Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,624 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
japantiger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Bond Arms snake slayer
jgh85Ag
AG
Most guesses are cotton mouth. I think dbws due to body shape. But, not sure.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
ATX_AG_08
AG
cotton mouth 100%
12th Man Ag
AG
jgh85Ag said:

I'm 99.99% that is a cottonmouth.
Badace52
AG
jgh85Ag said:

This is a cottonmouth as stated above.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oh no
AG
That's a water moccasin!
MyNameIsJeff
AG
100% venomous northern cottonmouth. Cottonmouths are frequently pretty thick and taper down at the end, but that's not a good identifier. The pattern and head coloration on this one are all you need.
Mr. Frodo
AG
I didn't look closely but was thinking DBWS bc it had such a prominent pattern. I thought most of the WM/CMs had a muted pattern grey dark grey ish. … hardly noticeable. Epic Fail.
P.U.T.U
AG
Cottonmouths tend to have their head up at that angle, doesn't matter on land or water. That is normally my first visual tell.
japantiger
S
Had one of these try to get into my kayak with me and my son a few years back. I had seen this behavior when I was a kid fishing; my son of course didn't believe a cotton-mouth would charge at you in the water. He started beating the water to get its attention. I told him to stop and he laughed at me...He changed his tune after we had to fend it off with the paddle to keep it from getting in the kayak. He was 16 at the time...that was one of those days it was good to be Dad. He listened to me a lot more about those kind of matters after that.
P.U.T.U
AG
When I used to do triathlons I had one chase after me in the water. On the land I wouldn't be worried, in the water I had the disadvantage. Luckily I became one of those cartoons and probably could have ran on top of the water. My friend in the kayak following me wasn't much help since he was laughing so hard
japantiger
S
P.U.T.U said:

When I used to do triathlons I had one chase after me in the water. On the land I wouldn't be worried, in the water I had the disadvantage. Luckily I became one of those cartoons and probably could have ran on top of the water. My friend in the kayak following me wasn't much help since he was laughing so hard

If that had been me, it would have been called "the brown water incident"
12f Mane
AG
japantiger said:

Had one of these try to get into my kayak with me and my son a few years back. I had seen this behavior when I was a kid fishing; my son of course didn't believe a cotton-mouth would charge at you in the water. He started beating the water to get its attention. I told him to stop and he laughed at me...He changed his tune after we had to fend it off with the paddle to keep it from getting in the kayak. He was 16 at the time...that was one of those days it was good to be Dad. He listened to me a lot more about those kind of matters after that.

I don't think they are "charging" at you. They are dumb and see the kayak as the next dry land. Or they are picking up some sort of feeding que (splashing, scents, etc.). We have no native snakes that will attack unprovoked.
SpreadsheetAg
P.U.T.U
AG
12f Mane said:

japantiger said:

I don't think they are "charging" at you. They are dumb and see the kayak as the next dry land. Or they are picking up some sort of feeding que (splashing, scents, etc.). We have no native snakes that will attack unprovoked.

Well is my somewhat, okay very, panicked state when I was not as familiar with snakes it was coming after me with a knife in one hand, fork in the other, and napkin around its neck. Or not since that is impossible. What you said makes sense

I really do need to figure out why my brain always thinks in cartoon form
japantiger
S
12f Mane said:

japantiger said:

Intellectually I know this; but when he closed a 20 yd gap and his head peaked over the lip of the kayak, charging me vs instinctual reaction became a distinction without a difference.
PharmD4
AG
Smile!

Mathguy64
AG
Oh boy. My first rat snake that I have seen at the house in 29 years. I'm sure he's not an orphan. In a whiskey barrel planter box we were redoing with a poinsettia for Christmas.

davidmargarita
AG
This little guy was sunning on the cart path at Black Hawk yesterday. Maybe 10" long max. My guess was a juvi broad-banded water snake but wasn't sure. Relocated him so no one ran him over.
nealan
I think I agree with you
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Beautiful snakes but they can be some mean little buggers
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Yep, that's a broad banded. A very pretty one.
Badace52
jrrhouston98
AG
I have a really stupid question. My buddy has a ranch outside Laredo. He was there this weekend and sent me a video of a snake he came across. It was BIG. It stretched all the way across the road. It was jet black and moved slow until he got close and that thing took off really fast. He called it a King snake. I called it an Indigo. He said they're the same thing. I don't think they are. Are they?
12f Mane
AG
No, you are correct.
Daddy-O5
AG
I think there are "black kingsnakes" but not in your stated location to my knowledge (double checked with a quick google search as well). Sounds like an Indigo to me. Not "the same" snake by any means.
jrrhouston98
AG
Thank you
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Snake question - can snakes be bred across to make hybrids? (Like dogs)?
oh no
AG
What do you think a cobraconda is?
12f Mane
AG
Quite a few different species can interbreed as long as they are in the same genus, i.e. copperheads and cottonmouths, various species of rattlesnakes, and watersnakes. There have been recent instances of wild copperheadXcottonmouth crosses being found, and more interesting (to me at least) a timber rattlesnakeXeastern diamondback. We have two species of watersnake here along the Texas coast that interbreed often, putting into question whether they are even different species.

Gulf Saltmarsh Snake (Nerodia clarkii)

Broad-banded Watersnake (Nerodia fasciata)

"Hybrid"

Showing genetic influence of both:

Reginald Cousins
S
They've been doing the rattlesnakes on purpose for a while. Call them batwing rattlesnakes.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8y8Pu5y/
Txgunrnnr
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

They've been doing the rattlesnakes on purpose for a while. Call them batwing rattlesnakes.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8y8Pu5y/
Damn, I hope that bites him!
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
12f Mane
AG
That guy is a dewsh and the snake is obese
Reginald Cousins
S
12f Mane said:

That guy is a dewsh and the snake is obese

He is a dewsh but I watch nearly all his videos.

He has some magnificent animals.
Reginald Cousins
S
He already lost his finger and almost died from a king cobra in shed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.