Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,555 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A cottonmouth has the same pattern as a copperhead, only compressed along the length of the snake and in much darker colors. Once you see it you will remember it.

The head is very distinctively a viper head. The check pattern is very distinctive with a black strip over a creme one.

They also slither and swim with their head cocked up at an angle.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am on the south side of the lake. In May I go over there to jog and pick berries. Unfortunately, my berry picking spot was completely bare this year. Not sure if it was the freeze, or what, but like only 5 percent of last year's production. And, my other berry spot got dozed under to make a new neighborhood.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I have a generator snake question for the experts. Do venomous snakes inject venom into their prey? Or do they strangle them? Injecting venom seems taxing on the snake and what if the prey runs away before dying?
Cromagnum
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I have a generator snake question for the experts. Do venomous snakes inject venom into their prey? Or do they strangle them? Injecting venom seems taxing on the snake and what if the prey runs away before dying?

Apparently if they do it 10x you die.

Daddy-O5
AG

Killing prey is the primary use for a snake's venom. For the most part snakes kill with their venom OR constrict, but there might be some obscure snakes who do both (?).

Snakes who depend on their venom to eat usually carry potent enough venom to ensure their target prey isn't going far, some snakes like Hognoses (rear fanged) with very mild venom will hang onto their prey with their fangs to make sure the venom has a chance to take effect.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Now that's an autocorrect I haven't seen before.
Badace52
AG

In addition to what Daddy 05 said, snakes have an extremely well developed sense of smell. If prey does run a long way before dying, they can track the scent like a bloodhound.

The forked tongues are used to pick up scent and then the snake deposits the scent molecules from the tongue to an organ in the mouth called Jacobsons organ.

Depending on which side of the tongue has more scent molecules on it, the snake can tell the direction the scent is coming from.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.U.T.U
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

A cottonmouth has the same pattern as a copperhead, only compressed along the length of the snake and in much darker colors. Once you see it you will remember it.

The head is very distinctively a viper head. The check pattern is very distinctive with a black strip over a creme one.

They also slither and swim with their head cocked up at an angle.
The last comment is the easiest for me since sometimes their patterns can be dulled when they are need of a shed. Like anything else having experience seeing them helps identify them quickly. When you spend a lot of time in lakes and rivers you learn pretty quick which ones are nope nope ropes
4stringAg
AG
12f Mane said:

Definitely a garter snake. Location?

West TN
4stringAg
AG
Just saw this on a trail in San Antonio area. Hoping for an ID. Guessing a coach whip?

Reginald Cousins
S
4stringAg said:

Just saw this on a trail in San Antonio area. Hoping for an ID.

You know what they say...
ocling
AG
Black mamba
DatTallArchitect
AG
"High as you're hat, it's probably a rat."

I would go with rat snake
Reginald Cousins
S
DatTallArchitect said:

"High as you're hat, it's probably a rat."

I would go with rat snake
That's where I was going with my post...
4stringAg
AG
The head didn't look right for a rat snake. Was thinking a coachwhip or racer.
DDSO
AG
Scales make me think coachwhip. Not sure how much they climb though.
txags92
AG
I have seen one hanging over the mouth of Bracken Cave grabbing bats. They can climb just fine if there is something up there they want.
maroonblood90
AG
Coachwhip. Good climbers.
Daddy-O5
AG
I'm not 100% either but I'm going with coachwhip as well. Though rat is the logical answer that high, pretty sure they're decent climbers as well.
tree91
AG
We've really had a bumper crop of rat snakes this year. Never seen anything like it. Mrs. Tree is so used to it that she hardly screamed.

Badace52
AG
4stringAg said:

Just saw this on a trail in San Antonio area. Hoping for an ID. Guessing a coach whip?

You are correct. This is a coachwhip.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
krosch11
AG
Random question but where does the Texas Indigo usually roam?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I have seen a few where I hunt in Uvalde County (northern tip) and from what I understand, that is in the Northern part of their range. They're primarily a South Texas snake but where those lines are draw is an interesting question…
RED AG 98
AG
I've seen them in Bee, Nueces, and Refugio
SteveBott
AG
Quick search

maroon barchetta
krosch11 said:

Random question but where does the Texas Indigo usually roam?

My dad used to live on Lake Corpus Christi (Lake Mathis to those of us who know), and they would get some huge indigos out near there house.
krosch11
AG
Thanks for all the quick answers
RED AG 98
AG
Random story: the first one I ever saw was near Papalote, just outside the big city of Skidmore. I was about 16 or so. It was just before dusk so the light wasn't great. A good buddy and I were driving on their property on a narrow "road" to go work some fence. Buddy was driving; I was eating breakfast tacos in the passenger seat of his old C1500. I glance up and see something blocking the road; 100% convinced a limb had fallen down across the road I grab the door handle to hop out and clear the road. Before my foot even hits the ground the "limb" starts crawling off and few seconds later completely disappeared into the brush.

We looked around for it but never found it. Eventually I laid across the road to try to get a comparison. It had to be over 6' long and was at least as big around as my arm. Second largest snake I've ever seen in the wild.

(The largest was some random snake I hooked in the water off a pier at Lake Texana when I was like 5. We realized it was dead and my grandpa just cut my line and let it sink/float away. I wish I had a picture. This thing might've been someone's pet that got away because it was bigger around than my leg. And not 20 minutes later we saw a park ranger relocating a coral snake that was near the near the parking lot. Went there quite a bit with grandpa and that place was covered with snakes and gar.)
krosch11
AG
Great story thanks for sharing. Reason I asked is a neighbor was talking about one he saw while hunting in south Texas . I didn't know if they made it far enough to the hill country where I am but it's one id like to see.

For what it's worth his story was similar to yours. Very long very muscular looking snake.
maroon barchetta
My dad and step-mom were out walking one evening and she pointed up the road and said "someone lost a big rope out of their truck".

As they got closer my dad said "that rope is going to move in a second". When they got a little closer it took off into the brush.

He said that one was probably 8' long and as thick as his forearm.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This picture sucks but it's all I have from a video I took. This indigo crawled under my tree stand and into the feed pen. He was stretched out from t-post to t-post that is half of a 16' panel… he was a very big guy!

Still mad I didn't jump down and catch him but didn't want to bust my hunt.
SteveBott
AG
Question for the snake guys, what is the largest native snake in the US?
RED AG 98
AG
The would be the eastern indigo in FL. The longest at just over 9' is about a foot longer than the largest Texas indigo on record.
cww18
AG
Help on this ID? Montgomery, Texas. Thanks!

https://ibb.co/VpN17jV
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Buttermilk Racer

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.