Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,615 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dekay's?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Dekay's?
Yes.
HoldMyBeer
AG
I love this thread!
boulderaggie
AG
What's the board's view on how to handle a rattlesnake in the yard? Fwiw, i handled it.
12f Mane
AG
Personal preference
MouthBQ98
AG
I have a picture so where of a Dekays fouled up in my palm and it's smaller than a quarter.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
boulderaggie said:

What's the board's view on how to handle a rattlesnake in the yard? Fwiw, i handled it.
As cool as I think snakes are, anything venomous in my yard will meet mr shovel. Not risking it with a toddler.

FTAG 2000
AG
boulderaggie said:

3S method. Or just straight shovel.
rak1693
AG
boulderaggie said:

We kill them if they're near the house or the barn since we had a horse get bit in the stall at the barn.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Won't ever know for certain, but this is just about the exact location I saw that juvi coachwhip about a month ago.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
agcrock2005
AG
Are you folks that live out in the country noticing that there's more snakes near water since it's so scarce? I'm going dove hunting this weekend in very dry place that has three ponds with water. My assumption, which is just that, is that snakes from all over the ranch are going to be closer to the ponds that we are hunting making it more likely to encounter some. Good assumption, or do they leave in search of other places, or die off without enough water?
Badace52
AG
In general they will congregate near water during times of drought, but it depends on the species. some species of snake require very little water and don't mind longer periods of drought too much. The water snakes, garter snakes, cottonmouths, and other heavily water dependent species (more for feeding than water really) will definitely be more concentrated in times of drought.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agcrock2005
AG
OK, thanks. It's an hour south of Abilene so there aren't any water snakes or cottonmouths that I've ever seen. Lot of rattlesnakes though.
HoldMyBeer
AG
I was going to make a comment similar to Badace52, if they aren't going there for water then more likely just following their food sources (that are going to the water).
DoitBest
S
Seems to me that the above photo clearly shows the only thing you may encounter is the desiccated remains of any would be threat, However, snake boots and gaiters may not be a bad idea either...
agcrock2005
AG
Def wearing snake boots. Very glad that we don't have the brush we had a few years ago when dove hunting where you were walking in waist high plants trying to find your bird. I shot a bird and a few minutes later when I found it there was a snake eating it already. Very frightening. Was a bullsnake but still woke me up!
DoitBest
S
Dang! good luck & have fun with it
P.U.T.U
AG
Normally see water snakes in this area right around the water but this one was about 75 yards between 2 creeks just chilling in the grass. Pretty brave/stupid since I just saw 2 owls in the area and he was out in the open

12f Mane
AG
About to become an owl snack
MouthBQ98
AG
Drought has all the snakes gone except an occasional big rat snake. Found a couple of 4-5 footers the last few days at night prowling the garage area.
NoahAg
Young cottonmouth smiling at me. Broad banded water snake acting tough.

AG
Morning walk, looking at TexAgs and catch some movement in my peripheral vision.

AG

ttha_aggie_09
AG
That buzz is not your phone on vibrate...
AG
I'm not as good as 12f Mane at getting them to pose in good light and position. This guy wanted to do his own thing. He only half rattled a few times, guess he knew I wasn't a feral hog.

Ironically, this is back to the same area as the prior coachwhip picture.

AG
Also, for some of you, not a Rat Snake.

Texmid
AG
Am I counting 11 rattles and a button?
krosch11
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Rattle back water snake right?
Mathguy64
AG
I must live life wrong. I have never seen a rattlesnake in the wild. Never seen a cottonmouth. Never seen a coral snake.

The number of copperheads I have seen is probably under 10.

I have been outdoors all my life. I've hunted WT for 40 years and been around water and boats a lot. So I have spent a lot of time where they would be and I look carefully. I never walk to or away from or get in or out of a deer stand without looking everywhere.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Don't worry, they see you
jgh85Ag
AG
krosch11 said:

Rattle back water snake right?
looks like a 6 footer for sure too!
AG
Texmid said:

I wasn't going to try to ask for him to hold still. But that begs the question since there isn't any really good perspective in the picture. That is a standard curb, about 6 inches. What is the general expectation on age and rattles or does it just vary widely?

Mathguy64
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

You people see them walking the dog on concrete. Thats the part I dont get.
Texmid
AG

Texmid said:

I wasn't going to try to ask for him to hold still. But that begs the question since there isn't any really good perspective in the picture. That is a standard curb, about 6 inches. What is the general expectation on age and rattles or does it just vary widely?
I've always heard one year per rattle. That snake looks small to me compared to the curb. Like it may be 3 feet long.
AG
Mathguy64 said:

DatTallArchitect said:

You people see them walking the dog on concrete. Thats the part I dont get.

It's a damn consssssspiracy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.