Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

284,034 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
1990AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rak1693 said:

Have any of y'all heard that some rattlesnakes have quit rattling when they feel threatened in fear of nearby hogs? I've heard they've kind of adapted to not attract a hog's attention but idk if that's true.
IN

Stive
AG
Poor little full-tummy rat snake.
Daddy-O5
AG
rak1693 said:

Have any of y'all heard that some rattlesnakes have quit rattling when they feel threatened in fear of nearby hogs? I've heard they've kind of adapted to not attract a hog's attention but idk if that's true.
Hog-wash
Stive
AG
rak1693 said:

Yeah, it's widely known that they've been sending memos and texting each other for years about the impending danger. Apparently many of them are finally getting the message.
txags92
AG
rak1693 said:

Oh yeah, we have heard those stories. And no, there is zero truth to them.
agcrock2005
AG
rak1693 said:

Edit: nm, lot of people beat me to it!
MAS444
AG
They wanted to but couldn't get Brad, Terry and Mitch's approval.
Txgunrnnr
AG
rak1693 said:

And they've been know to wear hats too!
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
rak1693
AG
txags92 said:

rak1693 said:

Oh yeah, we have heard those stories. And no, there is zero truth to them.

I didn't think so but figured I'd run it by the OB to be certain.
davidmargarita
AG
Found this guy while walking on the Heights Hike/Bike trail. PBWS? Looks like a biker got to him before he could cross the trail

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Hognose
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Now I hate bike riders even more!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Not a snake, but anybody know what kind of turtle this is?
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Not a snake, but anybody know what kind of turtle this is?

Three-toed box turtle

TPWD tracks sightings, http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/boxturtles
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Cool! Will report it, thanks!
Scriffer
AG
Help on this one at Daingerfield State Park? Kinda far away, but a Google lens search from closer that didn't save says western pygmy rattlesnake
Badace52
AG
It is pretty far away, but I'm pretty sure Google lens is correct.

Very cool snakes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stive
AG
I'll defer to BadAce

I'd of guessed Timber Rattler. My sister ran across one in her yard a few years ago that looked almost exactly like that one. She lives about 20 miles from Daingerfield SP. we thought it was a Timber but maybe it was a Pygmy.
Stive
AG
Badace52 said:

It is pretty far away, but I'm pretty sure Google lens is correct.

Very cool snakes.

Are western Pygmy's in east Texas?

ETA: just looked at the map and sure enough. I didn't realize they covered that area.
Scriffer
AG
Wow pretty crazy. Just in the middle of the lake trail. My buddy see it moving, otherwise we would have walked right on it. A little scary because we had our 4 & 5 year old girls with us
Badace52
AG
It's definitely not a timber. I'm about 98% sure that's a pygmy rattlesnake. They definitely do make it into east texas and have been spotted in that general area before.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Well snakes are out and about, but as long as you don't step directly on them, they will get out of your way. But stepping on them is a hazard.

Stepped on a small ratsnake while dewberry picking earlier this week and it shook its tail like a rattler to try and scare me.

Worked pretty good... my heart skipped a solid beat and I jumped off it . By the time I came back down I realized what it was since I felt the vibration and never heard a rattle. Then I saw it.
12f Mane
AG
Definitely a pygmy and a really neat and rare find. Super cool.
P.U.T.U
AG
7 snakes on my run today, 1 brown snake, 1 rat snake (hanging out by the water with some water snakes), and 5 diamondback water snakes. I really do need to find a small camera that I can take on runs with me. I leave my phone at home since my runs are my way to disconnect from the world for a little
Jspeck333
https://share.icloud.com/photos/06bVsZYPOBHVEYJogqTsIlhGALooking for verification on the snake in the link. I believe it is a corn snake in Bear Creek Park just outside northwest of Houston.

FYI - First time post...
Jspeck333
https://share.icloud.com/photos/06bVsZYPOBHVEYJogqTsIlhGA

Looking for verification on the snake in the link. I believe it is a corn snake in Bear Creek Park just outside northwest of Houston.

FYI - First Second time post...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Diamondback Water snake
Daddy-O5
AG
Looks like a Diamondback watersnake to me.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
16th green pond at Traditions

AG
Another diamondback water snake.
P.U.T.U
AG
Diamondbacks are out and about, I have been seeing more of those than anything else lately.
DDSO
AG
Dog found this in the back yard. This is the best picture I could get. Neither the snake nor the dog would cooperate for a good pic. Speckled king was about 2-2.5 feet maybe.
maroon barchetta
That's a beauty.
Ag 11
AG
P.U.T.U said:

7 snakes on my run today, 1 brown snake, 1 rat snake (hanging out by the water with some water snakes), and 5 diamondback water snakes. I really do need to find a small camera that I can take on runs with me. I leave my phone at home since my runs are my way to disconnect from the world for a little

Cool! Where?
BoykinAg2017
AG
Not sure on this one, but I'm guessing rat snake? Just north of Toledo Bend

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.