Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,725 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yellow belly racer hiding in the lantanas.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
All those leaves made me start looking for the copperhead until I actually read the post.
txags92
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Yellow belly racer hiding in the lantanas.

I have always liked the way those snakes look. Good snake to have around amongst all your copperheads.
agcrock2005
AG
Stive said:

PBWS?
So can someone explain the differences in PBWS, YBWS and Blotched? I would have thought YBWS because you can see the yellow on the belly and jaw.
Badace52
AG
There's really very little difference. They are all Nerodia erythrogaster just different subspecies and sometimes just snakes in different stages of life.

The same snake that would be called a blotched water snake by most as a young snake may grow darker on its back with age and later in life be called a PBWS. YBWS have a yellow belly once they get older and that's about it to distinguish them from a PBWS. The subspecies also have slightly different ranges which overlap in areas.

There are more subspecies of Nerodia erythrogaster that live out east and one of them actually has a red belly as the name erythrogaster would suggest.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oragator
I can't upload a picture, but was hiking today (Strickler Knob trail in VA), and sprawled across the trail was about 3 or 3.5 foot timber rattler. I walked within about five feet of it to get around, damn thing never moved or even rattled. Must be used to people being around, but it was his trail and not mine apparently.
Ranger1743
AG
Thoughts on this big guy in a north San Antonio backyard? I have a 1-year old, not sure if I should be concerned.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TU5Bjaxkite5RGyW7
BabaAg
AG
Coachwhip?
LPCAg
AG

DatTallArchitect
AG
It's non-venomous. While the picture is grainy, I'm fairly certain that it's a coachwhip. They'll eat rattlesnakes without hesitation
Ranger1743
AG
Thanks, I was thinking coachwhip as well, but they have so many possible color variations, I wasn't sure.

The photo in the link should hopefully be a bit clearer if you zoom in.
Bulldog73
AG
It's obviously not a snake, but same family… We've had it hanging out around our porch in the Waco area, but he was dead when we went out today.
maroon barchetta
txags92
AG
Not a snake either, but cool visitor to my FIL's porch near Bergheim.

VaultingChemist
AG
I believe that is a Texas spiny lizard. I had one as a pet.
AZAG08
AG
Where in South Florida?
We live in Fort Myers and we see at least black racers once per week
5LB BASS
AG

This one greeted me over the weekend in Kerr County.
maroon barchetta
I know someone that would move if they came home to that.
Fishing Fools
maroon barchetta said:

I know someone that would move if they came home to that.

Share…
aggiedata
AG

Ayto Siks
We used to live in Fort Myers, but now we're in Venice. We did see a lot of black racers when we lived there. We also saw more types of lizards... Basilisk, red head agamas, an occasional iguana, etc
GasPasser97
AG

BreNayPop
AG
Beautiful nope rope
GasPasser97
AG
Ranch hand found it right behind MIL's house…so it had to be dispatched.
BreNayPop
AG
You can alway relocate to my MILs house. For future reference….
ttha_aggie_09
AG
BreNayPop said:

You can alway relocate to my MILs house. For future reference….
Sometimes rattlesnakes/vipers refuse to bite out of professional courtesy - so that may not be an effective strategy.
Pro Sandy
AG
One of my boys found this gopher snake while we were fishing in Southern California

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Really cool snakes
Sea Speed
AG
Do any of yall handle any non venomous snakes you come across? I've enjoyed catching the two I have found so far and showing them to my kids and letting my girls hold one, but we haven't found anything with any real size.

Mockingbird Ag
AG
Help! There is a ratsnake IN MY HOUSE. The cats have been hiding for 3 days, acting really strange. I just saw it sliding along the wall. What do I do? How can I catch it?
Sea Speed
AG
Speaking of handling snakes
Sea Speed
AG
Put on an oven mitt and grab it right behind the head
SteveBott
AG
Ha with your hands. Grab the dude as close as you can to head, neck. Don't worry about squirming or wrapping your arm. And then take him outside as soon as can cause he is going to spray a nasty musk. It will stink up the house.

Of course pics and videos are mandatory
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Any non-venomous snake I see and in the right environment (not with clients or around little kids terrified of snakes) I will catch. I've always been a weird person though….
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Nothing. That snake will find a meal and hopefully get out but it's not direct threat to anyone in your family.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.