Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,632 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
jgh85Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With a name like mockingbird ag, I can understand the fear of snakes.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
P.U.T.U
AG
I do to move them or to show kids about snakes, also how to handle them
Sea Speed
AG
P.U.T.U said:

I do to move them or to show kids about snakes, also how to handle them

That is really all I care to do as well, teach my kids about the great outdoors.

Tbh though I had never heard that rat snakes spray a musk so now I'm not sure if I want to handle one if one shows up.
P.U.T.U
AG
The musk is real, I wear gloves if they are available. When I am at my property I have them on me at all times. But most of the time I see snakes on the trails by the house on my runs so my hands stink for 3 days
aggiedata
AG
Mockingbird Ag said:

Help! There is a ratsnake IN MY HOUSE. The cats have been hiding for 3 days, acting really strange. I just saw it sliding along the wall. What do I do? How can I catch it?

Mockingbird Ag
AG
Caught the snake with my homemade snake catcher and took it out to the pasture. Thanks for the help!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Nice! For someone reason I read your post as the snake was hiding in the wall instead of sliding up a wall.
SteveBott
AG
My Musk story.

So about 20 years ago when I still got a thing called a newspaper. I wake up and roll out to pick my Sunday special. Damn if a nice 5 foot rat is going through my yard. Without hesitating I catch up to it and grab that bad boy. I was one proud papa.

I take it in the house and wife is full eye roll telling me to get it out but I have show it to the boy who was still in bed. He's was 10ish. I wake him up in his room and say look what I got. He pops up in his bed right then that snake lets loose a musk bomb. This is a 10x15 room and it's a gag inducing smell.

I wisk the snake out and shut his door. Last I heard was…

DAAAAAD!!!!!

I can still remember that stink.
Counterpoint
AG
SteveBott said:

My Musk story.

So about 20 years ago when I still got a thing called a newspaper. I wake up and roll out to pick my Sunday special. Damn if a nice 5 foot rat is going through my yard. Without hesitating I catch up to it and grab that bad boy. I was one proud papa.

I take it in the house and wife is full eye roll telling me to get it out but I have show it to the boy who was still in bed. He's was 10ish. I wake him up in his room and say look what I got. He pops up in his bed right then that snake lets loose a musk bomb. This is a 10x15 room and it's a gag inducing smell.

I wisk the snake out and shut his door. Last I heard was…

DAAAAAD!!!!!

I can still remember that stink.

Is it something that can be cleaned up (in the room), or do you just have to wait it out?
SteveBott
AG
We aired it out and mom sprayed the crap out of it. I left and did not go back in for a week so don't know
DoitBest
S
Our little dog really hates snake, ID help? Thanks

Daddy-O5
AG
Smashed face doesn't help but I believe it's a juvie PBWS.
DoitBest
S
We are on Oyster Creek in Lake Jackson, thanks, needed help convincing wife it's not a baby copper head.
maroon barchetta
800mDAD said:

We are on Oyster Creek in Lake Jackson, thanks, needed help convincing wife it's not a baby copper head.

Circle Way?
DoitBest
S
Oak
maroon barchetta
Gotcha.

My next guess was going to be Banyan.

Quit killing beneficial snakes!

DoitBest
S
Wasn't my idea, have relocated many back to the creek in 20+years, can you help me explain that to this little guy..
DoitBest
S
Didn't mean to post the pic again
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sorry, I don't speak Cata-Weiner or Weiner-Houla
maroon barchetta
Little?

That dog needs a diet!
DoitBest
S
Thanks, that's more info on whatever other half of mix this rescue is than the vet ever had
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Definitely a young plain bellied water snake. Young copperheads look just like adult copperheads, except they can have a yellow tail.
BuddysBud
AG
This guy was just outside the back door last week

Today my dog caught the scent of this coachwhip. It appeared to be at least 6 ft long. Great looking snake.

P.U.T.U
AG
Only saw 2 snakes on my run yesterday, both dbws. Getting to that time of year where the areas I mostly see them are getting low on water so it will be more difficult to see them in the numbers I see in the spring. I am hearing a ton of frogs and cicadas at night, sure there are plenty moving at night.
Mr. Frodo
AG
This is from a dove hunt a few years back.

Haven't seen one of these on this thread.

I thought these were the only ones that ate rattlers but a few others have been mentioned.

Can one of the experts rattle off the rattler killers in Texas ?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
They're called Kingsnakes for a reason
ttha_aggie_09
AG
There are quite a few species that can and will eat rattlesnakes in Texas. I'm not going to guarantee you this is all of them but some would be:

Indigo
Coachwhips
Racers
Kingsnakes
Cottonmouth

12f Mane
AG
Great picture. There's quite a few snake eaters in Texas. My list would go (no order):

coachwhip
coral snake
racer
indigo
kingsnake
cottonmouth

*edit ttha beat me to it
BabaAg
AG
Bullsnakes?
Mr. Frodo
AG
That guy was gonna be in the field, choking that down, as long as it took me to limit out.

So King Snake is the consensus on this one. Does not look like the google images of kings.

Anyone ever seen a cotton mouth eat a rattler?

Rattlers don't eat other snakes?
12f Mane
AG
Yes, that is a desert kingsnake. I'm assuming you were somewhere west of 35.

I haven't a cottonmouth eat a rattlesnake but there are probably images online. They eat anything, including hatchling turtles. I've seen them scrape runover toads and frogs off the road.

I don't think any of our native rattlesnakes eat other snakes, and certainly not routinely. They stick to mammals and birds.
12f Mane
AG
Good question. I don't recall seeing any photos of them eating snakes but they probably do.
Bulldog73
AG
I'm surprised to see coral snakes on here because part of why I've understood part of their ineffectiveness against people is abnormally small size of mouth. Now, I know almost nothing about snakes aside from what I've read here's so I very likely have misunderstood.
Mr. Frodo
AG
Yes, close Abilene on the hunt. Thx!
jgh85Ag
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I'm surprised to see coral snakes on here because part of why I've understood part of their ineffectiveness against people is abnormally small size of mouth. Now, I know almost nothing about snakes aside from what I've read here's so I very likely have misunderstood.
TFOS and I came across a coral snake eating a rough earth snake on a golf course near San Antonio. When the coral saw us, the spit out the rough earth snake and tried to take off. We felt bad for interrupting his lunch.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.