimicking being used as bait like that before.
Mr. Frodo
AG
That thing ain't fair. Looks like something you'd see in the ocean … not in a desert snake.
Badace52
AG
TresPuertas said:

are we allowed to post IG links here?

because this is cool:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxSlCUXxgv3/?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

These guys are pretty amazing. They weren't officially described as a species until 2006. When they were first found in the early 2000s, the discoverers thought they were another species of horned viper with a deformity of the tail. It wasn't until the feeding behavior was observed that they realized it was a whole new species.

Several species of snake use the tips of their tails as lures, so it is not unique to these vipers. Though the tail adaptation is pretty spectacular in this species.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
danieljustin06 said:

That is awesome. I don't think I've seen a mimicking being used as bait like that before.

It's incredible.
3 Toed Pete
AG
So that snake on IG was a cottonmouth, right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.